Canon EOS M5 Review (vs Sony a6500, Olympus E-M1 II, Panasonic G7, Fuji X-T2)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 19 авг 2024

Комментарии • 433

• @TonyAndChelsea
    @TonyAndChelsea  7 лет назад

📷 Canon EOS M5 on Amazon help.tc/m5
    📷 Sony a6500 on Amazon help.tc/a6500
    📷 Olympus E-M1 II on Amazon help.tc/em1ii
    📷 Panasonic G7 on Amazon help.tc/g7

• @ucnguyenminh9393
    @ucnguyenminh9393 7 лет назад +73

I just LOVE your reviews, no bias, no bullsh*t, just straight to the point!

• @pckuching3374
      @pckuching3374 7 лет назад +1

Đức Nguyễn Minh he write books on microsoft os , which is systematic and logic all the way.

• @ucnguyenminh9393
      @ucnguyenminh9393 7 лет назад +1

Jay Castillo M5, I'm a long time Canon user

• @dearangel9535
      @dearangel9535 7 лет назад

I agree!! :D

• @oliverfries9386
      @oliverfries9386 7 лет назад

Hey, I watched so many of your Videos due to Expertise and professional Analysis. Thank you !!!

• @rico00042
      @rico00042 4 года назад

Good point. What we like what we don't. They also get into filddly stuff that counts. And
      style points.

• @romari2706
    @romari2706 7 лет назад +47

The primary reasons to buy the Canon M5 are:
    1. I already have Canon DSLRs and Lenses.
    2. I can use my existing lenses using a $30 generic adapter.
    3. It is a great camera for travel.
    4. It is small enough that I can take it to football games where I'm not allowed with my Canon DSLR.
    5. The Canon M5 is small enough for a jacket pocket. I can take it every day with me - whereas often my DSLR's size limits everyday travel with it.
    6. I can use my Canon speed light system with it [which is expensive to replace and may be non-existent on other cameras other than Nikon]
    7. I still take photos. And Canon simply has a better color look than other cameras.
    The flip down screen has a significant advantage when vlogging: When you look at the screen when filming yourself, you still look like you are looking at the audience. With a side flip screen, you look like you are ignoring the audience when you look at the screen. Casey Neistat had to wear sunglasses to make it seem he is engaged with the audience when instead he is looking at his side screen.

• @guardianobserver6593
      @guardianobserver6593 6 лет назад +1

Romeo Mariano
      Hahahaha! The last one was nice! Have you see Casey Neystat without sunglasses?

• @MakoyUnggoy
      @MakoyUnggoy 5 лет назад +1

I went from the older Sony a5000 screen on the top to the Canon screen at the side and the side screen does seem further away to look at just to check you have everything in view but it's still fine, you can just about see it out of the corner of your eye without actually looking away from the lens when filming

• @JeremyGalloway
    @JeremyGalloway 6 лет назад +8

To be fair, EF lenses work perfectly using Canon’s adapter, which is remarkable because that is almost never the case with adapters. Furthermore it is worth owning this camera for the ultra wide zoom and 22mm pancake lenses (M mount) alone. No other mirrorless lineup offers those types of lens options with such good quality and rock bottom prices. I shoot Fujifilm, but our pancake lens is twice the price, slower, and has a longer MFD. And the only UWA zooms in the Fuji and Sony worlds are crazy expensive. Canon M lenses are great value. Then adapt an EF 50mm or 85mm for portraits, and bam! Great setup

• @TimLucasdesign
    @TimLucasdesign 7 лет назад +7

I own this Camera as my second shooter and have been very happy with it. The Canon 18-55, 55-200 and 22mm fast prime are really all I need for a second camera mainly for travel. I also have the EF adapter and can use all my EF lenses if needed. The zoom lenses aren't fast, but I have found them to be very sharp, very well made and light weight. I think it's a great little camera I can stick in my bag with the treo of lenses and be ready for anything.

• @theosphilusthistler712
    @theosphilusthistler712 7 лет назад +11

No Tony, (and every other reviewer), the great STRENGTH of the M system is the lens selection. "Adapter" doesn't mean in M world what it means for other systems. Instead of "adapter" just say "inch". It's cheap (not $200), there are no optics. All EF or EF-S lenses can be considered native EF-M lenses, with an extra inch. If you're really offended by the word "adapter" just buy a $30 3rd party one (which works just as well) for every lens and superglue it on. Call those native EF-M lenses. Scratch out the "S" in "EF-S" and write "M". Sure, they're no longer small but fast lenses for APS-C tend not to be small anyway (unless they're Canon STMs, which again can be thought of as native EF-Ms plus and inch). Really the lens selection is not an issue. It must drive Canon nuts that people outside Japan can't see this. I've looked at M4/3 I've looked at Sony, I've looked at Fuji. None of those is an alternative to the M system because none of them offers lens options of equal value to Canon. 4/3 comes closest if you don't want long reach but the others are just not in the ballpark.

• @todanrg3
      @todanrg3 7 лет назад +3

Finally someone gets it. Why would canon release a mirrorless version of the 70-200 2.8 if it would weight maybe 10% less if that. And the Sony cameras can be really awesome and everything but i can't find any lens longer than 300mm.

• @jimclay4775
    @jimclay4775 7 лет назад +5

I appreciate the objectivity of your reviews. They are thoughtful and balanced. Keep up the good work!

• @hjemmeis
    @hjemmeis 7 лет назад +16

Here in denmark you get a free adapter for EF lenses with the M5 camera.

• @RArecordingsRickValcon
    @RArecordingsRickValcon 7 лет назад +11

the screen is designed to fold out below, because you see your eyes looking sideways on footage when you peek at the screen, but if the screen is on the bottom it is almost unnoticable.

• @TonyAndChelsea
      @TonyAndChelsea  7 лет назад +10

OK, but who *never* uses a tripod?

@RArecordingsRickValcon 7 лет назад

I guess It should come with an adapter so the camera is to the side. So the tripod hole is below the grip. But then it would be out of balance for vlogging.

@RArecordingsRickValcon 7 лет назад +5

*"applaudes and gives pad on the head"* now let the grown ups talk. Grown ups are people who can have an opinion or conversation about something without calling someone else names.

• @karls5795
      @karls5795 7 лет назад

below the camera infers handheld only...on a $300 camera maybe but on a $1000 camera, pretty silly.

@RArecordingsRickValcon 7 лет назад

the concept itself is actually not that bad.. the fact that they didn't think this through concerning tripod mount is...lol

• @finboyYYC
    @finboyYYC 7 лет назад +3

I thought hard about this camera and just couldn't pull the trigger. I'm coming from an sl1, I like canon lenses, I like their touch interface, but watching Sony/Fuji/Panasonic release such great cameras has been frustrating while trying to find a compact replacement. I also considered the 80d (huge) and a6500 with adapted glass ($$$$ and meh autofocus), but seeing the m5 in person left me underwhelmed compared to the two other cameras I mentioned.
    Back button placement was terrible, focusing of fast moving subjects was good but not fast enough for wildlife/dogs/etc, it didn't feel very high quality, no weather sealing, the screen flip was awkward, etc. The a 6500 felt like an unfinished camera for almost $2k Canadian, so ultimately I settled on a grey market 80d, and learned to live with the bigger body.
    The 77d being announced is promising for my hopes of a smaller body, but I think both Sony and canon are 1-2 generations away from really nailing the mirrorless in a way that will get people to leave bulky dslr's. Canon needs to uncripple their offering (side flip screen, 4K, silent shutter), or Sony needs to refine some features (touch screen, battery life, long lenses) before I can drop money into either system.

• @StephenDang
    @StephenDang 7 лет назад +1

If Canon can sell this camera to 10% of their current DSLR customers, it would already be a great success for them. I know there are not many M lenses to choose from, but being able to adapt EF/EF-S lenses is just amazing. EF-M for traveling and general shooting, and EF/EFS for serious shooting (portrait/sport...) and is still more compact and lighter weight than with a DSLR.

• @artmaltman
    @artmaltman 7 лет назад +7

Northrup does the best reviews, period. Concise and to the point. Thank you!

• @imAnsar
    @imAnsar 7 лет назад +47

And we are waiting for a Panasonic G85 review :)

• @jmking7
      @jmking7 7 лет назад +3

Belgium Beku should have included the g85 instead of the g7 for this video.

• @imAnsar
      @imAnsar 7 лет назад

James King agreed

• @SayWhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
      @SayWhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat 7 лет назад

GX85, G85 SUCKS.

• @imAnsar
      @imAnsar 7 лет назад +1

Tomas Av. Oh why,!!

• @karls5795
      @karls5795 7 лет назад +4

Belgium, Good question! Considering Tomas inarticulate comment, I'm guessing he's not the one capable of answering that question.

• @AltamishM
    @AltamishM 7 лет назад +6

Love the aesthetic of this little cam. The controls seems great as well : )

• @mproductionsmusik
      @mproductionsmusik 6 лет назад +1

Yep! despite many people not liking this camera its a very good camera for photography. The camera style is simple and sober that always good and the controls are really great and user frendly. And people that want quality pro lens just have to get a canon adapter for the big EF lens. Even with the adapter the AF work well without any problem. :)

• @dima1353
    @dima1353 7 лет назад +5

Eos M has a good lens selection in some sense. There is the only true low cost system. The many lenses is not ultra high quality, but is not a garbage. Not bad 11-22 for 400$ , macro for 300, not bad 35mm (I mean 22 2) for 250 . One of the bests in class 18-55. In particular 11-22 is a unique phenomenon - You dont need a spend time to search online some used doubtful tokina or sigma. It already costs like used, but quality is very good. Do not forget that the majority of people on earth have a much lower income than one that allows you to think about the purchase of lenses for $ 1000. For many people, these beautiful Fuji, Olympus, Sony lenses simply do not exist in real tangible perspective. Canon Eos M has a very good lens selection.

• @roki977
      @roki977 7 лет назад

I dont know where are you from but these people dont care much about prices and dont look at gear that way.. When i need better gear i just borrow it, usually for shooting MMA but for my home usage am all about the "bang for buck" and Canon is very good for that..

• @andrewhansen67
      @andrewhansen67 7 лет назад

I have had the 11-22 for my original M (I know...how dare I use a universally panned camera), and it is a pretty nice wide angle lens. Fun to use.

• @my21coronas
    @my21coronas 7 лет назад +3

I have owned the M5 since launch and really like the camera. It's small with the 22mm and the transfer to phone is awesome. I also have the sigma 18-35 and 50-100 and the image and video quality is amazing using those lenses. But the second lens I take with me is the Tamron 35mm 1.8 vc. Killer combo there. I believe the main downfall is no 4K and no true slow-mo. Otherwise this would be a first or second pick camera.

• @eahughey
    @eahughey 7 лет назад

Thanks Tony... The M5 is the Toyota Camry of mirror-less cameras. Good all around... not best in class at any one thing. Don't buy it to use as a working camera. It's a high end Vacation, family, walk around camera. Get the 80D or 7DmkII if you need APS-C Canon working camera. I will get the 80D for project work and M5 for vacation/Travel when I don't want to haul 80D.

• @slimphotog
    @slimphotog 7 лет назад +1

1:40 "This is just like a Pentax." As a Pentaxian, how I wish my brand would come out with a mirrorless upgrade to the K-01 with a side flipout screen and fast autofocus. I love the Pentax ergonomics.

• @menahemyaniv140
    @menahemyaniv140 7 лет назад

Following your review, I went ahead and got the Canon M6 which is essentially the same camera minus the viewfinder. The Canon M5/M6 is a very good camera. Your review mattered and helped me make a decision. This is the right camera for me. Thanks.

• @Traumglanz
    @Traumglanz 7 лет назад

EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Graphite is out now.
    EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM out since a while as well.
    EF-M lenses are coming out more and more. And naturally, once you get into bigger glas the EF-S / EF-M STM lenses would be more or less identical to the EF-M lenses anyway, so the adapter is fine there anyway.

• @EinzMY
    @EinzMY 7 лет назад +6

Canon made a very bad decision crippling the video spec of 5dmk IV, EOS 80D and this M5.
    4K, 120fps 1080p, IBIS, built in flat log profile are very important features considering the price of this new camera is over $1000.

• @robinbtrading
    @robinbtrading 7 лет назад +1

it's so much more helpful having it compared to other cameras. thanks Tony. love your work.

• @weareyesyesyes
    @weareyesyesyes 7 лет назад +3

I find it interesting comparing canons M system lenses to Fuji's X system. Fuji has built their lenses around one type of camera, and one mount. Canon on the other hand has their EF, EF-S, M, and Cine lineup. One would logically expect Fuji to have a more mature mirrorless lineup then Canon, for now. If the time comes when Canon finally releases a full frame mirrorless option (hopefully in EF mount) they will then have largest lens lineup for Mirrorless, and have Native mount third party lens options. No more AF issues. Regardless, for myself an EF-M mount mirrorless is of no interest to me.

• @EnterSpacebar
      @EnterSpacebar 5 лет назад

I agree with that, but just to stop someone from getting the wrong idea, Fuji make a hell lot of lenses apart from the X mount. Large format, medium format, 35mm M42, C-mount, enlarging lenses etc.. since 1938. They've been world renowned for lenses for decades. Film and lenses was their core business until recently.

• @PostColorGear
    @PostColorGear 7 лет назад

Thanks for the review. I disagree about the focus pulls on the a6500 however. You can adjust the sensitivity and speed. By doing that, it can mimic the M5.

• @sametkoksal8097
    @sametkoksal8097 7 лет назад +18

i think g85 is the best value midrange camera out there

• @1barnet1
      @1barnet1 7 лет назад +2

That or the Fuji X-T20

• @sametkoksal8097
      @sametkoksal8097 7 лет назад +2

1barnet1 x t20 is also goergous its design really appeals to me and autofocus, iso capabilities,color reproduction on fuji is much better if it was a little cheaper and if i could find x mount lenses easily in Turkey i would have changed the system i use

• @1barnet1
      @1barnet1 7 лет назад +1

samet baki
      Also video.
      It has the same 5.5k downsampled to 4k video mode borrowed from the X-T2.
      Unfortunately no F-log nor grip with headphone jack. Recording time is also limited to 10 minutes tops in 4k.
      And no grip to bypass that limitation.
      Still it's practically a smaller lighter X-T2 without the grip. for $1100 with a stupidly good F2.8-4 kit lens.
      between it and the G85 it really comes down to priotities. old fashioned weighing pro's and cons

• @BrownieX001
      @BrownieX001 7 лет назад

Wow a reasonable criticism and calm response. Nice.

• @808islandlife_HI
      @808islandlife_HI 7 лет назад

I agree. I bought one for the weather sealing, IBIS, full articulating screen, video capabilities and price point. The video was AMAZING! I recorded at 1080 60fps and it was like being there. The pics, though, weren't anything to get excited about. There's potential there if you purchase/have a better lens than the 12-60 kit, but didn't want to buy any more lenses or a flash, so I returned it. Also, I have to say that it didn't feel like a $1k body. It felt rather plasticky, especially in comparison to the Olympus EM-5, Mk II.

• @TheProjectFunHouse
    @TheProjectFunHouse 7 лет назад +2

The two things that bother me about the M5 is the lens selection and the battery life. Other than that, it seems to be a solid camera for everyday use.

• @mitcho8666
    @mitcho8666 3 года назад

5:24 but it also means when you look at the screen while filming your eyes are looking sideways which is weird where as the m5 looks very natural to look just below the lense. you will not notice the different where you are looking.

• @gregsullivan7408
    @gregsullivan7408 3 месяца назад

7 years later......very prophetic, Tony - very prophetic. 😉

• @Lionheart2323
    @Lionheart2323 7 лет назад +11

i cant understand what canon was doing with even making this camera. everything about it, it cant even compete with their own cameras that are cheaper than this thing.

• @JacoboCastroCristo
      @JacoboCastroCristo 7 лет назад +4

DracariaEntertainment canon is dead, they think it's 2012, if you take a look at the new M6 the 77D and the 800D (t7i) you will notice that they are making the same cameras from 2 years ago, since the release of e the 7D mkii it's just been a hole bunch of irrelevant cameras. they think that 1080p is the future. right?

• @Lionheart2323
      @Lionheart2323 7 лет назад +2

Jacobo Castro Cristo i havent been paying attention to those other cameras you mentioned. are they out already? either way tho the camera im waiting for is the nikon d820 which is rumoured to be announced any day now. as soon as it is im ordering it

• @cooloox
      @cooloox 7 лет назад +3

Jacobo Castro Cristo ....and Canon is dead when Tony just showed the IQ was very similar between the cameras he compared. Look at the price of the X-T2 and the M5. The number of anti-Canon commenters on RUclips is ridiculous. Almost a jealousy thing, I guess.

• @Noeman2009
      @Noeman2009 7 лет назад +1

Jacobo Castro Cristo. LoL. Canon creates new different camera with updated features to cater to different users. Why similar IQ is a problem? If you shoot brick & wall, new features in any new camera maybe irrelevant.

• @JacoboCastroCristo
      @JacoboCastroCristo 7 лет назад +2

Ary Himawan yup, you are right, canon make overall very nice cameras, they are reliable and very user friendly, but making video features compared to other brands

• @Sunrazor
    @Sunrazor 7 лет назад

After almost 25 years of owning different cameras and systems I can honestly say that it is a heart thing. Much like a car it almost becomes a friend if it is the right one. I think you should make a video with your experience about what cameras you actually loved the most. It would be so interesting to see 🙂👍

• @TonyAndChelsea

It's a little old, but: ruclips.net/video/vSipBV4bY0o/видео.html
      We'll have to redo it, because the D500 and X-T2 deserve spots on there.

• @Schwingi
    @Schwingi 7 лет назад +7

Tony, please give us a G85/G80 review. It's an awesome camera!

• @malcolmpage1
      @malcolmpage1 7 лет назад +4

You've made up your mind, so why do you need a review/

• @BrownieX001
      @BrownieX001 7 лет назад

He might want the Tutorial not the review.

• @Schwingi
      @Schwingi 7 лет назад +1

I want both. The review to know Tony's opinion and the tutorial to see if I missed something... 😊

• @pattyoconn
    @pattyoconn 7 лет назад

Thank you, Tony... waited for Sony a6500, had e mount lenses from nex series. I love the light weight of mirrorless and I have always been a fan of Sony glass. I truly appreciate your incredible knowledge and how you and Chelsea make photography fun!

• @1975mrwolf
    @1975mrwolf 7 лет назад +1

I get it there is not many lenses for the EOS m Series but come on for the sone Emount series there are also really few lenses and no zoom lense that performes any good.. thats why the Eos M series with the EF adapter it great course you can have a small and light camera with some of the best lenses on the marked.. and the EF adapter work its fast focus not like on the sony where the ef lenses are slow and best used in manual focus ..

• @nathanksimpson
    @nathanksimpson 7 лет назад

If it has wireless capture, and can be controlled by the camera app you should be able to preview your shot on your phone's screen.

• @pocketorigin
    @pocketorigin 7 лет назад

The video comparison M5 vs G7 at 10:51 really got me thinking. M4/3 low light capability is not really that bad after all.

• @Rascallucci
    @Rascallucci 7 лет назад

Actually, if you are vlogging and pointing the camera at yourself, side flip screen is the worst because it will be the most obvious to see your eyes looking at the side of the camera. The best is to have the screen flipping out from the bottom whereby you will find it very hard to notice your eyes are looking anywhere else but the lens.

• @DelightfulVegans
    @DelightfulVegans 7 лет назад

Thanks Tony, just the review I was looking for! I am sure you have answered a whole flock of people with this one. Top job, keep it up!

• @_rhapsodist
    @_rhapsodist 7 лет назад

On the a6500 the AF drive speed is adjustable in 3 steps so you can get the same or even better rack focus

• @adrip6407
    @adrip6407 7 лет назад

Excellent review. Thorough and very informative. One of the better reviews out there for smaller cameras. Thank you.

• @haroldcarlson2775
    @haroldcarlson2775 7 лет назад

What's the crop factor of the G7 when shooting 4K? 2.6x. So the 14-45mm kit lens starts at 36mm when shooting 4k. That's somewhat limiting.

• @geraldbraun6267
    @geraldbraun6267 6 лет назад

I checked out the original mirrorless camera from Canon and the lack of lenses was one of the reasons that I did not buy it. I purchased a Olympus mft which gives me the selection of lenses from Olympus and Panasonic and also many other lens manufacturers. I can also use my old film lenses with an adaptor. The Pro line from Olympus with constant aperture and a real focus ring show a real commitment to provide quality products. Canon just needs to get serious about supporting the mirrorless format with dedicated lenses.

• @1980gm9
    @1980gm9 7 лет назад

Nice review. Great work as always. This channel and CSTV are my 2 favourite review channels now

• @GapBahnDirk
    @GapBahnDirk 7 лет назад

For still photography, better to buy the smallest DSLR available, the Canon 100D. It is a lot cheaper too.

• @vincenttsai1128
    @vincenttsai1128 7 лет назад

Hey Panasonic had the active touchscreen/evf focus thing since the G5 back in 2013.

• @TonyAndChelsea
      @TonyAndChelsea  7 лет назад +2

Yeah, that was a brilliant idea! Panasonic is really innovative.

• @TheBearMTB
    @TheBearMTB 7 лет назад

Looking forward to the olympus MK1 II review on its own. Love your impartial views

• @kanehi
    @kanehi 7 лет назад

I rather like the use of the adapter for EF/EFS lenses. For zoom/tele lenses I essentially hold the barrel of the lens to stabilize and don't handle the camera much

• @ZiemowitP
    @ZiemowitP 7 лет назад

When you're taking a picture of yourself or vlogging it's better to be looking below the lens. So a screen that flips down below the lens is better if you can figure out the tripod situation.

• @mbismbismb
    @mbismbismb 3 года назад

Why ppl are so high expectations on video on a mirrorless? Canon made camera to take pics, not video, if u want video go for camera that shoot video

• @dr.sommer5069
    @dr.sommer5069 7 лет назад +6

Great Review Tony.
    Unfortunately you forgot the lack of Ibis on the M5.

• @spike--
      @spike-- 6 лет назад +1

No need.

• @eleanor444
    @eleanor444 7 лет назад +1

as someone going into photojournalism, this camera seems like a great backup body. I can't ever imagine it as my primary, mainly because of the battery, but having it on your belt in case of emergency would be helpful. now i just wish someone would make a battery grip for canon's m-series like the x-t2 and sony a7

• @spike--
      @spike-- 6 лет назад +1

M5 has good battery life . Around 400 shots per battery. I have three batteries.

• @spooniecamper
      @spooniecamper 6 лет назад +2

I don't know why people don't use airplane mode when not connecting to other devices. The battery dies because it's searching all the time otherwise.

• @nodramalama9531
      @nodramalama9531 2 года назад +1

​@@spike-- I easily got 2.5k with less than two batteries

• @spike--
      @spike-- 2 года назад

@@nodramalama9531
      Awesome. I quit buying after canon didn't make a ibis m5. I have 10 really nice rc cars as my new hobby. F canon! I $30,000 of gear I hardly look at now.

• @nodramalama9531
      @nodramalama9531 2 года назад

@@spike-- lol ok Canon is still good tho

• @Britton0932
    @Britton0932 4 года назад

I know it’s an old camera at this point, but will you please review a viltrox 0.71 speed booster on the EOS-M5? Not the M50 as that’s a camera for video, and the M5 didn’t get the respect it deserved as a stills camera.

• @MicroTechForms
    @MicroTechForms 6 лет назад

This camera really looks to be the new Canon A1. It takes a swath of features innovated before it's time, updated them, and packed them into a small body. I appreciate the heck out of this camera.

• @EDHBlvd
    @EDHBlvd 7 лет назад

If Canon actually gets serious with their lenses for this mount, this camera and its successors could actually be a competitor to Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, and Olympus.

• @axel_hawk
    @axel_hawk 6 лет назад

I know that samsung stop producing cameras, but how this camera compares to the nx500?

• @bigyangubhaju9523
    @bigyangubhaju9523 5 лет назад

How to fix problem of rear curtain sync in Eos M5 using on camera external flash pixel x800c. Why it fires in the beginning but not in the end. Why it doesn't work in this model using that flash in tried in another camera of same model? How to solve it? Can anybody help?

• @slyfox720
    @slyfox720 4 года назад

I have to say, I almost bought the Canon M6ii it was rather intriquing but I decided on the Nikon Z50 with the two lens kit...for me it seemed to be a good value with the two lenses....with some of the money I saved I am almost have enough money for my next purchase for the z50

• @Zazizizou
    @Zazizizou 7 лет назад

I love the review, but I'd love to see more "real world" photos from the camera..

• @77appyi
    @77appyi 5 лет назад

tony you dont have to put a big 70-200 F2.8 zoom for portrait use thier are many EF primes f1.4 to F2 up to 100mm that work well and still relatively compact (in the same ballpark) with the adaptor compared to the eqivulent F1.2 and F1.4 m43 lenses and dont cost £800-1000+ GBP which you have to spend with m43 ....i have the canon 35F2is. the50mm F1.4 ..85mmF1.8 and 100mm F2 all balances well and i have 2 adaptors so no messing swapping adaptors in the field .....AF in the dark is perticaly good with the 35F2is

• @SONOFAZOMBIE2025
    @SONOFAZOMBIE2025 7 лет назад +1

I've still got a Canon PowerShot Pro1 floating around, from 2004, and it has the side flip-out full articulating screen you want - in a Canon! In 2004! lol
    Also has a F/2.4 24-200mm equiv L-series lens for portraits, etc. Silent shutter too.
    So in summary, Canon dropped the features people wanted and made the M5. ☺

• @mwsi7128
    @mwsi7128 7 лет назад

me too will not miss the top LED screen! Canon should change their design for their DSLR camera

• @elinelievrard7351
    @elinelievrard7351 7 лет назад

they flip the screen like that because if you look at the screen it don't looks like you look at it

• @paulhills1967
    @paulhills1967 7 лет назад

Refreshingly honest and balanced review, unlike some others...

• @cokewisdom
    @cokewisdom 6 лет назад

touch and drag awesome! Not going to buy it but I want that on all my cameras!

• @omartbienaime543
    @omartbienaime543 6 лет назад

I have 4 canon lenses I will more than happy to have the adaptor and use them on my wireless canon man!

• @scottparis6355
    @scottparis6355 Год назад

So many camera reviews seem to go on and on about the flippy screens and how easy (or not) it is to do selfies and the video capabilities.
    I suspect that's because the person doing the review is a vlogger. Fair enough, but out of the universe of photographers, how many are vloggers? A thousand? 5 thousand?
    Anyway a pretty small fraction of the 10s of thousands that a builder needs to sell to turn a profit.
    I've been photographing for 40 years; I don't vlog, don't do selfies, don't do video at all, don't care in the least about any of that.
    I'd love to see reviews that cover the stills capabilities then clearly mark all the video crap, so I can skip it.
    I like my M5, because its small and light, and produces still image quality roughly the same as Canon's big DSLRs, and am only sad about the lack of lenses and the fact that now (2022) Canon has abandoned the line for the RP series, which also lacks affordable reasonably fast lenses. I've mostly left Canon (with regret) for Fuji, because of Canon's goofy decisions about lenses.

• @4thNebula
    @4thNebula 7 лет назад

Nice informative video as always. OK, if it were down to the best touchscreen LCD, which has the best brightness and resolution (to your eyes). I would guess it is the M5 since I have an 80D and the screen is great and very responsive to touch. If the Sony touchscreen is better according to brightness and touch I would go with that (or at least close to the Canon).

• @KevinMphotography
    @KevinMphotography 7 лет назад

Nice review. I'm never much for video (never my personal concern since I'm just an old stills guy), but you review the still portion wonderfully, voicing the same concerns I have, especially the "buying into" comment. I did get the OMD-10 (when it came out), and 3 lenses, and the portability was the key component--but you're right, you NEED to have those 4.0 and wider lenses in the bag. I do shoot with canon on the SLR side of the house, and am looking to see if someday, something on the micro side will be pro-worthy as it pertains to work. For now, its casual use...but some day...some day (you're tempting me with that X-t2 though).

• @todanrg3
    @todanrg3 7 лет назад

I don't fully agree with the lack of lenses comment. Yes, the M system needs a high end, weathersealed normal zoom, like a 15-70 F2.8 or F4 and maybe 1 or 2 more smaller primes but in the tele segment you have everything you need.
    There is almost no difference in size between a 70-200 in mirrorless or DSLR design. Same for every other lens from 100mm on. The G Master Sony 70-200 2.8 is 1480g and the Canon 70-200 2.8 is 1485g. So by creating a mirrorless version Canon could save 10% weight. Not a meaningful difference. Same can be said for the F4 version, 180mm macro, 100-400, etc.
    And there are tons of great and cheap lenses: 70-200 F4, 100mm F2, 400mm 5.6, 85mm 1.8.

• @untouchable360x
    @untouchable360x 7 лет назад +1

I wonder how the EOS M5 will stack up agains the Fuji X-T20

• @EnterSpacebar
      @EnterSpacebar 5 лет назад

Not only is the X-T20 slightly cheaper, it just makes a lot more sense, has great support, will be improved with firmware upgrades (one of the biggest positives of getting a Fuji), and has a future. M5? I really see no advantage over the X-T20 whatsoever.

• @jds1967
    @jds1967 7 лет назад

Love you guys! Have to say though, I don't feel like you give the Olympus products the credit they deserve. I shoot Canon DSLR (have for years) and more recently Olympus M43. Have to say about 95% of the time I'll grab for the Olympus first. Personally I think Canon is dying and the M5 is another example why. Curious for this comparison video why you didn'tput it up against the E-M5 II instead of the too-expensive E-M1 II (for price reasons) . As far as M43 being a bit noisier than the other APS-C sensors, yes I agree but as the sensors and software get better and better, I think the size/weight advantages of M-43 outweigh the subtle/slight differences in image noise.
    Still waiting for you guys to do a proper review of the E-M1 II also.
    I think if the M5 Mk III were out, there be no comparison. But I realize it's not fair to stat going down the road of "what ifs".
    Thanks,
    JD

• @user-kv9ur1zl6s
    @user-kv9ur1zl6s 7 лет назад

Nice video! Currently using Eos M5 with 28mm macro and I LOVE this combination. Especially this 28macro is like my go-to lens from my dream.
    Standard prime which has IS, macro ability and Great image quality, its just awesome. Only one issue is its f-number(f3.5), but its good for daily shooting.
    Overall, I agree with your review. Good all around camera. bb

• @4thNebula
    @4thNebula 7 лет назад

Informative review. Tempted but need to see next iteration. Want fully articulating LCD. Also want 4K. For $1000+ it should have these. Also waiting for the mirrorless 6D with EF mount and all 80D features.

• @Noahinthe802
    @Noahinthe802 7 лет назад

Awesome review, can't wait for mine! Even though I already bought it I don't mind-still watched and liked.

• @karls5795
    @karls5795 7 лет назад

I agree with comments below, waiting G85 review and comparison - is this the best all around camera for the features and price...what does it compare to?
    M5, I will never understand why any company would build a rear screen that tilts under the camera! It speaks to design by non-camera user. New law, engineers/designers have to live with their design for six months before they can put forward the design for manufacturing.

• @rockofnine849
    @rockofnine849 7 лет назад

I am having trouble finding a professional quality and highly reliable camera that has two memory card slots, but is also lightweight and has a smaller form factor than the average size DSLR that will compliment the colors of a Nikon D500 when I am shooting the same event. Can you suggest anything?

• @tonypower9315
    @tonypower9315 6 лет назад

Question? What would you use a back button focus for? Just half press the shutter button, or am I missing something?

• @bloodybrit127
    @bloodybrit127 7 лет назад

if it had in body stablization it would be my absolute favorit camera ever

• @gioihuynh2421
    @gioihuynh2421 6 лет назад

Hello Tony,
    I'm really enjoy your review Canon M5 which is good and very sharp camera!
    A question that I'd like to ask you is: Which lens should you suggest me to buy for travel and take sharp photo ( all-in-one ) for Canon M5?
    How about 15-85mm lens?
    Thanks Tony.

• @xray111xxx
    @xray111xxx 7 лет назад

Right on Tony. The M5 is a good camera. But I am having a rough time being excited. Why wouldn't I just get a G8, or even an 80D? Canon, and Nikon are clueless on Mirrorless. Sony, Olympus, and Panasonic are eating their lunch! What is about the Canikon kids that cannot make Mirrorless awesome? Oh, Fujifilm is my outright hero of the bunch. Holy Cow, Fujifilm from left field hits a homer right out of the park. My next favorite is the Olympus. Wow! I have been bagging on Olympus for years. So out comes this new OM. Wow, sold. Olympus is back. Great review Tony.

• @KILLITWITHFIRE
    @KILLITWITHFIRE 7 лет назад

for vlogers it's better that the screen flips down.
    The viewer almost can't tell whether you're looking right into the lens or the screen.

• @TonyAndChelsea
      @TonyAndChelsea  7 лет назад +1

Well, for vloggers who will *never* use a tripod or selfie stick... tools that Casey Niestat uses almost constantly.

• @heythere6983
      @heythere6983 7 лет назад

I haven't tried it but apparently you can use a double tripod mount if need be, or just mount it on your tripod and use the phone app and you can see everything on there right next to you. Not really that big a deal unless ur big on selfie sticks lol.

• @c.ancharaz
    @c.ancharaz 7 лет назад

Never thought the EVF of the A6500 would lose against most of its direct competitors. :(

• @TonyAndChelsea
      @TonyAndChelsea  7 лет назад +1

Oh, the a6500 EVF is fine. It just doesn't quite have that better-than-real-life feel of the X-T2. I'm nit-picking though.

• @techtenniz
    @techtenniz 7 лет назад

Hi Tony and Chelsea, great review on the M5! I'm wondering if you guys can do a review of the E-M1 MKII. I heard it's an awesome camera with good wildlife photography, video, and hiking photography due to its weatherproof, autofocus and IBIS capabilities, but I want to get your good inputs on it! I'm looking to see if it can be my hiking camera to compliment my A7II which is for astrophotography and night photography.

• @user-sm6qy4fb7i
    @user-sm6qy4fb7i 7 лет назад

Canon looks good but there is fast lens?

• @stevelink21
    @stevelink21 5 лет назад

Great summary of features, Tony! As an X-T3 landscape and product photographer, I am now seeking a small, compact "travel" camera for a very narrow niche...landscape/beach/stills only. Was considering something like an Olympus OM-D EM10 Mark III, and don't want to give up too much in terms of stills image quality at low ISO to my superb Fuji gear, without spending more than roughly $600, since it will be used very seldom. Any other recommendations? Thanks, and Happy Holidays to you and Chelsea!

• @socas_nic
    @socas_nic 7 лет назад +1

In my opinion EVFs are good, practical and all that stuff. But I and so as many people like the simplicity, directness of the OVF so at the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

• @socas_nic
      @socas_nic 7 лет назад

Petru B. As said above it's personal preference. I have used both kinds though I don't own a dslr or mirrorless and the OVF works better for me as well ;)

• @socas_nic
      @socas_nic 7 лет назад

Petru B. Although if I would buy a camera it would the panasonic G7. Very impressive camera for such a low bidget

• @petrub27
      @petrub27 7 лет назад

so what do u own then?

• @socas_nic
      @socas_nic 7 лет назад

Nothing... My OnePlus X...

• @socas_nic
      @socas_nic 7 лет назад

Check my Instagram @socas_nic all the pictures except from the two from a rally are taken with my phone

• @451804
    @451804 7 лет назад

This is a brilliant type of review. More please.

• @alghani4264
    @alghani4264 5 лет назад

So mirrorles camera is good for photography what? Fuji xt2 or the m5 Canon? Anyway, please let me know if it's good photography..

• @cliff.n5248
    @cliff.n5248 7 лет назад

Hi Tony,
    First off, I would like to thank you for your awesome and highly informative video's! I (I'm sure I could speak for many) appreciate your time and dedication! So thank you for you expertise and willing to share your knowledge. Well, on that note; I'm a beginner photographer. I invested in a Canon Mark III with just a kit lens (F4, 24mm to 105mm) but having amazing results. My question sir- I'm on a budget and need a computer for Adobe Lightroom, what would you recommend? Thank you for your time.

• @zomgonzo
    @zomgonzo 7 лет назад

Great review as always, keep up the good work!

• @rujakandroid
    @rujakandroid 7 лет назад

can eos m5 use in studio with strobe? i dont think old eos m model cant.

• @chrisgamingfrl1011
    @chrisgamingfrl1011 2 года назад

Bro I need a help .Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II or Fujifilm xt10 or xt1🤔 , I am a person who is a total bigner who haven't used a mirrorless or dslr camera , I just need a camera to take photos and some videos, and maybe in future I do some plane spotting and wild photography

• @BenFox01
    @BenFox01 7 лет назад +4

Ahhh no image quality comparision with G7. So Curious to see how the 16mp MFT chip stands up against it!? And clue? The Olympus looked great tho!

• @BenFox01
      @BenFox01 7 лет назад

Kyle Medina Yeah agreed! Curious bcos Ive got the G80/85 and interested in its still capapbility against the others 🤔

• @TonyAndChelsea
      @TonyAndChelsea  7 лет назад +4

Oh, sorry. For stills the M5 (and the E-M1 Mk II) are quite a bit better than the G7, but you can make up that difference by using better quality and faster MFT lenses. In other words, you'll get better results with a G7 and an f/2.8 zoom than you would using an M5 and any of the EOS-M zooms.

• @BenFox01
      @BenFox01 7 лет назад +1

I getcha! Cheers Tony. Cracking Video u nailed it! Was considering this camera but went w G80 for its ibis and video options. Would love a video on bitrates for video and why/if they matter 🤔 I shoot primarily 1080 50 for slo mo and ease of editing. The ol' G7/G85 have low 1080 bitrates but seem pretty decent! Thanks again.

• @keithspillett7312
      @keithspillett7312 7 лет назад

Tony & Chelsea Northrup The Panasonic GX80 - I'm in the UK - has no anti-aliasing filter, and gives incredibly sharp results on stills, certainly better than the G7.

• @karls5795
      @karls5795 7 лет назад +1

Not to mention and not to be underestimated E-M1 mkII stabilisation system (lacking in G7). I moved from Canon DSLRs to Oly because of Panasonic/Olympus lens system and stabilising system, not to mention a smaller kit (my camera is with me now far more often than in the DSLR days). Thanks again for a great review.

• @rob327c
    @rob327c 6 лет назад

I almost got an M5... Looking at the g7 now. Thanks

• @asfda
    @asfda 6 лет назад

panasonic and olympus can be good, but for vlogging i think the M5 is actually better because of the continuous autofocus. I just can't trust the panasonic cameras on auto focus

• @rachidchrifi3597
    @rachidchrifi3597 6 лет назад

in your opinion what is the M5's better rival?

• @rplsatpathy
    @rplsatpathy 5 лет назад

Can you please do a review on cannon eos m-50 or a comparison between sony a 63000 please please please

• @Antonis24
    @Antonis24 7 лет назад

Can you comment on the performance of the camera when adapting EF-S lenses, e.g Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 (or Sigma/Tamron equivalents)? I'd also love to see how this camera compares to the upcoming Fuji X-T20.

• @TonyAndChelsea

They work OK! It doesn't focus as reliably as the DSLRs, especially with more telephoto focal lengths. And the focus points are rather large and imprecise (so, for wildlife, they're more likely to focus on a branch in the foreground rather than the bird's eye). But the focusing is fine for the way most people will use the camera.

• @Schmukas
    @Schmukas 7 лет назад

Hello!
    I love your videos. But there is a question. When do you start to compare different systems with your own theorie (Crop / ISO / f-stop). At 9:50 for example you compared a APS-C with an m4/3 with the same settings. When i remember right it wouldn't be the same picture.
    In my opinion it's time to change it. It would be revolutionary. It would change the minds regarding reviewing and looking on the "small" systems.
    Have a nice day!

• @MrBran13192
    @MrBran13192 7 лет назад

Great Video! Really helpful! I'm presently in the market for a new or used camera for traveling, but really looking for a good all around camera. I'd like to keep price as low as possible, but don't want that to hinder quality or versatility. I bought a Sony a6000 and hated it, mainly the controls. Looking at another mirrorless, also thinking about some used SLRs and spending the $ on a really good versatile lens. Always had Nikon but branching out now... thoughts?

• @laurentoutang8273
    @laurentoutang8273 7 лет назад

Hard to say it's a crap camera for the price. Only good thing is the touch screen linked to the view finder. Fuji for stills and Panasonic for videos are destroying canon.