🟡 FUJI X vs LEICA: First Impressions + The Leica Look (Fuji X-T2)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 7 сен 2024
  • Can a Leica photographer take good photos with a Fuji X camera? Leica Look with Fuji-X? X-T2
    ✅ PRESETS - mrleica.com/pr...
    ✅ WORKSHOPS: mrleica.com/wo...
    ✅ EBOOKS - mrleica.com/eb...
    ✅ PATREON: More videos/ content mrleica.com/pa...
    ✅ LEICA CLUB - mrleica.com/le...
    ✅ NEWSLETTER - bit.ly/3OLE37t
    Black ring on front of Voigtlander lens - akaralabs.com
    📷 CAMERA BAG: bit.ly/3Uiva6w
    📷 SEE ALL MY KIT: mrleica.com/ki...
    📷 LIGHT LENS LAB discount code - bit.ly/3QwAKAO
    ✅ ZOOM: Not sure what camera/ lens to buy? Arrange a call - bit.ly/3lBkdgq
    ✅ SUBSCRIBED?: Don't miss another video! bit.ly/3qET0ZO
    ✅ NEED FILM?: mrleica.com/do...
    ✅ COFFEE: Thank Matt with a coffee - www.paypal.com...
    ❕ DISCLAIMER: This description may contain affiliate links. If you purchase an item via clicking a link I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support. Matt
    #leica #fujix #fujixt2 #mrleicacom

Комментарии • 162

• @MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom
    @MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom  Месяц назад +1

✅ PRESETS - mrleica.com/presets/
    ✅ WORKSHOPS: mrleica.com/workshops/
    ✅ EBOOKS - mrleica.com/ebooks/
    ✅ PATREON: More videos/ content mrleica.com/patreon/
    ✅ LEICA CLUB - mrleica.com/leica-club-join-the-club/
    ✅ NEWSLETTER - bit.ly/3OLE37t
    📷 CAMERA BAG: bit.ly/3Uiva6w
    📷 SEE ALL MY KIT: mrleica.com/kitlist/
    📷 LIGHT LENS LAB discount code - bit.ly/3QwAKAO
    ✅ ZOOM: Not sure what camera/ lens to buy? Arrange a call - bit.ly/3lBkdgq
    ✅ SUBSCRIBED?: Don't miss another video! bit.ly/3qET0ZO
    ✅ NEED FILM?: mrleica.com/do-you-need-film/
    ✅ COFFEE: Thank Matt with a coffee - www.paypal.com/paypalme/MrLeica

• @cameraprepper7938
      @cameraprepper7938 Месяц назад +1

I think that the Fuji cameras are too large for being APSC sensor cameras. You should really try to compare the Leica CL to the SONY A6700 and a SONY A7RV compared to Leica SL, the SONY A6700 are more compact than the Leica CL, but with a better grip. Knowing that you like to "play" with a lot of different Lenses, the Sony system are perfect with at least 433 prime Lenses for the Sony E mount plus all the Lenses you can adapt.

• @shutterbyifan7958
    @shutterbyifan7958 Месяц назад +4

the model was 🔥🔥

@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom  Месяц назад

Thanks. See some of my other videos for more! (Last video especially when I was teaching in NY)

• @stu-ax
    @stu-ax Месяц назад +4

​ @MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom It's so great you have taken an interest in Fujifilm. Some excellent comments here.
    Yes, the centre-press of the rear control dial shows a magnified view, and if you rotate that wheel it toggles between two zoomed settings offering one with slightly more. Really helps to nail the subject when using focus peaking.
    Other noteworthy point is that Focus Peaking has a high and low setting; on high it shows the peaks on things that aren't quite as in focus as it does for low - so low is the preferred one.
    Looking forward to seeing your upcoming videos of the other models. Thanks for all the education you've put together!

• @MrStevelitt
    @MrStevelitt Месяц назад +4

Hi Matt, thanks for your kind comments. Yes, the files are more digital than Leica. When I use manual focusing I use the red or yellow focus peaking and zoom in by pressing the rear command dial . I don't Manual focus with any AF lens ( except for the Summilux on the Q2) . Interesting first impression review looking forward to seeing what you do next. The XT2 makes a great film scanning camera too :)

• @TheoDahlemPickups
    @TheoDahlemPickups Месяц назад +5

Sometimes reading the forbidden manual makes sense 😉. Super fast and accurate focussing w. focus peaking. Button dial custom setting helps having a fluent work flow. I'm a mainly man. shooter, so I set the fn button which is located next to the shutter to focus Magification/ Peaking. In the settings, reducing sharpness is a snap. Also reducing noise reduction to -4 plus a ton of other custom settings will make your Fuji taking vintage/ analog kind of photos a blast. If you havent't already, give the system some more time to get into it and you'll be surprised how much fun it is to use.

Thanks! Yes I used the 2 window view with a small magnified image of the full image. FP was on but with vintage lenses this often doesn't work when shooting wide open (any camera brand). Yes more videos to come so I haven't given up yet.

• @TheoDahlemPickups
      @TheoDahlemPickups Месяц назад +1

Matt. I don’t own a xt2. On all my X E2, 4, and X pro 3 cameras I assigned the knobby to magnify and focus peak all at the same time in full screen and in the EVF. Try doing just that and forget about whimsy small extra . screen. I never had a problem focus peaking wide open​. However you’re right, depending on the lens and lighting it can get tricky at times. Different photographers, different shooting situations. Lots of fun w Leica LTM lenses but like you said on these peaking was a bit difficult in some situations. @@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom

• @mghJD
    @mghJD Месяц назад +5

Matt on the Fuji you have to dive into the menu and set the grain, turn the clarity way down, turn off the noise reduction, and turn down the sharpness in order to get the look you are trying to achieve. I’d need to check my x-t2 to see how much control it has, my x-t5 has a ton of settings to control output, the x-t2 doesn’t have as many; but I’m pretty sure it has the ones i mentioned.
    I can get the Fuji pics fairly close to my Leica CL and SL.

• @kalenderquantentunnel9411
      @kalenderquantentunnel9411 Месяц назад +1

With X-T2 and 3 it is just about setting Noise Reduction and Sharpening to -4. Clarity came with the X100V iirc.

@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom  Месяц назад +2

Thanks! I was shooting RAW in both cameras to get comparable images but yes I hear Fuji JPEG are over sharp in camera and -4 sharpness helps (I'm told). Thanks for your settings tips.

• @tomislavmiletic_
    @tomislavmiletic_ Месяц назад +3

I have my X-T2 since early 2017 that I bought new, and I'll never sell it.
    I also use many manual vintage lenses on all my Fuji cameras, and I ALWAYS set focus with focus peeking with aperture fully open,
    which I'll close afterwards by need or desire. That way you'll never miss focus.
    On top of that, if I'm post - processing my Fuji images (and that's not too often) either in Lr or C1, I'll always rely on film simulations.
    But that's another can of worms...

• @ianroe1076
    @ianroe1076 Месяц назад +5

Fuji cameras are excellent. The only reason I sold my X-T4 and X-T30 was because I wanted a digital camera (which ended up being the M Typ 240, based on your videos) that could adapt my LTM lenses without a crop. I think you have a unique perspective in that you already used the seemingly not very common Leica CL and were accustomed to the crop, so Fuji cameras make a ton of sense for you. The modern Fujifilm X-T5/X-H2/X100VI viewfinders and sensor are quite excellent. In case you decide to further explore Fujifilm cameras and their features, I would recommend the channel Pal2Tech, who almost exclusively covers their products and settings tips. One other thing, if you're editing Fuji raw files in Lightroom, Lightroom is poor at demosaicing the file format. Capture One worked with Fuji engineers to ensure there isn't odd artifacting and noise due to the unusual X-Trans sensor filter.

Thanks Ian, yes FF is king to get the most from lenses but I keep my little CL as a backup and for travel (where my focus is film but I need some digital images to give to models etc). I've read pre-X Pro3 sensors are fine with LR but the latest ones are better with C1. Congrats on your M240. I was using mine today. Great camera!

• @A861967
    @A861967 Месяц назад +3

One thing I found when comparing Fujis is that the white balance is usually brighter than the rest and the way it effects the image especially the B&W jpegs. Great review Matt cheers from Oz 🇦🇺

• @tomhopkins3431
    @tomhopkins3431 Месяц назад +8

For manual focus with fuji cameras you need to turn on focus peaking. I use the red setting and it's so easily to nail focus 100% of the time.

• @doogieham
      @doogieham Месяц назад +5

Also, Matt, you can punch in magnification by clicking on the rear command dial. I actually found it easier to manually focus on my Fuji than the Leica CL with magnification and peaking enabled.

• @jonnybgoodsilver741
      @jonnybgoodsilver741 Месяц назад +1

theres is a button right next to the display called Focus Assist, Camera has to be set in M mode , but yeah Mr Leica, keep on bashing this Camera , at least the second hand prices will not skyrocket again

Thanks! it was on. No if you use vintage lenses sometime low contrast lenses don't trigger FP (FYI).

Thanks ..and easier than the CL!? Interesting. I will give it another go. Many thanks

Thanks! I thought I was very nice about this camera!!? I will talk more about used Fuji vs used Leica prices another time.

• @zoltankaparthy9095
    @zoltankaparthy9095 Месяц назад +2

Well researched, well prepared and well presented as usual. Thanks.

• @SpencerLupul
    @SpencerLupul Месяц назад +2

I really would like to hear your take on using the digital rangefinder feature (evf switch opposite way) on the x pro cameras compared to real rangefinder. If you think it’s feasible as a ‚rangefinder for the people‘ so to speak

• @artsilva
    @artsilva Месяц назад +4

Keep in mind, the X-T2 was released in the Summer of 2016. SL2 came out at the end of 2019. In that time EVF [and other] tech greatly improved across all manufacturers.
    As far as IQ comparison, if you use the same lens and a bit of minor post tonal adjustments, I found it can be almost identical to the point of not seeing them side by side, one would have a hard time determining what the image was shot with.

Thanks! Mine is the SL that came out before the X-T2 (2015). Still miles ahead but the sales price of both cameras when released would have been very different. Yes will some work I can get the Fuji X images close to the APS-C Leica CL. I'll compare to FF Leica in another video

• @RBullCZ
    @RBullCZ Месяц назад +3

With Fujifilm you want to turn down the sharpness and noise reduction to full minus value (-4) instead of 0 because the zero is not true zero. This applies to all Fujifilm X models I tried. Also, the RAW files from X-Trans sensors look better processed in C1 than in LR.

• @AardvarkAdventure
    @AardvarkAdventure Месяц назад +3

Wow, comments are a bit rough. I shoot Fujifilm for digital and Leica for film and it seems some people are misunderstanding a few of the notes about focus-by-wire; maybe they haven't used fully manual lenses before? As others have pointed out, though, you definitely can punch in easily on the X-T2, though I'm not sure if it's 10x.

Thanks! Yes don't worry, I think some people assumed I had used any focus magnification aids. I did but they just don't compare to what I'm used to that's why I said what I did. Equally for people used to focus by wire lenses, real lenses are a breath of fresh air in comparison and a far nicer user experience. All good. I'm just trying to shares the differences.

• @Tekrel
    @Tekrel Месяц назад +2

Good impressions video . The x-t2 was my first fujifilm so fun to see it be yours too.

• @_H_2023
    @_H_2023 Месяц назад +1

Hi Matt, try and get your hands on the XH1 it's really good for all manual work. As for the EVF your rght I hate the viewfinder as I think even the XH1 could have a better screen, it's something I remember complaining to Fuji about when I bought the camera but the plus side is you have focus assist (highlight) which is great for street work as it usually gets you in focus every time on a manual lens.

• @lensman5762
    @lensman5762 Месяц назад +2

Very good and balanced review/comparison and unbiased at the same time. Persoanlly, I am of the opinion that most of the modern cameras are pretty good for just about anyone. The choice one makes is more based on personal preference, style and above all budget. Thank you.

• @carlosmcse
    @carlosmcse Месяц назад +3

That was my favorite ever. I sold it for an XPro3 and regretted it. If you ever have an issue with the shutter button gummed up just buy a bottle of Contact Cleaner and spray it on the shutter button.

• @DavidG-u2k
    @DavidG-u2k Месяц назад +4

I'm pretty sure you can zoom in on your subject by pressing in on the rear command dial. Fuji's focus peaking usually works very well though.

Thanks, I had the 2 window view with the small window showing a zoomed view but not quite the same as what I'm used to.

• @castieldiallo2945
      @castieldiallo2945 Месяц назад

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom matt, if you so happen to make a trip to japan, let me know. i would relish working with you on a shoot.

• @geofff6671
      @geofff6671 Месяц назад +1

​@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom pretty sure you can set a dial or button to punch in focus. I don't have the T2, but I have the T1 and T5 and they both have this feature.

• @4WHEELBIKER
    @4WHEELBIKER Месяц назад +2

Great comparison! Love Fuji’s lenses and their film simulations especially the in camera black and white filters. Very convenient. The only cameras I shoot other than my Leicas.

• @user-mh4gn5ri6s
    @user-mh4gn5ri6s Месяц назад +2

Hi Matt, nice video
    I had numerous Fuji cameras in the past, including the X Pro 3, XT3, XT 4, XT 30 and GFX 100.
    As I shoot Jpeg only, I was always a little disappointed with the images compared to Nikon, Leica or Hasselblad. There was always something missing and lacked the wow factor so i I eventually sold them all, personally as an armature photographer I don’t believe in manipulating images, often referred to as editing so I depend entirely on results straight out of camera.
    Keep well and kindest regards, Ron

• @lxhk3595
      @lxhk3595 Месяц назад

Post production was always the other half of the process. Fuji raw offers a lot of latitude to achieve stunning images.

Thanks Ron, I know some love the Leica JPEG colours. (Different to the Fuji Film Sim look but still high quality real to life images). The Leica Q cameras are popular for JPEG shooters (as can crop in camera).

• @krolldavid
    @krolldavid Месяц назад +2

Good comparison. I also felt the that the files were more digital. It may be interesting to also compare it with an xtrans 4 sensor, so for example an XT3. I felt that this sensor generation was a bit different in terms of colours. Some current Fuji models still use that sensor.

Thanks David, yes I know the X-Pro3 has the later sensor (same as X-T3) so that to come.

• @yesteryearcameras
    @yesteryearcameras Месяц назад +2

I think the X-Pro2 would be nicer,(for you) because of the "rangefinder-feeling". Output is the same as the X-T2. Both are very good, even today!

Thank you! Yes as the sensor is the same the X-T2 lets me develop presets that I can use with the X-Pro2. I have the X-Pro3 coming which will help give that RF style camera look.

• @arturcharaev1336
    @arturcharaev1336 Месяц назад +3

Hi Matt, my fav Fuji is 2 gen 16mp xtrans sensor: it gives just amazing results with vintage glass, most of the time I use my Fuji XE2s with cheap pixco speedboster to "remove" crop from vintage FF glass.
    As about digital look - my noise reduction always set -2.
    Some tips on fuji manual focus:
    1. set focus peaking for manual focus assistance
    2. you can also press back dial in manual focus mode - than it will magnify area around your focus point.
    Though I wish to have better evf / screen for manual focus when I tried XT3 I feel pictures lost some magic sauce low res 16mp XE2 sensor had. So I trade XT3 and still using XE2.

Thanks Artur! Yes I hear people like these older sensors. Thanks for tips. Speed boosters are good but don't give the true FF look (as only use the centre of the image circle). See my next video on FF ideas :)

• @arturcharaev1336
      @arturcharaev1336 Месяц назад +1

​@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom always enjoying your videos, will wait for next one!
      > as only use the centre of the image circle
      Um, I might missed your point on speedbosters, english isn't my native language.
      Base adapters used center of the image circle
      Where speedbooster or focal reducer takes full image circle and pass it through focusing lens inside, so the whole image circle shrinks on speedbooster magnification that is typically 0.71.
      So helios 58mm * 0.71 (speedboster magnificatino) * 1.5 (crop factror) ~= 61mm, so it almost fully "removes" crop and gives picture very close to FF on crop.
      PS: for anyone who will try speedboster - only one year later after usage I've figured out back lens rotates and it for a purpose - it helps to adjust focus on infinity for any lens.

• @jonnybgoodsilver741

i second this, i have best results with 50mm 1.8 lenses, not necessarly with wider or faster 1.4 lenses , you can shoot fully open all day long and enjoy extreme sharpness and delightful bokeh if needed, with the iso range of the fuji you can make up the missing stop, with some zeiss lenses you get very close to leica look.

• @arturcharaev1336
      @arturcharaev1336 Месяц назад +1

@@jonnybgoodsilver741 Also noticed that helios looks a bit sharper with speedboster.
      I guess sharpness is side effect of speedboster: since it shrinks image circle it increases circle density, so speedbooster could also help to “resolve” 40mp sensors with vintage glass

• @jonnybgoodsilver741
      @jonnybgoodsilver741 Месяц назад

​@@arturcharaev1336 i have a zhongy lens turbo but it doesnt necessarly enhance sharpness in my case , what speedboster are u using ? i mostly only adopt and accept the crop factor and enjoy a 75mm lens instead of a 50mm.

• @Smokej620
    @Smokej620 5 дней назад +1

Hi Matt, I believe with each generation of x-trans sensor the files are a bit different (not sure if this applies only to the jpegs and not the RAW files?) so I’m not sure if the Leica presets you made for the xt-2 would work with files from xt-3 or xt-5? I guess you will know once you get a xt-3 to test and validate.

@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom  4 дня назад

Thanks yes. I used 3 sensors so might make 1 pack with a selection. Some suit some sensors more than others

• @williamgoss4691
    @williamgoss4691 Месяц назад +2

All interesting stuff mate, Thks.

• @lhuhnphotography
    @lhuhnphotography Месяц назад +2

I would love to see a comparison of the Leica CL/ Vario 18-56 and the Fuji E-3/Fuji 18-56.

Nice idea. I can’t have either sadly but if I ever get to play either both I can

• @lhuhnphotography
      @lhuhnphotography Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom I could possibly loan my E-3 and 18-56 depending on timing. Let me know.

@@lhuhnphotography thanks very kind. I dont have the Leica lens either. Perhaps search videos on that lens and compare to your own photos.

• @larsltj
    @larsltj Месяц назад +2

Ha, this was interesting Matt. Spot on. I use many brands and formats (Fuji, Nikon, Olympus, Panasonic and Sony). I shoot mostly with classic ltm lenses. I have a Fujifilm GFX 50R that I really like the looks and feel of, but I also find the viewfinder quite difficult to manual focus with. Is this a weak point of Fujifilm cameras? Even my older Pen F is easier to manual focus with... Just asking...😮

• @kalenderquantentunnel9411
    @kalenderquantentunnel9411 Месяц назад +3

With respect to the "digital" appearance of the Fuji-files I guess you propably already found out that adjusting internal sharpening to zero won't cut it. It must be set to -4, same thing with the noise reduction, to be completely off. When working with the raws you get rid of it in post anyway. But the first look at the raw-integrated preview-jpeg or in-camera JPEGs look much more natural that way.

Great tip thanks! Yes I only looked at RAW but that's a great tip for JPEG, thanks!

• @Azdak
    @Azdak Месяц назад +1

Cool video Matt. I've been shooting with the x-t2 for a few years now and love the lenses and form factor. Get so frustrated with the IQ when editing in Lightroom though. The worms and oil painting effect just seem to ruin the fine detail of my shots. Did you find this issue yourself?

@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom  15 дней назад

Thanks! I’ve not noticed this problem personally but I hear for some Fuji sensors Capture One might be a better choice

• @jeromearnould9940
    @jeromearnould9940 Месяц назад +2

Great job ...Excellent video thanks for sharing

• @gvz828
    @gvz828 Месяц назад +2

Like you, I don't like the electronic focus by wire. Plus the manual aperture is by wire, so with the other Fuji cameras (X-H2, GFX 100), the camera has to be in Aperture Priority mode for the aperture ring to work. Whereas with the SL / SL2 / SL3 with Sigma lenses, if the camera is in Program mode and you turn the aperture ring, the camera does an auto transition to Aperture Priority mode, and transitions back to Program mode if the aperture is moved back to A. Leica does it the best, the Fuji X-T cameras are second (since they don't have an explicit PASM exposure modes), and other Fuji / Nikon cameras struggle. The one area where the Fuji X-T2 is clearly better than the Zf is the ISO dial; the Zf (and Zfc) are missing an A on the ISO dial (the ISO implementation is frustrating compared to Fuji or Leica). Also the Z6 III EVF is only 5.76M in playback mode, not in manual focus mode (only 3.69M); quite disappointing. Lastly there appears to be something about the Leica SL/SL2/SL3 EVF optics than make manual focus better than any other system.

Thanks! Interesting about the Z6 III too. See next video about swapping to Leica (SL etc). Agree for MF

• @gvz828
      @gvz828 Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom Thanks Matt!! Due to your video and me being reminded of how well the SL does with MF lenses, I absolutely need to put one (used SL2-S) at the top of my camera list. Thanks again!! (Jerry)

• @kevincooper8666
    @kevincooper8666 Месяц назад +2

OK Matt but the Fuji 35mm 1.4 came out in 2011 with the xpro 1 both dog slow and difficult to autofocus I wasn't saying the xt2 was a bad body but the 35mm 1.4 will improve on a post 2020 body but I think you should be using the 33mm 1.4 to go up against Leica for image quality alternatives are the fujicrons 23/F2. 35/F2. 50/F2 all are fast focusing silent and sharp even at F2 I understand what your saying about like for like chronologically speaking but Fuji were late to the game and although they had always built great cameras their experience with autofocus and image stabilisation was zero and they have been on catchup since I mean when the xpro 1 came out Olympus had the pen epm1 out fast accurate autofocus ibis in a tiny body Fuji struggled to get ibis into the xt4 9 years later so you have to cut Fuji some slack Matt I look forward to seeing your next instalment on Fuji v Leica all the best

Thanks Kevin, appreciated. Yes I was not knocking the 35mm f1.4 at all. I was happy with the AF (as someone that uses MF normally), and didn't notice no IBIS as I don't have that in my own cameras. Agree for anyone used to the latest and greatest fast AF / mod cons this older body features might not be what they were hoping for but it worked well for my needs.

• @jw48335
    @jw48335 Месяц назад +3

Nice! Surprised you have not given Fuji a try yet. For portrait style of photography, I actually prefer GFX100 crop mode vs the SL series. I don't own either, but I've rented several times.
    The absolute stunner I rented recently is the Pentax K3iii Monochrome. I will be buying that sometime soon, not just for digital, but for film digitization. The Pentax monochrome sensor yields perfect film grain with slightly better DR than a Sony A7R4😁 The 31mm Limited cut a perfect balance between old and new as well.

Thanks! Yes I've always been so happy with the SL I never look elsewhere but I thought I'd do this for Fuji-Leica fans. Pentax K3iii - interesting!

• @jw48335
      @jw48335 Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom I mostly dislike the X-Trans sensor output, with similar observations about the "look". It gets better on the later 40mpx sensor, but then you run into lens resolution limitations.
      Any of the GFX bodies produce dramatically better files with a Bayer sensor and 4:3 aspect ratio. I absolutely love adapting my Bronica PE glass to GFX too.

• @stuartmeador8993
    @stuartmeador8993 Месяц назад +2

Definitely there are differences... I have used many Fuji Cameras over the years and as many Leicas. I moved off each of the Fujis in short order had kept the Leicas.....until recently when I moved off even the Leicas and got a Nikon Zf. Personal preference for ease of use, accessibility of features, good color & BW.

• @Jaromat
    @Jaromat Месяц назад +1

Can't wait for your xpro3 test.

Next week!

• @Jaromat
      @Jaromat Месяц назад

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom I suppouse it can be tricky to know all customization options the camera offers if you haven't played with it for quite a long time. What is cool about Fuji system is that you can use Voigtlander lenses dedicated to X mount. They have realy nice 35mm 1.2, 23mm and others.
      As a analog Nikon body user I really like x-pro3 and if not a design flaw with screen ribbon, the x-pro3 would be a perfect camera. Hope you enjoy it.

• @thewildgoose7467
    @thewildgoose7467 Месяц назад +2

The x-t1 has a magnification button below the rear command dial. Others have commented that on the x-t2 you push in the command dial for magnifying which is also on my GFX 50r, but I actually prefer using the dedicated button on the x-t1.
    I'm not a fan of focus peaking myself, I find the "split screen/fresnel glass" aid easier to nail focus. I'm guessing it should be on the x-t2 also?

Thanks, I used the 2 screen view where it shows a small magnified view of the full image. I'll have a play around.

• @thewildgoose7467
      @thewildgoose7467 Месяц назад

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom Cool, the one I use is called Digital Split Image under the MF Assist menu, and it can be used in combination with the magnification button?

• @stephanpaier9887
    @stephanpaier9887 Месяц назад +1

Hi Matt! Glad you try my Suggestion😉
    Of course you can punch in magnification, just press the rear dial an you are magnified….
    Enjoy,
    Stephan

Thanks, I used the "2 window look" for the slight magnified view.

• @stephanpaier9887
      @stephanpaier9887 Месяц назад

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom Just try it, I use it everytime, I use a manual lens on the X-T2

• @kevinparkes417
    @kevinparkes417 Месяц назад +2

Interesting but... The x-pro2 would be a better comparison, especially with the 35mm f2 'fujicron'. More Leica-like in handling and you've got the amazing optical viewfinder. Also, Capture One handles Fuji files far far better than Lightroom. And you really need to explore the film simulations. I'm lucky enough to also have an M2 but for those who'd love a Leica but don't have deep enough pockets I reckon the x-pro2 is as close as you can get.

Thanks! As mentioned the X-Pro3 is coming so I can cover the RF style camera then. LR is said to be fine with older Fuji sensors but X-Pro3 and later might be better edited with C1. (The X-Pro2 was the second most popular Fuji!)

• @sebastiang7183
    @sebastiang7183 Месяц назад +2

What characteristics are present in a more "digital look" ?

It’s hard to say exactly but it’s not a positive thing. More digital noise, artifacts, artificial looking

• @ofeykalakar1
      @ofeykalakar1 Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaComno Leica glow

• @sunny16portraits
    @sunny16portraits Месяц назад +2

Fuji has such a different product from the other big manufacturers... it's very nice colours for sure from what I remember when I used for a whole day once. Have considered getting a Fuji just for digital pictures as the size is also nice but then you need to get the aps-c lenses that you cannot use on any other system or on film which is a bit annoying. You said it yourself I think, they missed a golden opportunity with not doing a full frame system (dare I say a proper rangefinder even? :)

Thanks Thomas! I'll cover vs. FF (and lenses) in another video and 100% agree.

• @cameraprepper7938
    @cameraprepper7938 Месяц назад +2

I think that the Fuji cameras are too large for being APSC sensor cameras. You should really try to compare the Leica CL to the SONY A6700 and a SONY A7RV compared to Leica SL, the SONY A6700 are more compact than the Leica CL, but with a better grip. Knowing that you like to "play" with a lot of different Lenses, the Sony system are perfect with at least 433 prime Lenses for the Sony E mount plus all the Lenses you can adapt.

Thanks, good to know. Maybe I’ll try to cover Sony in the future for completeness. I use mostly vintage or M mount lenses so wouldn’t use modern E series glass if I did.

• @cameraprepper7938
      @cameraprepper7938 Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom The are all kind of Lenses for the E mount, Zeiss, Voigtländer, Meyer.Optik Goerlitz, Kipon, 7artisans, TTartisans and what have you not... ☺ I just got the SONY A7RV which have a better IBIS than the A7RIV, so now I have a bit more fun with handhold shots in low natural light. A Leica CL has no IBIS, SONY A6500, A6600 and A6700 have IBIS. I can see that the SL series have IBIS, but not as good as the SONY A7RV which also had a much better EVF and right now is under half the price of the SL3, they share the same sensor, but SONY have a slightly higher dynamic range. Remember Minolta more or less saved Leica in the 1970´s/1980´s and SONY bought Minolta !

• @nickandrievsky5705
      @nickandrievsky5705 12 дней назад

@@cameraprepper7938we all so happy for you

• @jlwilliams
    @jlwilliams Месяц назад +3

Fuji shooter's T-shirt: "MY OTHER CAMERA IS A LEICA M. I'd be using it except the rangefinder is a bit out and there are a couple of burn holes in the shutter..."

Haha nice James :) I've made videos now on how to fix both issues so no issues anymore! :)

• @BigCameraGuyPA
    @BigCameraGuyPA Месяц назад +2

I liked the fuji. To be honest with you, I have never shot with leica, though lol out of my price range

Thanks, see the next video, Leica are sometimes cheaper than Fuji so I cover this big misconception

• @bradnelson2637
    @bradnelson2637 Месяц назад +2

Awesome!
    The for posting this!

• @doogieham
    @doogieham Месяц назад +2

Hi Matt. I can’t find your Fuji LR B&W pre-sets on your website. Can you please provide a direct link or are they not available yet?

Hi, sorry they are not available yet. I like to spend a few weeks with a camera (at least) before finalising the presets packs. I'll think I've already made 2 good ones and I'll try to get them out next month. (If you follow the blog I announce it when I post them).

• @doogieham
      @doogieham Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom Thanks. I'll look forward to checking them out.

• @bigrobotnewstoday1436
    @bigrobotnewstoday1436 20 дней назад +1

I like the Fuji better. I dislocated my shoulder so I need auto focus now.🤪. If my shoulder gets better might give Leica a spin.

• @tafar-jk1dy
    @tafar-jk1dy Месяц назад +2

I have both systems. Several Fuji X cameras and Leica M10/M7/IIIf .. Different philosophy and ... handling but same pleasure with both.
    However, I don"t understand why you use a Voigtlander M mount on Fuji X camera ? Voigtlander specially designed for Fuji X mount exist and have a better compatibility with this brand than M mount lens with and adapter

Great. I only buy lenses that I can use for film too so M, LTM, R or Nikon F. I wouldn't buy a lens for Leica L or any other modern mount where I can then use the lens with my film cameras. I normally recommend people to do the same if they play with film cameras + digital. They can use 1 set of lenses across both systems.

• @mignav464
    @mignav464 Месяц назад +1

Hey Matt, what's that little matte black ring on the front of the Voigtländer lens? Many thanks 😉

I'm glad you asked! It's to hide the silver nose of Voigtlander lenses. Designed for 28mm Nokton but fits 40mm Nokton 1.4. See here - akaralabs.com

• @lxhk3595
    @lxhk3595 Месяц назад +2

One not so obvious strength of Fuji is the focus peaking. Saying this as a friend of manual lenses. I can only compare to Lumix (great manufacturer as well). For whatever reason, i nail more shots with Fuji.

Thanks! You should always get more in focus with APS-C like Fuji due to a greater depth in focus

• @johnyoung1606
    @johnyoung1606 25 дней назад +1

I really tried but I cannot see the differences You described.... When people say these things I wonder what My problem is :( I feel that most of the differences are just that... They are different but not bad,, either way :) :) :)

@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom  25 дней назад +1

If you can't see them then the photos are OK for you. I was happy with the images I shared to the most part, otherwise I wouldn't have made the video but I had to work the RAW files to get the look I like (via developing presets)

• @nguyendaniel7042
    @nguyendaniel7042 Месяц назад +1

The bokeh and the back ground on the Fuji look really messy and not smooth like Leica but yea, still 60-70% look alike to me for what is in focus. Thanks Matt for the test!

• @jonnybgoodsilver741

the bokeh is made by the lense, not the camera

• @nguyendaniel7042
      @nguyendaniel7042 Месяц назад +1

@@jonnybgoodsilver741 not 100% i think, if that i put any leica lens to any body so i can get a leica look?

Thanks, yes the bokeh is drastically improved by added the 40mm Voigtlander lens. I'll show that in a video to follow.

Yes, Voigtlander lens improves the look a lot for this

FF also beats APS-C for good bokeh

• @petemcknight803
    @petemcknight803 Месяц назад +1

The highlight of this video was Basia. 😂

• @kevincooper8666
    @kevincooper8666 Месяц назад +2

Matt I fear your dabbling with Fuji has gone awry you are too Leica centric learn how to use a Fuji first I think a xt 4 would have been a better starting point speed of use , viewfinder build quality and you didn't use any manual focus summicrons or lux's just complained about how bad a first gen lense auto/manually focused now I thought you were going to do this thing properly instead it's building up to this is why I spend 20 times as much on a Leica justification number sorry if I sound dissapointed

Thanks Kevin, yes as I said in the video, this is first impression, not detailed testing and final conclusion. I wanted to use old Fuji vs my same aged Leica (near enough, SL 2015, M240 is older, CL 2019). You'll see me use other lenses in the future. I used what I know suits the Fuji system first as a guy that reviews lenses. (The 35mm Fuji lens was an unplanned bonus but did well for AF as mentioned). I will likely mention the value of spending a little more (or similar price) on used Leica SL vs. Fuji in a future vid (so Fuji users get the bigger picture/ missed opportunity). I've been very fair so far and will continue to keep an open mind. Stay tuned.

• @riteshshukla2583
    @riteshshukla2583 Месяц назад +14

Dude read up on the camera you are reviewing… there is a way to manually focus and did you look into film simulation ? I think you missed the whole point.

@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom  Месяц назад +7

Thanks I did manual focus. I'm just saying it isn't comparable to what I'm used to. I shot JPEG too for people that love the out of camera look. I'll cover than another time.

• @philmtx3fr
      @philmtx3fr Месяц назад +3

Hi Matt is not saying you can t focus manually, he just says the manual feeling is not great on the Fuji lenses because the coupling to focus is not mechanical. Then for film simulation yes it s a good point for Fuji to make original jpegs out of the box but honnestly they are gadgets.

• @Getoffmycloud53
      @Getoffmycloud53 Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaComHi Matt, as always love your work. Probably the only way you could cover all options would be to try out a CV x mount lens. The XT2 supports all the features of Voigtlander’s x lenses - this is nice because you have mechanical manual focus, but it is electronically registered, so you can auto zoom on the focus point and read the distance in the VF or on the LCD. Not pretending to be an expert, but the dedicated Voigtlander x mount lenses improve the MF experience IMO. The 35/1.2 which I own is relatively cheap, looking at the 27/2 and *maybe* the 18/2.8 pancakes. The 27/2 has some nice pop. I agree that MF on Fujifilm (at least on the XT2/XP2) is at best different (I’d argue inferior to some other brands, in my limited experience I prefer MF on Nikon F (not only most F mount lenses, but especially the CV SL2 lenses with electronics - really nice also on Z mount) and Z mount (I love the CV 40/1.2) and even Canon R mount. Sorry, a lot of rambling… got carried away when I saw one of my favorite photographers on YT with a Fujifilm XT2).

• @petere7396
    @petere7396 Месяц назад +1

Not really interested in Fuji stuff Matt. I’m bought in the Leica system.

That’s ok. I’ve done 450 videos so far so something for everyone (even if mostly Leica)

• @iHR4K
    @iHR4K Месяц назад +1

don't buy xpro 3 :_ it has issue with coord, so it will die at some point

• @KK-ol5ov
    @KK-ol5ov Месяц назад +1

The Leica look 😅

Ha yes, the mysterious Leica Look

• @KK-ol5ov
      @KK-ol5ov Месяц назад +1

@@MattOsborne-MrLeicaCom I get what you mean ☺️ usually people speak of the film look so it was interesting to see someone mention the Leica look but yeah Leica has a look of their own. 👍

• @knnry
    @knnry Месяц назад +1

Oh please stop

• @Mamo878
    @Mamo878 Месяц назад +1

Sigh
    There's really no excuse any longer to not know about a camera's features and how to use them _before_ a review is done about that camera. Owner's manuals are just a click away and so are numerous videos about how to use the camera and pretty much every feature on the camera.
    Matt, you simply didn't spend enough time learning about manual focus and the many focus aids built-in with a Fujifilm camera. Plus, zone focusing is very simple and effective option as well.

Thanks! This was a first impressions video rather than a deep dive. It's a good test to pick up a camera and see if you can just use it. You can with Leica but I know most brands have a lot more menus. I still used the manual focus aids I just meant compared to the SL /CL it's not as good. I'll outline that in another video as a few people read between the lines like you in that I didn't use the Fuji focus aids. I did but Leica MF experience is still much better.

• @metingokbulut837
    @metingokbulut837 Месяц назад +1

💯🇹🇷⭐️👍Bu f3 cihazdan elimde 1 adet var çok temiz satlıktır ilgilenen olursa youtube kanalımda video su mevcut

• @lensman5762
      @lensman5762 Месяц назад

Write in English man, no onewants to learn Anatolian Turkish just to read your comment. How about Swahili? Yup, it is stupid isn t it?

Thanks!

• @stevenjohnson4283
    @stevenjohnson4283 Месяц назад +1

Yeah your video confirmed my personal experience with Fujifilm, in that the images are utter flipping garbage - its all Fuji Hype. People hype and say Fuji JPEG's are the best, and I've compared and they look like s***.
    I mean I started over a decade ago with an apsc Nikon which I soon realized was s***. I saw Sony and looked at the specs and went thats for me, and nearly changed my mind on a Canon, so glad I didn't. Sony was great, then I opened my eyes to Pentax and the files coming off of those cameras are svelte particularly the K-5. So I had a Sony and a Pentax and although the Sony had better auto focus, the Pentax K-5 had images comparable to top of the line Canon's and Nikons. So I sold the Sony which was way better than Canons and Nikons in the same price range.
    Fuji comes along with these super sharp lenses, and I buy the bottom of the line Fuji and some lenses and the sharpness is very impressive but the Image quality is just rubbish. So I see an XE1 in a shop for cheap, the notorious XE1 with the viewfinder with slow refresh rates that reviewers like the NOrthrups said gave them nausea. But I'd heard how the XE1 had the best looking files with an organic look. I compared it to my worst Pentax camera and lens and the Pentax produced better images than an XE1 with 56mm 1.2 thats got zero 3D pop - oh year its sharp as heck, but I do not want to sit for hours fixing images. Pentax is miles ahead of Fuji on IQ, plus the lenses are better. Fuji is all hype and marketing and idiots think and imagine something about that brand and lenses. Thats why so many have Fuji as a second system and I was guilty of that, but sold it all off at a profit because of the Fuji hype.
    I mean you Matt Osborne said "The fuji XT2 files looked terrible and digital" and you had to sleep on it to work out "how to fix the fuji files". Its just a s*** camera system. And then they put out 40mp cameras and half their lens lineup can't resolve the sensors because of airy disks and so they've made mark 2 version of some of the lenses. I never would have ever conceived that those Fuji lenses would ever need to be upgraded to mark 2's within 10 years life span. Absolutely unbelievable that those super sharp Fuji lenses can't resolve 40mp - you run and don't walk away from Fujifilm. Flipping "Planned Obsolescence".
    Obsolete Fuji before they make your whole kit obsolete.