Review: IBM ThinkPad T60

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 27 окт 2024
  • НаукаНаука

Комментарии • 78

• @skchen83
    @skchen83 10 лет назад

Glad you did this. My spare machine is a T60p that's had a number of previous owners before coming to me and it's still a very solid computer. I'm about to pass it on to one of my students after I upgrade the processor to a C2D from the original T2400.

• @smittywerbenjagermanjensen3648
    @smittywerbenjagermanjensen3648 6 лет назад +1

I love my Thinkpad, runs all my favorite childhood games, smoothly emulates anything from the nintendo ds to the dreamcast, and can properly run windows 7-10 with no lag or glitches!!

• @UNOxDExELLOS
      @UNOxDExELLOS 5 лет назад +1

Your Thinkpad T60 can run Dreamcast games??

• @constantinos1516
    @constantinos1516 8 лет назад

Thanks for the review, Jack. I need a spare laptop for secondary purposes, so a used one is a good option. Your review was very helpful, especially the part regarding ease of typing and battery life.

• @jakealonsoflynn-evans4040
    @jakealonsoflynn-evans4040 10 лет назад +2

That resolution is almost 1080p!
    WOW!

• @Brax1982
      @Brax1982 9 лет назад

??? It's almost 1080 horizontal lines, that's all?

• @televisionandcheese
      @televisionandcheese 8 лет назад

+iMinecraftBuilder Some of them were higher then 1080p!
      My T61 has a 1920x1200 resolution screen! :)

• @nelizmastr
      @nelizmastr 8 лет назад

I had a T60 with a 2048x1536 display about two years ago. The machine was so slow because of that lol. It couldn't push all those pixels at all. The display was "borrowed" from a Dell Precision.

• @DarkKar
    @DarkKar 7 лет назад

I think I'm in love with that keyboard.

• @Brycereigle2000
    @Brycereigle2000 9 лет назад

Good youtuber! Ive seen you on Ryan gehret and Manley's videos haha. Im getting my second one of these today, and i wanted to refresh myself on the Specs, so the first video i saw was yours when i searched! I enjoyed! :D

• @xxRafaelProductions
    @xxRafaelProductions 8 лет назад

Wow memories, I still have this t60 and I am currently typing on this lenovo thinkpad t420 which was a 2011 model. Thinkpad rules!

• @JackStavris
      @JackStavris  8 лет назад

+EvilChief Productions I own a T420 myself, it's a great machine.

• @xxRafaelProductions

Ikr, thinkpad rules right? Also macbooks rule too!

• @JackStavris
      @JackStavris  8 лет назад

+EvilChief Productions Okay, you just ruined this comment thread with that MacBook remark.

• @xxRafaelProductions

Oh sorry, I meant macbook pro, not macbook, macbook blows.

• @JackStavris
      @JackStavris  8 лет назад +1

+EvilChief Productions I personally think all modern day Apple computers are shitty. Not because they're Apple, but because they charge much higher prices for the same components that are in Windows-based PCs, they lack any real upgradibility and Apple's warranty service and customer support is so god awful that I'd rather shove a rusty knife up my own ass than deal with them. No, I'm not saying this because I can't afford one, in fact I could buy a halfway decent Mac right now if I wanted to, however I simply choose not to own a Mac because I don't think they're worth it. That's great if you're happy with your MacBook, if it works it's good, however they're not to my taste and I personally don't like them and I don't like dealing with clients who need them serviced. They're too much time and effort for me and I don't want to deal with a company who simply doesn't give a fuck about their users.

• @jamieostrowski4447
    @jamieostrowski4447 10 лет назад

The T60's come with three different keyboards, the Chicony, ALPS, and NMB. The ALPS keyboards are nice and tactile, the NMB are also, but are rare. The Chicony keys are not as good - more mushy, but still not bad. They all look the same when they're installed. You can only tell for sure which one you have by looking at them from the side. I like the clicky t60 keyboards! Sounds like this one has one.

• @yppat
    @yppat 9 лет назад +1

Hi, I have this laptop but do not have the fingerprint scanner. I have 2 G of Ram in it. I was going to try a Linux distro on it. Any recommendations on a a Linux distro?

• @EyrthWyrmJym
    @EyrthWyrmJym 11 лет назад +1

This can be upgraded to a Core 2 Duo? Then do it. You will have the advantage of x64 OSes.

• @TheMiniNinja14
    @TheMiniNinja14 11 лет назад

I use to have a T60, and it was a very good laptop. Nice review

• @dekksherton6824
    @dekksherton6824 10 лет назад +1

FYI that GPU actually is using 512MB video memory, it includes internal 128MB plus the shared system memory.

• @Niklas56960
    @Niklas56960 11 лет назад +1

Ich liebe deine videos!!

• @johnwilkinson7098
    @johnwilkinson7098 10 лет назад +1

thank you i love my t60 it was given to me and im the second owner of this machine this is faster than my brothers new hp by far also looks brand new so i thank you again for your very informative video

• @derekfrost8991
    @derekfrost8991 7 лет назад +1

The t60 rocks :)

• @irfanatoro
    @irfanatoro 7 лет назад

Nice review, thank you… I will buy Lenovo T60 laptop, look good…

• @a.lawrence4969
    @a.lawrence4969 10 лет назад +1

The T60 and T61 are both good machines. My T60 is running Windows 8 and in the second hard drive (replaced the CD/DVD drive) I have Linux. The T60 is ab 32bt computer so only 3gb RAM. Decent screen and solid build. You can find them for under $100.00 on Ebay.

• @JackStavris
      @JackStavris  10 лет назад

Actually, if you upgrade the T60 to a Core 2 Duo processor it will support 64-bit Operating Systems. Also, it does support 4GB of RAM, because the CPU has a Physical Address Extension.

• @a.lawrence4969
      @a.lawrence4969 10 лет назад

I wouldn't want to do that and I doubt many here would. You can place 4gb in the T60 but a 32bt system only uses 3gb. Not that you're wrong but just buy a T61 and get a 64bt OS.

• @JackStavris
      @JackStavris  10 лет назад

A. Lawrence Some T60s came with Core 2 Duos, probably because they were made late in the lifecycle of the machine. You'd be surprised how many people I've actually had to upgrade their laptops from a Core Solo/Duo to a Core 2 Duo.

• @Gameboygenius
      @Gameboygenius 9 лет назад

+Jack Stavris Actually, the limit is 3 GB for the 945 chipset. Since this is a chipset limittion, it applies regardless of PAE and the bitness of the CPU. A weak spot of many laptops of the era.

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

I somewhat agree.
    I do prefer the pre 2010 models.
    I myself own a T500 and I love it beyond believe.
    And I like it more than my older T20 and my older T43p.
    It IS build better - people who say different are just haters.
    Lenovo also introduced the FULL rollcage system.
    But I also own a X131e which is a late 2012 model.
    I cannot say that it is bad - better than any acer aspire and better than my dell d820. I would say that Lenovo ThinkPads are still ahead in quality.

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

And just because the E6400 is AVAILABLE with the Quadro which is known to fail due to bad bumping material doesn't mean yours has it. (be glad it doesn't) the T60 is also available with the X1400 and even a Fire GL V5250 (T60p). And I do not know if you have EVER owned an actual Lenovo ThinkPad but to me it sounds like you just repeat what all the haters are saying on the web.

• @obfuscated3090
    @obfuscated3090 9 лет назад

Visit the Thinkpad Forums, and check out some Frankenpads where the advantages of T60s (4:3 screen, great keyboard, in some cases exceptional displays) are enhance by a motherboard upgrade from a T61 and other mods.

• @KermitFrogMeepRadio
    @KermitFrogMeepRadio 9 лет назад +1

looking to get either one of these T60's with a core duo or maybe a T410 with i5. just doing internet work and podcasts, any input?

• @Brycereigle2000

T60 probably, if you want a really comfortable widescreen- T410. Actually no, T410 because it'll be MUCH more reliable.

• @KermitFrogMeepRadio
      @KermitFrogMeepRadio 9 лет назад

thanks for the reply, I went ahead and got the T60, not bad for what Im doing. When the sale rolls back around ill be picking up a 410, for the processing power and the ram. the 60 for now is doing everything I ask and more

• @skchen83
    @skchen83 10 лет назад +1

...forgot to mention that it runs Windows 7 very well with an SSD in it.

• @EyrthWyrmJym
    @EyrthWyrmJym 11 лет назад

So then do a RAM upgrade when you can do the C2D upgrade.

• @nationalnationalism8885
    @nationalnationalism8885 8 лет назад

those damb ibm thinkpad keyboards can last forever yesterday i was on a thinpad from 2000 and its keyboard felt brand new

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

Get a T61 with a intel graphics chip - the NVidia ones are prone to premature failure due to a manufacturing defect.
    Same goes to the E6400 - the NVidia may fail early
    I recommend a T400/T500

• @apotheque
    @apotheque 11 лет назад

How's the battery life?

• @Rubijoyal
    @Rubijoyal 10 лет назад

I have a t60 and im taking it to microcenter and getting it upgraded

• @DuranMedine
    @DuranMedine 11 лет назад

I noticed some Dell laptops they metal hinges because one Dell I serviced had them when I was replacing some the broken cable and the plastic parts

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

glad you understand

• @Leibo07
    @Leibo07 7 лет назад +2

your voice is quite like frank zappa's.

• @born2biscuit
    @born2biscuit 5 лет назад

can anyone confirm if sims 2 runs on these comfortably pls

• @apartmentinvestingforbeginners
    @apartmentinvestingforbeginners 9 лет назад +2

Brutally honest. lol. But nice video

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

this T60 eats your E6400 for breakfast as desert

• @AidanXPWindows
    @AidanXPWindows 9 лет назад

I have a ThinkPad T410 runs Windows 7.

• @EyrthWyrmJym

It could. Windows 8 is very buggy.

• @TUB3CLIPS
    @TUB3CLIPS 11 лет назад

het got a point though - I don't think you can compare anything else to think pads....and I am not a fanboy - I just think that they are better - I am using 1 at work and man - if I could afford one I would get one

• @AriLovesChanel
    @AriLovesChanel 10 лет назад +1

can it take the sims 3???

• @AriLovesChanel
      @AriLovesChanel 10 лет назад

I need to know because I might be getting one for the sims 3. Someone please help.
      on my pc it crashes all the time. So im trying to find a new one. If you could help that would be great. Thanks!

• @Brycereigle2000

AriLovesChanel Yes

• @born2biscuit
      @born2biscuit 5 лет назад

did you ever find out if the sims 3 runs on this? I want to get one for sims 2

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

This ThinkPad has a dedicated video chip which is by far superior to it's Intel 960/965 counterpart.
    Name me 1 thing the E6400 can do that this ThinkPad can't do.
    And your response tells me that you judge the computer only by it's specs.
    The build quality of this T60 is so much more superior to the E6400....it's like comparing Chinese and German engineering.

• @jaredfix9273
    @jaredfix9273 8 лет назад +1

Windows 10 is compatible

• @tsomo4
    @tsomo4 11 лет назад

the laptop was specifically build for my granny was my thoughts for the laptop all the time. coz it would have been great for people who are over 50. the fingerprint thing and all.

• @JackStavris
      @JackStavris  11 лет назад +8

It was built for a business environment, not someone's "granny". Get your facts straight. Just because it ain't a flashy colorful plastic piece of shit like most modern laptops, it doesn't mean it's bad.

• @tsomo4
      @tsomo4 11 лет назад +2

ok got it ;>

• @kevinharrigan2727
    @kevinharrigan2727 10 лет назад

Found one with 4GB of RAM and with a 500GB hard drive for $214. I'll save up for it .

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

NVS 160m has a higher than average failure rate - just google it.
    The problem is not the same as with the G84/G86 series but it is most likely thermal cycle related - I know what I am talking about.
    And I do not know what Lenovo ThinkPads you have handled. I am not talking about Lenovo consumer laptops, I am not talking about the ThinkPad Edge series.....I am talking about the classic T/W/X series laptop - you cannot compare them to a dell or to a HP or a sony....you need to own one to know

• @K74UT
    @K74UT 11 лет назад

gotta love that sarcasm - and why are you calling me a fanboy with that username? Hypocrite

• @EyrthWyrmJym

OK then.

• @tsomo4
    @tsomo4 11 лет назад

get a new laptop. i had t60 for 6 yrs and it sucks. it can't be formatted or vista installed and shift numerics and f keys all in wrong place which is so annoying. i remember everytime pressing fn button mistaking it with ctrl. and scr res is only 1024 oh that laptop sucked and i still couldn't believe it was released in 2007. in 2007 most of the laptops had 1920 reso.

• @JackStavris
      @JackStavris  11 лет назад

This isn't my main laptop y'know, and even if it was I wouldn't need a powerful laptop anyways since I have a custom-built desktop for my main computer.
      I've traded this ThinkPad for a Dell Precision now. Love that thing.

• @YOUBANNA
      @YOUBANNA 10 лет назад

t60 forever pleb

• @obfuscated3090
      @obfuscated3090 9 лет назад +1

"it can't be formatted or vista installed" Bullshit, and many people are running Win 7 and any number of Linux distros on T60s.

• @EyrthWyrmJym
    @EyrthWyrmJym 11 лет назад +1

Sprechen in Englisch.

• @Nicholas992
    @Nicholas992 10 лет назад

Is not IBM is Lenovo

• @Fire15105
      @Fire15105 10 лет назад

It was made during the transition to ibm to Lenovo but I can see why you would see that ( not trying to be rude)

• @lukeshaver1149
      @lukeshaver1149 8 лет назад

I believe the T60 was designed by IBM but was built during the transition between IBM and Lenovo.