DPReview TV: Mid-Range APS-C Mirrorless Shootout (Canon M6 Mk II, Sony a6400, Nikon Z50, Fuji X-T30)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 22 ноя 2019
  • This week Chris and Jordan compare four popular mid-range APS-C mirrorless cameras: the Canon M6 Mark II, Nikon Z50, Sony a6400 and the Fujifilm X-T30. Which one is right for you?
    Available to Purchase At:
    Canon M6 Mark II (used) - fave.co/4aTSH5a
    Nikon Z50 - fave.co/44pnAvN
    Fujifilm X-T30 - fave.co/3Wpb0L8
    Music provided by BeatSuite.com
    www.beatsuite.com
    -----------------------
    DPReview.com is the world's largest digital camera review website. Welcome to our RUclips channel! Subscribe for new feature videos, reviews, interviews and more.
    Discover the world's most in-depth digital camera reviews at www.dpreview.com
  • НаукаНаука

Комментарии • 979

• @dpreview
    @dpreview  4 года назад +236

Note: at 3:03 it should say - "#4 Nikon Z50" Apologies for the typo.

• @RobertLeBlancPhoto
      @RobertLeBlancPhoto 4 года назад +5

Thanks. I thought my condition was acting up again. My mom is a member of DAM: Mothers Against Dyslexia.

• @Rohanhola
      @Rohanhola 3 года назад +2

how much can the rolling shutter be an issue with a6400?

• @victorj1415
      @victorj1415 2 года назад +1

At 10:16,when it comes to the #2 (sony) lens section , it shows behind #4canon, #3nikon, but it was listed #4nikon, #3canon before.
      Also I don't really get what you mean with "their roadmap consist of just the 18 to 150 lens" in the nikon lens description, do you mean fixed focal lenses?

• @spikeweb5193
      @spikeweb5193 Год назад

Bad you say z50

• @samgerers
    @samgerers 4 года назад +44

About the Z50: "You get decent autofocus in video." You were using AF-C, the good video autofocus is AF-F!

• @thinkinginpictures4071
    @thinkinginpictures4071 4 года назад +192

Every time you slammed a camera down I cried.

• @drazenzuvela1647
      @drazenzuvela1647 4 года назад +2

Me too!

• @moxym5297
      @moxym5297 4 года назад

LOL me too.

• @robt4194
      @robt4194 4 года назад

Yea - I design micro electronics - slamming is not good for reliability - alot of g forces. Treat them like real babies.

• @willsjobeck2401
      @willsjobeck2401 4 года назад

Way late but it was bothering me too. After a few watches, my guess is they picked them all up and reversed the footage in post.

• @doomsdaydiesel
      @doomsdaydiesel 3 года назад

@@willsjobeck2401 The 1st place camera in the 2nd round wobbled after he set it down. It wouldn't be sitting there wobbling on its own before he picked it up.

• @libafried5840
    @libafried5840 4 года назад +47

I don't know about the other cameras, but if the z50 has the same IQ as the d500 then it is leaps and bounds above the a6400 in IQ. It better in low light/high ISO and better in video IQ.

• @skyrunr
    @skyrunr 4 года назад +18

This review perfectly summaries ALL of my major frustrations shopping for reasonably priced mid-range mirrorless cameras. As I'm testing a Z50 along with my trusty D500, I've concluded that I wish "professional gear" had the scene modes in consumer cameras and smartphones. Still, I believe a better approach is to photography is hardware that utilizes a smartphone for ALL processing, viewing, and storage. Sony was on the right track with the QX series.
    So far the Z50 is MUCH better with faster (affordable/value) DX lenses than the Z lenses and the last firmware update.

• @hiresmusic
    @hiresmusic 4 года назад +18

D500/Z50 sensor is super good on High ISOs,not every fulframe sensor has comparable HighIso perfomance! Its latests,copper based design,so this sensor is still fresh.

• @j_a_lee
    @j_a_lee 3 года назад +1

Just subscribed. I've recently watched quite a few of your videos and examined a few more sample pictures on the road to buying a camera kit. Now I find myself watching for the entertainment value! Hard and fast and fair stuff with a sprinkling of humour. Love it!

• @diyateli1671
    @diyateli1671 4 года назад +1

This is such an incredible comparison. I cannot thank you enough!

• @border056
    @border056 4 года назад +5

Thanks for the video. I pulled the trigger on the X-T30 with the 18-55 kit lens. This is my first real camera and I’m super excited.

• @bijosn
      @bijosn Месяц назад

as a sony user, i will say fuji is the most fun. I have a sony a7iv but picked up a fuji xt30 ii for the fun factor

• @harrywix
    @harrywix 4 года назад +3

So much covered in so little time. Thank you!!!

• @marwaelchazlycp
    @marwaelchazlycp 4 года назад +1

yes I'm about changing to mirrorless category and really your review helped a lot...Thank you

• @FLLOVERUSA
    @FLLOVERUSA 4 года назад +1

Hey Chris, enjoy your show. You are very knowledgeable about the cameras. I’ve watched you so many times. Keep up the good work Chris.

• @indreshpatel
    @indreshpatel 4 года назад +282

Wrong caption of a6400 for nikon z50 in Image qaulity no.4

• @scdobserver835
      @scdobserver835 4 года назад +5

3:03

• @rogeryoung3587
      @rogeryoung3587 4 года назад +6

* quality

• @ZikovanDijk
      @ZikovanDijk 4 года назад

Yes, I just noticed, too. Can happen. :-)

• @stevesvids
      @stevesvids 4 года назад +2

Heads will roll for this... lol.... simple error.... it's only youtube guys. 😊👍 consistently great vids from these two... always a good watch. 👍

• @thegreatestlight1
      @thegreatestlight1 4 года назад +2

Yes those Sony cameras are looking more like Nikons every day

• @karunverma1
    @karunverma1 4 года назад +20

I believe the z50 sensor is newer than the a6400 sensor. Also its much better in low light. Its a smartphone consumer mindset to think that 24mp is better than 20mp

• @semireality
    @semireality 4 года назад +1

Thank you for your review and I've picked up my XT-30 yesterday. A huge improvement over my old XT-1 to be honest at a very reasonable price point.

• @kertbonior1885
    @kertbonior1885 4 года назад +1

I just recently bought Fuji XT30 and i didnt regret buying it! And the kit lens XF 18-55mm was very superb! Amazing Fuji!

• @PieterBreda
    @PieterBreda 4 года назад +147

The introductions are getting even more hilarious.

• @skakdosmer
      @skakdosmer 4 года назад +4

Substitute “worse”, and I’ll concur.

• @kevinbreese5739
    @kevinbreese5739 3 года назад +62

Strange... Every other review I've seen praises the Z50's two kit lenses.

• @CaressLorthaya
    @CaressLorthaya 2 года назад +1

This was an AMAZING comparison my goodness!

• @PhotoKenji
    @PhotoKenji 4 года назад +1

Thank you so much for the comparison!! Professional & precise!! Good job!!

• @ShantanuMonga
    @ShantanuMonga 3 года назад +6

Bought z50, Happy with that. Uploaded a short cinematic 40 sec video.

• @ShajiCee
    @ShajiCee 4 года назад +17

The pop up flash is usable in Nikon . In Sony it’s too low that it hardly passes the lens .z50 video is really good

• @harrywix
    @harrywix 4 года назад

Great idea to do this comparison! Well focussed and so helpful.

• @alanliao7044
    @alanliao7044 4 года назад

Got a XT 30 with 35mm f2 prime lens. They are all FANTASTIC! The well balanced look and light weight are extraordinary. Can’t love them more

• @productguru8323
    @productguru8323 4 года назад +7

Great comparison! After watching this, I decided to go for a M43 camera!

• @mvhan911
      @mvhan911 3 года назад

Which mft with small form factor and great auto focus ?

• @andreasbuder4417
    @andreasbuder4417 4 года назад +49

To be honest, there is no clear winner, because they are all great cameras with different strenghts and weaknesses. So, your decision should be based on your needs, because that defines, which camera is the best - for you!

• @johnxantoro5511
      @johnxantoro5511 4 года назад +8

There is a clear loser, though: Nikon. The lens support is just unacceptable and if their F-Mount APS-C track record is any indication, it's not going to change. Don't buy Nikon APS-C.

• @andreasbuder4417
      @andreasbuder4417 4 года назад +2

@@johnxantoro5511 I dont necessarily see that. After all, with the 1.8 primes, you get robust build and weathersealing, something I would like to have. Other than that, for the time being, you are probably right.
      In my case, the M6 ii is the best bet, because I crop frequently. I can digitally crop 2x, and still get 8MP with almost 1-inch sensor size left.(using the primes for enough resolving power). Sufficient for good 16x24 inch prints.

• @johnxantoro5511
      @johnxantoro5511 4 года назад +6

@@andreasbuder4417 The thing is this: FF lenses on APS-C is good for Nikon but bad for the customer. You pay with weight, size and money for an image circle you simply don't need.
      Nikon doesn't respect APS-C at all and it is easy to demonstrate: F-Mount APS-C (DX) has been around for 18 (!!) years and Nikon only made 4 primes for it so far. Two of those primes are macros and one is a fucking fisheye. In 18 years Nikon didn't bother to even make a 35 or 28 or 85 mm equiv. lens for DX. It's absolutely pathetic and an insult to the customer.

• @HappyHubris
      @HappyHubris 4 года назад +2

Hey hey hey this is the internet, buddy! You're supposed to make black and white statements and then fight over them tooth and nail.

• @Rek-55
      @Rek-55 4 года назад +1

@@johnxantoro5511 simply adapt other lense to other SLR manufacturer..

• @Jaguar7
    @Jaguar7 3 года назад

I love these videos.... straight to the point. None of that extra fluff

• @JB_Hobbies
    @JB_Hobbies 4 года назад +2

I’m just so glad that through a little research and a lot of dumb luck I picked up a Sony a6000 a number of years ago on Black Friday. Sony has such a robust mirrorless system, and their one-mount strategy creates a path between their enthusiast and pro cameras, which is a very valuable benefit. When I bought my full frame body, I didn’t also have to scramble and buy all new glass because I planned ahead and bought a few full frame lenses for my a6000 before I got a full frame body.

• @JB_Hobbies
      @JB_Hobbies 3 года назад

@SF6 I disagree with you. The one mount making it easy for me to go to full frame was one of the reasons I went with Sony. This let me stay with the same system and keep all my old gear once I decided to go full frame. Knowing this, I bought both full frame and aps-c lenses for my a6000. Once I decided to go full frame, I already had some full frame lenses that I was already using and didn't immediately need to go buy new lenses. In my personal experience, I found the one mount to be very practical and valuable due to its flexibility.

• @alanplatt888
    @alanplatt888 4 года назад +5

I thought a very well presented review packed with information, nice one, thanks

•  3 года назад +13

all i say in this video, nikon z50 is underrated, better than most i think..

• @artmaltman
    @artmaltman 4 года назад

Excellent comprehensive review & comparison. Thank you!

• @Lurreable
    @Lurreable 4 года назад

Thanks for the review - very useful comparisons!

• @svenoyntzen6162
    @svenoyntzen6162 4 года назад +12

This looks like the right place to ask a question about the Z50: I was shooting the z50 with FtZ adapter and Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 at lowlight event conditions . When shooting at ISO 1600+ at F4 -200 I got yellow and purple horizontal lines in some picture. When I was shooting outside at daylight it was gone? No idea what I did wrong. We shot at the same event with the d800 and had no problems at all. Could this be a sensor problem or am I doing something wrong? ps: the z50 was overall a lot more fun to shoot with than the heavy d800;)

• @MadEnglishTV
    @MadEnglishTV 4 года назад +6

You guys are awesome. 😃😃

• @chippy511
    @chippy511 4 года назад

Good video as always keep up the good work Chris 👍😉

• @Dumbledorethefirst
    @Dumbledorethefirst 4 года назад +2

I love this video! Nicely done!

• @simonyoung1339
    @simonyoung1339 4 года назад +33

Some things that should be noted:
    1. The X-T30 has a 10 minute time limit in 4K.
    2. The M6ii overheats after about 40 minutes of continuous 4K.
    3. The M6ii is a very laggy camera when it comes to photos, with an obnoxiously loud shutter that vibrates through the whole body. After pressing the shutter the screen then freezes an instant that is certainly noticeable and irritating.
    4. The Z50 looks cleaner than the previously mentioned when recording video in higher iso and it doesn’t overheat, but has no compact primes.

• @sethmaclaren5774
      @sethmaclaren5774 4 года назад +1

is no.3 actually a problem? i haven't seen that mentioned anywhere else

• @simonyoung1339
      @simonyoung1339 4 года назад +1

Seth MacLaren No the lower noise is not a problem but they should have mentioned it as a positive.

• @Rek-55
      @Rek-55 4 года назад +3

And you not noticed Z50 have cosmic price, and not better quality...

• @simonyoung1339
      @simonyoung1339 4 года назад +2

Rek-5 ?

• @sethmaclaren5774
      @sethmaclaren5774 4 года назад

@@simonyoung1339 sorry you have two no.3's, I meant the Canon lag and shutter sound

• @Lurreable
    @Lurreable 4 года назад +4

It would be interesting to see how the EOS RP compares. It's about the same price as any of these plus lenses with either the 35 mm or the new F4-7.1 zoom.

• @frenchfries8745
    @frenchfries8745 4 года назад +1

Top notch quality video at perfect time. Thanks alot

• @aaronfarmer33
    @aaronfarmer33 3 года назад

Thanks for this great shoot out video. I am now looking into 4K video and yes the Fuji it will be.

• @luthval
    @luthval 4 года назад +4

Very happy with the M6II and the EF-M 32mm 1.4... Great combo (and adapter with the Tamron macro SP 90mm 2.8). No problem with the EVF, always on the camera. Great image quality and ergonomy. Video, I don't use.

• @mbismbismb
      @mbismbismb Год назад

Ikr dunno why this channel prefer it over the fuji awful menu

• @mohsin_sait
    @mohsin_sait 4 года назад +53

3:03 is messed up.

• @chandlerwilliams4415
    @chandlerwilliams4415 3 года назад

excellent content, much appreciated - thanks guys!

• @glpro2696
    @glpro2696 4 года назад +1

Excellent job as always

• @CuriousGoose
    @CuriousGoose 4 года назад +3

I love the Tomb raider sounds.

• @jamesryan1939
    @jamesryan1939 4 года назад +35

The z50 feels like a pro camera, keeps up with specs, and shares the mount with the full frame lineup. Nikon did a great job on this camera.

• @denyxrunner
      @denyxrunner 4 года назад

James Ryan agree but right now it make no sense because they aren’t lens

• @Stefan1968ful
      @Stefan1968ful 4 года назад

James Ryan Well, but it’s just a Nikon.

• @SergeyCoder
      @SergeyCoder 4 года назад

No lenses - no party. Also these lenses are too pricey.

• @aniketsuryawanshi8612
    @aniketsuryawanshi8612 3 года назад

Thanks Chris this video is very informative and simple to understanding 👍

• @msandersen
    @msandersen 4 года назад +2

I’d agree with this assessment and rating, at least from what I know it’s fair. When I was ready to give mirrorless a try, I was, still am, using a Canon 80D and happy overall with APS-C with Sigma lenses (Canon isn’t committed to quality and affordable APS-C lenses). Canon came out with the M5, and I went over all the reviews and samples, but the one thing that stuck out then, consistently, despite the M line having been around for years, there were few lenses, and all slow plasticky lenses. I wanted to do more street with fast primes, things like size, the right lens selection, ergonomics, and frankly style, was important. Canon has always been great in ergonomics, the button layout looked intuitive, but the others were a letdown, and then there was price. M43 was a step too far for me, so it was a question of Sony or Fuji. There’s something about Sony I don’t like, and frankly the retro silver Fuji felt just right, and the lens selection of quality small, fast and mostly affordable primes made the choice for me. If Canon had a good lineup of lenses ready and a camera like the m6 mkII, I would probably have stuck with Canon, just because that was what I was used to. If I had a lot of spare cash lying around, I would be happy to test it out again, but my faith in their commitment to APS-C is waning. Even on my 80D, it’s all Sigma. The 80D is a reliable workhorse, where I don’t mind bigger heavier lenses, or looking ‘pro’, whereas the x-t20 is for fun walk around and street where I like having a selection of primes from 9mm to 50mm, plus the 55-200mm zoom, in my bag without getting backpain, a small, light camera that’s quiet and non-intrusive you can blend into a crowd with, without people, including security guards, thinking you’re a pro. Even other photographers keep mistaking my silver x-t20 for a film camera, as I have a thumb grip on it that looks like a rewind lever at a glance. Btw, my favourite street lens is the 23mm f1.4, followed by ironically, the 18-55mm (a ‘lowly’ kit lens, the first lens along with the 35mm I got with the camera).

• @zeissiez
    @zeissiez 4 года назад +6

We can go on comparing features, image quality etc. But I always feel like there’s Fujifilm, and there’s the rest.

• @anubratapradhan2685
    @anubratapradhan2685 4 года назад +39

After weeks of research I'm going to get a X-T30 next Sunday.. wish me the best! 😊

• @romualdb5968
      @romualdb5968 4 года назад +1

hi there did u have it? can u do a review? i'm looking for good quality picture of my daughter (so portrait and movement) is it good one?

• @jaym2356
      @jaym2356 4 года назад +1

How did you find it? I’m planning to get one too soon

• @emmanuelpamei4657
      @emmanuelpamei4657 4 года назад

I would pick the same.

• @ronaldmontilla6239
      @ronaldmontilla6239 4 года назад +1

I just got the xt30 this holiday season because of the big discount they offered. I do mostly photography, and im super impressed with the image quality even using only the kitlens.

• @anubratapradhan2685
      @anubratapradhan2685 4 года назад +1

@@romualdb5968, it's awesome.. it has great handling, picture quality, video and quite high end features. It's really the little giant!

• @kithg
    @kithg 2 года назад

Very helpful. Downsizing from a Nikon DX system, and exploring my options.

• @seanimal3
    @seanimal3 4 года назад

Really great comparisons

• @jonbarnard7186
    @jonbarnard7186 4 года назад +13

"The image quality didn't blow me away." Kind of vague.

• @bodkinsbestphotography
    @bodkinsbestphotography 4 года назад +25

God, that scene change soundbite is driving me nuts. Every time I hear it I check my phone thinking it's an eBay notification...

• @byghareeb-7571
    @byghareeb-7571 2 года назад

Thank you so much for this fantastic review 🙏😍

• @michaelsmith697
    @michaelsmith697 4 года назад

Thanks for a really good and interesting video. After watching many videos I decided on the Fujifilm X-T30. I love it! It's a great camera not only for really decent photos from an APS-C sensor but it's a nice size for travelling. And importantly it has a really cool user experience! I'm bored with the Sony type system and menu. Basically I'm a Nikon Guy and have a D7500 and later I'll get a Z6. I lived having different systems to work with. I think the Fuji takes the cake here!

• @Ponyxlnl
    @Ponyxlnl 4 года назад +24

Lovely video yet again. I baught a X-T30 and i'm really happy with its performence. The glas is simply fantastic and not extremely expensive. The only downside (and its a major one) is that Fuji X-trans camera's have issues with their raw files in Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. Sometimes rendering the images useless for propper editing.

• @JonInLondon
      @JonInLondon 4 года назад +3

Do you have a recent Lightroom or an older one, as they have made quite a few changes? (Also Silkypix and Capture One are good, plus whatever Iridient solution is available for our platform, although perhaps too much of a pain on Windows.)

• @adiprasetya2261
      @adiprasetya2261 4 года назад +1

hi @Ponyxlnl you can update your Adobe Lightroom to the latest version. It supports Fuji's RAF. Or many people prefer to use Capture One that said it gives their better RAW processing for Fuji's RAF than other apps.

• @xmlthegreat
      @xmlthegreat 4 года назад +3

There is a free version of Capture One for Fuji, you can use that to export DNGs if you don't want to use C1 itself for editing (you should try it at least)

• @flpideas1
      @flpideas1 4 года назад +1

Set detail slider to 0 and use sharpening / masking with detail slider set to 0. Try it, it works for me

• @Ponyxlnl
      @Ponyxlnl 4 года назад

@@JonInLondon I have done. It supports it but still issues. I use capture one. I just don't like it too much.

• @gordonyz4
    @gordonyz4 4 года назад +57

I keep checking my eBay notifications

• @shreddz
      @shreddz 4 года назад +1

Seriously! It got me the first two times

• @EpicNovA97
      @EpicNovA97 4 года назад +5

@@LuLeBe On android phones, the default notification sound for eBay was the sound they used for the image quality test reveal @ 2:52

• @einmanaulfur
      @einmanaulfur 3 года назад

lol, was looking for this comment!

• @jaydunkley6878
      @jaydunkley6878 3 года назад

Same!!!!

• @noahbroers8005
    @noahbroers8005 3 года назад

I recently bought the canon and i dont regret it after watching this video. We had some lenses left from full frame canon cameras and i prefer pictures over videos

• @nickolaifrancisnebab141
    @nickolaifrancisnebab141 4 года назад

Great video. Thanks for the guide.

• @squalie9
    @squalie9 4 года назад +97

I don't understand why Sony continues to get knocked for their grip, while fuji continues to skate through with that paltry grip.

• @rexonpadre864
      @rexonpadre864 4 года назад +4

Agreed

• @SoundSpeeding
      @SoundSpeeding 4 года назад +28

Because of the rest of the ergonomics about the Fuji is GREAT

• @squalie9
      @squalie9 4 года назад +4

@@SoundSpeeding Aside from grip everything else is subjective. Very few people care about a bunch of dials

• @SoundSpeeding
      @SoundSpeeding 4 года назад +16

@@squalie9 an extra dial is a commonly mentioned feature that people appreciate. Would you rather use Sony a5100 which has very few external controls of the Fuji X-T3 which has everything at your finger tips?

• @tim2163
      @tim2163 4 года назад +2

Sony sucks

• @Asmoc23
    @Asmoc23 4 года назад +16

I"m loving the Sony's ugliness point and shoot look. When i'm taking pictures everyone ignores me. It's perfect! :D

• @danielwiednerfotografie663
    @danielwiednerfotografie663 4 года назад +1

Thx for your help! Would love to see a buyers guide video for semi professional just because I like your videos and your entertainment :) have a nice one

• @sajisivasankarannair3268
    @sajisivasankarannair3268 4 года назад

nice one! really want to see a full-frame shootout

• @p.sethia1830
    @p.sethia1830 4 года назад +9

i love my nikon Z50 with 50mm f/1.8!

• @stehlealexander
    @stehlealexander 4 года назад +26

M43 !!!!!! This Episode was shoot with it!!!

• @problemat1que
      @problemat1que 4 года назад +2

I agree, they play in this market. (Enthusiast, price conscious.) I like the pioneering work by Olympus in the computational direction, and that you get two camera brands in one mount. I didn't like the price they ask for what you get. Future sensor generations (global shutter, counting wells) may well make MFT the sweet spot for certain applications (especially telefocus sport and wildlife, and even high DOF studio portrait).

• @mikelobdell2666
      @mikelobdell2666 4 года назад +1

I have to agree that it makes it seem like they are saying that if you are considering midrange enthusiast then m4/3 should not even be on your radar.
      I think that M4/3 has to be compared to apsc. That would include pointing out where you lose (noise, megapixels)and where you win (size, lenses stabilization)

• @sirfabio
      @sirfabio 4 года назад +2

I left a comment now, they ignored one of the very best cameras in the market which is the Olympus E-M5 III

• @JC-fj7oo
      @JC-fj7oo 4 года назад

Olympus fanboys right now lmao

• @Vinterloft
      @Vinterloft 2 года назад

m4/3 is fine for casual photographers and broke prosumers but APS-C is the entry sensor size where you can find any professional cameras. (Dual SD card slots, weather sealing, rugged, availability of lenses that are equal to at least f1.8 on full frame)

• @chilibean680
    @chilibean680 4 года назад

XT 30 mighty little workhorse ! Just love it!

• @sofronio.
    @sofronio. 4 года назад +1

good content, straight to the point

• @SuperLisandro86
    @SuperLisandro86 4 года назад +15

Agree with all the video, expect with the lenses part. Yeah, Fuji has nice native APSC lenses, but the choice in sony is bigger:
    The Sigma trio: 16, 30 and 56mm f1.4 that give a run for the monay to the Fuji counterparts (and in the case of the 30mm and 56mm, has also better AF too).
    Small FF lenses: You can use the good 28mm f2, 35mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8. And in the case of 28, 50 and 85, they have a really good pricing too.
    Telephoto: Wildlife and sports are better covered with all the telephoto lenses Sony has, while Fuji only offers the 100-400 and the 200 f2 + TC.
    Future: Tamron just released a 28mm and 35mm f2.8 that are really good and with great close focus, with a 20mmf2.8 coming, and also a 17-28 f2.8 that is really nice.
    Also, Fuji has a major lens flaw: The 35mm f1.4, and 56mm f1.2 has terrible AF, and the 23mm f1.4 is far from the "Fujicrons" in this aspect too, so much that in every fujirumorus website, when they made polls about new lenses, they mark II version of this lenses are always the most demanded.

• @_fn_5344
      @_fn_5344 4 года назад +1

I agree, the lens selection for Sony E mount is by far the biggest. There are no really long telelens available for Fuji and third party lenses are lacking.
      Both Fujifilm and Sony needs to release mark 2 version of some of their oldest lenses, but Fuji probably more so than Sony.

• @chrissoclone
      @chrissoclone 4 года назад +3

and yet the 35 1.4 is still the one you can pry from my cold dead hands. It's older, it's not as fast as the newer ones, yet it's lovely and charismatic and in no way "bad" just because it's not fast enough or weather sealed. Calling it a "major flaw" can only come from people who are comparing stats, not pictures. Some people use all manual Leica lenses, they're not usually known as the flaws of the lineup...

• @problemat1que
      @problemat1que 4 года назад

Even the infamous XF 35mm F1.4 focuses as fast as I can press the shutter on a current gen (X-T3/X-T30) body for single AF. For continuous AF, it's another story but I wouldn't shoot sports with these lenses anyway.

• @uaaadingding
    @uaaadingding 4 года назад +8

hey @DPReview, owning a Sony A-6300 I agree that this cam has ergonomics issues, but to complain about its (existing) grip and not eviscerate the Fuji for THEIR non existing grip I'd call non balanced.

• @Rohemne
    @Rohemne 2 года назад +2

I care mostly about photography and only marginally about video, so the Canon is the choice for me. First in class with image quality and second for autofocus, that's fantastic. And now, in 2022, also the lens category got much much better. Just snatched one for 885€ with the kit lenses and the viewfinder, can't wait 'till I put my hands on it

• @mbismbismb
      @mbismbismb Год назад

Same i wont shoot video that long except b rolls and with a camera with small battery capacity, i rather get a dedicated one

• @balamuruganj6058
    @balamuruganj6058 3 года назад

Fantastic presentation mate👍🏼

• @Votjko
    @Votjko 4 года назад +3

Wondering why cost of the cameras wasn't part of the equation as thats almost always the biggest reason to get one over the other?

• @adiprasetya2261
    @adiprasetya2261 4 года назад +14

Great review & comparison Chris 🙂
    I'm Fuji & Canon user. Do you notice about freezing issue on X-T30?
    That bad thing happens a lot on mine mostly when I use it for studio portrait with manual mode (SS 1/125, ISO 160, and Aperture ranges about 4 to 8). It can freezes for more than 5 times during about 3 or 4 hours of photo shoot. It really makes me so bad because i missed a lot of great moments when taking portrait picture due to freezes accidentally. When my X-T30 freezes, the lamp indicator above joystick turn orange and I've to take the battery off then insert it again. So Annoying.
    I used to think this freezing issue just happens to my X-T30. But it happens too to many people I'd read/watched their experience from googling. It happened since previous generations like X-T20 or X-T2. And i wonder why Fuji doesnt aware this issue.
    So, in my opinion, Fuji X-T30 is unreliable camera for portrait photography untill they release new firmware to fix this annoying & embarrasing issue. Fuji should assures that everything basic is well done or running smoothly without any problem before they improve their product with additional or advanced features.

• @_shreyash_anand
      @_shreyash_anand 4 года назад +3

Had mine now for 5 and a half months. Works absolutely fine. No such issues whatsoever.

• @adiprasetya2261

@@_shreyash_anand did you ever use it for portrait in manual mode with flash trigger attached? (i'm using godox X2T trigger attached to control 2-3 flash lights when freezing problem suddenly happens)

• @problemat1que

How many shots per minute are we talking? Is your camera simply clearing the buffer or overheating?

• @adiprasetya2261

@@problemat1que It just about 2 to 4 shots per minute. I'm using S drive, not CL / CH drive.
      I know well that's not overheating problem because I'm sure not using burst mode. It just normal single shot usage for portrait.

• @adiprasetya2261
      @adiprasetya2261 4 года назад +3

@@problemat1que my XT30 suffers freezing problem just like what happened to them:
      www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4296037

• @josefojma1580
    @josefojma1580 3 года назад

Nice content , really helpful!

• @DanielWOstler
    @DanielWOstler 2 года назад

Great, no nonsense review!

• @AstroLaVista
    @AstroLaVista 4 года назад +134

Fuji are killing it at the moment, This is coming from someone who has only ever used Canon and Pany's.

• @ThorDyrden
      @ThorDyrden 4 года назад +9

Maybe I'm a little biased, since I luckily decided for Fuji few years ago (ditching Olympus) - but at least here in Germany, among enthusiast I meet in the photo-club or on organized shootings it seems Fujifilm is everywhere. I even see a lot of GFX here. Of course you need to consider I mainly meet people who are investing in their hobby spending money already on models and photo-travels. I would assume the market looks different for non-enthusiast buying one good camera and kit-lens for their home-shots etc.

• @JungleCatImages
      @JungleCatImages 4 года назад +9

2 of my non 'professional' friends are buying themselves Fuji this holiday season at my suggestion.. The entry level Fuji's can be found for like $500 w/ lens, they are super fun and easy to shoot and the kit lenses are fantastic..

• @Nulrom
      @Nulrom 4 года назад +3

Same here in Italy. I switched from Olympus em5mkII (that had a better viewfinder and backscreen and image stabilization) for a xe3. I love the ex3. Even if I find myself looking at the screen too much I don't miss the Oly. The overall feeling is better. Images are better, noise at high iso is better, menu's are WAY better, construction is better. Every time I took the camera out I know I will enjoy the experience. This is what I wanna pay for. I have to say I shoot manual lenses and Olympus was a pain in the ass. I feel they have great engineers but very bad managers.

• @punkrachmaninoff
      @punkrachmaninoff 4 года назад +6

i went fuji from canon and sony... bye canon and sony, that's all i can say. said bye to adobe in most situations also... hahahaha.

• @mattnewman128
      @mattnewman128 4 года назад +5

I agree with most comments on fuji, but unfortunately i sold off all my Fuji gear as when shooting in raw, there are better options out there when using Lightroom and Photoshop, which I am comfortable using. Just a note on those who are looking to move into the Fuji camp, great system but I was not willing to run multiple software editing system. Systems used, Olympus, Sony, Fuji, Nikon and Canon.

• @gianlucaziza714
    @gianlucaziza714 4 года назад +45

months later, I think the ranking of the image quality has to be reversed! when you made this comparison, you had not yet officially tested the Nikon Z50, which in fact from your own site, today, comes out as the one with the best performing sensor above all. especially at high ISO. not to mention, how the two lenses of the Z50 kit have been completely rehabilitated by your next review. not a beautiful thing Jordan...

• @sedevacante966
      @sedevacante966 4 года назад

It has the same pixel density of a roughly 18-megapixel canon apsc camera. The M6 ii has about 55% more pixels or you can think of it as 75% more pixels if you need to crop anyways.

• @skyrunr
      @skyrunr 4 года назад +1

I don't know, I'm testing/trying the Z50 now against my D500. The Z50 works MUCH better with older DX lenses so far. I'd gladly pay twice as much for the kit if both the kit lenses were f2-F4. Not to mention not offering a single pancake 24-35mm prime under $600.

• @peasque1
    @peasque1 4 года назад

such a FABULOUS thorough comparison. now do the same for Nikon z6/7 vs XT3/4 vs Sony a 7iii

• @SlowToe
    @SlowToe 4 года назад +1

Only 208k subs? Deserves 5 times more.

• @oscararborist
    @oscararborist 4 года назад +8

Hey, Chris and Jordan, there's a mistake at 3:04, Nikon z50 labeled as Sony a6400.

• @Mithinco
      @Mithinco 4 года назад

Yup, typo!

• @glpro2696
      @glpro2696 4 года назад

And now that you’ve mentioned it do you feel more happy about yourself?

• @oscararborist
      @oscararborist 4 года назад

Hi, GL. No, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be critical. I just wanted Chris and Jordan to know in case they had an easy way to fix it.

• @glpro2696
      @glpro2696 4 года назад

oscararborist I understand what you are saying,but we have to concentrate more on the actual review rather to minor things
      Thnx

• @oscararborist
      @oscararborist 4 года назад

@@glpro2696 Ok. Thanks. Yes, I thought it was a very good review, they seemed to cover a lot very efficiently. Very informative and helpful.

• @danieldougan269
    @danieldougan269 4 года назад +32

Canon needs a full new generation of EOS M cameras, including a weather-sealed model with IBIS and no-compromise video specs.

• @koolkutz7
      @koolkutz7 4 года назад +4

If Canon released an M5 mk2 with IBIS, weather-sealed body, dual card slots, 4K 60p 4:2:2 10 bit video and some more decent lenses (particularly a super-telephoto), then they would have a winner.

• @tjkrueger2655
      @tjkrueger2655 4 года назад +4

Nah, they need to pay more attention to their m mount glass. Not many options in their lineup to take advantage of that 32mp sensor

• @Aksunkuvat
      @Aksunkuvat 4 года назад

@@koolkutz7 if cows could fly

• @floriang2801
      @floriang2801 4 года назад

Raymond Chen
      I installed custom picture profiles on my Canon 6D.
      Maybe it’s possible on the M50 as well.

• @jonathanlogan6953
      @jonathanlogan6953 4 года назад +1

@@koolkutz7 so... The X-T4?

• @JustinTurner
    @JustinTurner 4 года назад +1

My D5300 broke and I'd like to make the jump to mirrorless for my travel/kids pictures. This video helped me rule out the Canon, but I still can't decide if I should stick with Nikon so I can use my flash and DX lenses or switch to Sony (or, after watching this, maybe the T30). I mostly take pictures, so the video differences aren't important to me. Somehow I have to decide before the holidays get here, so if anyone has used these cameras and has a thought on which is best for general photos, I'd love to hear it!

• @tahirmahmood1854
    @tahirmahmood1854 4 года назад +2

Kept checking my notifications every time the category title appeared. Thought I was getting an eBay message. Lol.

• @althds7099
    @althds7099 4 года назад +5

The Nikon Z50 is available in my country, idk from when but it is here and for the price of an XT30 i can get it with the adapter and i can use my Dad's lenses.

• @problemat1que
      @problemat1que 4 года назад +1

That's the difference, you have a dad with old lenses. Many others don't (or want native lenses).

• @joopschaeffer6826
      @joopschaeffer6826 4 года назад +1

@@problemat1que I wil never use the kit lenses on the Z50, the 14-30 f:/4 S ore the 24-70 f:/4 S are so much better. And the compact 40 mm is coming.

• @sandrasdcuocsongcanada9415
    @sandrasdcuocsongcanada9415 4 года назад +8

Why snow so blue!? Some thing wrong with my eyes vs your camera!!!😁

• @cotswoldphotographers
    @cotswoldphotographers 4 года назад

Another very enjoyable video and totally agree with your thoughts. I think that all of these cameras offer something for everyone so if I were looking to buy into this market then I’d probably still be completely confused!I would be looking at where I wanted my photography to go, for or me that was full frame/medium format but this is all so subjective.

• @EricOuellet2
    @EricOuellet2 4 года назад +1

Great, thanks!

• @bramdoornbos
    @bramdoornbos 4 года назад +3

Missing the Panasonic G90/G95 (or otherwise the GX9) on the table though having a smaller sensor ... should be fair to let it compete (or not?)

• @problemat1que
      @problemat1que 4 года назад +1

I think price-performance wise it would be fair, as many are considering it in their buying choices. But then you'd also have to include cheaper FF options. I think in the end, all categories are arbitrary, in this case it's sensor size + mirrorless. I'm pretty sure DPR will also update their "best camera for under X dollars" articles.

• @barkan86
    @barkan86 4 года назад +6

We need M50 Mark ii with faster lenses.

• @nore8141
    @nore8141 4 года назад +2

APS-C. Great video and commentary. So when will you be talking about the micro4/3rds, like the Panasonic g85? Just want to make sure it’s a great camera, today.

• @hooked4lifeca
    @hooked4lifeca 4 года назад

I saw a software comment down below, so it's probably a good idea to mention that Capture One offers a Fujifilm version that is tuned to Fujifilm cameras and RAW output. Capture One is a Lightroom equivalent, and depending on who you talk to, better than Lightroom. Capture One is more expensive when buying the full camera supported version, but the Fujifilm only version is cheaper. Capture One also supports external editors, so I can jump in and out of the NIK suite or the Affinity suite without leaving Capture One.
    For the amateur market that these cameras are aimed at, the Capture One Fujifilm version is a good alternative. There's a Sony version as well.
    I've done the dial control with DSLRs, mirrorless and P&S cameras - the Fujifilm approach to a traditional control layout drew me into their product line. To my mind, this is what really separates Fujifilm from the rest. It's not for everyone obviously, but it should be given a higher profile in these reviews. We can also go the dial approach on Fujifilm cameras if we wish, so there's no loss by incorporating a traditional control layout, only gains. This is worth pointing out in reviews.

• @joec.1030
    @joec.1030 4 года назад +3

Great summary. 👍🏻 Still leaning to the LUMIX G95 as it stacks up well with this APS-C group and has great ergonomics, build, features and lens options.

• @koolkutz7
      @koolkutz7 4 года назад

G95 looks decent value for money. I ownned the G80/85 and it was pretty good with decent image quality and features. The main downside is the poor AF (especially for tracking action/wildlife), but that is the same for all Panasonic cameras sadly. The higher ISO performance is about 1 stop worse than aps-c sensor & 2 stops worse than FF sensors as to be expected.

• @edwardnazzaro3685
    @edwardnazzaro3685 4 года назад +13

The Nikon Z50 has a new sensor, not the same as the Nikon D7500. Your using the D7500 images in the comparison isn’t valid.

• @DaedalousCy
      @DaedalousCy 3 года назад

You are*

• @Youmemba
      @Youmemba 3 года назад

@@DaedalousCy stfu

• @DaedalousCy
      @DaedalousCy 3 года назад

@Nate the "great"

• @Youmemba
      @Youmemba 3 года назад

@@DaedalousCy don't wear it out

• @ralphaaa80
      @ralphaaa80 3 года назад

@@DaedalousCy No. He means " your:" possessive.

• @juanitasomethingorother7591
    @juanitasomethingorother7591 4 года назад

That's for the comparisons! It just solidified the X-T30 for me. The promised upcoming firmware updates may improve auto-focus, but we'll just have to wait and see. I'm hoping this Black Friday or Cyber Monday I can find it $200 off somewhere. If not, the usual $100 will be fine. I'm getting tired of waiting.

• @guardianobserver6593
      @guardianobserver6593 3 года назад

Go for full frame instead. If you have forgot it, it's the format of your old film reflex. They started years ago make small cameras/sensors because of high cost sensors. There is no reason anymore and every company invests more and more on full frame. Everything else will disappear from smartphones.

• @movakalin5333
    @movakalin5333 4 года назад +1

Thanks for the video!! Well done as always.

• @drichi07
    @drichi07 4 года назад +3

I proposed with an original Fujifilm X100 back in 2011. Still waiting on that damned thing to boot up, focus, randomly shutdown, restart, and refocus. Hope she is still interested whenever it does.

• @peterlemke3468
      @peterlemke3468 4 года назад

Very funny. How long did she hold the pose for?

• @problemat1que

I had an X100T before and hated the AF for people shots (it never got the firmware 4.0 updates all the other bodies in that generation got, if you can imagine that). I'm actually interested to get an OG X100 for sentimental reasons, and to ignore its AF by just setting it to manual zone focus at high F-stop and snap away in daylight. Given that the X100V hasn't come out yet, I hope it comes with X-Pro3 level AF, so it won't need firmware updates. I'm excited to see what it can do.

• @hiresmusic
    @hiresmusic 4 года назад +33

...And as addition Nikon Z50 can use cheap & great Nikon lenses (trough adapter) 35 .1.8 ,50 1.8 etc. Sony & Fuji users who begin game must buy relatively expensive lenses,most of them not suprass Nikon cheapies.

• @torstenkenning
      @torstenkenning 3 года назад

But the FTZ adapter itself is already 200€/USD $200. I would like to have 1 ! native, not adapted main driver (size, autofocus without compromises) and would be happy to adapt more glass with good value for price for all other scenarios that I do every now and then.
      As much as would like to buy the Nikon z50 or Canon M6ii, these both fail in this approach as there is no decent standard zoom with good sharpness, not too slow and of okay‘ish feel/haptic. :-( ;-(
      My current considerations against one or the other:
      Canon: EVF + native Glass
      Nikon: native glass just FF and way to expensive for me, but superb upgrade option
      Sony: Touchscreen implementation, EVF resolution, EF glass expensive, though decent primes for price 3rd party. Have A6000 unused on the shelf, don‘t enjoy it.
      Fuji: Looks like the roundest package, but nothing longer than the XC50-230 which has f6.7 at the long end OR pay >1.000 €/$ USD. X-S10 looks promising though.

• @ronaldmontilla6239
    @ronaldmontilla6239 4 года назад

Bought the fuji xt30, its a little bit tiny for my hands, had to buy the L plate bracket to make it a bit chunky. The image quality is superb, even at ISO6400, jpeg images are still very usefull. I just changed the Q button as my back button focus as my work around that design flaw.

• @pascalhibon7928
    @pascalhibon7928 2 года назад +2

I have owned an X-T30 for about a year but recently sold it and bought an Z50. The X-T30 produces nice images but I don't get along with Fuji. It has poor ergonomics (too small buttons, menu systems is not that great and the it doesn't feel good in my hands). I don't like the manual dials on top of the camera either. It is not easy to dial in the right settings while composing. I just returned from a vacation with the Z50 and I'm surprised how much I love this little camera. Ergonomics is fantastic, IQ is superb and the kit lens is amazing. I feel that the Z50 is a very underrated camera!