VINTAGE LENSES: Cue New Obsession! (Feat. Fujifilm X-T4)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 5 мар 2021
  • Why I love shooting with vintage lenses on my Fujifilm X-T4: Sharing my thoughts on the Minolta MC Tele Rocker 100mm f/2.5 and Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4. Also, how I think they hold up for street photography.
    // INSTAGRAM: / iamkristinlehrer
    // PINTEREST: / iamkristinlehrer
    // ALL MUSIC by EpidemicSound.com
    // WHAT I USED TO SHOOT THIS VIDEO
    - CAMERA: Fujifilm X-T4: amzn.to/2N5Wl5R
    - LENS: Fujinon 16-55mm f2.8: amzn.to/3qkQfxg
    - MAIN LIGHT: Godox SL-60W LED Light: amzn.to/3sGHJun
    - Neewer 36" Softbox (to diffuse Godox light): amzn.to/3nSOe9x
    - MIC: Shure VP83 LensHopper Condenser Mic: amzn.to/35QSoZr
    // VINTAGE LENSES
    - Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 100mm f/2.5
    More about this lens: phillipreeve.net/blog/minolta...
    - Minolta MD 50mm f/1.4
    phillipreeve.net/blog/review-...
    - Adapter Ring: Fotasy MD-FX
    amzn.to/3kLdkr6
    // VINTAGE LENS RUclips CHANNELS
    - Zenography: / @zenography7923
    - Mark Holtze: / element1108
    - Sierra Creative on Minolta Vintage Lenses: • 3 Must Have Lenses und...

Комментарии • 172

• @caldera878
    @caldera878 3 года назад +42

The addiction is *REAL.* I have over 100 vintage lenses now with no signs of stopping.

• @powerof100
      @powerof100 2 года назад +2

牛逼!罗马人羡慕了,我也想买这么多

• @cymbaline87
    @cymbaline87 3 года назад +15

Being a Fuji user, I love how it handles Nikkor and Takumar (Pentax) lenses, the colors are just amazing. Besides the build quality is top notch. They are among the best vintage lenses out there. My favourites are the Nikkor 28mm 2.8 Ais, 55mm 2.8 micro Ais, 105mm 2.5 Ais and the Takumar 50mm 1.4 (I own the 8 element version but the 7 element versions are awesome too). Btw, I have to let you know that some of those lenses like the takumar 50mm 1.4 are radioactive, due to thorium being used to make the glass a little better. Is not dangerous unless you lick it or rub it against your eyes lol. I wouldn't let a radioactive lens permanently on my camera because it would end up damaging the sensor, but you can use it as much as you want though.

• @loui.e0241
      @loui.e0241 Год назад

yeah for the lense coating not the barrel 😂

• @Steven-bg2lo
    @Steven-bg2lo 3 года назад +6

Vintage lenses and Fuji are such a wonderful way to step back in time for a traditional photographic experience. Fuji's tactile controls and film simulations facilitates a classic photography way of shooting. Creativity is often shaped by the limitations imposed by the tools or the situation. Relearning manual photography develops skills and disciplines of deciding what you want to do before you do it. It is a very different way of being present in the moment of image creation. I see it as valuable skills development both internally of being clear what you want from an image as well as knowing your settings before you put camera to eye. Take focus for instance you can set your focus before from the lens then fine tune with it at your eye. With practice there is a development of intuition and that feeling when you clicked that you know what you captured with out looking back. There are many lost arts with all the automation and fix it afterwards style of modern photography.

• @garrett5517
    @garrett5517 3 года назад +17

if you get enough minolta lenses, I'd highly recommend the metabones minolta to fuji speedbooster. Opens up a whole new range of possibilities!

• @cinesthesia7
    @cinesthesia7 3 года назад +14

I recommend the Nikkor Micro 55mm 3.5 - it's a vintage macro lens. Also, the Helios 44-2 58mm.

• @powerof100
      @powerof100 2 года назад +2

I also have a ai 55 3.5, it's even sharper than my sony zeiss 55 1.8 za

• @Josh-iw2xr
    @Josh-iw2xr 3 года назад +5

If you’re using vintage lenses on Fuji, no matter the brand of lens, definitely use a speed booster adapter. Shrinking the full frame image circle to a crop circle converts your f1.4 lens to a f1.0 and your focal length ends up being the equivalent of whatever it was meant to be on film (i.e. a 50mm lens actually looks like 50mm and not 75mm)

• @malcolmevans2304
    @malcolmevans2304 3 года назад +2

Glad you took the plunge, loved your review and the results you're getting from your vintage glass. Sure have done it now there's no going back :)

• @Lifethrufujifilm
    @Lifethrufujifilm 9 месяцев назад

Oh, the beauty of love and vintage lenses! They truly add a unique touch to my photography. Lately, I've been captivated by the amazing Helios lens. It has easily become a personal favorite in my collection.

• @levunit2265
    @levunit2265 Год назад

Brilliant video, and a stunning self portrait.

• @atwistedlens
    @atwistedlens 2 года назад +3

I started playing with vintage lenses in 2020 and I agree they are hard to give up. They stay on my xpro2 90% of the time. I did a video about breathing life into vintage lenses since I enjoy them so much.

• @laurapeter3857
    @laurapeter3857 Год назад +1

My alternative to Fuji’s 90mm f2 is the Nikkor AI 105mm f2.5 + a speedbooster. ❤

• @SlotCarNewsOfficial
    @SlotCarNewsOfficial 3 года назад +2

I'm enjoying your videos. I have a few vintage lenses too, I like the handling on them and I like the look they give too.

• @JaredTremper
    @JaredTremper 3 года назад +8

Minolta lenses are amazing. Check out the low cost Minolta MD 45mm F2. Tiny pancake lens many consider one of Minolta’s sharpest lenses. Could be great with your crop for street shooting. Your adapter shouldn’t affect focal length. Only your crop will do that. My wife and I both shoot with many vintage lenses. Enjoy!

• @acecreates
    @acecreates 3 года назад +1

I've just got a konica for my x-t1... love it!
    Great video!

• @christopherbgriffith
    @christopherbgriffith 3 года назад +2

You got the MD 50 1.4! Awesome sauce. 😊

• @markturner7910
    @markturner7910 3 года назад +2

Another great video , I started street photography myself a few years ago , I started shooting with a Leica m , I know talk about cliché, street photography and Leica 🤣 , but I've started using a 1956 50mm Jupiter 8 lens and I love it , it's my favourite lens

• @ozbaz99
    @ozbaz99 3 года назад +1

A great suggestion to use vintage lenses to check out a given focal length.

• @joseluisgarrido6945
    @joseluisgarrido6945 3 года назад +2

Uma pena ter só estes poucos vídeos. São muito fixe. Após ver este fiquei com vontade de experimentar lentes vintage.

• @kylekrulikowski2588
    @kylekrulikowski2588 3 года назад +3

I have the Minolta 50, has given me some of my favorite images I've captured so far with my xt30! its an amazing portrait lens

• @Lifethrufujifilm
      @Lifethrufujifilm 9 месяцев назад

This something I need to try out. I always look different lens. Try out.

• @ScottJWaldron
    @ScottJWaldron 3 года назад +1

Nice video! I'd be curious to see details on the other focus assist modes in advanced Fujifilm cameras. I picked up a X-A7 recently but it only has zoom-in and peaking.

• @Ekirea
    @Ekirea 2 года назад

Very inspirational, thanks!

• @testxxxx123
    @testxxxx123 2 месяца назад

vintage lens is affordable and so much FUN to experiment with

• @christopherbgriffith
    @christopherbgriffith 3 года назад

I’m sure others have mentioned this already, but there’s a wide swath of vintage lenses for the M42 mount, like the famous Helios 44 Soviet lens that creates super swirly bokeh under the right conditions. The added bonus to M42 lenses is that the mount is just shallow enough that you can usually adapt them to any camera easily, including DSLRs. To adapt something like a Minolta lens to a Canon DSLR requires an adapter with optics in it to account for the distance between the glass and the sensor. These adapters are usually expensive and do lower overall image quality a bit, sometimes preventing infinity focusing.

• @tubecorr
    @tubecorr 3 года назад +3

Both very nice lenses! I would highly recommend trying them out on a film camera too.

• @millionjourneysfinance
    @millionjourneysfinance 3 года назад

I started with a Jupiter lens and now I have a Helios and Industar on the way. None were over $70 and one was taken from a packed up camera that was never used so essentially new in box, or as new as a decades old lens can be I suppose. I find that when people want you to take their pictures for memories rather than for commercial use, they value the "look" a vintage lens gives more than the technical details. They are not pixel peeping and they care more about the "cool swirly background stuff" and beautiful colors than any slight chromatic aberrations or that there's a little softness at 400x. You're giving them something they can't get from a phone camera or a modern lens, it's unique and special and they really appreciate it.

• @fistfulloflenses
    @fistfulloflenses 2 месяца назад

Totally agree, I've been bitten by the vintage lens bug, and yes it's becoming a obsession, a lot of fun though 😊

• @ClemsonJohnson
    @ClemsonJohnson Год назад

I love using old Minolta lenses on my Fujifilm as well.

• @Gadgetsu
    @Gadgetsu 3 года назад

Vintage lenses!!! That’s actually a good idea! Trying out focal lengths with vintage lenses! WOW these are OLD!!! They held up so well!!! I gotta try manual focus shooting when I have time!!! Awesome video Kristin!!! 😁

• @MrCameraJunkie
    @MrCameraJunkie 3 года назад +1

Totally Smitten with my Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4 (1969) Great Video. 😀

• @nekoneko917
    @nekoneko917 3 года назад

your videos are so fun!

• @mosswareproaudio6328
    @mosswareproaudio6328 8 месяцев назад +1

I like the Olympus lenses because of their color rendering. Currently the Olympus OM-System G.Zuiko Auto-S 55mm f1.2 1974 Radioactive 3389 CPM lens has my interest for product photography. I like the Super Takumar. I have one. I really like the Mamiya Sekor C 645 lenses, but used without a booster on a Sony A7Rii. I find using just the inside area of the glass is very interesting. Other lenses I like, the 1966 Jupiter 9 with Lilac lens coating. Also, the Auto Rikenon 55mm f1.4 radioactive or not. I have 38 vintage lenses... at this point tonight. Oh, I have and like old Fuginon lenses.

• @tomislavmiletic_
    @tomislavmiletic_ 3 года назад

You should try speedboster (focal reducer) adapter with glass elements out for your vintage lenses on your Fuji camera; those adapters retain the original angle of view and as a bonus you get an extra stop of light. While a bit heavier (added glass elements) those adapters are usually a bit shorter than the plain ones.

• @edmundhattingh1904
    @edmundhattingh1904 4 месяца назад

M42 mounts are for the win! There is soooo many obscure pieces of glass that generate cool results! Good luck if you want one for anything that revolves around fast or irratic moving subjects 😅

• @RostykMakushak
    @RostykMakushak 3 года назад +2

Oh... poor you! You got the VLV - vintage lens virus :) Welcome to the club 😄 I started collecting vintage lenses a few years ago. And as I’m writing this - I bought two just this week. By the way - great videos! And for a change it’s nice to see on RUclips not only male photographers creating YT content.

• @ftk-alt
    @ftk-alt 2 года назад

the minolta 50mm MD 1.4 is the MD III or NMD. i use this on my fuji as well. i would say this is 1 of the best vintage lenses out there. it has nice colour contrast, sharpness and its small size as well. i also got this lens at a very low price.

• @fandalk
    @fandalk 3 года назад +2

I love your videos. I miss Minolta cameras so much.

• @TheBlkraven74
      @TheBlkraven74 3 года назад

Me too. Back i the film days, I was a Minolta shooter. Loved their camera and lenses.

• @daanvanw1661
    @daanvanw1661 3 года назад

YES! Exactly the reason I bought the X-T1 (mum's the word about the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 and the TT Artisans 35mm f/1.4 (at least it's manual focus) I since bought). Love using these M42 lenses. A few of them have their aperture stuck, but hey, I like the challenge of shooting moving kids on a 50mm on f/1.8.

• @kristin5116
      @kristin5116  3 года назад

Hey, they imperfections are what give them and your photos extra character! 😄

• @daanvanw1661
      @daanvanw1661 3 года назад

@@kristin5116 Ghehe. Yes, of course. And then convert them to black and white, to turn ‘welp, that’s blurry’ into ‘ah yes, look at that extra character.’

• @chrisinnes4706
    @chrisinnes4706 3 года назад

And the thing about vintage lenses, if it doesn't work for you, sell it again, it will hold its value.
    A lens you should try is one of the Helios 44 variants.
    My personal current favourite is the porst colour reflex 50mm 1.6 though I had trouble getting an adaptor for it.
    Olympus zuiko lenses are generally small built for their size with a nice backs blur.
    On my wish list is a Carl Zeiss pancolar.
    Loved your video 😃

• @gabmilitao
    @gabmilitao 3 года назад

I shoot Panasonic Lumix (micro four thirds) and that is a garden for adapters and vintage lenses. The ones that I use the most are the Helios 58mm f2 and the Olympus M.Zuiko 28mm. The background blur is totally different from modern lenses, just like your Minoltas.

• @russellgtw
    @russellgtw 3 года назад +5

You gotta look into Canon fd ssc lenses and pentax super takumar 50mm 1.4😍

• @aidanhowgate5437
    @aidanhowgate5437 3 года назад +1

See if you can find a focal reducer, it's invaluable and gives you more light too!

• @richalexanderphotography
    @richalexanderphotography 3 года назад

Hey Kristin, really nice lenses and photos! The 50mm 1.4 in particular looks lovely. I'd really recommend looking into some vintage zoom lenses, I picked up a Sigma 28-105mm 2.8-4 last year and it really opens up your compositions, especially considering what you said about liking the 100mm but it feeling bit too close at times. Very versatile and was super cheap too (like £40 on Ebay for a good condition one)

• @ToothlessSnakeable
    @ToothlessSnakeable 3 года назад +1

If you want some awesome swirl bokeh then you want the Helios 44-2 58mm F/2 now that has a crazy amount of character. I got mine for 45 in great condition.

• @kaid3566
    @kaid3566 3 года назад +1

Great video! Pro tip: you can try out different focal lengths with a zoom, even a cheap one.

• @martingreenberg870
    @martingreenberg870 3 года назад +1

Kristin:
    You sound so excited about your new purchases. Congratulations.
    I’m not saying you have GAS. Recently you’ve shared several purchases you’ve made. Generally(not always) I purchase things to meet a need. I recently purchased three of the crons (23,35,50). I do street and as you pointed out, streerees are drawn to wide angle glass. I just purchased a GRiii. The 18 on that body = 28 in full frame equivalent value. To tell you the truth, that may be too wide for me. Going to take it out on the street and see. Can always Craigslist it.
    I have the Fuji 55-200 lens. I don’t use it very much. That is the Universe telling me to transform it to ca$h maybe. I’m not a collector but tend not to sell my gear. I know the XT4 has tools to help you manually focus. So have fun with your lenses. The 50 was purchased by me for two reasons. First, when I go out on the street, I look for what the street is offering me. Usually, for me, that is people. People being people. People doing interesting things. Interesting looking people. I try not to be restricted by these gifts. There is beautiful light. There are interesting looking objects like sculpture built into buildings. That is where the long lens shines for me.
    I have mentioned Kevin Mullins to you. An inspiration for me. A street photographer I’m not inspired by. His wedding photography is breathtaking. Candid. B&W. Natural light. He is like a street photographer let loose at a wedding. He is a Fuji ambassador or whatever Fuji calls their promoters. His weapons of choice are the 23 and 56. Two lenses. Two bodies. His bodies are XPRO. He does some video clips but not enough to stay with the XT4. So not only am I using his focal lengths, I’ve added the 35 as I like the 50 mm focal length. I just purchased an XPRO3.so I too have been purchasing gear.
    I know many Fuji users use vintage lenses. Some use Leica lenses. I don’t feel the call for vintage lenses. I like the ability to autofocus. I wear glasses and that makes things easier for me. Of course, I could always stop down the lens so autofocus isn’t that important. There is a Fuji based RUclips personality, Ken, I watch. He brags about his lens collection. He is a recovering Nikon shooter. Maybe a lens whore. Not my thing but whatever blows your dress up.
    I’m glad the two new lenses you purchased makes you happy. My crystal balls sees more manual focus lenses in your future. Not for me. I also don’t see longer lenses in my future. They don’t fit into my conception of street photography. I am not going to do portraits so the long lenses are not tools I’m interested in. If I see someone or something I want to capture from across the street, I focus with my feet.
    Please continue showing us your captures. I always find that interesting. Off point but maybe interesting. Was watching a RUclips done a GoPro. The purpose was to show us how he worked the streets. That was interesting. On the other hand, he showed us some of his images. He was saying how pleased he was with some of those images. I didn’t appreciate his images. Of course, when I walk the street, I’m maybe happy with 2% of my images. The other 98% aren’t shared with the public. Maybe I shouldn’t shoot that much. Here is a thought I’ve heard expressed. One difference between an amateur and professional is the later only share their good images.
    Looking forward to your next video.
    Mask on Nurse Marty

• @chrisinnes4706
    @chrisinnes4706 3 года назад

And tying in with this, sort of lol, check out Fuji x weekly blog and in particular their film simulations. I've currently got Kodak Porta 400 and Kodak Tri-X 400 on my camera and love them.

• @G.A.Visuals
    @G.A.Visuals 3 года назад +1

yep use vintage lenses on my Sony A7ii/A7iii and my Fujifilm X-T1.... love them!

• @acecreates
      @acecreates 3 года назад

What lenses have you used on your x-t1?

• @G.A.Visuals
      @G.A.Visuals 2 года назад +1

@@acecreates i have use Olympus G.Zuiko 35mm f2.8 OM, Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8, old JCPenny 135mm f2.8.

• @acecreates
      @acecreates 2 года назад +1

@@G.A.Visuals oh that's fantastic!

• @ErraticBuddha
    @ErraticBuddha 2 года назад

Takumar 50mm f4 macro....yes it's f4 but super sharp with creamy backgrounds when shooting close up. Carl zeiss 35mm flecktagon is a crazy amount of lens for the money, these 2 lenses are always in my bag if not already on the camera.

• @daryljohnson9010
    @daryljohnson9010 3 года назад +1

Saul Leiter enjoyed using telephoto glass for his street photography they say. 😀

• @jesusalonso6633
    @jesusalonso6633 3 года назад

Hi, what about ibis with vintage lens in the fujixt4? Could it improve your snaps? Thanks for you answer. I can’t decide between fuji xt1 Or xt4.

• @craigcarlson4022
    @craigcarlson4022 3 года назад

For Canon ef to Fuji folks seem to recommend the fringer adapter. If you give it a try let us know as i also have a bunch of canon ef that i’d hope to adapt.

• @djtruedomination
    @djtruedomination 3 года назад +1

A great alternative to the 90mm Fuji lens is the Viltrox 85mm MK 2. They make great lenses and they are autofocus lenses.

• @kristin5116
      @kristin5116  3 года назад +1

Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard great things about the Viltrox, too!

• @MrAlwaysOnTen
    @MrAlwaysOnTen 3 года назад

GRAB THAT 80mm you need it, great for portraiture and product photography

• @MrMftech
    @MrMftech 3 года назад

Got several Rokkor with my Sony A7II as:
    85mm f2
    58 mm f1.2
    50mm f1.4
    45mm f2
    50mm f3.5 Macro
    100mm f3.5
    24mm f2.8

• @TedNghiem
    @TedNghiem 3 года назад

The 90mm is great. But it is kinda tough focal length to use on a constant basis. So cost per usage is pretty high for it, if your shooting work doesn't require it. But you can find it used for $500ish.

• @YM-qx9ig
    @YM-qx9ig Год назад

Hello, how do you allow the X-T4 to trigger? Thanks a lot

• @illdee04
    @illdee04 3 года назад

Pentacon lenses are very interesting

• @mikelborrega5821
    @mikelborrega5821 3 года назад +1

The problem with cinta lenses is that of of them are different. Is difficult to have a favourite so you always wants a new one! I will recommend a must: the Helios 44-2 58mm f2. And also the Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.2. Magically imperfect. I usually use vintage lenses, you can see more in @photo_mikel (Instagram), thanks for your videos!

• @iamhassan9943
    @iamhassan9943 3 года назад +1

Pentax has great vintage lenses also.

• @matteoenricocattaneo
    @matteoenricocattaneo 3 года назад +1

Kind of disappointing reading the comments...I think none has marked how stunning your pictures are...compositions and overall the color grading you create...inspiring.

• @kristin5116

Thanks for that wonderful compliment, Matteo! 😄

• @mridulkhanna
    @mridulkhanna 3 года назад +1

OMG JOIN THE CLUBB

• @user-ex1wy8hp6d
    @user-ex1wy8hp6d Год назад

Hi i love 100mm f2.5 very good for b&w Photography. But 50mm f1.4 not bad!

• @tiroas
    @tiroas 3 года назад

Hi Kristin, an alternative to the Fuji 90mm is Viltrox's 85mm. Viltrox recently started doing lenses for Fuji, currently they have 4 available and to my knowledge one of three companies that to auto focus lenses for Fuji. (Fuji, Zeiss and Viltrox) They have the following lenses: 23mm, 33mm, 56mm and 85mm. All lenses except the 85mm are ƒ1.4, the 85mm is ƒ1.8. Pices for these lenses range between $300-$400 they are surprisingly sharp for the price, if you're interested, just do a search on RUclips for Viltrox reviews. (You like research LOL)

• @klemenvidic9352
      @klemenvidic9352 3 года назад

Viltrox is nice, but Konica 85mm f1.8 is stellar.

• @sadmanshakib7646
    @sadmanshakib7646 3 года назад +2

You should've gotten a Helios 44-2. It's amazing, it's got that weird swirly bokeh.

• @rolltrollroll
    @rolltrollroll 3 года назад

I have around 50 vintage lenses and most of them are 50-58mm. The best lens on my fuji imho? Minolta MD III 50mm 1.4 - exactly the one you have. Most interesting effect - Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar 75mm 1.5 (or cheaper option 58mm 2.0).
    Next step is the Speedbooster adapter :-)
    Tip: Always focus from infinity. After each shoot set up the lens to infinity.
    With some practice you will sell your AF lenses - in manual I can focus and compose really quick.

• @dashonaubrey1321
    @dashonaubrey1321 2 года назад +1

I have the Minolta 28mm Rokkor-X f2.8 and the Minolta 58mm Rokkor. Both of which are killer when paired up to the Fujifilm X-H1. Give them a try if you can!

• @ElinWinblad
      @ElinWinblad 6 месяцев назад

Which adapter for x mount?

• @retrofilmworx9326
    @retrofilmworx9326 3 года назад

hay Kristin great to see you splashing in the realm of vintage lenses. good choice. What year are those vtg lenses?

• @kristin5116

Thanks! The 100mm is a 1970 make and the 50mm I believe was introduced in 1985 and again in 1990.

• @ToothlessSnakeable
    @ToothlessSnakeable 3 года назад

If you want some nice bubble bokeh for not a whole lot try the Pentax SMC 55mm F1.8 on M42. It’s still around 70 bucks

• @jossbesnier4409
    @jossbesnier4409 Месяц назад

Hi Kristin, i bought the K&F adapter FD to FX lenses last week and résultat with my FD lenses 50mm 1.8 sc 35-105mm 3.5 and 100mm 2.8 are stranges with my x-t5 : i have always bokeh around focus zone even if i close to f8 f11 f16, for portrait IS good but for street or others it is a problem, have an Idea why i have this problem ? Regards

• @boozelala
    @boozelala 3 года назад

If you like "Art"lenses, I can recommend the Helios 44 2, best are the first generations. Verry nice bokey, and you can flip the front element really easy for some bokeh insanity!

• @kornasteniker3939
    @kornasteniker3939 3 года назад

Long live manual focus! I own only one AF lens for my fuji, and that is the XF 14mm with the manual focus clutch. All the other lenses are either modern manual chinese lenses or vintage glass. Btw: Check out Simon's Utak, he specialized in russian and eastern europe vintage lenses, esp. Helios and Zeiss Jena glass.

• @kristin5116

I was seriously considering getting the 14mm - but opted for the 16mm f/2.8 because of its weight/size... the 14mm looks like it takes delicious photos, though. How do you like it? Thanks for the other recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out :)

• @kornasteniker3939

@@kristin5116 I love my 14mm Fujinon. I'm sure the 16mm f2.8 is a great lens too. There are several reasons I got the 14mm over the 16mm f1.4. The 2mm (x1,5 for FF) makes a bigger difference in the viewing angle than it seems. The slightly smaller size and weight compared to the 16mm f1.4 makes it more portable. Over the 16mm f2.8 it imo has the huge advantage of the manual focus clutch (like the 16mm 1.4). Especially useful for astro photography where AF is not really helpful.
      But the biggest pro the 14mm has for me personally is the excellent image quality in infra red photography. It has no IR-hotspot when stopped down unlike the 16mm f1.4 and is sharp almost edge to edge even wide open. :)
      PS: The only disadvantage the 14mm f2.8 has is the lack of weather sealing but I'm ok with that, bc you can't do astro photography or infra red photography when it's raining anyway ;)
      If you don't do IR photography, the 12mm f2 from Rokinon/Samyang would be the better/budget friendly option to get over the 14mm though

• @kristin5116

@@kornasteniker3939 Got it. Thanks for sharing! It really does boil down to our own individual shooting needs, doesn't it. 😄 I'll have to check out the 12mm f2 - love a good wide angle lens! (not that I need anymore 🙈)

• @MultiJaime27
    @MultiJaime27 3 года назад

Get a speed buster adapter to reduce the crop factor

• @BenjaminKanarek
    @BenjaminKanarek 3 года назад

You are ideed smitten...good smitten! ❤️

• @ToothlessSnakeable

I would recommend the Jupiter 37A 135mm F3.5 for Portrait photos it’s insanely good these are easily had for 50-60 dollars with a case in mint condition.

• @kristin5116

Ooh, will do. Thank you!

• @ToothlessSnakeable

@@kristin5116 I went down the vintage rabbit hole and have tried a lot lol

• @ToothlessSnakeable

@@kristin5116 that lens is actually my official telephoto for my X-T20 lol

• @PerryCarbonell
    @PerryCarbonell 3 года назад

I have the pentacon 50 1.8, helios 44 and industar 50 and they all produce unique images.. i wouldn't part with them and they come in highly recommended :)

• @Whatisright
    @Whatisright 2 года назад

If you're interested in more lenses and what they produce then check out the Takumar Pentax forum. They have the most detailed review section ever with sample images and information on each lens iteration, or as best they can manage. Also looking on Flickr because there's always a group dedicated to any given lens.

• @orangekayak78
    @orangekayak78 3 года назад

I am the proud owner of a 50mm f1.8 nikkor, 105mm f2.5 nikkor, 24mm f2.5 vivitar. They have such a good image quality that I refuse to buy fuji lenses with the same focal length. In fact I had them since my Canon time. Welcome to this wonderful world.

• @kristin5116

Nice collection! 👌 I can understand why you wouldn't want any Fujinon crossovers.

• @orangekayak78
      @orangekayak78 3 года назад

@@kristin5116 Oh I still plan to sink a small fortune in fuji lenses. Love your videos.

• @illdee04
    @illdee04 3 года назад

Nice video... @8:10 looks like the shot was taken in a dominican community, i see the flag, its where my family are from. The only vintage lenses i have for my Xt3 are the minolta rokkor 50mm 1.7 and minilta af maxxum 1.7. I like them. I would like to get one or two more vintage lense, the jupiter9 85mm and a takumar. Other than that my next fuji lens will be the 50f2 or maybe the 90f2.

• @kristin5116

Awesome! That photo was taken outside of a Dominican restaurant in Bushwick, Brooklyn! 😄 Great lens collection! I've been eyeing the Jupiter. 👀

• @alexcastelo2113
    @alexcastelo2113 3 года назад

That 100mm sounds like it will produce nice portrait photos with its compression :) now I want to try out some vintage lenses :) and manual focus is fun, it slows the process down... have you tried the Fuji film recipes from the Fuji x weekly website? (I’ve only just recently discovered them), might be a fun combo with those vintage lenses

• @kristin5116

For sure! The bokeh is gorgeous on the 100mm. I haven't had a chance to play with any of the recipes from Fuji x weekly -- hoping to soon! Do you have any favorites?

• @alexcastelo2113
      @alexcastelo2113 3 года назад

@@kristin5116 no favourite as yet, there’s too many to choose from! lol the vids are great btw :)

• @xklvnx
    @xklvnx 3 года назад

Now try projector lens. My favorite 35kp 140mm f1.8 .

• @bburchellphotos
    @bburchellphotos 3 года назад +1

G.A.S is so fun! You get to try out so many nice oldies! I recently just scored a Fujinon 55mm f2.2 from a charity shop. 4 element design that produces "bubble bokeh" :D
    I do love the Takumars though. The focus is so smooth and they're built so well! Plus I love that old design that lenses like Taks & others have. Well... before the rubber grips. haha

• @kornasteniker3939

I own the bubble 55 Fujinon too. nice lens but I prefer the sharper edged Cook Triplet Trioplan bubbles :) In case of the Takumars I totally agree with you, one of the smoothest focusing experiences I had and a pretty nice bokeh too!

• @bburchellphotos
      @bburchellphotos 3 года назад

@@kornasteniker3939 It was an impulse buy! Never expected to see it in a charity shop (online anyway as they're all still closed here) and couldn't resist! Only bubble bokeh lens I have. All the trioplans are expensive now and there are very few available on eBay from the UK. Which is a shame.

• @ToothlessSnakeable

Bubble bokeh on the 55mm f1.8 takumar is insane

• @kornasteniker3939

@@ToothlessSnakeable the 55mm f1.8 has a bubble bokeh? Didn't know that. Which 55 1.8 Takumar exactly do you mean? There are several of them. I own the Super Takumar 55 f2 and this lens def has no bubble bokeh but smooth plane bokeh balls. :)

• @ToothlessSnakeable

@@kornasteniker3939 I’m currently holding in my hand the super multi coated Takumar 55mm f1.8 m42 version. This one is hot so it’s a bit radioactive but my god the colors

• @craig_cunha
    @craig_cunha 3 года назад

Check out the 7artisans and TTartisan lenses. New, inexpensive, well built lenses that range from f0.95 to f2 apertures.

• @michaeljhoffman-statepolic561
    @michaeljhoffman-statepolic561 3 года назад

If you are interested in great examples of longer lens, color street photography, you owe it to yourself to check out the photography of Saul Leiter, and also to watch a interview/documentary about Leiter called "In No Great Hurry", and to purchase a copy of his book simply titled "Early Color". His work has much more of a pictorialist quality than most "straight" street photography. If you check out his work, reply and let me know what you think.

• @_H_2023
    @_H_2023 11 месяцев назад

So the 50mm lens on a Fuji becomes 75mm Portrait. Just be aware of the many R.A lenses; generally if they have pretty rainbow colours on the lens or tend to look brown they are radio active, Some people don't mind them but the ones to be aware of are those that have the rear element thorium glass as it's closer to your eye. Best buying 1950s early 60s lenses. The lenses your showing look thorium, you can find a list of some of the lenses on the internet.

• @jmoss99
    @jmoss99 8 месяцев назад +1

Is it foggie where are... in your room?

• @acmdv
    @acmdv 3 года назад

EF adapters - Fringer EF-FX PROII Auto Focus Mount Adapter, VILTROX EF-FX1 Auto Focus Lens Mount Adapter, Viltrox EF-FX2 Auto Focus Lens Adapter 0.71x Focal Reducer Speed Booster for Canon EF Mount Lens to Fuji X-Mount Mirrorless Camera

• @aZeddPrattFilm
    @aZeddPrattFilm 3 года назад +1

I shoot with Canon FD’s on a XT2 and I would strongly recommend an adaptor that reduces the focal length closer to the original focal length of the lens. You could argue that an adaptor with glass is inferior quality because it affects the lens but I have not seen such a quality drop. If interested I can link you and for examples I’m @azeddprattphoto on insta

• @wh0tube
    @wh0tube 2 года назад

A couple of thousand dollars later, exposure to radioactive material, acquired expertise in fungus removal, and more adapters than I care to count, I think I would have been better off buying a couple of kit zoom lenses like xf18-55 and xc50-230. Then again, that would have been boring! 😀

• @julesfisher3551
    @julesfisher3551 3 года назад

Metabones Speed booster with CONTAX Zeiss 35-70mm F3.5 you will probably never buy another lens combination for Fuji! Equates to 25-50mm F2.8

• @mollyanderson449
    @mollyanderson449 3 года назад

The vintage lens rabbit hole is no joke!!! I started off obsessed with the beautiful Carl Zeiss Jena’s and have now discovered the joys of a Takumar (thanks to Mark Holtze) also check out: Simon’s utak if you’re looking for another great vintage lens channel📷

• @kristin5116

I've been hearing great things about Takumar. And thanks for the other RUclips suggestion. Will definitely check them out! :D

• @markscott4059
    @markscott4059 2 года назад

Try the Minolta MD f1.7…magic lens for less than 50 bucks…. Small and light…

• @greggreaves1727
    @greggreaves1727 3 года назад +1

careful... that rabbit hole goes a long way down!

• @acmdv
    @acmdv 3 года назад

Try a 28mm, 35mm & 135mm.

• @coachschmiede
    @coachschmiede 3 года назад

You either do not understand the hype or you love vintage lenses. Once you crossed the Rubicon you can't go back to a life without these.

• @SlavaVeres
    @SlavaVeres 3 года назад +1

Great video! I’m watching it just after I visited a thrift store an hour ago literally - and I got a vintage lens there just for $9.99! :)

• @kristin5116

Yay!! Thanks so much and have fun with your new vintage lens! 😄

• @PhilippeOrlando
    @PhilippeOrlando 3 года назад

I fell down that same rabbit hole 4 years ago, I bought many vintanges lenses, Canon, Nikkors, and I must say that none can match the kit lenses that came with modern cameras. None are as good as a stupid Lumix 14-42. The contrasts on those vintage lenses is very poor and they can NEVER be used wide open. I have a Nikkor 50 MM AI-S 1.4 and I need to stop it down to 2.8 to get it to start to compete with a modern lens, still the contrast is not as good. Even some supposedly stars, such as the Nikkor 28 mm Ai-s 2.8 can't match a cheap Lumix 25mm 1.7. They are marginally useful for video, but you could also buy manual Rokinons. All my vintage lenses are now gathering dust on a shelf. I've found out that in this culture is something, anything is cheaper than something else there is always a reason. Cars made in the 80s are not better than cars made today, that's the same for washing machines, fridges, bikes and of course for lenses. Spare yourself the worries.

• @musicdreamerish
    @musicdreamerish 2 месяца назад

You have done it now. This is an addictive hobby. Minolta, Canon FD and FDn, Olympus, Konica.... they are wonderful. They render with such character. I love lenses of today as well, but they all have that ultra-clear look, as if you are not looking through glass anymore. The flaws of the older lenses give them charm. They distort in pleasing ways. They glow in pleasing ways. They just have a way of moving you in an artistic way, somehow.

• @MultiJaime27
    @MultiJaime27 3 года назад

The pentacon 50mm f 1.8 just amazing and all the Pentax super takumars, all or most of my street Photography is from vintage lends, check them out in my IG @hijodelpulque ... hellow from Mexico

• @FotosyMas.
    @FotosyMas. 3 года назад +1

Where are you?

• @kristin5116
      @kristin5116  3 года назад +2

I know ... Life. Work. 😝 I’ll be back very soon!! ❤️❤️❤️

• @Snapit551
    @Snapit551 3 года назад +1

Great video! After owning most vintage lenses and manual focus lenses I believe the yashica yashinon 5cm f2 and the Zhongy mitacon 35mm 0.95 are the best manual focusing lenses out there!! Check out simons utak Chanel