Repairing very worn cast iron tractor axle. Valtra T203

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 1 окт 2024
  • In this video I repair a worn out axle centre pivot.
    The first job is to identify what the axle is made of, this is done by breaking a piece off and inspecting the crystal structure, a grind test to see the colour of the sparks and also by filing a little bit off and checking the filings. The decision was of cast iron.
    The weld area was ground down ready to be welded. Super cast ultima rods were chosen as a filler material. The whole area was preheated and then the worn area was built back up again, the burner was left inside the casting as a post heat to cool the axle down slowly.
    The axle was then moved over onto the milling machine where the boring head was used to turn the pivot down to 110mm. The top surface was also faced off.
    A steel shelve was made in the lathe to be fitted over the pivot to bring the final size back up to the standard 120mm. The shelve was expended with heat and then shrunk on with 0.25mm interference fit. A small chamfer was put onto the new shelve to finish the job off.
    Hope you enjoyed the video.
    Thanks for watching.
  • НаукаНаука

Комментарии • 498

• @larryskeeper1197
    @larryskeeper1197 10 месяцев назад +101

Must've been a big snake wrapped around that farmer's grease gun!!

• @phil6465
      @phil6465 10 месяцев назад +7

Your assuming he had one!

• @johnwarwick4105
      @johnwarwick4105 10 месяцев назад +2

Guessing its a livestock tractor 😂. Strange that the other side was ok, wouldn’t be the first person to not realise that there was a bearing on the rear pivot as well as the front.

• @megape95
      @megape95 10 месяцев назад +8

The rear pivot is usually lubricated by leaking engine oil so it doesnt wear as much 🤣

• @adamdiaz8442
      @adamdiaz8442 7 месяцев назад +1

😂 highlight of my day these comments

• @pierremarcoux886
    @pierremarcoux886 10 месяцев назад +21

No music no blabla no bulshit just proffssional interesting content, and learning that you can't see everyday.
    Good work, i'm watching you from Québec Canada 😉

• @beyondmiddleagedman7240
    @beyondmiddleagedman7240 10 месяцев назад +20

Only thing I would have done that you didn't would have been a machinist jack on the table at the knuckle end to support and reduce stress on the angle plate. Since nearly every thing I do is out of my comfort zone, I appreciate watching others go there too. It's how we learn to do the cool stuff. Now, if only the operator can find his grease gun.

• @simontravis7452
    @simontravis7452 10 месяцев назад +44

Fabulous repair, so many elements to work on, and adaptions of the milling machine, super job Oliver.

• @edswider9309
      @edswider9309 10 месяцев назад +1

Very smart machinest

• @ringstinga
    @ringstinga 10 месяцев назад +38

Love your honesty when you are doing something that you have not done before ! Also I like the way you think on your feet and come up with solutions to problems ! Keep it up young man you are doing great work and it is refreshing to see !

• @billdoodson4232
    @billdoodson4232 10 месяцев назад +59

Always amazes me how people can let stuff get so bad before they think it might be time to fix it.
    Said it before, but this channel has now become the UK equivalent of CEE. Excellent work again, lets hope they actually grease it this time.

• @jazko
      @jazko 10 месяцев назад +7

shoutout to CEE. Unfortunately his last cast repair job didn't turn out well. But happens to the best of repairmen.

• @billdoodson4232
      @billdoodson4232 10 месяцев назад +3

@@jazko Yes that was a bit of a shocker, hearing it pinging the way it did.

• @fredscheerle7592
      @fredscheerle7592 10 месяцев назад +1

Was that a dig at Farmers maintenance, obviously had FEL on tractor to get that bad as well. What was the other side wheel like?

• @billdoodson4232
      @billdoodson4232 10 месяцев назад

@@fredscheerle7592 Apologies, but FEL went straight over my head.

• @fredscheerle7592
      @fredscheerle7592 10 месяцев назад +1

@@billdoodson4232 front end loader

• @marksecret9973
    @marksecret9973 10 месяцев назад +11

A very minor point compared to the excellence of the repair but I hope it is helpful. The laser indictor on infrared thermometers makes it look/feel like you are getting the temperature at that exact point at any range. In reality the infrared cone widens quickly - if you would like to truly know the exact temperature of a particular spot you need to test from only a few inches away. (Many IR thermometers do have a graph indicating this on the side, others it is hidden in the instructions.)
    More content much appreciated by an engineer/machinist who occasionally does a bit of welding and often learns things from watching you. Thank you.

• @paulhammond7489
    @paulhammond7489 10 месяцев назад +26

Nicely done. I've never done it myself, but many of those doing welding to cast iron use a thermal blanket wrap the workpiece in order to extend the cooling period as long as possible to reduce post welding fractures. Was good to see the mill column extension put to use... Enjoying your videos :)

• @snowballengineering
      @snowballengineering  10 месяцев назад +4

Unfortunately I don’t have a thermal blanket.

• @michaelminers2612
      @michaelminers2612 10 месяцев назад +6

When I did my city and guild's we put the cast jobs in the coals in the forge and let them cool together!🤣

• @mattsan70
    @mattsan70 10 месяцев назад +6

When the farmer comes to pick it up - show him what that grease nipple is for - he will be truly amazed!

• @derekcomer4858
    @derekcomer4858 10 месяцев назад +10

I enjoyed watching this very much. It looked like one of those jobs that could easily have ended badly. Fabulous result. Hope the customer was suitably impressed 👍

• @JRattheranch
    @JRattheranch 10 месяцев назад +53

Those cast rods worked really well! Much better than those I used to use, usually unsuccessfully, 50 years ago! Nice job of machining too! That pillar extension worked a treat too! 👌

• @aserta
      @aserta 10 месяцев назад +10

Tech has advanced quite a bit from back then. A week ago i fixed my brother's stainless steel water tank in the middle of the field with a stick welder. And they worked perfectly with a cheap little inverter i bought just for this job. :))

• @Biokemist-o3k
      @Biokemist-o3k 10 месяцев назад

@@aserta That milling machine is awesome. What is it. I have a burke number 4 but I really need a Bridgeport. That thing can seriously handle larger equipment with ease.

• @mathewmolk2089
      @mathewmolk2089 6 месяцев назад

NiROd is STILL junk today. - Great for camouflage but no good for actual work. ----- 1- Gas weld with real cast iron 2-Tig braze with Si Bronze. 3- Braze 4- if you can't fix it with one of those, Screw it.

• @lawrencemanning
    @lawrencemanning 10 месяцев назад +26

The funny look after “farmers are usually good at greasing their machinery” is priceless.

• @josephcooksley3219
      @josephcooksley3219 7 месяцев назад

Really 😂😂😂 what do think Agricultural Engineers Do Play Tiddle winks or some thing 😂😂😂

• @ronbuckner8179
      @ronbuckner8179 3 месяца назад

I wondered where all that deck shit went. I wrote “ duck shit”. You tube is protecting all those EUEars

• @davidsnyder2000
    @davidsnyder2000 10 месяцев назад +11

Liked and subscribed already 👍 I’m not a machinist, so I find what you do so cool. I was so curious as to how you were going to set that up on the mill. Super cool idea. Look forward to your next video 🙂

• @michaellynskey7124
    @michaellynskey7124 10 месяцев назад +10

Snowball engineering is always trying to improve his ability to take on certain jobs which normally wouldn’t entertain, Such the cast welding and the machining with mill to finish up with a nearly perfect finish, Extremely well done for taking on and showing these great engineering videos 🇮🇪

• @TheRossi48
    @TheRossi48 10 месяцев назад +12

Estamos crescendo, cheguei aqui com 2 mil e hoje somos 31 mil. Parabéns pelo ótimo trabalho e sucesso. Abraços do velho professor Luiz Rossi do Brasil.

• @Osgard
    @Osgard 10 месяцев назад +5

That is pita to grease. You have to get front axle up in the air and swing it when greasing. Or that is what valtra says. And points are under tractor of course.

• @Andrew_Fernie
      @Andrew_Fernie 10 месяцев назад +3

Yeah it should have a remote grease piont. If it's too hard to get to it's not going to get done most of the time.

• @russellwall1964
    @russellwall1964 10 месяцев назад +10

Well done, mate! I never cease to be amazed at how your repairs turn out. You got skills and patience and that will take you a long ways!

• @SirWhiteRabbit-gr5so
    @SirWhiteRabbit-gr5so 10 месяцев назад +9

An excellent repair. That must have really been clattering before.

• @edmondmccudden27
    @edmondmccudden27 10 месяцев назад +7

Love the way you overcome tooling problems by quickly designing and creating new tools.. a very versatile approach 👏

• @oldmuppet191
    @oldmuppet191 10 месяцев назад +5

Snowball - Superb engineering on a Yorkshire budget. To do that with cast iron - well done.

• @Tommy_Poole
    @Tommy_Poole 10 месяцев назад +3

Remember to charge him enough such that next time he remembers to use his grease gun a bit more often.

• @Rich-on6fe
    @Rich-on6fe 10 месяцев назад +32

The temperature reading you get with your IR thermometer will vary enormously depending on whether you're pointing it at a fresh shiny surface or a dull dirty one. A clean shiny surface acts as a mirror (a hot mirror) that causes the thermometer to 'see' some other part of your workshop, which is colder than the workpiece itself. Playing around with a thermal imaging camera is a good way of getting a feel for this.

• @aserta
      @aserta 10 месяцев назад +4

Yep. That's why i stick to temp sticks when it comes to measuring temps. They're accurate within their spec and can't be fooled by any imperfection.

• @paddynfs6452
      @paddynfs6452 10 месяцев назад +2

@@asertatemple stick do a electronic version now instead of crayons, essentially you touch the surface and gives readout (think it’s up to 600 degrees C)
      However like you the crayons are pretty fool proof and easier to keep in your top pocket 👍

• @petegraham1458
      @petegraham1458 10 месяцев назад +1

Another nice fix .

• @SLeslie
      @SLeslie 10 месяцев назад

And the viewing angle of the infra thermometer should also be taken into account.

• @Frank-Thoresen
      @Frank-Thoresen 10 месяцев назад +2

I first thought of him using temp stick. That is what I used back in the 90's when welding on petroleum platforms. I know it sounds old school but it's fail proof.

• @tomtd
    @tomtd 10 месяцев назад +6

Enjoying watching the channel grow, and the videos too. Nothing too slick and some nice workarounds.

• @haydenwilliams1750
    @haydenwilliams1750 10 месяцев назад +4

I don't remember a farmer greasing anything before those 18v grease guns came along!

• @jeremyhowes8059
    @jeremyhowes8059 10 месяцев назад +6

Ingenuity at work. A job well thought out and completed. Very well done. 👍

• @KSMechanicalEngineering
    @KSMechanicalEngineering 10 месяцев назад +1

What type of electrode use for cast iron welding

• @andrefrenette4849
    @andrefrenette4849 10 месяцев назад +9

Great work!
    Love what you do. Real world repair with skills and good old fashion manual work.

• @gbentley8176
    @gbentley8176 10 месяцев назад +5

A very good save indeed. Cast material can be notoriously difficult if a job is rushed. Care and prep work is the key and it is very satisfying when you get the result you wanted. Thanks for posting an excellent video.

• @jean-robertbourbonnais6279
    @jean-robertbourbonnais6279 10 месяцев назад +4

Good job Oliver .. your knowledge and thinking about how to go abouts .. on different challenges in your shop is awesome .. keep it up young man !!! 😎👍👊

• @johnmoore1025
    @johnmoore1025 10 месяцев назад +2

In my experience there are 2 types of farmers, one's that religiously grease their machines and those who don't even have a grease gun

• @MattysWorkshop
    @MattysWorkshop 10 месяцев назад +3

Gday, certainly greased regularly, possibly every 2nd Christmas, great job, cheers

• @paulcowler4136
    @paulcowler4136 10 месяцев назад +7

A joy to watch as always Oli, your thought process is second to none. Nice to see the Walhaupter head at work. Keep the content coming. Paul

• @alangraham8926
    @alangraham8926 10 месяцев назад +3

I really like your "warts an all" approach makes your vids "human" and very watchable!!!! Damn good job overall.

• @nineoclockhero
    @nineoclockhero 10 месяцев назад +3

Farmers make their own grease from watered down loam.

• @carlf8291
    @carlf8291 10 месяцев назад +3

Nice job here in the u.s. that would have been scrapped know one would've even tried to fix it excellent work.

• @zippo1009
    @zippo1009 10 месяцев назад +4

This channel is THE definition of ingenuity at it´s very, very best!

• @garymucher4082
    @garymucher4082 10 месяцев назад +5

Very nice rebuild of that huge metal cast iron tractor axle part. It should work for years to come now! Thumbs Up!

• @RambozoClown
    @RambozoClown 10 месяцев назад +4

Nice job. Always have a hammer handy when doing a shrink fit.

• @josejaviersenandebarcia445
    @josejaviersenandebarcia445 10 месяцев назад +4

Gracias por responder al comentario.miro tus vídeos desde que empezaste y gusta mucho tu humildad y la forma en cómo te enfrentas al trabajo. Eres muy profesional para ser un muchacho tan joven. Yo me dediqué a la reparación de barcos y también de maquinaria agrícola, sigue así y no te desanimes. Triunfarás en la vida SEGURO. Mucha suerte amigo

• @GWAYGWAY1
    @GWAYGWAY1 10 месяцев назад +1

If that is cast IRON then no wonder it failed, it would fail with stress and impact in day to day use. It is to me , almost certainly cast STEEL to take the stress’s of an axle in service.

• @dennisleadbetter7721
    @dennisleadbetter7721 10 месяцев назад +1

You need to add a greese zerk so that pivot can be greased, I am surprised it survived for very long at all with out any lubrication.

• @Diederik240
    @Diederik240 10 месяцев назад +3

Great repair Oliver. Of cooourse farmers are good at lubricating their machines 😊. The workpiece is most likely nodular type cast iron as it is haevily during operation.

• @peketee2278
    @peketee2278 10 месяцев назад +2

i doubt it's steel because the chips look like steel chips and the outer end has such thin spots that i don't think cast iron is durable enough... But like i said i only think so...if i could have grinded it i could tell by the smell if it's cast iron...

• @robertcrossley9803
    @robertcrossley9803 10 месяцев назад +5

A well presented video , great content throughout. Thanks for taking the time to share

• @ennnieeeeeeee
    @ennnieeeeeeee 10 месяцев назад +1

Farmers are usually good at greasing their machinery *looks at camera* 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• @shaunmorrissey7313
    @shaunmorrissey7313 10 месяцев назад +1

If that repair cost less than a replacement part, you're not charging enough.

• @jasonneedham6734
    @jasonneedham6734 10 месяцев назад +3

@ 5:27 Those sparks, definitely cast iron. 😊

• @TheYoungster17
    @TheYoungster17 10 месяцев назад +1

Good job looks like a good repair! What was your reasoning for welding up, and turning down and putting a bush over the top? Compared to say welding oversize and machining down to factory OD?

• @snowballengineering
      @snowballengineering  10 месяцев назад +1

Less work, The bottom wasn’t worn so to weld oversize I’d have to first machine down to weld up to them machine back to factory OD.

• @donaljoyce4761
    @donaljoyce4761 28 дней назад +1

Love watching this man working he is very dedicated best of luck from west of Ireland

• @nikspanakis
    @nikspanakis 10 месяцев назад +1

Ausom job. Still, I would go a different root, not involving any welding, that will potentially introduce hard and brittle, weak spots or zones on casting. These are stressed machines, it will probably find an excuse to brake there. So, I'd clean to the largest round diameter the wear allows and fit a press-and-bolt steel beefier "sleeve" as your wear surface. Not much more work if you think about it. Subscribed.

• @donmathias1705
    @donmathias1705 10 месяцев назад +1

Did you consider simply simply offset machining it round on your mill and then shrinking back on a suitable sleeve. Then pick up on centre again and machine true to original specs and pin in place. Modern metallurgy is complicated. Heat treatment is a whole black science when repairing stuff. Nice job.

• @TheGrimReaper1
    @TheGrimReaper1 10 месяцев назад +2

That farmer should bring you some fish and chips round for your lunch on Friday as penance, not only that but given two hundred lines,writing “i must grease the tractor generously every week”. Ps, make sure s/he hands them in. 😀.

• @padraiggluck2980
    @padraiggluck2980 10 дней назад +1

Great job as always, Oliver. I very much enjoy watching you work out the solution to the jobs you take on. 👍

• @gerryboard6615
    @gerryboard6615 10 месяцев назад +2

Wow, that was a great fix. Welding cast iron is always a bit of a dark art. I hate to think what a replacement OEM axle casing would have cost. Perhaps you could show the owner what a grease gun looks like.

• @peterarmstrong8613
    @peterarmstrong8613 10 месяцев назад +2

The art of making strawberry jam out of shit.

• @wallbawden5511
    @wallbawden5511 10 месяцев назад +10

cast repair i stayed away from this as much as one could but back then we never had the choose of rods and wire like now but you mastered it put a lot of weld in there and the end result speaks volumes of your talent for sure now you just have to get the farmers educated as to a substance called grease and oils or maybe not as it sure is a steady source of work income for you love your bit of wit at beginning of video Cheers Mate

• @johnclay4811
    @johnclay4811 10 месяцев назад +3

Great Job! It is good to see common sense and good engineering skill being used. I know that everything is CNC stuff these days but old manual machines are just as good as you have demonstrated. The job will be better than new as steel is harder than cast. Lets hope he gets the grease gun out this time! Cheers

• @peterausburn3942
    @peterausburn3942 10 месяцев назад +1

I used to check material with an oxy, cast iron won't cut but steel will.

• @samvimes1482
    @samvimes1482 10 месяцев назад +2

Impressive to see how you managed all of this, cast iron, I would have chickened out. My welding skills are rustier than an old back-hoe bucket.

• @passenger6735
    @passenger6735 10 месяцев назад +1

Thats a nice fit Ollie. Cast can be a bitch to weld. I did piss myself laughing at your anxiety when the heated part was cooling on to the boss and you were rushing for the hammer. That is a repair to be well chuffed with. Keep them coming.
    36k views and 31k subscribers. Come on you watchers, subscribing is free. Give the guy some support.

• @tsheritageengineering
    @tsheritageengineering 10 месяцев назад +2

Not an easy repair but you obviously gave it a lot of though and planning. Last cast Iron weld repair I did was an engine block, couldn't preheat as the white metal bearings were run direct in the block. Ran nickel rods, did 1" run, peened and let it cool for an hour before doing next run. Still going strong 20 years later!

• @DavoShed
    @DavoShed 10 месяцев назад +1

Great Video!
    You can actually smell cast iron when you machine it.
    Reminds me of chicken flavoured potato chips for some strange reason. 😊
    Also lots of free carbon so your hands go black is another way to tell.
    If you wear out your HSS tool slow down the speed and increase the nose radius a little.
    Obviously if you have suitable carbide tools just use them like you did.

• @JohnWheels
    @JohnWheels 10 месяцев назад +1

Amazing work! That looked like quite the challenge! A needle scalar would definitely help with peening! 😂

• @iansilk1836
    @iansilk1836 10 месяцев назад +1

Heat up the collar on a fire brick, less heat transfer, neat job

• @JHruby
    @JHruby 10 месяцев назад +1

"It died from somebody greasing it too much."
    Said nobody. Ever.

• @jimprescott8423
    @jimprescott8423 10 месяцев назад +4

Recycling at its best, well done mate, excellent job,

• @jimlong527
    @jimlong527 10 месяцев назад +2

Excellent repair, you have saved lots of money on this project.

• @mortenfyhnpetersen6130
    @mortenfyhnpetersen6130 10 месяцев назад +1

Todays tip: to find your center in the mill on a worn out pin or bushing, you Can machine a ring in the lathe that fit around either id or od. And then edge find it afterwords. If there is a weld in the way, just make the busch longer so you can cut away in the bushing fore the weld. Maybe you can make a video about it. Id like to see that .

• @WhiskeyGulf71
    @WhiskeyGulf71 10 месяцев назад +1

This’ll make you smile; if there was ever proof that RUclips have no clue about their audiences, i’m watching a Yorkshire farmer do engineering in a cold & draughty cow shed & the advert they put up is for some ridiculously overpriced, engineered whisky glass that was crowd funded 😂
    Like any of us give a flying F about some stupid whisky glass ! off all the things I might donate my hard earned money towards, a bloomin glass ain’t one of them.

• @jamesaustin9882
      @jamesaustin9882 10 месяцев назад

YT's advert choices are very strange. Watching this site I get pitches for really well fitting bras.

• @mongoose388
    @mongoose388 10 месяцев назад +2

I'm impressed. Kurtis at Cutting Edge tried to do cast iron welding (albeit it was a differential case and thinner) and the cracks kept forming when it cooled down.

• @bostedtap8399
      @bostedtap8399 10 месяцев назад +3

Fairly sure that casting was poorly cast, alot of internal stress.

• @mongoose388
      @mongoose388 10 месяцев назад +1

​@@bostedtap8399I agree. Regardless cast iron is always tough weld.

• @Farmersamm
    @Farmersamm 10 месяцев назад +1

Excellent job.
    The rods ran very well. I was recently forced to use Blue Demon Ni99 rods.......which ran like crap.
    Another way to determine if it's cast iron is to drill a small hole somewhere unimportant. If you get a granular powdery substance, it's cast iron. If you get curly chips, it's steel.
    Nickel deposits will always machine different than the parent metal. They're harder,, and will machine proud of the cast iron. PITA, but is what it is.
    Excellent job on the riser. Did you notice any loss of rigidity?
    Anyways..........take care. Nice job.

• @snowballengineering
      @snowballengineering  10 месяцев назад +2

Didn’t notice any rigidity issues but it was only a light job for it.

• @mattt7970
    @mattt7970 10 месяцев назад +2

Another great video. Good to see people going outside their comfort zone and persevering until success

• @BrucePierson
    @BrucePierson 10 месяцев назад +1

Might have to spray your riser block grey to match the mill.

• @brianalder2234
    @brianalder2234 10 месяцев назад +1

What he's really thinking
    "B**locks it's cast " 👍😁
    No seriously another
    Interesting vid !
    👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @snowballengineering

That’s exactly what I thought 🤣

• @brianalder2234
      @brianalder2234 10 месяцев назад +1

@@snowballengineering 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

• @CurtisGurley
    @CurtisGurley 10 месяцев назад +2

Another real world repair that worked out great. Very few things are harder than cast steel that gets welded.

• @davetaylor4741
    @davetaylor4741 10 месяцев назад +1

Great job. Not an easy medium to work with cast iron. Reinforcing with the steel sleeve should give that axle a new lease of life. The only way people can keep running these machines is with the help of skilled engineers to repair and fabricate parts. The old Boys are all retiring or dying. Good to see someone younger taking up the mantle.

• @alandawson2813
    @alandawson2813 10 месяцев назад +1

Evening young Oliver, Another awesome video.
    From kiwi land.

• @frfrpr
    @frfrpr 10 месяцев назад +1

I love the problem-solving. Great filming, slow motion was enjoyable. Thanks

• @onlyme7939
    @onlyme7939 10 месяцев назад +3

Sunday morning magic

• @thegodofpleasure
    @thegodofpleasure 10 месяцев назад +1

Than you for sharing your experience and knowledge.
    It's such a valuable resource and is a huge credit to you. 👏

• @kbye5323
    @kbye5323 10 месяцев назад +1

Dang you did a great job! Especially for it being cast iron! Keep the videos coming!

• @josejaviersenandebarcia445
    @josejaviersenandebarcia445 10 месяцев назад +2

hellow Im a spanish seguidor. sorry to my english but is terrible.i liked your works always.congratulations to the repairs

• @snowballengineering

Your English is better than my Spanish 😆 Thanks!

• @brucecliffe6213
    @brucecliffe6213 10 месяцев назад

Ollie, you need to have a bit more confidence in yourself, you are a very capable chap. You think about what is needed for the problem at hand for some time, obviously, before you tackle the more difficult jobs, as any good repairer does. This very obvious to me anyway.
    Interestingly I have similar problem with my Zetor tractor which I will get to repairing one of these days. Good repair and an interesting video mate. Many thanks for posting. Cheers.

• @Biokemist-o3k
    @Biokemist-o3k 10 месяцев назад +1

New subscriber here. Really awesome job my friend. I am trying to build a decent machine shop so I can start building a replica 1928 Morgan MG special. I am using a BMW R-100 motor like the Pembleton but I am mating it to an MG 4 speed transmission then on to an MG differential to give it 4 wheels and stability . It will be a wooden frame with aircraft cloth stretched over it and a plastic dope to make it just like a 20's airplane. I started learning how to cast parts so I can cast the adapter for the R-100 to the mG transmission from aluminum. I will be starting m y RUclips channel with that build.

• @snowballengineering
      @snowballengineering  10 месяцев назад +1

That’s sounds an interesting project!

• @Biokemist-o3k
      @Biokemist-o3k 10 месяцев назад

@@snowballengineering Thanks brother. I will let you know when I start making videos. I love raw videos where the person doesn't edit all the behind the scenes talking and stuff. It makes me feel like I was there. What do you think of that type of raw video? I do like perfect videos also but I have been thinking about it lately and I am going to start out that way and see what people think.

• @garyrhodes7089
    @garyrhodes7089 10 месяцев назад +1

That Boring head is a sweet bit of kit nice repair man I have never had any success with nickel rods for cast faced with the same job i would have gone for MIG braze but you smashed it well done

• @donalmcgovern7647
    @donalmcgovern7647 10 месяцев назад +1

Fair play Ollie, savage repair job there. One of your toughest yet and ya never let it phase ya. Top job

• @jimg7784
    @jimg7784 10 месяцев назад +1

Any kind of welding etc with cast iron is incredibly hard and sketchy. Much respect, good job👍

• @tedmogsm7037
    @tedmogsm7037 10 месяцев назад +1

another great detailed video, only new to the channel but love it so far, just a thought, it's a pity you don't have a overhead crane system for yourself to help with the lifting and moving of material, would make it so much easier to work too, maybe something for the future

• @GICK117
    @GICK117 10 месяцев назад +1

My pop, an english man, was what you would call, a natural engineer. You remind me of him in so many ways.. You have a gift. I am very impressed by your can do attitude.

• @warrenjones744
    @warrenjones744 10 месяцев назад +1

Nothing wrong with that Oliver. Nodular iron housing repair happens around here quite often. And I would have done essentially the same thing. Like you said, that shrink fit is not going anywhere for a while. Sure, it might be little rough around the edges, but who cares? you cannot see it once it's all together and it will preform just fine. Nice job, Cheers.

• @WhatTheTarnation.
    @WhatTheTarnation. 10 месяцев назад +1

Assess, plan, improvise, and execute.
    " Ain't nothing to it, except to do it."
    Nicely done, Sir. Saved someone some $$$ , pray all is well.

• @carllockpick6179
    @carllockpick6179 10 месяцев назад +1

Excellent job mate, if customers would grease the lub points, parts would last longer.

• @rogercligg4531
    @rogercligg4531 6 месяцев назад +2

A glory to watch.well done

• @mingthemerciless6855
    @mingthemerciless6855 10 месяцев назад +1

Good problem solving skills. Ever think about building a shop crane?

• @edswider9309
    @edswider9309 10 месяцев назад +1

Ollie by watching your videos I am learning a lot keep it up I am now 76 yup retired and very active especially in the garage lots of laughts plus CEE is very good as well as topper machine

• @edswider9309
      @edswider9309 10 месяцев назад

Do you watch Calvin arc one welding

• @MrJsormunen
    @MrJsormunen 10 месяцев назад +1

Nice work, that's how the repair should be done. It's a shame that there isn't a wear sleeve ready like in some other axles. My channel has a couple of films on this topic as well, I quickly made a fairly simple repair method and it has worked really well.

• @gregmacgregor7066
    @gregmacgregor7066 10 месяцев назад +1

shouldn't you oversize the sleeve and then mill it to size after fitting it

• @snowballengineering
      @snowballengineering  10 месяцев назад

Yes, would have been a good idea and I did think of doing that.

• @stevechambers9166
    @stevechambers9166 10 месяцев назад +1

Reasonable happy 😂that was a good repair welding milling turning modifying the mill all done by 1man yep I’d be reasonable happy if I could do all that lol

• @lovejcdc
    @lovejcdc 10 месяцев назад +1

Great video Ollie and excellent job. It seems like there isn't much that you can't repair or rebuild.

• @mathewmolk2089
    @mathewmolk2089 6 месяцев назад

God bless ya for having the balls to try the best way you knew how. - and successfully getting the job done. If it works it's a good job!!!!!
    Personally I wold have gas welded it with real cast iron filler. - NI rod is risky business at best. - Most people are afraid of gas welding with cast because of the high (like 1100 degrees+ preheat) so as a second choice I would have used either just brazing it up (even make the sleeve first and "fill 'er up) or even silicon bronze TIG. - And that is how to secure the sleeve if yo feel the shrink fit is too loose. - Braze it in.
    1- Make Sleeve oversize OD and correct ID
    2- Put on sleeve and tack to "good side" with braze
    3- Preheat
    4- Fill up "bad side" with brass
    5. SLOW COOL. - Very slow
    6. Put in machine and turn to size with boring head.
    7. Type bill
    That's how I wold have done it, anyway. ,,,, We have been welding cast here since 1980 and to date, out of or shop we never have used Ni Rod for anything. - Check the work Kieth Ruker does over at Vintage Machinery just for kicks. - Been watching him for 5 years and never have seen a failure yet. He only uses brazing rod. Nirod is for the Bob Villas.