Thin Client w/ NIC for VMs and Firewalls HP T740

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 5 авг 2024
  • In our HP T740 Thin Client review, we take a different look at this machine from the lens of Project TinyMiniMicro as a virtualization host
    STH Main Site Article: www.servethehome.com/hp-t740-...
    STH Merch on Spring: the-sth-merch-shop.myteesprin...
    STH Top 5 Weekly Newsletter: eepurl.com/dryM09
    STH Forums: forums.servethehome.com
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Where to Find STH
    STH Forums: forums.servethehome.com
    Follow on Twitter: / servethehome
    Other STH Content Mentioned in this Video
    - HP T740 guide on the STH forums by WANg: forums.servethehome.com/index...
    - HP T740 thread on STH forums: forums.servethehome.com/index...
    - HP T740 thread for the $270 deal: forums.servethehome.com/index...
    - HP T620 Video from 2018: • HP T620 Plus Firewall ...
    - Lenovo M80q Tiny: • Lenovo ThinkCentre M80...
    - Lenovo M90q Tiny: • 10C/20T in 1L Lenovo T...
    - Lenovo IdeaCentre 5i Tiny: • No way! Lenovo IdeaCen...
    - Lenovo ThinkCentre M75q-2 Tiny (Gen 2): • Lenovo ThinkCentre M75...
    - HP EliteDesk 800 G6 Mini: • HP EliteDesk 800 G6 Mi...
    - Dell OptiPlex 7080 Micro: • Dell OptiPlex 7080 Mic...
    - Apple Mac Mini M1 10GbE Edition: • Apple Mac Mini M1 Gets...
    - Project TinyMiniMicro Playlist: • Project TinyMiniMicro
    - Project TinyMiniMicro Catalog: forums.servethehome.com/index...
    Timestamps
    00:00 Introduction
    02:22 External Hardware Overview
    06:34 Internal Hardware Overview
    11:29 HP ThinPro
    12:02 The PCIe Slot of Possibility
    14:56 Performance
    15:47 STH Readers Using for Proxmox VE, VMware, and pfSense
    18:55 Key Lessons Learned
    21:27 More Resources
    21:50 Wrap-up
  • НаукаНаука

Комментарии • 235

• @JonWilliams84
    @JonWilliams84 2 года назад +24

Been running a T730 as a pfsense box for over 12 months without any issues with an Intel quad port nic. Repurposed it recently to a kubernetes node and added a Coral m.2 to the A-E keyed port. It is now a dedicated machine for Frigate, Compreface and Double-Take. Running 4 Cameras with inference times of around 8msec. It has basically become my NVR. Love it.

• @ivanguag
    @ivanguag 2 года назад +1

I just watched this, 1 month ago I had the idea about using a thin client and 4 Gbps NIC card for PFSense and I did it with the hp T620 Plus, of course all 2nd hand, working as a charm. I enjoyed this video, probably in a couple of years I will upgrade to this one. Nice videos and keep them coming, I'm enjoying the Mini Tiny Micro a lot.

• @walteradamsbe
    @walteradamsbe 2 года назад +19

On any Tiny/Mini/Micro video of STH, my first thought is always: "can I run Proxmox on this with pfSense and 5 to 7 extra linux VMs?" The answer is generally "No" but the awesomeness of this video is that the answer is "Yes". Still looking for a replacement of my 6 year-old CompuLab IPC2 units which have 16GB RAM, a Core i7-4600U, 6 x1 Gbps NICs and, get this, run fanless at 15W TDP !!! Yes i can run up to 7 VMs on a unit like this but they are 6 years old now and going critical in terms of MTBF expectations. Still haven't quite found anything like it though.

• @ergosteur
    @ergosteur 2 года назад +30

Been running my pfSense on the T620 Plus with an old dual port Intel NIC since that video. been absolutely solid, fast and silent and a great value. The PCIe slot is huge for running virtualization/networking.
    I did discover that some of the Acer Veriton 1L PCs have an externally accessible PCIe slot as well.

• @therealb888
      @therealb888 2 года назад

How much did you pay for the T620 Plus & the NIC separately? What about the PSU?

• @ergosteur
      @ergosteur 2 года назад +1

@@therealb888 My T620 Plus was 89 USD + 40$ shipping, came complete with 16GB SSD and HP power supply. The NIC was a pull from a recycled server, so that was $0 to me. Mind you all this was in 2017.

• @s8wc3
      @s8wc3 2 года назад +2

The problem with the Acer's is that they won't sell you the riser cage. I've tried to buy it straight from Acer (Australia) and they just won't sell it to you. I've only seen one show up on ebay, ever. And honestly it seems Acer doesn't want to sell me any machines because their website is rubbish

• @therealb888

@@ergosteur Thanks for the detailed response. I was right on my money when I said they were about $90 in another comment. Paying $40 for shipping sucks though, were you in the USA? How far did you have it shipped for getting such a high rate?.
      Lastly the date of 2017 does really help it to put things into perspective.
      Thanks.

• @ergosteur
      @ergosteur 2 года назад

@@therealb888 well, to be fair it was customs duties + shipping not just shipping. Not USA, just Canada.

• @Soruk42
    @Soruk42 2 года назад +3

I've been using a T610 as my broadband router for several years running ClearOS. I cheaped out on my WAN connection using a 100Mbps USB2 ethernet adapter, but as I'm on VDSL with a max speed of 80Mbps (and I get about 40) that has never proved to be a problem. Also, being a Linux box it handles my custom VPN endpoint and my Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel. I got the machine as a freebie from work when they had decommissioned a pile of the things.

• @nikolaosoikonomopoulos2733
    @nikolaosoikonomopoulos2733 2 года назад +3

I have a T620 Plus with Intel quad port nic running pfSense for the last 8 months without an issue, fast , silent controlling 2 unifi switches, 1 nvr with 6 poe cameras, 4 opewrt 20.02 dummy access points. Thanks a lot for your great videos and suggestions.

• @djjackson2200
    @djjackson2200 2 года назад +2

FWIW , is love to see this updated to the new recent 6000 APUs that are coming out soon.

• @lju2fine
    @lju2fine 2 года назад +3

Awesome little machine! As you said, the prices of these things soared high! lol

• @jztpnt
    @jztpnt 2 года назад +21

Full memory encryption is a big plus for ryzen embedded series

• @BearMeat4Dinner
    @BearMeat4Dinner Год назад

I miss thin clients n terminals! The real terminals from the 80s 90s and early 2000s! Patrick great video!

• @paulstubbs7678
    @paulstubbs7678 2 года назад +2

I had a somewhat earlier thin client, it had no internal storage options, it all run via a network boot, unfortunately my NAS etc was not able to satisfy it, it needed a server setup, a setup that also required playing with my ISP provided broadband box. Both these requirement really killed it for me.
    So when I see these thin clients, I usually walk the other way - this changes it....
    I noticed you get the HP thin client software up and booted, it would be nice to see a vid on how to do this.

• @minigpracing3068
    @minigpracing3068 2 года назад +1

The firewall in my home lab is still running on a T620 Plus with 4 port NIC.
    I wonder how well this would work with a PCIe to m.2 SATA card to make a little Truenas box?
    Also wondering how well this would work with XCP-NG for a couple of Windows Server VMs, I'd like to replace the old Dell C1100 in my lab with a lower noise device.

• @jztpnt
    @jztpnt 2 года назад +1

This unit is awesome

• @TheRicosauve
    @TheRicosauve 2 года назад +5

Great video...I would love to see more mini computers with the ability to add a card. Considering this unit is not readily available...what are other options to this one that could be used as a Proxmox server.

• @Bianchi77
    @Bianchi77 2 года назад +1

Vote up, keep it up, thank you for sharing it :)

• @StevePatak
    @StevePatak 2 года назад +1

Wooo! T620 running pfsense is the bomb.

• @herrzettpunkt
    @herrzettpunkt Год назад +1

As the prices of SSDs recently went down I would like to know if the PCIe slot would be capable to take a PCIe NVMe adapter packed with let's say 2x 2TB NVMe's? My goal is to replace my 4TB HDD Synology Diskstation and build a Proxmox Server with FreeNAS or something. Is this possible mit the T740? Or maybe you can direct me to another thin client option?

• @robertcraane7910
    @robertcraane7910 2 года назад +4

I buy these regurlarly for € 129 to € 179. Nice machines, also for emulation, etc... And through my foundation I send them to deprived schools in the Philipines, thanx to some friendly sponsors!

• @Favarjun76
      @Favarjun76 2 года назад

Where do you get these for £129-£179? Ebay currently lists the HP T740 for £600!

• @Faisal1504
    @Faisal1504 Год назад

Thanks will try it out.

• @ewenchan1239
    @ewenchan1239 2 года назад +2

This would be interesting for me to run OpenSM for my externally managed Infiniband switch (rather than using a "full on" rack mounted server).
    I do wonder though, how well it would (or wouldn't) work with the Mellanox ConnectX-4 dual-port 100 Gbps Infiniband NIC that has a TDP of around 16.3 W when you're using passive copper cables though.
    That TDP would be a little concerning.
    If it weren't for that, then this box would be a GREAT little box for this use case.

• @davidtyorke
    @davidtyorke Год назад +1

Maybe time to add a dedicated forum for this kind of "franken-server". There's going to be more and more hardware going into the secondary market that has CPUs with VM extensions and other capabilities great for STH types of applications.

• @Batman-mw1gk
    @Batman-mw1gk 2 года назад

Can I install Graphics card on this particular thin client t740?
    I've tried, but the graphic card way to bigger to fit in it

• @fluffyfloof9267
    @fluffyfloof9267 2 года назад +7

Quite a powerful little machine, and an interesting use case. I'm still in love with my little HPE MicroServer Gen10+ - you've reviewed these as well. It's got an I350-T4 on-board, and i did the least expensive upgrade to i3-9100F. I've got a killer deal on an Intel DC P3700-400 for caching my ZFS pool. It's so cute, and runs my whole home LAN, OPNsense router VM with PCIe pass-through. (I would've preferred PFsense, but it wouldn't handle virtio network IFs …i suspect PFsense requires booting the VM in legacy BIOS mode, but it's too late now [it's fine]) I've recently come across multi-bay USB HDD enclosures, like HBA-over-USB (UASP), of course it's not an actual HBA, but it has topological similarities and sufficient bandwidth. Only the lack of an i350-T4 keeps me from running a NUC. ECC memory as well, that's nice to have.

• @ikkuranus
    @ikkuranus 2 года назад

Can you use (and take advantage of) ECC memory in these machines? I ask because I currently have pfsense on my old microserver g10 and it works well enough but takes up 6u in my rack.

• @tommybronze3451
      @tommybronze3451 2 года назад

yes, you can use ecc ram, but you need to enable it via "modprobe -v amd64_edac ecc_enable_override=1" after bootup.

• @pcislocked
    @pcislocked 2 года назад +15

I love those mini boxes and want to run pfsense on them for all kinds of purposes, but my 50mbps vdsl internet coming to home makes it really hard to justify such effort and invesment.

• @therealb888
      @therealb888 2 года назад +1

50 mbps vdsl? Man that's the irony, those who can afford $300+ on a router are stuck with slow internet but me here is going to have 500mbps sym fiber internet for less than $30 soon.
      How is the reliability of your VDSL? Uptime, speed consistency, QoS, pings & jitter to game servers etc?

• @pcislocked
      @pcislocked 2 года назад

also, qos is non-existent on the provider issued router. also turk telekom doesn't tamper with traffic that much. that's turkcell's job lol (they block wireguard, throttle twitch, block some host providers for some reason... but they also sell 500mbps fiber... with 20mbps upload)
      3rd time posting cuz yt deletes my comment

• @TheAnoniemo
      @TheAnoniemo 2 года назад +1

I'd love to have pfsense and snort the shit out of all traffic going through my internet connection, maybe some day...

• @spiralbrain
    @spiralbrain 2 года назад +9

This thing is a beast, I've been using this as a desktop PC for over 6 months now. The only thing wrong with this is a bug in the cooling fan. Some others have reported this where the fan does not change speed with temperature at times. Pretty minimalistic daily use system.

• @aprilkolwey4779
      @aprilkolwey4779 2 года назад

I've found the fan bug only occurs (for me) on the first boot following a power loss. If I power it off and back on, then it works.

• @spiralbrain
      @spiralbrain 2 года назад

@@aprilkolwey4779 It starts off slow. I cleaned the fans board with isopropyl alcohol and never has the detection issue since. However the speed gets stuck like one in ten times and heating happens. Could you tell me your fan is also made by Delta

• @spiralbrain
      @spiralbrain 2 года назад +1

​@@aprilkolwey4779 The latest bios update has fixed this bug.

• @aprilkolwey4779

@@spiralbrain Yes, I updated mine a month or so ago and it did indeed fix it.

• @atulmalhotra2303
      @atulmalhotra2303 2 года назад

i just need a low to medium specced home PC but I loved the design on these machines. Should I go for T620 ? I am getting one for about 80 dollars here.

• @metalwolf112002
    @metalwolf112002 2 года назад +1

I have a couple hp thin clients of a different model i got from a company getting rid of them for free. One of them i am using for proxmox with my "run as long as possible" vms like nagios and nodered. I have two others running xubuntu with kodi. They actually work pretty well as media center pcs.

• @BrianThomas
    @BrianThomas 2 года назад

I'm so excited. I can't wait till the end of the video. Does it do 10Gibg?

• @foureight84
    @foureight84 2 года назад +5

The Dell Wyze 5070 is also a great deal for pFsense box. I am currently using one as a vm box to host pihole and unbound along with a few other services. Running intel clear linux server os will help you get the most out of it. Another box was loaded with chromeos using brunch and connected to the TV for my mom to use for video chat and youtube viewing. The 4k support on the box is very handy.

• @KisameSempai
      @KisameSempai 11 месяцев назад

Nice how do you navigate thru chromeos on the tv? Using a mouse? Does the interface adapt for tv?

• @randomnoobpt
    @randomnoobpt 2 года назад +3

Indeed an interesting machine for the kind of projects, although it ain't cheap. Here in Europe, these go for 400€-1000€

• @marcogenovesi8570
    @marcogenovesi8570 2 года назад +4

yay! finally a device where you can put a PCIe quad gigabit card

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  2 года назад +2

I know that has been a request. Finally have a good solution.

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang
      @Waaaaaaaaaaaang 2 года назад +1

@@ServeTheHomeVideo well, technically you can do that as well on a Wyse 5070 “big” extended thin client - quad 1GbE isn’t going to saturate the PCIe 2.0x4 link on that machine.
      Oh yeah, how do you pronounce WANg? Is it Wan-G or Wang (like the default computer maker)? Someone should ask that guy…

• @devanshgarg31
    @devanshgarg31 2 года назад +1

Can I use set up a TrueNas server to serve some VM thin clients as workstation computers? Will this prevent me from buying multiple software licenses?

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang
      @Waaaaaaaaaaaang 2 года назад

You need a license on the VM end - the thin client has its own OS and typically come with its own licenses - the cheapest ones are either Linux based or zero clients with limited functionality.

• @showmytime9177
    @showmytime9177 2 года назад +5

Hey STH, what system do you recommend to be used as a router/firewall/dhcp/dns with the following requirements:
    - 2 ports with 10GB SFP+ with GPON support (4+ recommended)
    - 2 port 1Gbps ethernet (4+ recommended)
    - low power (

• @gtn1994
      @gtn1994 2 года назад

Second this!!!

• @eddycolangelo
      @eddycolangelo 2 года назад +4

Cheap is gonna be the real problem, theese days!

• @stevenmishos
      @stevenmishos 2 года назад +4

Netgate 6100 has (2) 10 GbE SFP+ Ports, (2) 1 GbE Combo Ports (RJ45/SFP), and (4) 2.5 Gbps RJ45 Ports

• @therealb888

@@stevenmishos I hope it's better value for money than their low end offerings which are senseless..

• @stevenmishos
      @stevenmishos 2 года назад

@@therealb888 well, it's no SuperServer E302-9D, but it's also much less money :)

• @phrag5944
    @phrag5944 2 года назад +3

since i upgraded to proxmox 7.1-2, i have had ZERO issues with my realtek NIC for production, virtualized proxmox, TrueNAS and shinobi all on one machine currently running like a dream. 10 days uptime since i finished the project
    so that leads me to my question: Why not use the integrated realtek now with other projects if you have the bandwidth?

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  2 года назад +4

Usually the big issue for folks is needing to update drivers (most use stock drivers if the NIC comes up.) Still, I have had enough issues that I just do not trust them. Some are just funky where a traffic pattern brings the Realtek to it knees, even on latest drivers.

• @phrag5944
      @phrag5944 2 года назад +1

@@ServeTheHomeVideo try now! i used to think the same thing, that's why i asked why not try sharing it with new, modern drivers with other VMs and such and see if you run into issues. if not, then you're just being superstitious! :D

• @user-om1dg1sr1l
    @user-om1dg1sr1l 4 месяца назад

I own three T740s. The first one is three years old which I enabled VT-d in he BIOS and it installed Proximal VE using UEFI perfectly. I actually installed a LSI 9300 8 port raid card with IT firmware and used an IcyDock 8 port Express cage to do drive passthrough for a TrueNAS VM. The VMs run great so I bought two more used T740 that still were under warranty, Proxmox hung using UEFI at the install. It did install in Legacy but got "KVM not available" and "BIOS not enabling VT-d" Proxmox will not enable hardware virtualization for the VMs which make the VMs so slow they are useless. Since the two T740s were in warranty I contacted them and after a month of phone calls and even though I have a working T740 they said since it's not HP software they aren't going to replace them.

• @johncnorris
    @johncnorris 2 года назад

That middle port looks like it could have a nice little fan with a custom 3D printed duct.

• @cheako91155
    @cheako91155 2 года назад +1

I've used a $70 base ~$120 /w box and PSU Espressobin and it's a little complicated, but in value/throughput worth a look.

• @squirlmy
      @squirlmy 2 года назад

I assume the V7 and not the newer one?

• @mrlithium69
      @mrlithium69 2 года назад

its more like a science project with the software compatibility

• @oneito947
    @oneito947 2 года назад +1

Cool things

• @EduardoRodriguezRocks
    @EduardoRodriguezRocks 2 года назад

Question that micro says it doesn’t support amd-v , not sure if the source is accurate

• @willcheung12
    @willcheung12 2 года назад

I've been getting an error about AMD-V is disabled on my HP T740. Anybody figure out how to get around this?

• @therealb888
    @therealb888 2 года назад +13

Back when I lost the chance to make the T620+ pfsense boxes & watched their prices skyrocket, I said to myself how long will it be before the next gen T730 or T740 can be repurposed like that. I don't want to repeat the same mistake again.
    EDIT: Less than 30 min after this video the prices on ebay are $415-$535. Damn I can't believe you got it for $270.
    I remember the T620+ was supposed to be $50-90 but after the STH effect they skyrockted in price to $150-$200.

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

The price is based mostly on stock availability, supply and demand. It does fluctuate between 250 to 400 dollars in the past 9-12 months.
      The t620 plus have a Fujitsu/Siemens Futro cousin that features a slightly newer APU and better build quality.

• @therealb888
      @therealb888 2 года назад +1

@@Waaaaaaaaaaaang Thanks, I might need to set up a bot or dedicated account for it to snipe at a lower price then.
      I know prices are in general a function of supply & demand but the STH effect can be lasting. I haven't seen a T620+ go down in price to rates claimed by others.
      Thanks for mentioning futro, I'll be on the look out for it as well.
      There are a few other concerns now than there were with just the T620+. Also while there is a sense of fun & accomplishment building a system like this it can quickly get financially questionable once you get into 100s of $ range coz now you're competing against whiteboxes & modern AX routers with used old gen CPUs & may be 1GbE NICs.
      I should probably make a more detailed thread with my doubts on STH.

• @oso2k
      @oso2k 2 года назад

@@therealb888 If you have a rack, a Dell R220, R320 or Dell R230, R330 make for great low power rack mounted pfSense routers. And then you don't have to 3d print a goofy rack rail for your router.

• @amyjinkerson1822
    @amyjinkerson1822 2 года назад +1

At least they done something about the 16x slot

• @AlexandreAlonso
    @AlexandreAlonso 2 года назад

where can see the cpu benchmark for pfsense routing bandwidth

• @lenano
    @lenano 2 года назад +6

I wonder why the memory slots are labeled DIMM1 and DIMM3, kinda makes it seem like there'd be a DIMM2 and DIMM4 on the other side of the motherboard. The specs say it has only 2 slots though so maybe it's just a weird labeling or they considered doing 4 slots but left them unpopulated on the other side. Would be cool to have a look at the other side of the board, I can't find any pictures of it.

• @TheMonthlyJack
      @TheMonthlyJack 2 года назад +5

Probably so they can do dual channel. If they just did 1 and 2 then both DIMMs would be on the same controller.
      The V1756B has a dual controller, dual channel memory controller.

• @lenano
      @lenano 2 года назад +1

@@TheMonthlyJack The previous generation T730 had them labeled DIMM1 and DIMM2 though, and that one also does dual channel. So I don't think the silkscreen on the board has much to do with that.

• @TheMonthlyJack
      @TheMonthlyJack 2 года назад +1

@@lenano That's becuse the RX-427BB has single controller dual channel for memory.
      The V1756B can do 4 DIMMs in dual channel
      The RX-427BB can do 2 DIMMS max

• @lenano
      @lenano 2 года назад

@@TheMonthlyJack I didn't know there was a difference between the amount of controllers and amount of channels. Just how many dimms it supports per channel. Where can I find this information? It sounds quite interesting. Either way I still don't think the silkscreen on the board is directly related to what controller or channel it is connected to on the CPU (for example on my laptop it's all over the place with completely mismatched silkscreen numbers and what it actually reports as the slot numbers).

• @clintcolombin
    @clintcolombin 2 года назад +1

Seriously considering something along these lines to replace my 8 year old NAS, but need it to also support larger drives. & deduplication

• @ierosgr
    @ierosgr 2 года назад

Above the battery is also a possible 2240 or 2230 slot.. can you install there an msata drive in order to have a total o3 storage devices (x1 M.2 nvme x1 M.2 sata x1 M.2 msata)?

• @ReQuiem_2099
      @ReQuiem_2099 2 года назад

msata is just a name indicating a SATA based SSD, built onto a mini PCIe PCB physical formfactor that predates M.2. Not a data transfer standard. It uses stock standard SATA bus.
      M.2 was the replacement physical standard and is not compatible with "msata" because it's a different formfactor.

• @ierosgr
      @ierosgr 2 года назад

@@ReQuiem_2099 Thank you for the abbreviation lesson but can you install a third drive in there where it seems to go the wifi card?

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

@@ierosgr won't work - it's M.2 A+E (for the Wifi card), not mSATA.

• @denvera1g1
    @denvera1g1 2 года назад +2

I wonder if the case could be modified to pull air in over the nics to allow for 25w 100Gbps nics, also, wouldnt expect this processor to be able to handle the interrupts for 100g, my Athlon 200GE struggles with 1G WAN

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  2 года назад +3

The other issue with the 100G was the PCIe connection.

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

You really can’t. HP didn’t exactly put air vents on the top of the chassis and there’s not much room to put in a blower. The only way to realistically cool it is to use a PCIe extension ribbon, move it out of the chassis and then put a USB powered fan on it. That being said, a 40GbE Mellanox ConnectX3 VPI will work just fine with it.

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

@@ServeTheHomeVideo yeah, PCIe 3.0x8 is not enough for 100GbE, and not even the Ryzen embedded V2000s feature PCIe 4.0.

• @denvera1g1
      @denvera1g1 2 года назад

@@Waaaaaaaaaaaang what about holes in the side of the case opposite the CPU to draw air in over the card

• @denvera1g1
      @denvera1g1 2 года назад

@@ServeTheHomeVideo I didnt even notice it was 3.0. let alone 8x. Made that mistake on a server i ordered for SCCM/MECM, optional 100G networking(dual port), but the board only supported 3.0 so even a 16x slot wouldnt be able to feed the card to its fullest

• @JasonsLabVideos
    @JasonsLabVideos 2 года назад +4

This would be good firewall box with dual 10g SFP+ ports ! AKA Untangle or Pfsense :)

• @therealb888
      @therealb888 2 года назад +2

Last year I had seen some dual 10g SFP+ & even dual 10G RJ-45 NICs on ebay go for as cheap as $20-30. Feeling so bad for not grabbing them.

• @JasonsLabVideos
      @JasonsLabVideos 2 года назад +1

@@therealb888 I know i know ! I agree !

• @therealb888
      @therealb888 2 года назад +2

@@JasonsLabVideos so you'd seen those listings too? Did you get them? Have you had any issues?

• @JasonsLabVideos
      @JasonsLabVideos 2 года назад

@@therealb888 I have 8 of them. All are working perfectly not a single issue!

• @kenmorris2858
    @kenmorris2858 Месяц назад

Cool PC. I wonder how Unraid would work on this with an external USB or esta 4 bay 3.5 enclosure? Perhaps the PCI port could be used for a esta card or HBA SAS/data controller. Cheers from nova Scotia.

• @Equality-and-Liberty
    @Equality-and-Liberty Год назад +1

Which distro of Linux can i run on this thing? I want to run Docker and some containers on it.

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  Год назад +1

We mostly use Ubuntu and Proxmox VE these days.

• @Equality-and-Liberty
      @Equality-and-Liberty Год назад

@@ServeTheHomeVideo Can i run Ubuntu server on it or do i need to install Ubuntu Desktop? I was talking about a T620

• @oso2k
    @oso2k 2 года назад +1

What did you think of the BIOS/UEFI? Usually the big knock on Thin Clients is they have goofy BIOS/UEFI or nearly non-existent FW. It can make getting an OS on to it a challenge until you understand how it works.

• @mrlithium69
      @mrlithium69 2 года назад

Thats my main concern, HP is not known for being a good UEFI, and all the OEMs have proprietary gunk that besides it being super annoying to work with, freaks me out with the black box nature of it all. I get the feeling they still own the machine after we buy it.

• @aprilkolwey4779

HP's current thin clients (t430, t540, t640, and t740) all ship with more or less the same firmware as some of HP's workstation-ish computers. It's AMI Aptio-based and seems to run pretty much anything fine.

• @tony-124
    @tony-124 2 года назад +1

Love this video! Does any know if they have these with an Intel CPU?

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  2 года назад

We have the Dell Wyse 5070 Extended. That is an Intel CPU based alternative but with a much less powerful CPU. Still working on the review at this point.

• @scudsturm1
    @scudsturm1 2 года назад

can i put a gpu inside and game on it?

• @maximum988
    @maximum988 2 года назад +1

Shame that the m.2 slots don't share any modes (either nvme or sata). I would love to have an almost TinyMiniMicro size machine with raid 1.

• @Hangover_Bear
      @Hangover_Bear 2 года назад +1

You could with a PCIe/NVMe add-in card, as long as you don’t want additional networking also.

• @DrivingWithJake
    @DrivingWithJake 2 года назад +2

Pew pew pew! :D

• @denvera1g1
    @denvera1g1 2 года назад +3

Would love something like this in a super shallow 1u form factor

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

This one got swapped with the M75q Gen2 one because I wanted to do a bit more research on it. Funny bit is that as part of that process I ordered a HP EliteDesk 805 G6 via ebay from someone that reads STH/ watches these videos

• @denvera1g1
      @denvera1g1 2 года назад

​@@ServeTheHomeVideo Ooooo sounds like there's going to be some spicy vendor lock testing going on if you're working on both the 805G6 and M75Q gen2.
      I've had to put off testing between M715Q, M75Q Gen1 and Gen2 due to the likelyhood of shifting from in person classes to work from home.
      TBH i fully expect the processors to work as long as the BIOS supports them

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

Qnap TS-873AU?

• @rottenfist220
    @rottenfist220 Год назад

How much Watt does it consume?

• @shubham_chaudhary881
    @shubham_chaudhary881 2 дня назад

Can we Install windows 10/11 on this system

• @balls2bone
    @balls2bone Год назад

I'm currently running OpenWRT on an HP T520 Thin Client (1GB RAM, 8GB SSD). Using a USB Gigabit NIC though!

• @2zum
    @2zum 2 года назад +4

Man this is exactly what I was after. I was looking to downsize my homeland a bit on the power front and was just thinking there has to be a smaller form factor device I can throw a 10gb card into for esxi.

• @brentgreeff1115
      @brentgreeff1115 2 года назад

I am looking to build my first one. - How do you force all traffic on the network through the firewall? - I guess if you want a 10gbe network at least for some devices, then the firewall has to be 10gb - since all traffic goes through it? - Is having 2 x 10gbe connections on the firewall better - I guess they would have diff IPs. - what NIC are you thinking to get?

• @Phil-D83
    @Phil-D83 2 года назад

The ones without pcie slots are good for docker; go pi hole,etc

• @bartoszkazmierczak7249
    @bartoszkazmierczak7249 2 года назад +2

Why does HP keep using those damn proprietary SSD screws? Those things are almost unobtainium as a spare part. And you can't really use a regular m.2 screw because those the threads are different. The T620 I picked out of an e-waste bin at work was missing one of those. It took me 5 months obtain one. I ended up buying a spare 16G ssd from one of those and I asked the seller if they had the screw.

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

HP and HPE both do it.

• @bartoszkazmierczak7249
      @bartoszkazmierczak7249 2 года назад

@@ServeTheHomeVideo do you remember any other systems that use those screws? That may be useful information when searching for replacements.

• @mrlithium69
      @mrlithium69 2 года назад +1

anti-consumer nonsense

• @mando7558
    @mando7558 2 года назад +1

does the T740 only come with AMD processors?

• @dawn1berlitz
    @dawn1berlitz 2 года назад

i would put a low profile sound card in it since these thin clients never have the audio jack in the back i would use one for a garage music pc

• @markolafploeg3265
    @markolafploeg3265 2 года назад

Nice verry nice

• @jorgea.a.597
    @jorgea.a.597 Год назад +1

hi guysd i can get this machine for 280USD with 32gb ram and 1tb nmve SSD. I need it for 3 monitors 4k, do you have experience if the CPU is fast enough to manage them and if the price is ok?
    in the other hand i have a Elitemini B550 with a ryzen 5700g, 16gb ram and 256gb nmve SSD for 400USD....

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  Год назад

As a desktop, the Ryzen system is better. Also check out our Project TinyMiniMicro series.

• @jorgea.a.597
      @jorgea.a.597 Год назад

@@ServeTheHomeVideo both options are Ryzen 😅

• @Apex180
    @Apex180 2 года назад

Seen any rackmount kits for this ? - this looks like a decent replacement for my Dell 1u r210

• @joshuamichael1232
    @joshuamichael1232 6 месяцев назад

I kept track! I just got one! 🤣

• @MK-of7qw
    @MK-of7qw 2 года назад +1

could also make a really good low power minecraft server for a few friends.

• @gulielmi2002
    @gulielmi2002 Год назад

the STH effect hasn't worn off yet; $300 used on ebay

• @JonnyDudemeister
    @JonnyDudemeister 2 года назад +5

Would love to see how many packets these systems can actually push around, especially when leveraging eBPF or DPDK. Also these systems technically already come with dual 10 GbE interfaces on the AMD SoC, too bad that seemingly no manufacturerer ever exposes them...

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

The 10GbE NICs onboard are very basic in terms of features. I think that is why they are not used.

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

@@ServeTheHomeVideo I think the better reason is because the Realtek will do AMD DASH, while their own NIC doesn’t, and most of the Ryzen embedded usecase as digital signage/thin client boxes don’t need enough bandwidth to require 10GbE. Hopefully the (delayed) Xilinx acquisition would mean that they can get Solarflare to integrate a better one onboard.

• @JonnyDudemeister
      @JonnyDudemeister 2 года назад

@@ServeTheHomeVideo makes sense, but it makes you wonder why AMD would waste perfectly good die area on a PHY that no-one wants to use. Maybe the manufacturers are just hesitant to ship an unproven solution even if there is a market for low end 10 GbE connectivity.

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang
      @Waaaaaaaaaaaang 2 года назад +5

@@JonnyDudemeister from what I’ve heard? That 10GbE NIC is not an AMD part, it’s something embedded as some sweetheart deal with an AMD partner, and most (if not all) companies out there does not want to pay the passthrough cost in licensing its use. I’ve only heard of a single vendor out there (Sapphire) which offered a Ryzen embedded board with 10GbE, and I think that one is Marvell/Aquantia.

• @therealb888

@@Waaaaaaaaaaaang Integrated marvell acquantia 10gbe nics on a system like this are a dream come true. It's not quite often you can find good deals on 10gbe nics & consumer routers are entering 2.5gbe space with wifi 6e

• @baldknobby
    @baldknobby 2 года назад

Bought one of these off EBay after watching this but it is locked down in the BIOS with an unknown password. How do I remove bios password??

• @EclecticBablefish
      @EclecticBablefish Год назад

Did you ever find this out?

• @baldknobby
      @baldknobby Год назад +1

@@EclecticBablefish no, I just sold it and bought another one that was unlocked.

• @pretol7920
    @pretol7920 Год назад

has anyone tried sticking AMD 6400xt in this?

• @molion8398
    @molion8398 2 года назад

This one totally doesn't woth buying in 2022
    But I really wanna see the HP T430 performance wich may be worth buying

• @BearMeat4Dinner
    @BearMeat4Dinner Год назад

How about adding on apple because everyone is more or less at the same stage n what not.

• @kitkat2407
    @kitkat2407 2 года назад

I don't know. Sounds good but as enthusiast I think working with HP is a huge pain. Everything is behind some licenses and vendor locking and other stuff. After two HP Server and one Network Switch I will try other vendors.

• @repatch43
    @repatch43 2 года назад +1

FWIW I have a small rack of SFF Dell refurb PCs running pfsense for my main gateway, and a couple running a bunch of VMs using Promox.
    Each PC was had for less than $200 (just wait around for a sale, especially for B grade). Not the fastest processors one is a 2nd Gen i5, the rest are 4th gen i5s), but each is 4 core which is great for some VMs.
    If you have the space they are a great option.

• @BansheeBunny
    @BansheeBunny 2 года назад +2

Give me a fan with a grill and Dremel and I'll get a 100Gb NIC to work in that box.

• @321murf123
    @321murf123 2 года назад +1

where to buy?

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

Usually we get these off eBay, but low stock there now because of this. The STH great deals forum usually has someone post when another big lot gets sold cheaply

• @mranthony1886
    @mranthony1886 2 года назад +2

Nice none of those for under 700NZD+250NZD shipping from USA... STH secret sellers...

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

Deal was posted in our forums a few weeks ago (linked in description). Now that we have this out, prices will be higher for a bit

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

@@ServeTheHomeVideo Oh, t640/740 great deals are posted on a semi-regular basis. I think for the t740 alone there has been 4 postings, and one for its DFI Industrial PC clone. Most of those deals tend to hover at around the 280 dollar range.

• @thisisreallyme3130
    @thisisreallyme3130 2 года назад

Ugh... first page of results in ebay show sellers asking for "new" prices for "pulled' hardware. I'll have to keep watching.

• @TunsaMcHaggis
    @TunsaMcHaggis 2 года назад +3

cheapest one in australia is $660au.. jesus
    but then again the specs are impressive for something thats meant to be a thin client

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

ANZ pricing is very rough :-(

• @LesNewell
      @LesNewell 2 года назад +1

In the UK you're looking at over £800 (~$1500au). Not worth it. Wyse 5070s turn up occasionally for a good price. They have a J5005 processor so they are reasonably quick for the money.

• @kindanyume
    @kindanyume 2 года назад +1

270 for this.. cant find any for less than 880 here!

• @tjmarx
    @tjmarx Год назад +1

Wow 11 months later, $1500AUD on ebay. This Australia tax is a killer.

• @harrythehandyman
    @harrythehandyman 2 года назад +1

• @zxcvb_bvcxz
    @zxcvb_bvcxz 2 года назад +1

Lol, the only listings in Australia are 1.5k+

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

Give it a few months and the prices should fall a lot.

• @ajama1335
    @ajama1335 2 года назад +3

Good luck getting this at a resonable price in the UK 😞

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  2 года назад +3

Things go OOS with the STH effect pretty quickly. These doubled in price within 6 hours of putting this up in a lot of regions.

• @tokehgekko9455
    @tokehgekko9455 Год назад

Dell R220 with an E3-1230 v3, 16gb DDR3 ECC and a 240gb SSD is perfect for pfSense xD

• @SkysTrains
    @SkysTrains Год назад +1

i kinda want to get make a custom rack for the 1l pc's

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  Год назад +1

We have a reader who is doing this.

• @SkysTrains
      @SkysTrains Год назад

@@ServeTheHomeVideo very nice. i will be too. i have spent the last hour researching it and 10" racks.

• @olafschermann1592
    @olafschermann1592 2 года назад +1

REQ: please make a video about cheap / small entry level gaming PCs. Like in a thinkstation P620 or T1000 class. Maybe cheap low spec GPUs into a SFF or 1 liter PC? Which GPU suits a core i-5 7500 class pc? Are there any ryzen 5xxx intel nuc style PCs out there with integrated vega 8?

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

We have done the P620. We just do not do gaming on STH. We have two Ryzen 5000GE 1L PCs from Lenovo and HP inbound

• @Waaaaaaaaaaaang

Well, this one actually makes for an okay casual gaming machine - the Ryzen embedded V1756B is the embedded version of the Ryzen 5 2600H, which is found in a few old Asus desktop replacement laptops. If you read gaming reviews on the Ryzen 5 2400GE, it’s broadly similar in performance (the V1756B packs a Vega 8 instead of the Vega 11 on the 2400GE). As for gaming NUCs, pretty sure @servethehome reviewed the Intel Hades Canyon (Kaby Lake + Vega on-die), the Intel NUC9 Extreme and that HP Z2 Mini with its MXM nVidia graphics.
      So, t640 next…?

• @buckturgidson9666
      @buckturgidson9666 2 года назад

Aren't there enough gaming channels on RUclips already? Why ask STH to do it? It's like asking a cooking channel to review a car...

• @olafschermann1592
      @olafschermann1592 2 года назад

@@buckturgidson9666 Why not. For me it is just an extention of the tinyminimicro series. Gaming Channels just feature those big gaming machines with 3090 cards in it. Which is not compatible with most wifes. Also video cutting needs some GPU (davinci resolve).

• @buckturgidson9666
      @buckturgidson9666 2 года назад

@@olafschermann1592 Okay, I guess we just have a misunderstanding. The gaming channels I watch don't just have high end gaming rigs, but also budget and mid-range options in their shows. I do not know how GPU-hungry davinci resolve is, but for digital photo development, a low end GPU is sufficient. Even with a bigger GPU, I wouldn't call my setup a "Gaming PC".

• @hcjkruse
    @hcjkruse 2 года назад +1

T740 EU640 upto over EU 800 in Europe. Cool but not for that amount of money ;)

• @viernester
    @viernester 2 года назад

wtf when did Patrick get so freaking ripped...

• @philsheppard532
    @philsheppard532 2 года назад

So , am I right here You can put Windows 11 on one of these ?

• @Stopinvadingmyhardware
    @Stopinvadingmyhardware 2 года назад

Who’s home?

• @ImmoderateThesis
    @ImmoderateThesis 2 года назад +1

A bit "Patrick from STH" to start off the year 😅

• @ServeTheHomeVideo
      @ServeTheHomeVideo  2 года назад +1

I am ashamed it took until the 3rd to get a video out. Our team took off Christmas to New Years though

• @ImmoderateThesis
      @ImmoderateThesis 2 года назад

@@ServeTheHomeVideo Still wonderful to see you again here! I hope your team had merry holidays and will serve us more awesome videos this year.

• @PrinceAlvar
    @PrinceAlvar 11 месяцев назад +1

not me thinking about installing a gpu in it.........

• @KenSharp
    @KenSharp 2 года назад +1

Well it's just a PC not a thin client. Hence the price.

• @zstation64
    @zstation64 2 года назад +1

LOL, £849 in the UK. Could buy two real server boxes for that.

• @Sartek
    @Sartek 2 года назад

Dang. eBay prices are sitting up $500+ now

• @DSK_Sean
    @DSK_Sean 2 года назад +1

Low price? Over $700? We all want to know where you get one of those for under $300...

• @ServeTheHomeVideo

The $300 price was common in 2021 if you look at the STH forum guides linked in the description. All of the $300 deals went away within two days of publishing this piece.