How to replace the fan in a Lenovo T410

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 11 сен 2024
  • If you get a fan error when trying to start a Lenovo T410 laptop PC then this video shows the steps to replace the fan. You can buy a new fan from Ebay.
    Make a note of where you remove the screws from as they are a variety of lengths. There are probably some screws on the bottom that I didn't need to remove.
    Disclaimer: In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the guidance contained in this video.
    Tips: when putting the top cover back on make sure it is clipped down all the way around the edge.
    If the keyboard doesn't slide back check that there isn't a wire trapped under it at the bottom left.

Комментарии • 59

• @Theghostescapes
    @Theghostescapes 3 года назад +2

I've been a computer tech for 28+ years. You did an excellent job performing the procedure and showing how it's done. I don't know how we ever functioned without youtube, let alone the internet. Thank you for an awesome job!

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  3 года назад +2

Thanks! I've got 10 of them to maintain and made the video so I could remember how to change the fan. Then I thought it might be useful on RUclips. Of course it should be on an anti-static pad and I should have a wrist strap.

• @MartiniComedian
      @MartiniComedian 2 года назад

@@DavidPeck-DP What's an anti-static pad and wrist strap? What are they for?

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  2 года назад +1

@@MartiniComedian you can build up static electricity on your body, especially if you have nylon carpets and when you touch the electronic components inside the laptop you could discharge that static electricity and blow some components. Ideally you should put the laptop on an anti-static pad and wear a wrist strap that discharges any static electricity from your body before you touch the laptop internals. In practice what I do is to touch something metal that I know is electrically earthed before I start work. In this case I touched the metal screw of a light switch that I knew was earthed inside.

• @MartiniComedian
      @MartiniComedian 2 года назад

@@DavidPeck-DP Is wearing latex gloves any helpful?

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  2 года назад +1

@@MartiniComedian there's a risk that static electricity can build up on the latex gloves, unless they are specifically anti-static. Here is a really helpful guide: pcbuildsonabudget.com/do-you-need-to-wear-gloves-while-building-your-pc

• @foxytri2461
    @foxytri2461 3 года назад +1

Thank you! Your clear video made it easy to access the fan, I used compressed air to remove the dust and now it is working perfectly again! A $5 fix!

• @DavidPeck-DP
    @DavidPeck-DP  4 года назад +4

I have replaced the hard disk with an SSD drive and it really improves the speed.

• @jmemusic
    @jmemusic Год назад

Good that I found this video. On the manual from Lenovo it is written that you have to completely remove the Display. I'm happy to see that it is not necessary

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  Год назад

Yes that is good.

• @jmemusic
      @jmemusic Год назад

@@DavidPeck-DP 3:03 -> Now I know why Lenovo recommends to remove the display assembly as well. It is not easy to remove the head sink if you don't do it. You will have to force it and you could damage something, so, I guess it is better to do it as Lenovo says.
      I did it your way and I had troubles removing and inserting the fan back again.

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  Год назад

@@jmemusic I've done the job on a few T410s and I've not had a problem removing the fan. Maybe there are slightly different versions around?

• @jmemusic
      @jmemusic Год назад

@@DavidPeck-DP Not a problem, but you really need to force the fan a little bit, then you can get it out

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  Год назад

@@jmemusic yes I guess that's true. It is a tight fit under the display assembly.

• @user-gr4hk7yc6v
    @user-gr4hk7yc6v 5 лет назад +6

To preserve the screws and fix their locations, you can use double-sided tape pasted on a piece of corrugated cardboard.

• @ChocChipSecurity
    @ChocChipSecurity 3 года назад +2

Very much my experience, too. One thing I would remark though: Be VERY careful when lifting the keyboard and keyboard bezel. Those ribbon cables can crack and tear with too much strain. And yes - the screws needed to release the keyboard are marked, but you need to undo most of the screws to release the bezel, too.

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  3 года назад

Thanks for those tips. Really helpful!

• @lukasbruderlin2723
      @lukasbruderlin2723 Год назад

there are basically 3 screws that you don't need to take out: (a) the 2 bigger ones on the very top (these are for the lid mount) and (b) the one below right side of the opening (I guess main board).

• @cartnhorse
    @cartnhorse 5 лет назад +1

Excellent video well done!
    I decided however that it was more efficient to buy a replacement T410 for £150 and swap my SSD into the new one.

• @mbigras
    @mbigras 4 года назад

Thanks for showing where you put your stuff!

• @DaniloAbbate
    @DaniloAbbate 6 лет назад +1

good video! I did look at some other videos before finding this one, but they were not this clear. Thanks

• @szaki
    @szaki 6 лет назад +15

You forgot to apply new thermal paste to the CPU/Heat sink!

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  6 лет назад

szaki a good point thanks.

• @jameswaddell3348
      @jameswaddell3348 Год назад +1

First thing i noticed when he started putting the heat sink back in place!! Could be a costly mistake!!

• @AsinineFilms
    @AsinineFilms 2 года назад

Very helpful. Thanks.

• @AronMih
    @AronMih 2 года назад

problemo solved thanks mister 🐧

• @guyfawkes62
    @guyfawkes62 2 года назад

Did you forget to reconnect the touchpad? Also...didn't add cpu thermal paste? Otherwise, very good video. Thank you.

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  2 года назад

Thanks for asking, the touch pad did work afterwards, so I must have reconnected it. Yes it would have been better to add CPU thermal paste, but it has worked fine without any extra.

• @iamserco
    @iamserco 6 лет назад

Thank you for the video.
    Please tell me which cooler is installed in Lenovo T410?
    You have an excellent watch on your hand, what kind of model is it? )) Seriously, interestingly

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  6 лет назад

Sergii Kokhas the fan is 45M2721 and you can get it on eBay. The watch is by Police ruclips.net/video/Vz0R6Vo-7ig/видео.html thank you for the compliment.

• @thevoid2733
    @thevoid2733 5 лет назад

I used to have a T410 Then i got a T430s is it a SSD OR HDD

• @kevin.afton_
    @kevin.afton_ 4 года назад

You dont have a hole for the heatsink on the side just like me on my B50. Stupid design, it keeps the heat inside. I think I will cut a hole in the plastic.

• @TinaRice4
    @TinaRice4 4 года назад

I'm replacing the entire fan assembly. The directions I see is that the rubber pads have a peel off film that needs to be removed. I see the rubber pads but don't see or feel any film to remove from the rubber pads. Anyone have any enlightening words for me? TY!

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  4 года назад +1

I'm not sure where the rubber pads are that you are referring to?

• @TinaRice4
      @TinaRice4 4 года назад

@@DavidPeck-DP Thanks David! It's all good. Since the new part came with thermal paste and I didn't have to apply any I figured that the film had already been removed. Got the new fan installed a couple of days ago! The rubber pads were in the vicinity of the heat sink. Thanks for your time and your very helpful video! So happy to have my laptop back!

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  4 года назад +1

@@TinaRice4 that's great news.

• @TinaRice4
      @TinaRice4 4 года назад

@@DavidPeck-DP Thank You!!!!

• @lstangova3
    @lstangova3 4 года назад

I didnt see the part you took off the mouse pad thing off do i just take it off

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  4 года назад

Yes you have to prise off the whole keyboard surround and track pad (mouse pad) and it isn't easy. You have to be careful because there is a bit that gets caught on the right side. And then you have to unplug the track pad cable. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

• @karolinapakostova1071
    @karolinapakostova1071 2 года назад

could anyone advice whether after "removing" the (aluminium?) tape between the fan and its holder, do I need to apply the new one? does that affect somehow the later performance? thanks!

• @DavidPeck-DP

I just used the same one.

• @karolinapakostova4264
      @karolinapakostova4264 2 года назад

@@DavidPeck-DP well, i mean if I remove that one:D
      Thanks!

• @DavidPeck-DP

@@karolinapakostova4264 I don't know if it affects the performance if you remove the tape, but I would guess it does. You can buy self adhesive aluminium tape on eBay for insulation if you need some.

• @karolinapakostova1071
      @karolinapakostova1071 2 года назад

@@DavidPeck-DP thanks! ordered..

• @pcchannel6294
    @pcchannel6294 5 лет назад

What's the songs of the video btw nice video?

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  5 лет назад

Thanks, sorry I don't remember what the song is and cannot find it.

• @easytodigest9574
    @easytodigest9574 4 года назад

Hello sir
    Where can purchase this fan

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  4 года назад

I buy them from eBay, they come from China. Search for T410 fan.

• @odaylateef5646
    @odaylateef5646 5 лет назад

شكرا

• @thevoid2733
    @thevoid2733 5 лет назад +2

Guys if the screws dont screw on it may be in the wrong place

• @DavidPeck-DP
      @DavidPeck-DP  5 лет назад +3

You are right, the screws are different lengths so you have to keep a record of which screw goes where. I did that with a rough drawing on a piece of paper and placing the screws carefully on it, but I am sure there are better ways?

• @thevoid2733
    @thevoid2733 5 лет назад

instead of buying a new one you can just clean it

• @thevoid2733
      @thevoid2733 5 лет назад

@@SJRofficialmusic A noisy fan can be caused by either the fan being clogged up with dirt (not dust) and debris or that the fan's bearing may be giving out or that the blade within fans housing has broken and/or brushing up against the housing.