Spraying Clear Woodworking Finishes with Turbine System and HVLP Sprayer Fuji Q5 Platinum T75G T70

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 8 сен 2024
  • Woodworking requires an excellent finish, and spray finishing is the best way to get results. See my process for spraying woodworking projects with clear finishes like lacquer and shellac. A Turbine system is easy to set up, and even easier to use. If you're coming from a compressor driven conversion spray paint gun, you'll be amazed how little overspray there is. It's great for finishing projects in the shop, but also excellent for refinishing cabinets in place. Follow along as Willie Sandry the Thoughtful Woodworker shows the DIY process step by step.
    Q5 Turbine with T75G gravity feed spray gun (recommended)...
    amzn.to/3JBPd9Q
    Q5 Turbine with T70 bottom feed spray gun... amzn.to/3JKfBOM
    T75G gravity feed spray gun... amzn.to/3tFATYm
    T70 bottom feed spray gun... amzn.to/3DfLHQi
    1.0mm Air Cap for T series HVLP guns... amzn.to/3IF6i1o
    Air Cap Set w/case... amzn.to/3wIVY6l
    Or shop my entire curated collection (Shop Tested) on The Thoughtful Woodworker Storefront…
    www.amazon.com...
    As an Amazon Associate I earn commissions, and am grateful for your support.
    #woodworking

Комментарии • 37

• @jamisonr
    @jamisonr 9 месяцев назад +1

I'm about 6 months into spraying my own projects now, and really enjoy it. Have you tried the 3M PPS system? I converted my T70 and T75G to it, 28 oz for the T70 and 400ml for the 75G. I can't imagine spraying without them!

• @TheThoughtfulWoodworker
      @TheThoughtfulWoodworker  9 месяцев назад +1

I haven't used the PPS system but plan to. Lately I've been using the 2 quart pressure pot. Anything that lets you spray upside down is great!

• @jamisonr
      @jamisonr 9 месяцев назад +1

@@TheThoughtfulWoodworkerIt's the cleanup, and potentially mid-term storage of paint that I really love about the system. Spraying upside down is also huge. I hated cleaning the can on my T70.

• @Billlovelace4171951
    @Billlovelace4171951 2 года назад

Great video. I have a rig similar to yours but older, which I bought used. Used it spraying epoxy on a tub, and a few times working on cars. Brings to mind some possibilities I have not thought of. 👍👍 keep up the good work😃

• @spkendrick
    @spkendrick 2 года назад +1

Same tip size for conversion varnish

• @jamisonr
    @jamisonr Год назад

I bought the Q5 Platinum from one of your other videos. It sat in my shopping cart a couple weeks before I convinced myself to spend that kind of money and now it's time to actually try it. I appreciate how you anticipate questions that might arise and answer them in the video, such as what tip size you were using with the shellac. One thing I'm not clear on, and that would be when you thinned the lacquer, do you use a strict ratio all the time, or is there a "feel" that you just have to learn? (Edit...I actually see you answered this in other comments, so thanks again!)

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  Год назад

Congrats on the new Q5. For lacquer, I usually thin 10-15% . Sometimes I thin a little more on the first coat. Lately I've really been impressed with the 1.0mm tip for all clear finishes. Best.

• @marvincarle1313
    @marvincarle1313 2 года назад

Great video. Was wondering if you could do a video on the cabinet that you have your Q5 in. I am currently looking for ideas on a cabinet for my Q5 as I am tired of always having it in the cardboard box that it came in. Lol

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  2 года назад

Hi Marvin, look for an upcoming Popular Woodworking article with all the specs from my cart for the Q5 turbine. It works great, I use it all the time.
      Best

• @bluewanderer9903
    @bluewanderer9903 2 года назад

That looks beautiful from this side of the screen. You seem to be getting great results with this system. Have you ever tried polyurethanes like shervin williams with fuji?
    Thanks

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  2 года назад +1

Haven't had a chance to spray poly with it. With so many tips available though, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem. The Q5 sprays lacquer and shellac great. Bi especially like the T75G gun.
      Thanks

• @bluewanderer9903
      @bluewanderer9903 2 года назад

@@TheThoughtfulWoodworker thank you 👍

• @timgarwick1275
    @timgarwick1275 2 года назад

Great video! I have two question for you. How long do you recommend waiting between coats before scuff sanding and what do you recommend your lacquer to thinner mix be? I have heard 80/20 and 70/30. Thanks

Thanks. Pre-catalyzed lacquer can be scuff sanded as soon as it's dry. I use 800-1200 soft sanding sponge between coats. Then I wet sand with a 1500 grit sponge after the final coat (optional step). As far as thinning, I'd guestimate my lacquer is thinned 20% on the first coat (to smoothly seal), and 10-15% on the second coat (to build a finish).
      Best of luck with it.

• @CaoimhinOhUrdail
    @CaoimhinOhUrdail 2 года назад

Very useful video series on the fuji spray system. I'm a harp maker and at the moment I brush on shellac, then buff it out with elbow grease, wax and fine wire wool. I'm thinking of investing in a sprayer though cos I think my results could be better. It looks like you get great results with shellac. Is the finish good enough 'off the gun' or do you do any buffing afterwards? Thanks for these videos!

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  2 года назад +2

Hi Kevin, for lacquer you can get a perfect off the gun finish, but shellac is different. Since it doesn't melt into the previous coat, I always buff it a little. Sometimes wet sanding with soapy water and a 1000 grit soft sanding sponge is all it takes. A large piece of furniture takes about 15 minutes to wet sand.
      Best

• @CaoimhinOhUrdail
      @CaoimhinOhUrdail 2 года назад

Thanks for the reply Willie, you're a gentleman. That gives me a bit to think about.

• @mrchrisknight315
    @mrchrisknight315 5 месяцев назад

Seeing that you are using a 5 stage set up, how good of a finish is the semi pro 2 stage version? Still worth the investment, or just cheap out and get a 150$ handheld unit, save up and go for a 5 stage unit later on.

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  5 месяцев назад +1

Still worth it. The big difference is the Semi Pro 2 is louder, but most people don't mind.

• @mrchrisknight315
      @mrchrisknight315 5 месяцев назад

@@TheThoughtfulWoodworker thanks. I guess I'll put in an order on the semi pro 2. Lots of good information in your videos.also is great that you take the time to answer your viewers questions.

• @guyboucher9727
    @guyboucher9727 11 месяцев назад

Hi. This is great! Unfortunately, I have just discovered your video, but I found it very informative, thank you. I actually went and bought the May/June Popular Woodworking Magazine to find out more information about your spray cabinet. I am hoping you can help me in answering a question regarding your design. I’ve noticed that you have doors on each side of the turbine and not at the back. I got the impression that the Heat Dissipation Chamber they have at the back would require open space behind it, which I do not see in your cabinet. I’m sure I’m missing something here and would appreciate it if you could clarify it for me. Thanks!

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  11 месяцев назад +1

There are cabinet style doors on the front, and a flip-up door on the back. Ventilation while using the turbine is a must, because it generated some heat that you don't want to trap in a cabinet. You could also leave the lower cabinet open. Best to you.

• @guyboucher9727

@@TheThoughtfulWoodworker Thank you for the prompt response. The open doors reveal the sides though, not the back. Is that correct? So, do I understand that, as long as there is ventilation, whether it is off the sides or the back is not necessarily a must, as long as can circulate in the space where the turbine is located? Thanks!

• @guyboucher9727

One more question, if I may. The fact that the hose of the turbine is up approximately 4 inches from the floor as it goes through the grommet, could it be a concern that it might bind a little as it lays on the floor or do you always have it going from the turbine, looped around the support and then going on the floor from that point?
      The fact that I am really interested in building a similar cabinet to yours, triggers a number of questions, so I hope you’re okay with this. 😊

​@@guyboucher9727the doors expose the entire front of the lower compartment. The flip-up door exposes the entire back of the cabinet. As long as you allow airflow, other designs could work as well.

​@@guyboucher9727the hose doesn't bind. It's very stiff like a thick garden hose. The flexible whip on the gun end makes it a little more manageable. Best.

• @markmelville6670
    @markmelville6670 Год назад

Can I ask what exactly was the sandpaper you used? It looked more like a thick abrasive pad....

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  Год назад +1

Hi Mark, they are soft sanding sponges from Woodcraft. Usually 600-800 pads work well between coats. Then I wet sand the final coat with 1000-1200 grit pads. They feel even finer than comparable sandpaper. The fine 1000-1200 aren't much coarser than a brown paper bag. Best of luck!

• @timgarwick1275

I am new to using a fuji sprayer to apply my finishes and have found your video very helpful. Just curious what size measuring cup you are using. I saw you used 5 cups of finish and then I guess 1/2 of the cup with thinner for your mix. thanks for the help!

Hi Tim, I think it's a 1/2 cup measuring cup (might be 2/3 cup). I usually thin more on the first coat, and thin less on the second coat to build up a finish. Of course read the instructions on the topcoat your using, but pre-cat lacquer is pretty forgiving to spray.
      Best

• @timgarwick1275

Thank you

• @timgarwick1275

I have two more questions for you. I noticed that after you sprayed the backs of your pieces you placed them on top of the pyramids. Doesn't that leave a mark on them since they are not dry? The other question I have is where did you get the strainer you used for your lacquer? Thanks

@TheThoughtfulWoodworker  2 года назад

@@timgarwick1275 I always flip cabinet doors wet, and have never noticed any issues. Make sure you don't scuff sand panels on pyramids though, as that will dent them.
      The strainer came in a kit from Fuji, and I haven't been able to find them again. I use typical strainers from Woodcraft now.
      Best

• @spkendrick
    @spkendrick 2 года назад

U recommend 1.0 size tip for conversion varnish topcoats also???

I've never sprayed conversion varnish with this gun. Generally, it likes 1 size smaller tip than a compressor driven gun.
      So if I use a 1.4mm tip on my compressor gun, I'll use a 1.0mm on the Q5 gun.
      Best

• @spkendrick
      @spkendrick 2 года назад

@@TheThoughtfulWoodworker thank you for your reply. I’m using a q4 fuji . With the factory tip 1.3 tip. I think I’m going to try 1.0 tip.