Fujifilm X-E3 - A Practical Comparison with the X-T20

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 1 авг 2024
  • I borrowed the Fujifilm X-E3 and took it to snowy Norway to compare it with the X-T20, my usual carry-around, video and back up camera.
    This isn’t really an in-depth review of all the cameras specifications and feature, more an overview on what it’s like to use and a look at it’s differences and similarities with the X-T20.
    Buy here:
    Fuji X-E3 amzn.to/2GJGTYv (UK: amzn.to/2IjeOUO)
    Fuji X-T20 amzn.to/2yzFoHq (UK: amzn.to/2yB0s0G)
    Join me shooting in Lofoten next year or the Dolomites this autumn www.andymumford.com/workshops/
    If you're interested in purchasing any of the gear I use in this video, and you enjoy my videos, please support my work by clicking on the affiliate links below. The US Amazon links are on the left, the UK ones are on the right.
    Thanks so much.
    Gear I used in this film:
    Cameras
    Fuji X-T2 amzn.to/2x8mgwX (UK: amzn.to/2gRFH78)
    Lenses
    Fujinon XF10-24mm amzn.to/2veZzXI (UK: amzn.to/2xoHA4M)
    Fujinon XF55-200mm amzn.to/2vxSEMa (UK: amzn.to/2xsWPqZ)
    Fuji XF18-55MM amzn.to/2CEYSZZ (UK: amzn.to/2BLNJJW)
    Gitzo Traveller Series 1 Tripod amzn.to/2qxKZYq (UK: amzn.to/2jVdNeo)
    Drone = DJI Mavic Pro amzn.to/2zlZlil (UK: amzn.to/2kZVpBD)
    Microphone = Røde VMGO amzn.to/2lyggrZ (UK: amzn.to/2xpkXgx)
    Instagram: / andymumfordphotography
    Facebook: / andymumfordphotography
    Music licensed via Epidemic Sound

Комментарии • 178

• @cosmogang
    @cosmogang 6 лет назад +67

Dear god how beautiful is that scenery!

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  6 лет назад

Indeed, it's an astonishingly beautiful place.

• @MrBPM75
      @MrBPM75 5 лет назад

@@AndyMumford Is this Lofoten Island?

• @emilhenrik-pedersen6487
    @emilhenrik-pedersen6487 6 лет назад +9

Great camera, so good I purchased one with the 23 F2 lens and have been super pleased with the images so far, and the new update is brilliant! Great review, really interesting to listen to your thoughts!

• @AndyMumford

Thanks for the comment Emil, really glad you liked the video

• @xeroeddie
    @xeroeddie 4 года назад +2

Tried out the XE3 in the local shop. With the optional grip it actually feels really comfortable. It balanced quite well with the 10-24mm when using the grip.

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  4 года назад

The grip makes a big difference to the smaller cameras...I used to use one on the X-T10

• @Sergei__v
    @Sergei__v 6 лет назад

Wow, simply wow! What a beautiful rendering. I have to admit this completely blew me away. Spectacular color science.

• @oldgrumpyjim5003
    @oldgrumpyjim5003 6 лет назад +2

As always Andy great content Interesting comparison.
    Jim

• @dave.mosquera
    @dave.mosquera 6 лет назад +21

the "kit lens" is more than decent and not really that cheap, i would say that if it had a wider aperture along the range it would be killer. good video man.

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  6 лет назад +6

Hi Dave. I should qualify that statement a little more. The 18-55 is an incredibly good lens and I use it instead of the 16-55f2.8. which is a measure of how highly I rate it. However, Fuji lenses are generally extremely good and the 18-55 doesn't give as good an idea of the detail the sensor is capable of capturing as other Fuji lenses in the line up. That's all I meant.

• @barrycohen311
    @barrycohen311 5 лет назад +5

I also use an X-T2 and X-T20 as a backup. But often times I will grab the X-T20 when I want something lighter or more compact. Image quality seems identical to me.

• @icopal
    @icopal 6 лет назад +1

Great video and great picture Andy! I discovered your work thanks to your RUclips videos.
    Which dynamic Range setting do you use for landscape picture? (when you don’t merge on HDR)
    Thank you

• @1spitfirepilot
    @1spitfirepilot 6 лет назад

Lucid and informative, as ever. Many thanks.

• @rahulwaman
    @rahulwaman Год назад +2

this was interesting information with demo & thanks a lot for that ! i was thinking about getting xe3 with 18-55 lens & this video will help me for the decision.i have seen your other videos about photography & your work is truly very impressive & inspiring !

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  Год назад

Thanks so much, really glad you found the video useful

• @totoroutes5389
    @totoroutes5389 4 года назад +2

Great demonstration of not needing to worry so much when the camera is not weathersealed.

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  4 года назад +2

Absolutely, I was just using the X-T30 in some atrocious weather in Iceland and it was fine

• @marque27
    @marque27 6 лет назад

Great video. Very informative.

• @dragonstone6594
    @dragonstone6594 5 лет назад +1

Excellent review! 👍

• @dsaint94
    @dsaint94 6 лет назад

Would love to see you do more frequent videos....always interesting content!

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  6 лет назад +1

Thanks for the comment. Video isn't something that comes naturally to me and it actually takes me a lot of time to put one together. Also, I don't really have enough content for videos more regularly, I tend to do one when I think I've got something to make a video about. I think I'd struggle to come up with interesting ideas if I tried to make them faster.

• @dsaint94
      @dsaint94 6 лет назад

Well quality is better than quantity so keep doing what you're doing so!

• @checksix_TC
    @checksix_TC 6 лет назад +1

Beautiful location. Lovely little camera.

• @HarryBradbury
    @HarryBradbury 6 лет назад +11

I think you understate the kit lens a bit there. The image quality from it is phenomenal for a lens of it's price point, plus it's built like a tank!

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  6 лет назад +3

Hi Harry, thanks for the comment. The 18-55 is an incredibly good lens for it's price and I use it instead of the 16-55f2.8. which is a measure of how highly I rate it. However, Fuji lenses are generally extremely good and the 18-55 doesn't give as good an idea of the detail the sensor is capable of capturing as other Fuji lenses in the line up. That's all I meant.

• @MattFreestonePictures
      @MattFreestonePictures 6 лет назад

Hang on, Andy. Are you saying you rate the 18-55 above the 16-55? I'm about to buy either the XT-2 or X-H1 with the 16-55. I've owned the X-E2 and 18-55 in the past and rate that 'kit' lens very highly, but assumed (from research and reviews) that the 16-55 was an even better lens?

• @AndyMumford

No Matt, that's not what I meant. The 16-55mm f2.8 is a better lens, but as I rarely shoot with that focal range and only tend to use it for video, then for me I value the smaller size and weight of the 18-55 over the superior image quality of the 16-55

• @MattFreestonePictures
      @MattFreestonePictures 6 лет назад

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense. Do you have (or have used) the 50-140 f/2.8 at all? Many thanks for the reply and your excellent videos!

• @BenjaminFreddie
      @BenjaminFreddie 6 лет назад

I will say that if you do enough video, the 18-55 is perhaps a better *overall* lens. But for photography alone the 16-55 is definitely superior. I use the 18-55 all the time for my videos because of OIS. I had considered getting the 16-55 but decided to go down the prime lens path instead for faster photo lenses. 👌🏼

• @stxteksolutions
    @stxteksolutions 5 лет назад +1

Thank you, Andy. i am thinking to get a X-E3 or XT-20 recently, your video helps me a lot. by the way, Norway is so so so beautiful!

• @yw3526
      @yw3526 4 года назад

Stone Fan what did you get

• @stxteksolutions
      @stxteksolutions 4 года назад

Y W Recently I fall in love with running, i prefer carrying a phone not a camera.

• @brianwong1925
    @brianwong1925 6 лет назад

Thanks for your video. Will you make a review of X-H1 in the near future?

• @AndyMumford

Hi Brian. I should have an X-H1 review sometime in the next couple of months.

• @stephenericwalsh
    @stephenericwalsh 6 лет назад

I like your manner and demeanour.

• @elviscastillophoto
    @elviscastillophoto 6 лет назад

Hey there Andy... I just found your channel and I'm impressed with the lovely, meaningful content your putting out. I'm considering moving from Canon to the Fuji X system and was wondering what your typically using for post processing and color grading. I ask because I've heard people refer to issues with Fuji's RAF format with LR and Capture One. Thanks in advance for the advice!

• @AndyMumford

I use Lightroom CC for my Fuji RAF files. People seem to encounter problems with Fuji files when they sharpen them in LR, but I convert images to TIFFs and do any sharpening in PS.

• @davidmillard2946
    @davidmillard2946 6 лет назад +15

Quick tip on the XE3 when changing from still to video scroll up instead of down to go straight to video in one click of the joy stick. Similarly when in video scroll down to go back to still in one. I enjoy all of your videos they are very informative.

• @AndyMumford

Hi David. Well, thanks for that...and I suppose t should have been obvious as all the menus are wraparound on the Fuji. I no longer have the X-E3 though, I gave it back to Fuji after the trip.

• @laurentcasado6968
      @laurentcasado6968 6 лет назад

It makes it even easier to switch from photo to video than the X-T2. You can even do it through the EVF

• @matthewbell1968
    @matthewbell1968 4 года назад +1

Excellent and highly professional video this Andy well done. I've just got an xe3 as a compliment to my d500 for wildlife. With the 18-55 I absolutely love the photos I take. I did try the xt3 with the 100-400 for wildlife but in terms of tracking it couldn't compete with the d500 and Fuji needs a 500mm lens IMO. Thanks again for a great video.

• @AndyMumford

Thanks so for the comment Matthew, really glad you enjoyed the video

• @ttietsch
    @ttietsch 6 лет назад

With which software do you cut your movies? Nice footage and drone shots!

• @comfywomfy
    @comfywomfy 6 лет назад

Fantastic video buddy. Thanks 🙏🏻

• @AndyMumford

Glad you liked it , thanks for the comment

• @comfywomfy
      @comfywomfy 6 лет назад

Sorry to bother you Andy and this may sound like a bit of a silly question as I'm pretty new to my Fujifilm camera but can I ask, do you mess about much with the dynamic range on your Fujifilm cameras or do you just leave the setting on auto? Thanks bud. Oh I subbed by the way ?:) great channel.

• @AndyMumford

I leave the dynamic range on the default. Thanks for the sub by the way. Appreciated

• @Robert-wm7jk
    @Robert-wm7jk 5 лет назад

Hi, I’d like to buy this Camera. Only think what makes me a little bit confused is a step aperture (hope is good word) during filming. Can you say something about this? Many thanks in advance.

• @cybermike-exe
    @cybermike-exe 6 лет назад +2

for video accessibility, you can have the FN button become the video switch

• @AndyMumford

Ah, I didn't realise that and i've given the camera back to Fuji now

• @ukkium1
      @ukkium1 6 лет назад

On the X-E3 you can't do that unfortunately.

• @michaelwood3205
    @michaelwood3205 6 лет назад +1

What I like about the X-E3 is the geotagging capabilities. Some people don't care, but I actually use it in Lightroom searches. It's the only Fuji camera with this feature through bluetooth. My next camera will be a Fuji, but I'm keeping my full frame Sony gear.

• @AndyMumford

Good point, I never really thought about geotagging, and I expect going forward it's going to be something that more cameras and photographers make us of.

• @ttietsch
      @ttietsch 6 лет назад

But using constant bluetooth is prone for failure and will drain the mobile battery very quickly. As Fuji doesn't offer built in GPS so far I just record my walkarounds with my Garmin Fenix 5 which has a very good battery runtime and a precise track record. At home I can download the track from Garmin's portal and directly load it into Lightroom. One more click, and all photos are geotagged. The last step is a special LR plug-in, which read out geo information and write it as meta data to the image. Works great for me! Maybe I should also produce a RUclips video explaining my workflow. :-)

• @andrealivieri
    @andrealivieri 6 лет назад

Very beautiful video Andy! Pristine quality as always, topics and images/videos. Nice job my friend :) Horns up! \m/

• @AndyMumford

Thanks Andrea :-) Hope all is well with you. Is there still lots of snow on the mountains?

• @andrealivieri
      @andrealivieri 6 лет назад

Hey man, it’s all right here. Dolomites are still full of snow, much more than last year. Not bad at all, mainly for water reserves in the summer season. The famous and beautiful Sorapis Lake last year was reduced to a small puddle. In the last 3 years a lot of high altitude lakes were totally empty, and as you know is not a good thing. Fortunately this year the story should be totally different 😊

• @AndyMumford

That's good to hear. We had a similar thing here in Portugal last year with really bad drought, forest fires and lack of rain. It's back to normal now though because we had more rain in the last 6 weeks than we had all of last year. I'm still hoping to make that short break to the mountains next January, I haven't forgotten :-)

• @andrealivieri
      @andrealivieri 6 лет назад +1

I really hope to spend a few days with you here in Dolomites :) Have a nice day my friend! Cheers :)

• @acidicpetals1065
    @acidicpetals1065 6 лет назад +1

the view is amazing!

• @chantedutoit8597
    @chantedutoit8597 5 лет назад

Hi I am looking to buy a camera and I wanted to know if I am making the right choice. I really enjoy photography, taking landscapes, portraits, close ups and eventually I want to progress to taking images for people. However I don't want to be lugging around a lot of lenses so I want something that is not too big especially if I am traveling. I am not very interested in video. However I do have a bit of a budget... I have been doing a bit of research and I really like the Fuji x-T20 (which is just within my budget)... and I wanted to know if you would suggest it as a good choice.

• @snowwalker9999
    @snowwalker9999 6 лет назад +1

I wanna move to that island! Great review thanks!

• @dobrilight4698
    @dobrilight4698 5 лет назад +2

Hello!
    Of all the photos I've seen with Fuji XE3 and XT20 I have the impression that the T20 has a higher image quality. At XE3 I notice a little more noise, worse deal with dark areas, and the colors are sharper. Even if you look closely at the ISO test of DPREVIEW, it is noticeable. What do you think?

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  5 лет назад +3

There's absolutely no difference in the image quality. The cameras have the exact same sensor and image processor, so any difference is due to things like the lens and the camera settings.

• @hfranke07
    @hfranke07 5 лет назад +2

I realy love your videos.... thanks. The Drive menu is not as hard as you say. From the top "Still Image" you just have to go up one step, and you are right at the last step "Movie".... one step scroll. Easy. But you are right. The dails are just better.

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  5 лет назад

Thanks for the comment. I found that out about the drive dial kind of after using it for a while...it's funny, but I've just been using the GFX 50R for a couple of weeks (borrowed it, it's not mine) and it's the same thing with the drive mode. This time I was prepared though :-)

• @acmdv
    @acmdv 6 лет назад

Hi Andy, I used my X-T2 in Iceland & loved it. Such an easy camera to use & the image quality is great, I even walked under a waterfall with a non-WR lens (18-55 f2.8-f4) with no damage to lens or camera. I'm thinking of buying an X-H1 for my sports & video shooting because of the IBIS, have you had a look/go with one yet?

• @AndyMumford

Hi Anthony, thanks for the comment. I haven't had a chance to use the X-H1 yet, but I should be able to borrow one soon.

• @tobyhawkins
    @tobyhawkins 6 лет назад +2

Thanks a lot for this video Andy! I'm torn between the X-t20, x-e3, and x-t2 currently. Have you had any experience using either of the former in adverse weather? I'm wondering if they'd tolerate a bit of dust or light rain without having to worry (despite not being weather sealed), since buying an x-t2 purely for its weather seeking feels like quite a high cost.

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  6 лет назад +4

Hi Toby. I've used the X-T20 quite a lot in light showers and dust, as well as waterfall spray etc, and it's dealt with it all fine.

• @tobyhawkins
      @tobyhawkins 6 лет назад

Thanks for responding. That's great to hear as it makes my decision a little easier (and cheaper)! Keep up the great work with your videos. :)

• @teddyabraham3289
      @teddyabraham3289 4 года назад

@@AndyMumford What about XE3?

• @ThaiRoundhouse
    @ThaiRoundhouse 5 лет назад

Wow! Great shots! Did you have any issues with water damage or anything like that when taking pictures while it was snowing? I'm seriously thinking about getting this camera but the lack of weather sealing makes me nervous. Thanks!!

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  5 лет назад +1

I only had it for a week and I wasn't using it as my prime camera while I was in Lofoten (that was the X-T2) but it was fine when I did use it. I've also used an X-T20 extensively in some harsh conditions - it has a similar build quality to the X-E3 and it was fine.

• @robertblesse5108
    @robertblesse5108 6 лет назад +4

Thanks, Andy. I just rewatched this because I have been considering the XE3 as a backup to my X-T2. After watching your video, however, I think I might be better off with the X-T20. I shoot primarily landscape and the articulating screen and a few other things just seem to make the X-T20 a little better for my purposes. Also, you said it shoots great video. Thanks, again..

• @joshtinkering
    @joshtinkering 6 лет назад

Great video! Could you say a bit more about the EVF? What about it exactly sets you against it relative to the XT2, lens choice aside?

• @AndyMumford

Hi Joshua
      The EVF on the XT2 is much bigger, and also brighter than on the X-E3 or X-T20

• @joshtinkering
      @joshtinkering 6 лет назад

Thanks for the reply Andy! I see, maybe the XT2 would be better to switch to, coming from a DSLR. How important is the viewfinder for the shooting you do?

• @xfontan66
    @xfontan66 6 лет назад

Hi, Xavier from Barcelona. Great video. Just a question regarding this X-E3. The EVF is on the left. I am left handed and I look into the EFV with my left eye. Am I to find any ergonomic problem using this camera on that subject? Maybe should I look at the X-T20 or X-T2 to solve that problem? what do you reckon? thanks so much for any comment

• @AndyMumford

Hi Xavier. I can't really comment on whether it would provide a problem, as I now longer have the camera (I borrowed it from Fuji for the review) but I can imagine it's not as suited to left handed/sided people as your face and nose will be pressed against the camera. On the X-T20 and X-T2 the fact that the viewfinder is raised a little make this less of an issue, but the best thing to do would be to pick a camera up in the shop and see how it feels.

• @azizghanim
    @azizghanim 6 лет назад

Hi Andy,
    What are you using as a filer system (ND, CP GND) for the XT2? Thanks

• @AndyMumford

I use Lee 100mm filters. I tend to carry with my a couple of NDs (2 stop and 6 stop) and a grad (2 stop) and that covers almost everything I need.

• @AATxindurri
    @AATxindurri 5 лет назад

Great video! I want todo know your opinion, la thé X-E3 still worth it or may be look for a recent models? I'm interesting it as a second camera.

• @AndyMumford

I always preferred the XT20 and XT2 to the XE3, so my opinion would be to go with one of those or get the new XT30, which looks fantastic

• @irfansetiaputra414
      @irfansetiaputra414 3 года назад

Love x e3 xt 20 such

• @michelem.ph9559
    @michelem.ph9559 6 лет назад

Hello, Mr. Mumford, first of all I have to say that I really like your videos and I find them very interesting and helpful.
    I'm interested in Fujifilm system, but I've heard about problems to open and work in Lightroom CC (classic) with Fuji raw files.
    I'd like to know if this kind of problem influences your workflow and if the answer is yes, how did you fix this problem?
    Thank a lot for any answer you can give me.
    Congratulations for your RUclips channel.

• @AndyMumford

Hi Michele, thanks for the comment, I'm glad you like the videos. I've never had any issues opening or working on the files in Lightroom CC, and the only issue I'm aware of is people seeing artefacts appear when they apply sharpening in Lightroom. This has never affected me because my workflow has never been to apply sharpening in Lightroom - I do my processing and then only apply sharpening to the completed TIFF files at the end of the process in Photoshop, depending on whether the files are going to the web or print.

• @michelem.ph9559
      @michelem.ph9559 6 лет назад

Thank you Mr. Mumford for your kind and helpful answer. Very much appreciated! Can't wait to see new videos on your RUclips channel. Kind regards.

• @RealEstateByAlly
    @RealEstateByAlly 5 лет назад

I have the fujixe3, do you think that the xt3 would be a nice upgrade for image quality even tho the sensors are similar ?

• @AndyMumford

There's not a huge amount of difference in the sensor. You won't see much difference in the still images, but the video and AF are considerably better

• @barneyw.robinson9657
    @barneyw.robinson9657 6 лет назад

Andy, I believe the X-Pro2 and the X-E series cameras were geared more towards street photography. It would seem that the form factor and standard features would be perfect for that style of shooting. I agree that it could be a great backup camera for landscapes and would be even better with an articulating screen. Here's hoping Fujifilm hears our wishes and adds one to the next X-E iteration. Great photos and video as always. I'll be looking forward to the next one. Cheers!

• @AndyMumford

Thanks Barney. That appears to be the case with Fuji's rangefinder style cameras, and it's one reason why I'll stick with my X-T2/X-T20 combo for landscapes

• @FoxPhoto67
      @FoxPhoto67 6 лет назад +1

I use the flip up screen all the time for street. It means shooting from the hip discretely. For me, it makes the X-T20 a better street camera :)

• @azzamur
    @azzamur 4 года назад +1

Good comparison.

• @AndyMumford

Thanks so much, glad you found it useful

• @henrysiegertsz8204
    @henrysiegertsz8204 3 года назад +1

I've never had a problem with the Battery cover opening inadvertently, what is a big annoyance is the location of the Battery/ Card being on the bottom.
    Why, oh why, doesn't Fuji put the Battery access on the side of the body instead?

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  3 года назад

Indeed it's an odd thing that they do it like that. Maybe it's cheaper to make fewer doors..who knows. I also think we're at a point where every camera should have 2 card slots, not just the top of the line cameras

• @allenschneider1847
    @allenschneider1847 4 года назад

I can't believe fugi doesn't have a rangefinder camera with interchangeable lenses and a articulating screen. If they would put the screen from the x100v on the xpro3 my dream camera would have arrived. Maybe in the xpro4!!!

• @johannarosberg3863
    @johannarosberg3863 5 лет назад

Hi Andy! Thanks for a great video, I have a X-T10 with the 35 F.2 and Im thinking about upgrading. I was looking at the X-T20 since I mainly shoot street but I wonder if the X-E3 is a better choice? Or should I be looking for something different, like X-T2 or X-T3 although they are bigger? I love the 35 F.2 but what would you recommend for a second lens? Thanks again for the great content!

• @AndyMumford

Hi Johanna, thanks for the comment...glad you liked the video. I'd prefer the X-T20 over the X-E3 as I think it feels better in the hand. With regards to the X-T2/3, it depends on how you feel about the body size of the X-T10. Do you find the dials and controls too small or fiddly...if so, then you might prefer the larger size of the X-T2, but if you're happy with the X-T10 then you'll love the X-T20 as it has exactly the same image quality as the X-T2 in a smaller package.
      For a second lens, if you want a prime I'd say either the 16mm or the 23mm depending on how wide you like to shoot street photography with. Both wonderful lenses.

• @johannarosberg3863
      @johannarosberg3863 5 лет назад

Thank you so much for the help! Keep up the good work and great content! @@AndyMumford

• @aimansuhaimi5026
    @aimansuhaimi5026 6 лет назад

Hello Andy, great work ! I love your landscape so much. Would you mind share your in built camera settings for landscape or is it just factory setting with only film simulations? thank you !

• @AndyMumford

Hi Aiman. I shoot in RAW and edit in Lightroom. I've gone over my editing process in this video a little ruclips.net/video/M4OXoL4tgFI/видео.html&pbjreload=10

• @davidcollins4227
    @davidcollins4227 3 года назад +1

Excellent video Andy, I’ve just purchased an XE3 for travel. How does it compare image quality to the Nikon D7200? Also , Is lightroom good for editing, as I’ve heard on Fuji X trans , that they give a mushy foliage in landscape shoots where lots of trees foliage etc in the scene? Thanks

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  3 года назад +1

I've never used the D7200, so I really can't compare. I use Lightroom for my editing, although Capture One will give you better results

• @Vliegende-Hollander
      @Vliegende-Hollander 2 года назад +1

I just changed from a Nikon D7200 to a Fuji X-E 3. If you want I can share my experience/comparison.

• @davidcollins4227
      @davidcollins4227 2 года назад

@@Vliegende-Hollander yes please , if you will .

• @abelpereira2110
    @abelpereira2110 6 лет назад

Hello Andy, I’m looking for small and light (X-E3 + kit lens), plus the 10-24. To minimize the balance aspect with this zoom, maybe to add the l-bracket. Hoping this would still keep the set smaller and lighter than the X-T2. Do you think it will work? Both hand held and using tripod? Thanks!

• @AndyMumford

Hi Abel
      I think it would certainly work, although the weight difference wouldn't be that much and personally I think the X-T2 is worth it for the bigger and better EVF, tilting screen and dual cards.

• @abelpereira2110
      @abelpereira2110 6 лет назад

Thanks a lot for your reply, Andy.

• @shankar4510
    @shankar4510 6 лет назад

Hi again . What do you think is cheapest fujifilm for a video?

• @AndyMumford

I think that the X-T20 is probably the cheapest video camera that provides excellent quality in the Fuji line up

• @herb0321
    @herb0321 4 года назад +1

I sold my Sony a6000 recently and wanna jump ship to the Fujifilm camp cuz hey who doesn't love dials am I right? I saw in a review that the reviewer wasn't to happy with the evf delay when putting their eye up to the evf. Is this really an issue? Any advice is appreciated!

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  4 года назад +1

I can't say I've ever noticed a delay with the EVF.

• @olivierfichantfilms8614
    @olivierfichantfilms8614 4 года назад

Hi, which model is the equivalent of the XE3 in the XT 3 and 30 generation?

• @AndyMumford

There actually isn't one...I wonder if Fuji will get around to releasing one

• @marklong691
    @marklong691 5 лет назад

Hi Andy, great video as always. I'm thinking of getting the X-E3 and a couple of vintage lenses as my 2nd Fuji X camera, is this something that you've tried out or would consider?

• @AndyMumford

Hi there. No, I haven't used any vintage lenses with it...it'll probably work really great, the focus peaking works extremely well with manual focus lenses.

• @smalltalk.productions9977
    @smalltalk.productions9977 6 лет назад

thank you for the effort and the sharing. i am very intrigued by the seemingly outstanding image quality from the fujis. unfortunately, i have read/watched more than several reviews talking about the fujis not being very durable and in fact, needing to be sent to fuji for annoying repairs. have all of your fujis been reliable? lastly, i REALLY need to comment on the drone footage-absolutely STUNNING! thumbs up.

• @AndyMumford

Thanks for the comment, glad you liked the video. I've used the Fujis for almost 3 years now in some pretty harsh environments. In this video it got covered in snow, and its had numerous waves dumped on it when I've been shooting at the coast. I've not had any problems with resilience.

• @dennischan6890
    @dennischan6890 5 лет назад

Hi Andy, I own an xe3 as well, just wondering if it works in snow and such low temperature? And is it okay when you shoot in such a cold weather and then get back in place with heater?

• @AndyMumford

Hi Dennis, I don't actually own an XE-3, I just borrowed it for this video, but we had some pretty cold temperatures in Lofoten, down to -10C and the camera never had any problems at all

• @dennischan6890
      @dennischan6890 5 лет назад

@@AndyMumford thanks so much

• @glacieractivity
      @glacieractivity 5 лет назад

I live in Norway - and minus 30 is not unusual (but nobody is out with camera gear then as standing still with the tripod is a no-go).
      The xe3 (and T20/T30) are not weather sealed. Now - one should treat every camera as if it is made out of mesh (perhaps except the pro Nikons).
      What is important to notice is that these mid-range cameras are more prone to condensation. The old zipped plastic bag keeps this in check. But I would not recommend jumping in and out of a car multiple times. (it is not so much the cold itself that is the problem - it is variations in temperature and humidity that is the big killer).
      If you plan on exposing your camera to a lot of "environment" I would suggest you look for the XT2 that now can be picked up new at a comparable price (especially used). (For pure photography I do not see much benefit in the XT3 tbh). But remember - if that it is an issue, you should also consider to get weather-sealed lenses too.

• @sylviamarak1012
    @sylviamarak1012 6 лет назад

i am stuck in your website as i found myself bewildered with your works. I feel as i am not fully opening my eyes before seeing your photos. I m a video person as well as still and couldnt decide which one to go the xt2 or xh1. For video and touch screen i bend towards xh1 but financial limitations pull me towards xt2 which i also found the portraits shot with xt2 stunning. i m really confused can you suggest me sir. i am also a 4k lover.

• @AndyMumford

In terms of image quality there's no difference at all between the two cameras. The next firmware update will give the X-T2 f log in video and 120fps at full HD so the video performance will be the same. That means the XH1 just has IBIS and touch screen. Personally, I prefer the X-T2 as I like the smaller size and don't need IBIS or touch screen, but it really depends on how important those factors are.

• @sylviamarak1012
      @sylviamarak1012 6 лет назад

Thank you sir. Thats a relief. I always love the xt2 body and how it look on somebody's hand. Now i decided which one to go. Your channel is worth the subscribe.

• @shankar4510
    @shankar4510 6 лет назад

hi what gears you use with xt-20 or xt2 for those smooth drone kind of videos?

• @AndyMumford

The camera shots were all done handheld and stabilised in Adobe Premiere Pro using the Warp Stabiliser. The time-lapse at the end were just on a tripod.

• @shankar4510
      @shankar4510 6 лет назад

I wonder how you shot those footage from 5:44 to 6:04 handheld. Would you make a video on how you shoot your footage?

• @AndyMumford

You just need to hold the camera really steady when you move it, press your elbows into your sides and don't move your arms, move your whole body. Then add A LOT of warp stabiliser in Adobe Premiere to stabilise the footage.

• @MsKathangel
      @MsKathangel 6 лет назад

Please make a tutorial about this technic

• @ronit007ism
    @ronit007ism 5 лет назад

How good is the autofocus during the video ?

• @AndyMumford

It's OK, not amazing. The new X-T30 is much better.

• @bernie_xj
    @bernie_xj 3 года назад

Thanks for your Video on the X-E3 and also for your Videos on what´s in your bag... I have moved on from Nikon D750, DSLR with my beloved AF-D Zooms - 2,8/20-35, 35-70 and 80-200 which I have bought in 1990ies and am still using - to Fuji. They don´t seem to like me at Nikon any more, since Nikon Z doesn´t really seem to be for me because they skipped support of my bag full of lenses. So here I am, Fuji offered a very good deal on the X-E3 at present and I paired it with the XF10-24/4 but what´s next? My wife has got an X-E2s - which I am not even allowed to touch because it was her way back into digital still photography - and it´s actually paired with two lenses, the low-weight XC16-50 and XC50-230mm Zooms. For going out ligth in the street during evenings we´ve got the little pancake lense XF27/2,8 also. Do you have any thoughts or have you been able to test Fujis recent XF16-80/4 zoom lens? Im am thinking about this lens as an alternative to the XF55-200 you are using and then keep the XC50-230 for the very few occasion we really need the long end...? Thanks Andy, your views will be much appreciated, Bernd

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  3 года назад

Thanks so much for the comment Bernd, glad you enjoyed the video and are enjoying the Fuji system. With the 16-80mm, I've heard it's a good lens, and at some point I may test it out, but I don't really use mid range zooms much in my photography and as this isn't wide enough for me (I shoot a lot in the 10-12mm area, nor long enough (again, a lot of landscapes around the 100mm mark) it wouldn't replace any of my lenses and would just be something extra to carry on the rare occasions when I need something between 24mm and 55mm. Sorry I can't be more help

• @bernie_xj
      @bernie_xj 3 года назад

@@AndyMumford Thanks Andi for your reply, we´ll try the 16-80 out since I was able to buy one this from a product photographer who moved on from Fuji to Olympus micro 4/3 allededly because of the better flash light support of that system. So here I am now, the 10-24 and 16-80 are almost the same in terms of weight and also balance, you don´t notice a shift in balance even at 80mm. I´ll checked my full frame fotos and it looks like that about 90% of my photography is beetween 20 and 120mm (35mm full frame). My wife has got the XC-Zoom lenses 16-50 & 50-230mm, so in case I have to go longer I will borrow from their if I am allowed to... When we are not happy with the XC50-230mm in terms aperture or lens quality, we´ll turn it in for the 55-200mm which I understand should deliver a better image quality although the 50-230mm is not bad at all even shooting handheld since it is very light. The downside here obviously is, it´s not fast at all.

• @laurentcasado6968
    @laurentcasado6968 6 лет назад

such a beautiful place ... where is that ?

• @AndyMumford

Thanks Laurent. It's filmed in the Lofoten Islands in northern Norway.

• @SoowDeJu
    @SoowDeJu 6 лет назад

Does the recording limit bother you on the fuji cameras?

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  6 лет назад +2

Not really, because as soon as the camera reaches the limit it stops and then immediately starts again, and the transition is seamless. You can put the two clips together in editing and the break between the two clips is impossible to see. Just to give an example, it happened while I was shooting this video. At 5.21, just after I said "advantage" the camera reached it's recording limit (I'd done lots of retakes and left the camera running earlier) and then started a new recording before I said "and overall it's a lot of fun to use". The transition is seamless.
      There are jumps in this video, but they're cuts where I've edited out errors and bits where I've hesitated, and not where the recording limit has been reached.

• @SoowDeJu
      @SoowDeJu 6 лет назад

Andy Mumford i didn't know it worked in that way, thanks!

• @SoowDeJu
      @SoowDeJu 6 лет назад

Andy Mumford is it the same on the x-t20 by the way?

• @KnuckleDragger42069
    @KnuckleDragger42069 6 лет назад

is the xt2's EVF better than the XE3?

• @AndyMumford

Yes, the X-T2's EVF is much bigger and brighter.

• @SummerDesireINA
    @SummerDesireINA 6 лет назад +7

I hope I could move that joystick to my xt20...

• @AndyMumford

Yes, it's a pity they don't put the joystick on all the bodies to be honest

• @MrKikoboy
    @MrKikoboy 6 лет назад +12

Why are the latest generation photographers so afraid of pure black in an image? When I look at classic photographs esp. BW there is a range from pure white to total black - and it works very well...but it seems that those are not allowed anymore by the photo police....I'm trying to figure out when that law was passed....

• @achristenson11
      @achristenson11 6 лет назад +3

MrKikoboy No one has anything against pure black, but when a camera renders pure black in an image, that usually means it lacks in dynamic range and hence less of detail. When I say loss of detail, I mean that you would not be able to bring out the shadows in those areas because the camera saw everything as pure black.

• @AndyMumford
      @AndyMumford  6 лет назад +4

I'm not quite sure I qualify as being among "the latest generation of photographers" since I started in the 1980s, but as Alex below said, it's not about being afraid of blacks in images. I'll often drop shadows to black when I'm shooting street photography, here's an example from a recent workshop static1.squarespace.com/static/5852ece3e6f2e1ac624051fb/t/59c43de4f09ca45e6225cb5d/1506033130449/Alfama.jpg?format=2500w However, dynamic range and a camera's ability to capture detail in the shadows is important and is a valid metric for evaluating image quality, particularly in landscape photography where scenes with a high dynamic range are common.

• @Vinterloft
      @Vinterloft 3 года назад

You don't want to *never* use black, but you definitely *always* want to recover detail if you were unlucky to underexpose.

• @ArifKhan.
    @ArifKhan. 6 лет назад +1

@11:03 did he just walk into a picture? lol amazing scenery and captures!

• @AndyMumford

Uhm, that's actually me :-)

• @ArifKhan.
      @ArifKhan. 6 лет назад +1

that's what I mean....the frame is so beautiful that it looked like a picture for a second, until you walked into it. Then I realised it was a video. lol

• @eddieo9195
      @eddieo9195 6 лет назад

I thought the same thing... amazing imagery.

• @capturerlinstant6056
    @capturerlinstant6056 6 лет назад +1

Since a few days, there are a lot of articles about the XE3 that are coming out. This box is a commercial failure for fujifilm, that's why... Personally I like this little box, but it's starting to show that fujifilm is trying to sell it

• @AndyMumford

I can't speak for other videos, nor do I know anything about sales of the X-E3, but for your comment to be true it would mean that Fuji asked me to make the video, which isn't the case. I actually approached Fuji and asked if I could borrow the camera as I've been asked about it a lot since I reviewed the X-T2 and X-T2. Fuji agreed but had no input into the content and also didn't make any request that I say positive things in the video. I stated quite clearly that I preferred the X-T20 (because of the control layout and articulating screen), although I do think the X-E3 is an excellent camera.

• @stephan2176
    @stephan2176 5 лет назад

Im beginner wich one will be better? Thabks

• @AndyMumford

The two cameras are very similar in terms of shooting specs so the best will be whichever feels more comfortable when you hold it in your hand.

• @stephan2176
      @stephan2176 5 лет назад

@@AndyMumford i see..ok but if i cant try them ?

• @glacieractivity
      @glacieractivity 5 лет назад

This is the beautiful issue of no rights and no wrongs.
      You will have to shoot and shoot on either camera to build up your muscle-memory of where the nobs and buttons are. But they are both intuitive in how they operate. Set ISO - aperture on your lens, shutter speed on top. Exp-comp to the right. And the quality in both are as good as the XT2 pro-model.

• @satyak1337
    @satyak1337 5 лет назад

Canon M50 vs XE3 vs xt20 ?

• @AndyMumford

I don't know about the Canon as I've never used it, and it really depends on what you want to use it for, but of the two Fuji cameras I prefer the XT20

• @geraldhemming
    @geraldhemming 6 лет назад

So disappointed that the X-E3 doesn't have a flip screen, it doesn't look as good as the X-E1/2 either imo. Shame.

• @AndyMumford

It is disappointing about the flip screen, but why do you think it doesn't look as good as the X-E1 and 2

• @geraldhemming
      @geraldhemming 6 лет назад +1

Compare the top plate of the cameras Andy, the X-E1/2 have a classic look to my eye whereas the X-E3 has been dumbed down somehow, tidied up, and not in a good way. Then compare the back of the cameras, the X-E1/2 have character, the X-E3 on the other hand looks like a compact camera. I guess it comes down to what you are used to, the X-E1 was my first serious camera, I was so looking forward to the release of the X-E3 but when it finally arrived I was hugely disappointed. In the end I bought another X-E1, just in case something happened to the first one, and an X-M1 for the flip screen. We all see things differently, this is just my personal opinion, nothing more.