Dynamic Dependent Dropdown Lists in Excel: create and manage all the categories you need - T0032

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 29 сен 2024

Комментарии • 109

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
    @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  6 месяцев назад

Since this video was published, this technique was simplified. Watch this session to learn a much easier way to implement up to 3 dependent dropdown lists.
    ruclips.net/video/9YzxMuih_7E/видео.htmlsi=3EUWBU9l8wdAscIj

• @DroneEyes
    @DroneEyes Год назад +2

Oi celia o link para baixar o XLS mencionado acima nao esta funcionando :(
    Voce poderia concertar e nos avisar para que possamos baixar o arquivo?
    Muito obrigado!

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  Год назад

Olá, Vicente. Pode por favor verificar se agora já funciona? Depois de introduzir nome e email e confirmar, deve ter acesso a uma página onde está o link para um zip no one drive contendo 2 arquivos.

• @DroneEyes
      @DroneEyes Год назад

@@CeliaAlvesSolveExcel eu consegui baixar os arquivos, porem a coluna "H" nao esta mostrando os valores no dropdown, voce tem que digitar o nome para que o campo seja preenchido. nao sei se foi essa a sua intencao mas muito obrigado

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  Год назад +1

@@DroneEyes estão dois arquivos no zip. O que tem YT no final do nome está a funcionar correctamente porque é o que construí durante o tutorial. Tem que ter Excel para Microsoft 365 ou 2021 para poder usar no desktop. Ou se tiver OneDrive pode salvar os arquivos lá e abrir no Excel online que vai funcionar.

• @AccessAnalytic
    @AccessAnalytic Год назад +3

Nice hack with the # at the end of the forrnula to pick up the array!

• @iankr
    @iankr Год назад +2

Many thanks, Celia - this is ingenious and very well explained.
    PS: Your new hairstyle suits you!

• @ggbin8092
    @ggbin8092 Год назад +1

I'm using google sheet, and I'm stuck at 'CategoryInRow'.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Check the video I mention in my reply to @gorga1709. It shows a simplified version of this method that might be compatible with Google Sheets.

• @ziggle314
    @ziggle314 Год назад +3

Magic. Nice job, as always. Thanks for all your efforts.

• @kevinnguyen5698
    @kevinnguyen5698 8 месяцев назад +1

Magic! Do you have a video for ones that would have up to 10 subcategories with some subcategories having the same cell names in different main categories.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  8 месяцев назад

I do not. But I've dealt with something similar.
      Please check my presentation to the event Excel Virtually Global in 2023

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  8 месяцев назад

ruclips.net/video/mnak4jw7gu4/видео.htmlsi=K8we5cgg_f7myw9a around min 49:40

• @EricHartwigExcelConsulting
    @EricHartwigExcelConsulting Год назад +2

Magic! This is really awesome! Thank you for creating and posting this video!

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Awesome to see you are a Champion too! Thank you for watching and your feedback. 💪🏆🔥

• @Nelson10409
    @Nelson10409 6 месяцев назад +1

Hello Celia, I inserted my dropdown lists in between other columns and noticed that if I apply filters; I lose the content of my dropdown lists...is there a way to apply filters wo losing them?
    Thanks

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Hi, Nelson. I tested on my end and I do not get that behavior.
      I wonder if it had to do with filters at all. I recommend checking the formulas associated to the data validation. The $ need to be in the correct place. Give it a review and good luck. Thank you

• @Nelson10409
      @Nelson10409 6 месяцев назад +1

@@CeliaAlvesSolveExcel , Thank you for reviewing this.
      1. Found an error on the first data validation...I did not roll the formula to all table - this one is solved
      2. Since I inserted the data validation formulas between other columns, when I apply filters; I only get them in one side of the columns...example have other data in columns "a & b" then data validation formulas in "c & d" and other data again in "e & f"; can I get them in both sides?
      Thanks again for your help.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

@@Nelson10409 you control where the data validation applies. It all has to do with how you set the rules.
      Since I published this video, a sonogram technique came along. I suggest that you check the comments to find that other way which is much easier to implement.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Check this one: ruclips.net/video/9YzxMuih_7E/видео.htmlsi=3EUWBU9l8wdAscIj

• @louisvanderhorst4022
    @louisvanderhorst4022 9 месяцев назад +1

Terriffic solution Thanks very, very

• @ExcelUpNorth
    @ExcelUpNorth Год назад +2

Very helpful video! I am a big fan of Named Ranges as well 😁

• @eduardomunoz2764
    @eduardomunoz2764 Год назад +2

Excelente video, gran explicación. Gracias Celia, saludos

• @zacharymbradleyjr
    @zacharymbradleyjr Год назад +2

I am 4 minutes and 24 seconds into your video and I had to pause to send you a HUGE thank you! I have watched so many videos regarding this subject and yours is the only one that is the most benificial. Granted, there are various ways to set up dependent drop down options, but yours is so easy and straight forward and the flexibility is amazing!!!!!

• @IbrahimNajjar-by2dk
    @IbrahimNajjar-by2dk Год назад +2

Absolutely amazing! just solved an issue I have been struggling with for months. Thanks for the in depth explanation Celia!!!

• @davebickers7209
    @davebickers7209 Год назад +1

Magic. Very impressive. Which link has the practice file?

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Hi, David. Sorry for the mistake and thank you for asking. The link is now available.
      Glad that you enjoyed the tutorial till the end. 💪👌🔥🏆

• @Mohamed.GadAllah
    @Mohamed.GadAllah 8 месяцев назад

Thanks a lot, Queen Celia for this amazing video, please, I've 4 columns in a table, and each column has several subcategories, please, how do you apply your technique for the 4 columns compared to your video with 2 columns? Thanks

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  8 месяцев назад +1

Hi, Mohamed. Please watch this video with this technique simplified: ruclips.net/video/U3WnM2JCrVc/видео.htmlsi=nuPA4IgpLboih_WK

• @zahoorsarbandi2982
    @zahoorsarbandi2982 Год назад +2

A very informative lecture on dependent dropdown list with a simple and easily understandable method of teaching. Thanks for the efforts.

• @ClaudeBalleux
    @ClaudeBalleux Год назад +2

Very helpfull! Thank you!

• @mestrecris1
    @mestrecris1 Год назад +2

Magic! Repliquei a explicação com um tema do meu interesse. Muito obrigada

• @rodyeltabaa6871
    @rodyeltabaa6871 9 месяцев назад +1

Nice video. Also, I have found an efficient and v. simple way to reference to every table in workbook in a drop down list then list the selected table's headers in another drop down list and finally get a unique list of that column in a 3rd dependent drop down list.... and Only using the INDIRECT fuction....
    happy to share my findings with you 😊

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  9 месяцев назад

That's awesome!
      The INDIRECT function is very useful and unavoidable in many scenarios. When possible, I prefer not to use it because it is a volatile function , meaning that it is constantly recalculating with every change in the workbook.
      The technique you describe is what I used before the dynamic array functions.
      Another disadvantage of it is that the item names cannot have space character because neither can table names. There's ways to work around that, but extra work.
      Take a look at the video by Wyn Hopkins in his channel where he simplified the technique I presented in this video.

• @NathanAshe-xj7zv
    @NathanAshe-xj7zv 11 месяцев назад +1

Trying to do this with 37 categories with 3-6 subcategories each, while adding another row for "titles" with ~5 titles per subcategory was not as enjoyable as the video. A great video all the same, appreciate the lesson Celia!

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  11 месяцев назад

You survived and learned! So glad that you made it! 💪🔥

• @AjayDhole
    @AjayDhole 7 месяцев назад +1

Superb! I have wanted exact solution for last couple of days, really this solution made my day... :)

• @markbuys5726
    @markbuys5726 Год назад +1

hi, Thanks for the info is it possible to do this in reverse? example, By selecting a town , you'll get a city , state , country the continent to auto populate

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Yes. For that, you still need a list with all the towns and corresponding states and countries.
      Then, if you'd like, you can set the first dropdown for the user to select the town. In each of the other columns, you can have a formula with VLOOKUP or XLOOKUP to populate the state and country.

• @ElizzaLoren
    @ElizzaLoren Год назад

If subcategory is not unique, what formula should I use? Please help.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Do you mean you then have a sub-subcategory?
      You would have to repeat the same reasoning.
      In the video description there is a link to a page where you can buy a file that has another level of dependency. The file is ready to use you only need to fill in the data.
      I hope it helps.
      solveandexcel.ca/dynamic-dependent-dropdown-lists-in-excel/

• @roshanjacob5894
    @roshanjacob5894 Год назад

its quite confusing when its in subcategory

• @shravanidarekar132
    @shravanidarekar132 6 месяцев назад

Toooo Boring same thing to many repetative

• @shravanidarekar132
    @shravanidarekar132 6 месяцев назад

TOOOOO Lengthy ....lost focus

• @amandeepchandhok7166
    @amandeepchandhok7166 Год назад +1

I really want to thank you for this.
    i have been looking to come up with a solution and yours is the best.

• @ABellaLuna
    @ABellaLuna Год назад +1

Wonderful - but do you have a way to make multiple dependencies?
    In this example Category is selected from a list, Subcategory is dependant on what is selected in list. But what if you want to keep going with multiple sub categories?
    e.g. I select a service, then in sub category 1 it shows me where that service is available, sub category 2 is companies offer that service on that location, sub category 3 is if we have a current contract with the vendor selected, and keep going for a few more.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

You can create as many subcategories as you want with repeating a similar reasoning. Your table needs to have more columns with all the combinations possible. For the 3rd option selected for example, the category would be concatenation of the first two values selected.
      I have a ready-to-use file that takes up to 3 columns in the items list.
      solveandexcel.ca/dynamic-dependent-dropdown-lists-in-excel/

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Although in your case, it seems that not all would be a subcategory in the same table. For example indicating if there is a current project with the selected client would probably be a column with a formula looking up the client in your list of projects. This list is separate from your list of services.

• @Colin-Fenix
    @Colin-Fenix 11 месяцев назад

Seems outdated and complicated compared to many other solutions to this problem.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  11 месяцев назад

I only know one solution better than this one that was inspired in this technique and then improved. Check Wyn Hopkins RUclips channel for that one.
      A solution that uses very recently added Excel dynamic array functions cannot be so outdated. :)
      Complex, yes, but any pervious solutions I've seen were not as dynamic as this one, allowing to create as many lists of subcategories you need and with space characters in the category name.
      Depending on your case, you may not need this level of flexibility.

• @Picla_Peremohy
    @Picla_Peremohy Год назад +1

Wonderful video Celia! Thank you for putting it together for us.
    Also, thank you for mentioning Ukraine in the Europe category

Is there a reason for not including a space between "South" and "Africa"? Would that break the solution? I'll test when I get off this tablet and thought I would ask.
    Again, thank you for your giving nature to take the time to share your knowledge with the community.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Hi, Jim! Glad that you enjoyed the video.
      South Africa without space was a mistake. The ability of using spaces is in fact an advantage of this solution compared to other traditional ones.
      In the video description there's a link for a ready-to-use file in case it interests you. Good luck! :)

• @Picla_Peremohy
      @Picla_Peremohy Год назад +1

@@CeliaAlvesSolveExcel Thanks Celia. This is so good to know that spaces are allowed and a great feature of this solution. 1000🌟

• @olanrewajubello5881
    @olanrewajubello5881 3 месяца назад

Thank you very much for sharing your expertise

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  3 месяца назад

You're very welcome! Thank you for stopping by. Glad to help.

• @gorga1709
    @gorga1709 Год назад +1

Hello Celia, this is so helpful, thank you very much!, i want to know more about dependent dropdown lists, especially making multilevel dropdown lists maybe 4 to 5 levels. Do you have the materials? I will be very happy if I can get it

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Hi! :) I have a ready-to-use file for 3 columns of dependent dropdown lists that you can get here: solveandexcel.ca/dynamic-dependent-dropdown-lists-in-excel/
      For more levels, we need to repeat the process by adding the extra supporting lists.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

If you are going to build that many levels, I recommend you watch this video by Wyn Hopkins who found a way of simplifying this method: ruclips.net/video/U3WnM2JCrVc/видео.html

• @gorga1709
      @gorga1709 Год назад +1

@@CeliaAlvesSolveExcel thank you

• @wayneroberts7429
    @wayneroberts7429 6 месяцев назад +1

Magic! Thanks so much for this solution Celia.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

You're welcome, Wayne! Glad that it helped.
      In the meantime, I've evolved to using a simpler technique that does not involve creating names. If interested, please see here ruclips.net/video/9YzxMuih_7E/видео.htmlsi=xBMadi7-K7yBZIuA
      In this presentation I explain dropdowns from creating one up to creating 3 dependent ones.

• @carot2003c
    @carot2003c 3 месяца назад

You are genius!

• @baterdenepurevsuren7687
    @baterdenepurevsuren7687 9 месяцев назад

hello, my # is not working :( how to fix it.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  9 месяцев назад

Which version of Excel do you have? It needs to be Excel 2021 or Microsoft 365.

• @roshanjacob5894
    @roshanjacob5894 Год назад

its quite confusing when its in subcategory

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

I know. Two suggestions:
      - check Wyn Hopkins RUclips channel and find his last video about dependent dropdown lists - he simplified my technique.
      - you can buy a file that I prepared with all set up where you only need to enter your data: solveandexcel.ca/dynamic-dependent-dropdown-lists-in-excel/

• @courtneygeorgie5758
    @courtneygeorgie5758 Год назад

Thank you so much for this Celia! I do have 1 part I'm struggling with - I got all the way to the conditional formatting and have triple checked my formula, however the subcategory cells stay red after correcting the drop down category and do not return to unfilled. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks a bunch!

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Hi, Courtney. Conditional Formatting applies a format based on a condition. In this case, it is painting the cell in red if the values selected in the two columns are not a valid pair. You have to clear or amend those values manually.
      Conditional Formatting does not clear the cells from invalid values automatically. To do that automatically, you would have to use vba.

• @Fabi_terra
    @Fabi_terra 7 месяцев назад +1

This tutorial is incredible! Thank you so much for taking the time to make it. I really appreciate your effort. 🤗🤗

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  7 месяцев назад +1

You're welcome! Make sure to check the comments. There's a simplified version published by Wyn Hopkins that is easier to implement.

• @Fabi_terra

@@CeliaAlvesSolveExcel Thank you! Is it possible to add a function to prevent someone from entering the same data twice on the source list?

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  7 месяцев назад +1

@@Fabi_terra add a column to the table with countif. Range is the column where people enter the data. Criteria is the cell in that same column. Then put that inside IF and say is countif result is greater than 1 than "duplicate" else "".

• @Fabi_terra

@@CeliaAlvesSolveExcel Hey Celia, thank you so much! I appreciate it! Have a lovely day.😘

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel
      @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel  7 месяцев назад

@@Fabi_terra you're welcome! A lovely day to you as well.

• @markp8600
    @markp8600 8 месяцев назад +1

Magic!!! Great video Celia 😎😎

• @nurfareehabintiahmadfisol7223
    @nurfareehabintiahmadfisol7223 7 месяцев назад +1

Very helpful and clear !!!!

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Awesome! Glad that it helped. And thank you for your feedback. :)

• @KalaniR-dt6lt
    @KalaniR-dt6lt 7 месяцев назад

This is very useful and it worked. The way you teach step by step makes the all the difference compared to other videos. Thank you so much!

• @johnschroeder2795
    @johnschroeder2795 6 месяцев назад +1

I like the examples!

• @cammog87
    @cammog87 Год назад

Hi thanks for your video sorry if this comment appears twice. I have a question can i draw information from 2 seperate dropdown lists and combine them into one list with selection from both lists?

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Not sure i understand what you mean. Are you referring to having a third dropdown where the options depend on the values chosen for the first two columns?
      Is that's the case, check the link in the video description. I have ready-to-use file for that.
      Basically, you repeat the same reasoning where the category is composed of list of all possible pairs of columns 1 and 2 concatenated.

• @cammog87
      @cammog87 Год назад +1

So i have 2 drop down lists both with thier own information but i want to be able after first selection in thier own individual drop downs i want to be able to draw both sets off information into 1 seperate droplist. Is this possible.

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

@@cammog87 I am still unsure of what you mean. It might be helpful if you provide an example.
      Did you check the link I mentioned on my previous comment?

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

Also, please see if this video helps: ruclips.net/video/baJNifZZC-I/видео.htmlsi=2KmM1x8wR0uXBbdf

• @cammog87
      @cammog87 Год назад

So the purpose im using it for is not for what you are using it for in your video example but i have use your example to get me to the point where i am at. So i have one 2 tier drop drop list. I want to create a second drop down list that is the same but with seperate information to the first. Once i make a selection in both lists is there a way to draw from both different list after i have made a selection in them to put them into its own seperate list createing a new list with choices from the 2 seperate lists. I know this is hard to explain im just trying to see if its possible in excel

• @adamtabor6754
    @adamtabor6754 11 месяцев назад

No exercise file.

• @SishGupta
    @SishGupta 7 месяцев назад

THANK YOU!!!!

• @CeliaAlvesSolveExcel

You're welcome! Check a simplified version of this technique on Wyn Hopkins channel.

• @louisivara498
    @louisivara498 Год назад

Appreciate this so much. God bless your great heart