Abandoned memories on film (Canon T90)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 2 окт 2024
  • My friend asked me to take photographs of an abandoned house she and her sister once lived in years ago. I took my Canon T90 35mm film camera and set about documenting the abandoned house and the many things inside of it on Kodak Portra 800 and Lomography CN 400 film. In addition, my friend found a forgotten disposable film camera from 1995, and I developed the film inside. See the results and many more things in this change of pace video! Why do we photograph abandoned houses?
    Join my Patreon for as little a $1 a month! / jamiemphoto
    Music by Mike Gutterman! Support him here: mikegutterman.b...
    Subscribe to my channel by clicking here: ruclips.net/user/jam...
    See every episode from the beginning! • Jamie Maldonado Vlogs ...
    And see every episode from the newest back! • Jamie Maldonado Vlogs ...
    DSLR Camera scans playlist: • DSLR / Camera scans
    Some of my personal favorite Camera Insecura episodes: • Personal Favorites Spr...
    www.jamiemphoto...

Комментарии • 20

• @srad.
    @srad. 2 года назад

love this video! abandoned places are so cool (but also sad). the amount of stories they could tell...

• @JamieMPhoto
      @JamieMPhoto  2 года назад +1

Thank you! And yes! This was a very dark memory for them, but also I think it helped a lot to revisit it. So fascinating, and definitely so sad. I appreciate it and I hope you are doing super well!

• @theundefinedphotographer
    @theundefinedphotographer 2 года назад +1

It's hard for me to put a finger on why I enjoy exploring and photographing abandoned places. I'm not a religious person at all, but sometimes it feels that there's a leftover energy to abandoned places, like the building or house itself has a soul, and by exploring it, I'm acknowledging its existence. It's a weird train of thought, or maybe it's just morbid curiosity. In any case, thanks for documenting and sharing Roxie and Becca's revisit of their childhood home. For me, I'm always afraid to revisit old places that I used to frequent because I'm afraid of seeing how much they've changed. And in turn, it's a reminder of how much I've changed. I remember driving by my old house a few months ago and feeling both nostalgic yet detached from it because the doors and garages have been painted over and our garden had been cleared. It's the same house, yet not the same.

• @JamieMPhoto

That makes a lot of sense, and thank you!! I agree with the feeling of "energy" in places. My childhood home still exists, I believe, but I have no idea where it is. It was a trailer, so the last time I saw it, it was being moved. But I have revisited old offices and places like that, and it can definitely be a bummer in a lot of ways. A few years back, I got to explore my old Kindergarten/First Grade school before it was torn down. Talk about a crazy feeling!

• @theoldcameraguy
    @theoldcameraguy 2 года назад +2

Love found film - If those walls could talk - the stories they’d tell…

• @JamieMPhoto
      @JamieMPhoto  2 года назад

Yes! And I almost used a title like that for this ... Thank you for watching!

• @pitmanra
    @pitmanra 2 года назад

Very cool. Remembrance of Things Past...

• @Old52Guy
    @Old52Guy 2 года назад +1

To answer the central question, why not photograph abandoned buildings? Pull up your state or county or province historical society (Library of Congress, too). Someone thought it was important enough to photograph buildings. Up untill the 1940s buildings were built to last and thus convey a sense of permanence. A lot of these buildings are now being torn down, as are a lot of houses for a variety of reasons, usually related to putting in more expensive housing etc. Photos (and videos) are the only way to preserve pieces of this history so that future generations might perhaps learn from the past.
    Personally, I find a type of beauty in abandonment. It covers a frozen moment in time that will eventually disappear. It connects the future with the past. Coupled with a written description and a brief history that piece of history comes alive. I photographed my great grandparents'home that was scheduled for demolition (replaced by a10 unit condo). The photos sparked memories of activities, parties, and most important, the people. I sent copies to surviving grandchildren and great grandchildren and gathered enough written and photo material that producing a book for family members is in process.

• @JamieMPhoto

Great answer! And that's awesome. There's a good reason I'm extremely fascinated by history, and why it's so disconcerting to see cheap/temporary construction replace things with only flimsy justifications. Thank you for watching and sharing!

• @douglashunter5703
    @douglashunter5703 2 года назад

+ 1 for quoting The Poetics of Space.

• @JamieMPhoto

Thank you!! It's awesome. Thank you for watching and commenting!

• @Eclectachrome
    @Eclectachrome 2 года назад

Really cool, amazing the photo they found and exploring a time past!

• @JamieMPhoto

Thank you! And I agree! So wild that those things were among it all for all these years.

• @AlexLuyckxPhoto
    @AlexLuyckxPhoto 2 года назад

I loved exploring abandoned buildings. I did plenty of houses but always preferred industrial. These are both awesome and sad at the same time, especially when there is a personal connection to a building.

• @JamieMPhoto

Absolutely true! I once shot in a house years ago that still had stacks of checks and banking statements from the late '70s in it (this was sometime around 2014). It's interesting to know what series of events happen to cause someone to just leave things and never come back for them.

• @EdwardIglesias
    @EdwardIglesias 2 года назад

Amazing video. It really hits me since I spent the morning with the Library Director interviewing some graduates of the class of 1960 where I work at Salve Regina. It was an all girls Catholic school then and lets just say things have changed. Two of the ladies brought photos from the time that we are digitizing and adding to the archive which will be part of Storycorp.

• @JamieMPhoto

Oh wow! I’m definitely super fascinated by that kind of stuff. I loved digging through the archives at my old job … or any job actually. Haha. That’s really cool!

• @carltanner9065
    @carltanner9065 2 года назад

What it reminds me of is just how transitory humanity really is. We're barely a blip and then we not here at all. Even memory is impermanent. Unless there is something here to remember what has gone, then nothing remains.

• @JamieMPhoto

Hopefully a reminder to all of us who get caught up in lesser aspects of life. We should certainly make the most of the moment we get, because we aren't guaranteed anything more. Thank you for watching and commenting!