X-T4 Long Term Review (One year in and what I hope for the X-T5)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 31 июл 2024
  • This first video in a while here will be discussing the X-T4, what it's been like, and what I feel could be improved. This is a personal take on the camera, not a comprehensive point-by-point review. I hope you'll enjoy my thoughts on this machine.
    0:00 - Opener
    0:27 - Intro
    2:09 - Onto the X-T4
    3:28 - What's really changed for me
    8:11 - Things that don't work for me
    9:50 - What I'd like to see in the X-T5
    16:05 - Conclusion and Slideshow
    My Current Gear List:
    GFX 100S - amzn.to/31bzGsW
    GF 45-100mm f/4 - amzn.to/3jdAKUi
    GF 110mm f/2 - amzn.to/2GfLxig
    Fujifilm X-T4 - amzn.to/33b2iEp
    Fujifilm X-T3 - amzn.to/3jdBSY2
    XF 23mm f/1.4 - amzn.to/3mYuKRG
    XF 35mm f/1.4 - amzn.to/2EG2nq4
    XF 50mm f/2 - amzn.to/3jh9FzG
    XF 56mm f/1.2 - amzn.to/3jiwEKU
    XF 10-24mm f/4 - amzn.to/3cBOXrO
    XF 16-55mm f/2.8 - amzn.to/33dis06
    XF 50-140mm f/2.8 - amzn.to/2S7G1AV
    XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 - amzn.to/3rGSQmq
    Laowa 9mm f/2.8 - amzn.to/2S782Zt
    X100V - amzn.to/34bdwbn
    X100V TCL - amzn.to/3hu9yk4
    X100V WCL - amzn.to/3atAM7i
    Godox XPro-F - amzn.to/2ThYjA5
    Godox AD200 - amzn.to/2MdBrBo
    Westcott Orb - amzn.to/2P7RaU2
    Haida M7 - amzn.to/30iszyD
    Haida M10 - amzn.to/3icDz6L
    Loupedeck+ - amzn.to/3idDCz8
    NiSi X100 Filter Kit - amzn.to/2S7FnDv
    My Social Media:
    / dylangoldby. .
    / fragments.dg
    / dylangoldbyp. .
    My Newsletter:
    www.dylangoldby.com/newsletter/
    Links here are affiliate links. I'll get a small kickback (at no cost to you) if you decide to make a purchase.

Комментарии • 118

• @joachimhennrichs1089
    @joachimhennrichs1089 3 года назад +4

One of the best reviews on the pros and cons of the X-T4! Thank you very much!

• @myblackboxrocks
    @myblackboxrocks 3 года назад +11

Great video. I pretty much agree with all your points, especially the screen, but I won't be jumping to another system because of it. I guess I'm getting old but I reckon all systems have strengths and weaknesses and I'm more or less settled for now with the ergonomic MO of Fuji, their files and workflow, and the benefits of apsc and small primes for my approach. As always, YMMV

• @DylanGoldbyPhotographer
      @DylanGoldbyPhotographer  3 года назад +5

You've pretty much nailed all the reasons I haven't jumped ship yet. I'm willing to give up a few things for the ergonomics, colours, and overall size/weight combination. When it comes to things that actively interfere with the way that I shoot, I begin to look elsewhere, though. I'm really hoping that we get that screen back on the X-T4 as everything else can be worked around and I love working with the Fujifilm files.

• @SamTaylors
    @SamTaylors 3 года назад +4

Great video - thank you Dylan. You really summarised my thoughts about the X-T4 very well. I currently shoot with the X-T3 and although I would love the IBIS from the X-T4, the benefit it brings does not outweigh the negatives of the side hinged screen. I also think Fuji made a mistake releasing the X-T4 so soon after the X-T3 - I think that alienated quite a lot of people. When the X-T4 came out I considered upgrading but instead I opted to trade in a lens and buy a second X-T3 body instead. The advantages of having two identical bodies completely outweighed the benefit of IBIS and the marginal benefits of the new battery. I think a lot of people get carried away with the latest when actually having multiple identical bodies (even if they're a bit older) has major advantages.
    Anyway, thanks again for the great video and I'm looking forward to the new content you have to share.

@DylanGoldbyPhotographer  3 года назад

Thanks for watching, Sam. Here's to hoping we'll see a return to the original screen!
      I couldn't agree more about having two identical bodies. I've always had similar or identical bodies and now I feel it acutely when I'm on a fast paced shoot. It takes you out of the process of photography and forces you to focus on the gear.

• @kbqvist
    @kbqvist 3 года назад +6

Being a stills shooter only, I very much agree with your comments on the screen. And would like to add that it is also cumbersome, and probably risky to use with a strap on the camera, which I often need..

There is that, too! I never use a strap, so it hadn't occurred to me. Good point!

• @unstanic
      @unstanic 3 года назад

So it seems we need a 3-way tilt screen, that can optionally flip as well :P

• @bernios3446
    @bernios3446 2 года назад

Very calm, nice way of presenting your thoughts. As a Fuji shooter of 18 years (since S2pro) I had most Fuji cameras so far (except the Gfx). I sold my X-H1 (too heavy and slow AF in dark light), also my X_T3 to get the X-T4. I am still hesitating but I guess I will go for it. For the time being, I still have the X-T1 which still makes gorgeou images.

@DylanGoldbyPhotographer  2 года назад

Wow... The S2Pro!!! Back in the days of CCD sensors! The X-T4, as I mentioned, is a bit of a deviation from the series. It might be worth waiting to see what the X-T5 holds if you don't have a pressing need for a new camera.

• @stephendixon8575
    @stephendixon8575 3 года назад +1

Hey Dylan, as someone who loved and still owns the X-H1 and think I’ll wait for future releases instead of "upgrading" now, and whilst clearly we like some of the same things and have very different views about others, I think this has reaffirmed my decision to sit tight on upgrading my X-system cameras for now. Besides I’ve got lots to learn and play with getting used to the GFX100S for now! In the meantime really look forward to seeing your video on the Camranger and understanding what your using it for, why you need it and how it fits into your workflow. Looked at the first generation of these many years back when was still shooting a Canon 5D Mk II, but no longer sure if or how it would really help me these days, so really interested to see your video on this 👍

Cheers, Stephen. Yep, the X-T4 is the only X-T camera I've actually been disappointed in so far. As I mentioned, this was a future-proofing purchase for me, but I really don't enjoy using the camera.
      The Camranger has been... interesting... It'll be a few weeks before I can put together the video, but it's going to be a breakdown of what it's good for and what it's not.

• @nicholascorby3109
    @nicholascorby3109 3 года назад +6

I am hoping for an XT5 with a high quality XT3 like LCD screen, about 35MP and better EVF and Continuous focus..That would be my ideal Fuji camera.

• @tonyjones99
    @tonyjones99 2 года назад

I'm still using the X-T3 because of the screen, and I hope they go back to it on the X-T5. Great video, many thanks.

Glad you enjoyed it. I truly hope that screen isn't the future. It's just a pain.

• @craigcarlson4022
    @craigcarlson4022 8 месяцев назад +1

Am considering buying a used X-T4 as a way to get back into the Fuji system. Big draw for me with the '4 is it's IBIS, and being able to use it with the wide aperture primes in low light. Appreciate you sharing your experience.

• @robertrowles4948
    @robertrowles4948 3 года назад +3

I’ve owned the X-T2 & 3, and I now have the X-T4 which I really love. My only concerns are with that screen too. I agree with everything you say about it,
    but would just add that I do actually like the fact that it can be reversed and stored safely when around my neck or in the bag. Apart from that, I tend to just keep it open, but flat against the back of the camera like all digital cameras a few years back.

That's definitely a use for it. I just have a protective film on it for the same reason. Unfortunately, there are certain situations where I get great benefit from flipping the screen up or down and this screen seriously limits that. It's a simple change that really is a deal-breaker for my business.

• @tomheim9516
    @tomheim9516 2 года назад

Well done Dylan. Agree with all your points. For me, the only thing I don't like is the screen. I was going to trade in my X-T3 once the X-t4 arrived, but I'm hanging onto it for now. At least until I'm certain I can adapt. I keep an L bracket attached to my cameras 100% of the time, so getting used to this could be real challenge!

It's definitely a pain. I absolutely love having IBIS, but the screen still trips me up, even now. It's a breath of fresh air every time I pick up my X-T3, GFX, or X100V. Here's to hoping!

• @ArinaKimCinematicVlog
    @ArinaKimCinematicVlog 3 года назад +5

Fujifilm forever! 😍😍

• @TheVFXbyArt
      @TheVFXbyArt 3 года назад

Uh…after the xt5…😂

• @aarslanov8825
    @aarslanov8825 2 года назад

This review is just so spot on!! Moreover, I feel it applies well to the X-Pro3 & an X-Pro5 albeit screen situation not as bad (but could be improved)....let's drop the `4' to give Fuji some time implement ambitious upgrades..
    PS Maybe Fuji could benefit from attracting external developers.

Thanks for watching. It's certainly interesting to see Fujifilm making real distinctions between its camera lines now. Hopefully that means we'll see a return to basics with the X-T line, as well.

• @jonlaidonlie
    @jonlaidonlie 3 года назад +1

Switching between 24 fps/120 fps was a major hangup for me! It took like 10 steps to change the frame rate and then the corresponding shutter speed, rendering the camera un-usable. I do love the Fuji colors (Eterna).

• @jonlaidonlie
      @jonlaidonlie 3 года назад +1

@@nickmathews6226 last I checked, it only saves your color profiles. I hope I'm wrong about that because that was a pretty useless feature!

@DylanGoldbyPhotographer  3 года назад +1

You can add the High Speed Recording setting to a button. But, you're right, you'll still need to change shutter speed to reflect that. The GFX 100S can save shutter speeds into its custom banks, so hopefully we'll see this carry over to the next video oriented Fujifilm body (X-H2?).

• @randysmith6493
    @randysmith6493 2 года назад

I had an early model of a camera that used a 3 layer sensor, stunning image on the right kind of shots and sharpness was unbelievable, but highest ISO use was 400 or the noise would go crazy. The XT5 is said it may have a dual layered sensor, I am thinking you won’t get to reach ISO 3200 maybe. Sounds like Fuji needs faster processors for focus, and I am wondering if Fuji’s sensor color pixel configuration makes this harder to achieve effecting AF. More AF points help to get more accurate focus capture and I am wondering if the fewer four green pixel size pixel inhibit the response we seen in more expensive cameras. I like the flippy screen, versatile for nature photography, and if one needs to vlog. Hoping for better IBIS, Fuji makes stunningly sharp small lenses for still photography and they would be great for hiking tour video work if IBIS could handle wide angles less than 24mm.

• @colinfry3738
    @colinfry3738 3 года назад +3

Great Review! Agree with the screen, put me off the XT4 and i'm happier using the XH1 because of the screen and the only IBIS option with this 👍

The X-H1 is a great camera, for sure. I could just never get used to that big grip and featherlight shutter release.

• @izzwizamahjah275
    @izzwizamahjah275 3 года назад +5

Fuji really should have made the x-t line more of a photographers camera and the x-h line more of the video hybrid camera when it comes the the screens

100% agreed. Let's just hope this was a wrong turn rather than a whole new direction.

• @TheVFXbyArt
      @TheVFXbyArt 3 года назад +1

Yup! They kinda took a sharp left with the xt4, charging the formfactor (screen) and purpose (stills), hence why the xt3 is still sold.
      Vloggers ruined the Xt line.

• @izzwizamahjah275
      @izzwizamahjah275 3 года назад

@@TheVFXbyArt those damn dirty bloggers

• @TheVFXbyArt
      @TheVFXbyArt 3 года назад

@@izzwizamahjah275 xt4 screen. Rest my case!!! 🤣

• @unstanic
    @unstanic 3 года назад +2

Auto focus and face detection is a big one. On my x100v I never use face/eye detection, cause it never works, unless you have a face right in front of you starring right at you, which is almost never the case (unless you're doing portraits).

It can certainly be hit and miss. My big issue is that it finds faces in brick walls and trees instead of on humans. haha!

• @BloodyJoeMusic
    @BloodyJoeMusic 3 года назад +3

Autofocus is quite tribble on the X-T4 especially in video mode... They really should get better at this and deliver a Kaizen firmware update to improve!

There are surely improvements that can be made to the algorithm. Hopefully, we'll see a concerted effort put into it in the future.

• @trevor9934
    @trevor9934 2 года назад

I shoot predominantly Canon, but also shoot Nikon, Olympus and Sony. I had not tried Fujifilm but I was appreciative of the legacy-style ergonomics of the analogue dials on the top. I had actually bought a couple of Nikon Df bodies for that precise reason as it took me back to my roots using cameras of the1970-80's. I recently was asked to help someone with an X-T3 and got to like a lot of the Fujifilm style. Consequently, I got an X-T4 and am impressed because:
    It has the interface I like plus IBIS - sure the Nikon Zfc has the look but not the IBIS and in any case they are laying claim to the FM body styling and that was FF and I think they should have kept with that - maybe a Zf is in the offing at some stage...
    I should say that I am a stills-only shooter, so the ability to eliminate the whole suite of video controls is, to me a great benefit.
    Sorry, I Like the fully-rotating screen, but then again I am not doing video, or tethering, but I like being able to rotate the screen in to protect the LCD display
    The improved battery is impressive but the ability to have an additional two batteries in the grip is even more so. I usually shoot with long lenses so the grip actually helps with balancing the lens.
    I got the 16-80 kit lens, but will be using my Canon glass via the adapter with control ring - although I am frankly most likely to use it as a carry around unit much of the time.
    Given that your review is several months old (5)?, I see that there have been several firmware updates, so that might explain why I am not having so much issue with the focus tracking. For serious stuff I will still be using my FF DSLRs and MILCs.
    Thank you for you comments, as a newbie to Fujifilm I found them very interesting.

Thanks for sharing your comprehensive thoughts, Trevor. I hope you enjoy working with the camera!

• @alexzhang9318
    @alexzhang9318 2 года назад

concise and objective

• @fotogmike5887
    @fotogmike5887 2 года назад +1

Nice video! You mentioned thinking about going to Nikon if Fuji persists with flippy screen, then later talk about the poor face/eye tracking. As a long-time, professional Nikon user, I have to say that you don't want to move to Nikon any time soon if tracking is important for you. Like Fujifilm, Nikon's face/eye detection works poorly in tracking mode. Reviewers show it working great in bright daylight conditions with contrasty subjects in front of plain backgrounds. My experience is that my Z6ii is no better than my X-T4 for face/eye tracking, and not quite as good as the X-T4 with still human subjects. Aside from that, the Z6ii is a fantastic camera and has produced great images for me.

@DylanGoldbyPhotographer  2 года назад +1

I've used the Z6 II for a while and noted its limitations. For me, the tracking of faces and eyes is far less important than just finding them in the first place, which Fujifilm truly struggles with.
      So far, I haven't had a chance to use the Nikons in low light, but would definitely do so before making the switch. We have plenty of rental houses here and experience programs with the local dealers.
      I'm on the fence, but it will only take a little push from Fujifilm at this stage to get me in full-blown search-for-a-new system mode. The cameras are fantastic, but there are so many small things that could be done better.

• @fotogmike5887
      @fotogmike5887 2 года назад

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer I agree. Thanks for the response.

• @benbowland
    @benbowland 3 года назад +1

In my ideal world, the X-Pro series would be the specialized halo stills product that people buy for the emotion and feel (like Leica), the X-T would be the powerhouse stills camera (with ergonomics meant for STILLS) that can still take world class video if needed, and the X-H series would be their dedicated video body that has video-centric ergonomics and features but doesn't sacrifice stills performance. Hopefully with the release of the X-H2 in early 2022 they will be able to make the X-T5 a little more comfortable for stills work.

Pretty much what Sony is doing. Fujifilm definitely needs to delineate their lineup a little more. The X-Pro3 was a good step in this direction. Fingers crossed.

• @SkonrokkenTV
    @SkonrokkenTV 2 года назад

The s1h has the answer to the screen problems, but a bit gigantic. But for wedding photographers who also do video must be the answer. Never use the flippy screen thing on my s5, but then just an amateur. Keep up the videos! Going through them now to see what I can learn. And just realized you are most likely a kiwi, not an aussie, thank god!

True on the S1H. I have zero desire to go back to a full-frame system unless I'm painted into a corner. The size and weight of APS-C systems is difficult to give up.
      Cheers for stopping by this Aussie, but Kiwi-recognised, spot. ;)

• @babyboy1971
    @babyboy1971 Год назад

I have an XT3 and a X100V. I love both.
    I’m trying to decide on a new body and I’m having a hard time deciding between the XT4 and the XPRO 3. I LOVE the rangefinder style of my X100, so I’m leaning toward the XPRO, but I’d love your opinion. I shoot studio portraits and headshots, and personal branding portraits.
    Very occasionally, I shoot family portraits and kids.
    My work is all about people and personal connection and minimalism.
    I’d love your thoughts. Do you think the XPRO 3 is a good choice? I’ve also thought about the XE4 but I’m not sure if that would be TOO minimal.
    PS: I never shoot video, except for occasional vlogging or BTS, in which case I use my little Sony ZV1.

• @ramboj7924
    @ramboj7924 3 года назад

the slower autofocus speed is a trade off for having instant depth of field preview, which I much prefer seeing the final outcome before you take the shot. dof preview buttons are annoying.
    its why the canon R range is so fast because it uses the widest aperture of the lens to autofocus all the time and relies on only the dof preview button to see any stopped down changes in the finder or lcd.
    in other words, fuji would have to go the canon route and ditching the above for any substantial autofocus gains

• @gmcubed
      @gmcubed 3 года назад

I'd be fine with that, just make it an option.

• @dleute
    @dleute 2 года назад

Your videos are fantastic! I am an amateur photographer (read: I take pictures of my family) looking to upgrade my canon 50d that I have been using since early 2009. 17-55 f/2.8 is my only lens.
    I have a couple issues I want to improve: 1) it has never been great in low light, indoor photography with moving kids. 2) autofocus in those situations is similarly challenging.
    The xt4 with one of the new f/1.4 primes and a zoom is the setup I want. It just seems so much more appealing than competitors options in aps-c or full frame to me.
    Like most, you complain about the subject/eye/face tracking being meh (compared to competition). But you use it for well lit family photography professionally. You also say you would love another stop of iso performance.
    How do you feel about it in the fast moving low light of your personal photography? Would you still prefer it over an r6 or a7 iv when that is the primary use case triggering the upgrade?
    I am a bit stuck as I choose rf/x/z/e for the next bunch of years.
    Thanks!

Hi Derek,
      Thanks for watching and thanks for detailing your thoughts. I'd say get the camera that makes your happy when you have it in your hands, first and foremost. Are you doing this for work or just for a hobby? Do you have a budget you need to stick to? Those would likely have a big impact on the decision.
      In answer to your other questions, here they are in order:
      AF: It's true that Fujifilm's AF is a little behind some of the competition and yes I'd like to see it improved. But, these are nit-picks. We're so spoilt with the AF on pretty much all modern cameras that we start looking for things that could be improved. Same thing for ISO.
      Personal work: When it comes to personal work, I don't ever want for anything more. There's no pressure to perform and thus it doesn't matter. If I miss a shot, I miss a shot. No harm done.
      Sony/Canon: I have absolutely no desire to move to a full-frame system at this point. If I did, I'd be aiming at Nikon as I love their ergonomics.
      Hope this helps,

• @dleute
      @dleute 2 года назад

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer thanks Dylan!! I would bet that if I ignored eye/subject tracking and just used it like I do my canon or possibly with zone, it would still be way better.
      I don’t actually care about having eye or subject tracking. I just want easier low light pictures.
      I am just worried the f/1.4 will put more stress on autofocus due to the narrower depth of field. If I end up having to shoot near f/2.8 anyway, I would lose the light advantage. This is one reason I want to stay on aps-c since full frame makes it even narrower. I don’t want or need more bokeh just more light.
      X-s10 is on the table as well.

• @elliotresnick5433
    @elliotresnick5433 2 года назад +1

Great video! When you carry your XT4 or X100v on your bike, what bag or sling are your using??

I have a whole video on this. You can check it out here:
      ruclips.net/video/BHcUuIGcDz8/видео.html
      This is slowly changing as I've got myself a road bike. I might update it soon.

• @mitchgourley3082
    @mitchgourley3082 3 года назад +1

I've shot thousands of photos over the past year+ with my XT4. I do sometimes wish that I bought a full frame camera considering the price but as a hybrid camera it might be the best. I just wish fuji had cheaper lenses.

You might be in luck with the mount opening now. We'll start to see Sigma and Tamron making some great offerings, I think.

• @MelvinGarcia
    @MelvinGarcia 2 года назад

A better flippy screen is what Panasonic made and everyone thought Fuji would integrate in future cameras. Double hinge so you can flip it like on the X-T3 and flip it out like the X-T4. Best of both worlds. I don’t think the flip out screen is asking to be broken, I’ve put mine through hell and it still works well, but the screen getting in the way of cables is just such a pain.
    I think the X-T4 came out too early and Fuji cut some corners to put it out. The buffer filling in so fast is one the things that bothers me to no end although a very welcome improvement over the X-T3 is the fact that long exposures are processed in the background so once your exposure is done the photo is ready, unlike the X-T3 which you have to wait the same amount of time to get the photo processed in camera. No one mentions this.
    The X-T4 is what the X-T3 should’ve been, IMO. Hopefully the new stacked sensor and software improvements make the next generation of cameras more pleasant to use. I barely use face/eye detect because I can’t trust it to do it’s job.

Panasonic's was indeed a good solution. Let's see how Fujifilm does next time.
      As for me, I have such little faith in Fujifilm's screens at this stage... every X-T body I have owned has had a broken screen for one reason or another... drops of water, torn cables, broken hinges. Honestly, I've probably spent more time repairing LCDs on my Fujifilm cameras than all repairs I've made on other cameras combined.
      Hopefully, we'll see some big jumps forward with the next generation.

• @MarkHolmes1
    @MarkHolmes1 3 года назад +2

The screen puts me off the X-T4 even though I mostly shoot with my X-T3 screen off. The ergonomics around the ports feels like a real step backwards for tethering and L-bracket use too. Sure I would adjust but would likely shoot it either screen closed or flush outward and forego tilting in the midst of an event or mosh pit heavy gig. Otherwise feels like there is much to like.

It's a great camera, for sure. That screen is just something that doesn't fit at all with its purpose. After all these years of being able to open up possibilities with the existing screens, it definitely feels like a big step backgwards.

• @tonyjames5444
    @tonyjames5444 3 года назад +2

For years every time a new XT camera is released its AF is supposed to be excellent....that is until the next one and then the next one. Indifferent to Fuji's AF but their buisiness model is spot on.

That's definitely one way to look at it. Honestly, the AF is fine for the most part, but it is seriously behind the competition at this stage. I've found ways to make it work, but I'd love to see improvements.

• @ghas4151
    @ghas4151 3 года назад +1

Do you have an eye on one of the Nikon Z cameras? I wouldn’t blame you and I agree with all of your points. 👍

If I were to switch, I'd get a Z7, I think. Honestly, I don't want to switch systems. Initially, I move to Fujifilm because I wanted the benefits of mirrorless and Nikon didn't have a mirrorless. It was a painful time on the wallet and getting used to the idiosyncrasies of a new system. I'd rather not do it again so let's hope it doesn't come to that!

• @acmdv
    @acmdv 3 года назад +1

Do you think the X-T5 will have the same higher megapixel sensor that the rumoured X-H2 will have? Do you think the X-H2 will have the same body as the GFX100S?

• @gaza4543
    @gaza4543 2 года назад +1

I’m still working with the xt 2 and it’s been a trooper taken the best of my life with it. But I have been looking to buy a new body. The problem I have is the xt4 is a very different camera from the xt2. And I love how Fuji cameras handle but when compared to many other cameras they are offering a lot more and even after all these years the autofocus is still a sticking point. Sure if you stick with the f2 primes the size argument holds true start looking at there more exotic lenses and things start to be a little more complicated. It’s a difficult, as designer and content creative I look at all my supplies as tools. I’m not brand loyal. Right down to pencils I draw with. And for me Sony or canon will be getting my money at some point, more likely a Sony a7s3 and yes 12mp is more than enough especially with the new Ai enhancement features in Lightroom it’s just a more complete camera at this stage.

That is a lot of thoughts packed into a very dense paragraph! I hope you are happy with your next camera!

• @gaza4543
      @gaza4543 2 года назад

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer it’s what what happens when you can draw better than can spell or write and read for that matter . But thanks for pointing out my deficiency.

That's hardly what I meant! Haha. Just hope you're happy with your final decision!

• @grayexperience
    @grayexperience 2 года назад +1

I hear ya on the autofocus. I wanted wide tracking to work so bad. Canon’s implementation in the R is spot on. It was a let down, but it has challenged me and I’ve grown. However, let’s not have that be an excuse to not innovate. Bring us better AF please, Fuji.

I haven't had a chance to use Canon's AF yet. I hear good things from colleagues that own the R system, though.

• @grayexperience
      @grayexperience 2 года назад

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer Yup. It’s just like anything else that takes learning.

• @atasfong
    @atasfong 2 года назад

Great comments, I follow your Instagram of the tattoo portraits. It would be nice to see more photo examples in the videos in the future. Thanks.

• @garthtravis5593
    @garthtravis5593 2 года назад

hey great review! How do I get a copy of that wallpaper ur using?

The wallpaper? As in the wallpaper of my house?

• @garthtravis5593
      @garthtravis5593 2 года назад

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer haha no I mean your desktop background

@@garthtravis5593 Oh... haha. That's just a quick frame I shot of my X-T4 for this video. :)

• @andrisstanga5938
    @andrisstanga5938 2 года назад

Hmmm... I get all the points, but with the one switch toggle from still to video mode it's pretty obvious this is meant as a hybrid camera. There's the X-Pro series if you don't want something so obviously hybrid. It would instantly lose that hybrid status by going back to the xt3 screen. Perhaps we need the xt5 to give 2 versions - one for the primarily stills photographer and one for the hybrid users.

The X-T series have always been hybrid cameras. However, this was the first time they ruined it for photo-centric applications in my opinion. This screen should be on the X-H series, not the X-T series. As for the X-Pro series... those are not for me. I've owned the Pro1 and Pro2 but could never work with them for my applications (fast moving situations). Those are not for the rigors of event and family work.

• @ghas4151
    @ghas4151 3 года назад +1

For me they need to go back to the size of the X-T1. The X-T4 is too close in size to the mirrorless FF cameras.
    I’d also like to see better build quality (the exterior begins to show wear quickly) and I agree about the rear LCD. Bring the tilt screen back and make it sit flush like on the X100V.

I agree on both points here. Unfortunately, I think the extra size is mostly to do with IBIS and the battery, so there's not much to be done there. As for the build quality, I agree. Fujifilm does a good job, but then you pick up a Nikon or a Canon and you know what's possible.

• @TheVFXbyArt
    @TheVFXbyArt 3 года назад +1

Still rocking the xt3, strickly as a stills shooter.
    Still want the new film sims as a firmware….

I still use mine as well. Hopefully you'll see the new sims hit the X-T3. It would be poor form if those were one of the big differentiators between the two models.

• @AurelGergey
    @AurelGergey 3 года назад +3

Fuji has to up it's autofocus game asap and massively, otherwise I might sneak over to Nikon land too. Had an easy people video shooting last week and AF+face detection f*cked me up constantly (newer lens, xt3), had to shift over to manual focussing - in bright sunlight.

• @cameraman655
      @cameraman655 3 года назад +1

Agreed...I have been a Fuji shooter going back to ‘17’ and a Canon user for some 35 years before that, and yes, I too am getting very tired of the lousy AF capabilities of Fuji’s system. That said, I have no desire to leave this system and return to FF, or any other manufacturer. At the end of the day, it comes through when needed. Still, if Fuji does not take seriously this issue of accurate AF, they could be in trouble a few years down the line. Frequent Firmware updates are great and all, but if they do not address the problem, well...

• @AurelGergey
      @AurelGergey 3 года назад +2

@@cameraman655 Agree with everything.
      I entered the Fuji arena with the xt20, here the face AF was just not working at all. Now, with latest firmwares, it does "work" somehow and sometimes. Still far away from having reached Sony level or even older Canon Dual Pixel AF level - my stone age Canon 100D had better AF backt then 2014!

• @cameraman655
      @cameraman655 3 года назад +1

@@AurelGergey Indeed, still all said, like I commented, despite the flaws with Fuji’s AF, I just love Fuji’s cameras. Perhaps as an old man of 55, growing up and cutting my career with film, manual cameras, twisting knobs, dials, and f-stop rings, nostalgia rules my emotions. However as long as I and my clients are happy with the results, well, I can live with Fuji’s flaws. Fuji has a reputation of listening to their user base, I do not doubt that they are trying to work a solution to this issue and maybe the X-T5 will nail AF, who knows... For the time being I am content with my X-T2, X-Pro 3 and X-E2s...

• @AurelGergey
      @AurelGergey 3 года назад +1

@@cameraman655 I'm 50+ too and equally not flawless, so welcome Fuji:-)

• @kbqvist
    @kbqvist 3 года назад +1

Just to add a couple of points more to the rant against the screen:
    It gives you zero flexibility if you need to have a cable connected to the left side of the camera (charging, hdmi, microphone, remote),
    or if you use a L-plate...

I talked about that towards the end. It's a horrible situation for tethering and audio.

• @kbqvist
      @kbqvist 3 года назад +1

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer Sorry, I forgot that :-)

Not at all! Just agreeing. :)

• @benjones8977
    @benjones8977 2 года назад

I hate the screen also, they should’ve made it like the X100V. I also had to send mine in for repair, because the screen stopped working. Fortunately it was under warranty.

Lucky the warranty was good for it! I'm really worried about that screen, too.

• @benjones8977
      @benjones8977 2 года назад

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer
      After I got it back I just make sure I don’t play with it, as I don’t do video. I figure I’ll just leave it alone and use it like my pro 2.

• @Stevesmith-yw7cr
    @Stevesmith-yw7cr 3 года назад +1

The Flippy screen........very useful for some videos. You can complain about it but I doubt Fuji will go back to the standard screen....unless everyone complains. So far as I can see, it is about 70% for the flippy screen and 15% against....with the remainder not caring one way or the other. Fuji put the flippy screen on the X-T4 because a lot of people wanted it. That is just the way it is....for now. The way the flippy screen is designed on the X-T4 makes for better sealing of the camera than the other design on say like the X-T3. More dust and water resistant.
    It would be great to have a version with and one without a flippy screen.... doubtful that would happen. Threatening to go back to Nikon will do no good. Will Nikon even be in business in another year or two? Time will tell.

It is indeed useful to some people and not tp others. This, being my video, contains my opinion about it. As a working photographer, it makes my job difficult and, thus, if it doesn't change, will require a change in tools. That's not a a threat, nor generalised statement aimed to change the mind of my viewers or the designers at Fujfilm, it's a simple fact. It makes my job difficult and other cameras have a better solution.

• @Stevesmith-yw7cr
      @Stevesmith-yw7cr 3 года назад +1

@@DylanGoldbyPhotographer I do agree and do not want to say you have no grounds for complaint. I shoot mostly photos and a flippy screen is kind of limiting when certain angles are needed. I often think my X-100 was better for some photo situations.
      I look at it this way.....you need a phillips head screwdriver but only have a straight blade screwdriver. You can use it on a phillips head screw but having the right screwdriver is way better. Having the right tool is always a good idea!
      Good video by the way. Made me think!!!!!!

• @hifibloke
    @hifibloke 2 года назад

yep.... only Canon :)

• @mikemo5520
    @mikemo5520 Год назад

show your PHOTOS IN YOUR VIDEOS WHILE YOU TALK...

• @r.house.k7315
    @r.house.k7315 2 года назад

Dude speak 🗣 up

• @florentin-danbaciu8389
    @florentin-danbaciu8389 3 года назад

Boring.
    I couldn't resist until the end.