MAXXFAN Dome for Camper Vans: Review and Tutorial how to Install this Exhaust Fan in our Mercedes T1

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 3 июл 2021
  • In this tutorial you learn how to install a Maxxfan Dome Exhaust Fan in our Mercedes 310 T1 Camper Van. What tools you need, how to cut a hole in the roof, what kind of sealant to use and what mistakes you better avoid. I also test the exact consumption of electricity, so you will know how many amps the fan needs.
    Products used (Amazon affiliate links)*
    MaxxFan Dome Plus Exhaust Fan / Lüfter
    amzn.to/3ycFjHR (Amazon Deutschland)
    amzn.to/3wciyUc (Amazon UK)
    Sikaflex 521 UV Sealant / Dichtstoff
    amzn.to/3xuOpNQ (Amazon Deutschland)
    amzn.to/3jU9ZaR (Amazon UK)
    * As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
  • Авто/МотоАвто/Мото

Комментарии • 90

• @my67falcon
    @my67falcon 4 месяца назад +1

I'm madly in love with that van. Way cooler than stuff here in the states.

• @ourbluedemon3604
    @ourbluedemon3604 Год назад

This was just the video I was looking for! Thanks for posting!

• @ladykatiecrafts
    @ladykatiecrafts 2 месяца назад

I love how you explain how to do the work! Thank you

• @yookalaylee2289
    @yookalaylee2289 Год назад +3

You need an "arbored hole saw" to do this project. It has a drill bit in the center of the hole saw that guides it. If the material is too thick, you can cut from both sides because the drill bit re centers the saw.

• @adam091080
    @adam091080 Год назад

thank you for the demonstration!

• @MaxGolden
    @MaxGolden Месяц назад

If the sikaflex is a mess you are doing it right. ❤

• @emiliabunko4518
    @emiliabunko4518 2 года назад

Good vid, thanks!

• @2SHIPSHAW
    @2SHIPSHAW 2 года назад +3

I have the same fan and I should install next week. I did make some test. I put a rheostat
    in line and I could lower the speed so it is almost silent, using .3 amp. good for night sleep. I also test the fan reversing the polarity and it works perfectly sucking air in. My plans are to install a reverse switch to have it runnig two ways and of course, a rheostat. Thanks for your video.

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  2 года назад +4

Hi Richard, I also tested reversing polarity before installing and it did not suck air in. Reversing polarity resulted in the fan turning the other way round (like expected), but the stupid shape of the blades results in the same way of the air flow to outside, not to inside. Cheers, Mike

• @darekcituk491
    @darekcituk491 2 месяца назад

great job!

• @dropOut1982
    @dropOut1982 2 года назад

Very nice Vario👍🏼

• @niklashopfgartner3803
    @niklashopfgartner3803 3 года назад +1

The van looks so great, you did a very well job!
    Looking forward to the video why you think that this model is the perfect camper van. ;)

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  3 года назад

Hi Niklas, auf meiner Liste mit den Vorteilen des T1 stehen schon 10 Punkte... kommen dann alle im ausführlichen "Review" Video ;)

• @niklashopfgartner3803
      @niklashopfgartner3803 3 года назад

@@CubeofCars Das klingt schon mal sehr gut! :) Überleg mir nämlich auch einen anzuschaffen… wobei… ich wart nur mehr darauf den richtigen zu finden. ;)

• @CubeofCars

Dann viel Erfolg bei der Suche! Und gib gerne Bescheid, wenn's geklappt hat :)

• @gilberteccles1164
    @gilberteccles1164 Год назад

Thank you for taking the time to make these videos, so helpful! Please could you let me know if you can use these fans whilst you are driving the vehicle?

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  Год назад +1

Probably yes, but I wouldn't want to do it regularly, because wind pressure might stress the plastic material and also the sealant. So it might cause problems in the long run.

• @pavel9652
    @pavel9652 Год назад +1

Great van! Car looks great, but I see some stylish design choices ;) I am considering installing two of these fans on the back, under lifted solar panel. I will have so many panels there will be no space left on the roof ;)

• @Next72Hours
    @Next72Hours 2 года назад

Echt super

• @joecavendish5235
    @joecavendish5235 2 года назад +3

Great video, very helpful.
    Have you had time to test them out yet? Do the two of them perform well together to ventilate the whole van?

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  2 года назад +2

Hi Joe, as soon as the van is finished, I will test them under real travel conditions and make a video...

• @joecavendish5235
      @joecavendish5235 2 года назад +1

@@CubeofCars looking forward to that. I'm also considering buying 2, with the option for a third.

• @JimiHendrix87
      @JimiHendrix87 2 года назад +1

Same here. Are two of the fans a good choice? Thanks for your answer

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  2 года назад +1

@@JimiHendrix87 One of our fans is for the toilet room, the other one for the main room above the kitchen cabinet. That's the main reason why we needed two of them.

• @liamwarring4054
    @liamwarring4054 2 года назад

Looks amazing! Just wondering if the speed is adjustable to reduce sound?

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  2 года назад

It's just a simple on and off without possibility to adjust the speed. Not sure, if it would be possible to custom build your own speed regulator.

• @LeopoldoManuelRamirezMena
    @LeopoldoManuelRamirezMena 6 месяцев назад

😮huge round cutter! But it looks like the Wood ones, i havent seen those for steel

• @nicksonsbikeski440
    @nicksonsbikeski440 2 года назад +2

That size of hole saw on that type of drill is a wrist breaker.

• @reecetas7196
    @reecetas7196 2 года назад

Love that van!! Hey, important question...is that a gutter mount roof rack? If so, where did you get those long gutter mount arms? How long are they? 12"? 18"? Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!

• @CubeofCars

Yes, mounted in the gutter. I bought them from a Polish manufacturer. Here is the video with all details and you can find the link to the company in the description.
      ruclips.net/video/1O5NiLlnJL4/видео.html

• @Aspecto5
    @Aspecto5 2 года назад +1

You need to use less rpm and cutting oil when doing steel.

• @DarrenJHR
    @DarrenJHR 2 года назад

Hi, great video, I'm looking to get one of these for my shower area, just a quick question, can the fan still be used when in the closed position, or must you open it in order for air to escape? Thanks.

• @CubeofCars

Hi! You have to open it. In closed position the fan would not have any effect.

• @totalcomposites484
    @totalcomposites484 2 года назад

Gutes video danke. Frage: Ich habe den selben Lüfter in unserem Wohnwagen verbaut... Ich habe der Dichtung des Deckels nicht richt getraut und habe den Lüfter in der Seitenwand anstatt auf dem Dach verbaut. Wie sind deine Erfahrungen mit dem Lüfter auf dem Dach? Kommt da Regenwasser rein? Wie steht es mit Fahrtwind? Danke!

• @CubeofCars

Der Van stand den ganzen Sommer über im Regen und es ist absolut nichts reingelaufen. Ich denke, solange man die Teile mit der richtigen Dichtmasse sauber einbaut, sind sie auch absolut dicht. Beim Fahren konnte ich auch noch keine Probleme feststellen, aber wir waren bislang noch nicht auf "großer" Tour...

• @EcoGreensFarm
    @EcoGreensFarm Год назад

Great work! Are you available to help us find a 407D for export? Thanks and Love from Oregon!

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  Год назад

I can't help, but I would recommend to check mobile.de

• @stephanelaberge7633
    @stephanelaberge7633 2 года назад +1

Did you have the spec for the height ? close and open. I got a rack with a SUP so i need to open when the SUP is in the roof THK

• @CubeofCars

It's about 7cm high when closed and 10cm when open.

• @greatcesarsghost
    @greatcesarsghost Год назад

Do these have a forward and reverse or just forward you know for sucking in air or can you also use it to expel air

• @CubeofCars

Unfortunately only one way out.

• @inhertrax9612
    @inhertrax9612 Год назад

If i am not wrong you can reverse the wiring and it can suck air in as well.

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  Год назад

No, it doesn't work. I tried it. Reversing the wiring does change the way the blades run, but that still doesn't change the air flow because of a very strange design of the blades.

• @joycelynch4279
    @joycelynch4279 2 года назад +3

Hi guys, at this point it’s been a year since your Maxxair dome installation. What are your thoughts/feelings about your choice?
    We have a Maxxair deluxe in our 1959 Airstream and we love it. With our new project - a 144 Sprinter van, our boats on the roof don’t allow for the deluxe fan. The dome fan size would be perfect - but I am concerned I won’t be happy with the amount of air they will pull through the windows.
    What do you think?

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  2 года назад +6

It's surely less air than the big one, but for a small van it's ok. I see two disadvantages of my fan. First, I would like to have it operate in both ways, in and out, which it doesn't. And second, it could be more quiet for night time.

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  Год назад +2

@U Wot Not sure, if that works. But it's a good idea. Maybe I will try that and see what happens...

• @procatprocat9647
      @procatprocat9647 Год назад +2

​@@CubeofCars add a pwm controller. Very simple

• @chuckboulware7427
      @chuckboulware7427 Год назад +2

just wire a reversiing switch that reverses the polarity of the wires, and it will run the other way.

• @LeopoldoManuelRamirezMena
      @LeopoldoManuelRamirezMena 6 месяцев назад

But how are the blades shaped?

• @frederickeller1436
    @frederickeller1436 3 года назад

Danke für das Video! Wie groß ist denn der Durchmesser für das Loch, welches ins Dach muss? Ich finde da nicht wirklich was zu... Also mit anderen Worten welchen Durchmesser hat die Lochsäge, welche du zuerst versucht hast zu verwenden :).
    Danke!

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  3 года назад +1

16cm habe ich für das Loch verwendet, notfalls würden vielleicht auch 15,5cm reichen. Der Lüfter selbst ist 15cm, aber seitwärts kommen die Kabel raus und müssen mit durch und zu eng hat auch keinen Vorteil :)

• @frederickeller1436
      @frederickeller1436 3 года назад

@@CubeofCars vielen Dank!

• @lilith761
    @lilith761 2 года назад +3

What is the height of the fan on the roof when in use? I want to install one in my van but I have a roof box and so it needs to fit underneath

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  2 года назад +5

Hi Lilith, it's 10 cm high when open.

• @lilith761
      @lilith761 2 года назад +1

@@CubeofCars thank you.🥰

• @TomE007
      @TomE007 2 года назад

@@lilith761 in the UK Bowers Online has a great stealth fan . for me it was much better because I have a roof rack and tent on top . Or look into GNC systems Holland for europe .

• @Tahoematt
    @Tahoematt 2 года назад +1

How high above the roof does it stick up when closed and opened?

• @CubeofCars

It's 10 cm high when open.

• @grumpygrandpa3640
    @grumpygrandpa3640 2 года назад +2

With these on the roof can you use them when it’s raining without water getting in ?

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  2 года назад +4

Yes. Normal rain is no problem.

• @paul2241xx
      @paul2241xx 3 месяца назад

Are they quiet ?

• @citroen-fe3qq
    @citroen-fe3qq 6 месяцев назад

hi Could you tell me the external diameter of the fan housing for the outside - i have a flat area and need to see it it would fit on this area Thanks

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  6 месяцев назад

You need a flat area of at least 21.6cm

• @DIYCamoGuy
    @DIYCamoGuy 2 года назад

Where did you find the led light ring for the fan?

• @CubeofCars

Maxxfan has one version with LED and one without. The version with LED is called Dome "Plus".

• @duncansarmy
    @duncansarmy 3 года назад +2

Could you reverse polarity for it to suck air in?

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  3 года назад +9

That was also my first idea, but it doesn't work. Changing polarity does change the direction of the fan rotor, but unfortunately this does have no effect on the direction of the air flow, due to the shape of the rotor blades. They always move air away from the centre and thus outside.

• @hasilein413
      @hasilein413 2 года назад

@@CubeofCars Sehr gut - ich wollte sicher sein, dass es ein Ablüfter ist :-D geeee-kauft!

• @mrchrisknight315
      @mrchrisknight315 2 года назад

Yep I thought I could do that, bit yes the design of the blades always exhausts. I wonder if a replacement Blade to a traditional design can work?

• @always.watching.
    @always.watching. Год назад

Is that enough to prevent mold? So i wouldn't have to use a big fan?

• @CubeofCars

I don't think it's possible to answer your question in general. Depends where you travel, how you travel, how much moisture you bring into the van. My other van, a Ford Transit, doesn't have any fan, but I still had no mold while travelling in summer in Europe. And during rainy saison in tropical Thailand everything will get mold, no matter how many fans you install.

• @lukaskogl7764
    @lukaskogl7764 3 года назад

Wie groß bist du denn bzw. wie ist denn die Standhöhe im Innenraum?
    Freu mich auf die nächsten Episoden :)

• @CubeofCars

Hi Lukas, der Innenraum ist genau 183cm hoch, aber da gehen dann noch Decke und Boden weg. Bei mir werden das jeweils 3cm sein, so dass dann 177cm übrig bleiben.... Ich werde den Benz bei Gelegenheit in einem Video mal ausführlich mit allen technischen Daten vorstellen. LG, Mike :)

• @christianbrandtner2164
    @christianbrandtner2164 2 года назад

Hi, kannst du mir mitteilen wie hoch der Lüfter außen über die Karosserie schaut,… wenn er geöffnet ist und geschlossen ist? DAnke dir

• @CubeofCars

Hallo Christian, das sind etwa 7cm geschlossen und 10cm geöffnet.

• @nimshad
    @nimshad 10 месяцев назад

What size was the hole saw? I am planning to install the fan but not sure the exact diameter of the hole

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  10 месяцев назад +1

The size of the MaxxFan is 15cm. I cut a 16cm hole, maybe 15,5cm would be enough, but there are cables at the side which have to go through the hole, so too narrow isn't an advantage.

• @nimshad
      @nimshad 10 месяцев назад

@@CubeofCars cheers, i've ordered a 16cm holesaw :)

• @functionalvanconversion4284
    @functionalvanconversion4284 Год назад +1

Can this run in the rain?

• @CubeofCars
      @CubeofCars  Год назад +2

Yes as long as the rain is straight down.

• @Patronologe
    @Patronologe Год назад

Hast du die Blaulichter schwarz lackiert oder ist das ein Überzug?

• @CubeofCars

Die sind schwarz lackiert...

• @nervmichnichdigga
    @nervmichnichdigga Год назад

Wie hast du denn dieses Kennzeichen bekommen... die 88 ist sonst eigentlich nicht zu bekommen...

• @CubeofCars

Ich habe erst im Nachhinein erfahren, dass man da auch etwas anderes hineininterpretieren kann als das Baujahr meines T1.... Bei der Zulassungsstelle gab es damals keinen Kommentar, also gibt es wohl kein blacklisting in Bayern...

• @alexdelarge8716
    @alexdelarge8716 2 года назад

Schickes Gefährt! Mein Sohn würde richtig auf die Feuerwehr abgehen ;)
    Wurde der Lüfter beim TÜV bemängelt bzw. gibt's ne ABE oder irgendeine Kennzeichnung?
    Cheers, Alex

• @CubeofCars

ABE hat der Lüfter m.W. nicht. Ich hoffe mal, dass es zukünftig keine Probleme beim TÜV gibt. Falls doch, würde ich dann aber in einem Video darüber berichten.

• @klaus5910
    @klaus5910 2 года назад

Danke für's Vid. Aber echt laut die Teile :(

• @CubeofCars

Der Praxistest beim Schlafen steht noch aus.... mal sehen, ob uns das Geräusch dann stört...

• @craigbrowning9448
    @craigbrowning9448 Год назад

Let me guess about the second fan it's for the smell of "Scheisse?"