Tripod Head: iFOOTAGE Komodo K5 - amzn.to/2YaS1nO
    Audio was recorded with:
    Rode NT1 + Rode AI-1 Studio Kit - amzn.to/2NqNg5b
    More videos:
    Fuji XT4 Review - Almost Perfect APS-C Camera [ Fujifilm X-T4 ]
    bit.ly/FujiXT4review
    Fujifilm X100V Review - The Complete Package [ Fuji X100V ]
    bit.ly/FujifilmX100Vreview
    Sony A7III vs Fuji XT4 - Full Frame or APS-C under $2000?
    bit.ly/SonyA7IIIvsFujiXT4
    Freewell Variable ND Filters Review w/ Sony A7III
    bit.ly/FreewellVND
    Best Camera Accessories for Travelling 2020 Edition
    bit.ly/CameraAccessoriesTrave...
    Follow me on Instagram: / william_svrcek
    Please note that if you use the affiliate links above to purchase products, I will get a small commission (1-6% of the price). It helps funding the production on this channel, but it won't cost you any extra money.
  • НаукаНаука

Комментарии • 131

• @TheHybridShooter
    @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +10

*Best Camera Accessories for Travelling 2020 Edition* - bit.ly/CameraAccessoriesTravel2020
    Sample images were edited in: *Luminar 4.3* - bit.ly/Luminar4THS
    - $/€10 Discount Code: *THS10*

• @LyndonPatrickSmith
    @LyndonPatrickSmith 3 года назад +17

For the last couple of months I’ve walked 5-10km most days carrying the 16-80 and T4. I do not find this combination heavy at all, and I look forward to travelling with it someday. I also have the 16-55 and as you’ve said, that is definitely a better lens. I use it on paying jobs. After extensive use of this exact same kit, I agree with everything you’ve said here. Great review.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +3

Thank you, it is still a good compromise if you don't need the best possible corner shaprness.

• @avonperera2187
    @avonperera2187 3 года назад +2

I actually jumped over from MFT after the Olympus announcement to an X-T4 and 16-80 combo as of early July! Killer combination, plus I picked up an XF35 F2 and XC50-230 and adapted my dad's old Pentax 50mm F1.4 SMC. All I need now is my macro extension tubes to arrive and to save up for a Samyang 12mm F2 and I've got a full compliment of lightweight, travel friendly kit. Also the first thing I was change the focus ring to Linear which makes it super easy to hit focus, although I don't think Fuji's focus peaking is anywhere near as useful as Olympus'.

• @dotty7789
    @dotty7789 3 года назад +2

I'm really loving your reviews. I got this lens with the xt-4 and after the firmware update the lens is pretty nice. I do think that for the price, the 18-55 is probably better (I don't have it tho). But I'm happy with it for home videos and pictures.
    I also have the 50-140mm and really love it. I like to do landscape and outdoor photo/video with it. I wish there were more lenses like it on the Fuji line up in terms of auto focus and sharpness.

• @matthewwilliamson10
    @matthewwilliamson10 3 года назад

this was a great help, thank you kind sir.

• @batdroid2705
    @batdroid2705 3 года назад +4

Another great review man. Firmware 1.05 is out so if you still have the lens, it's worth installing and testing the video auto focus.

• @keith_pictures
    @keith_pictures 3 года назад +4

Great review as always, man. As a fan of RF-style cameras with versatile, stabilized lenses, I am curious about how this compares, combined with the X-Pro3, vs the Panasonic Leica 12-60 on the GX9. Have you tried the X-Pro3? Such a beautiful camera. And this lens seems exactly like the Fuji version of the PL 12-60. I guess the m43 version is parfocal, at least, but lets in less light.

• @eugenolize
    @eugenolize 3 года назад +6

Really like your review 👍🏼

• @zaddy6960
    @zaddy6960 3 года назад +7

This lens has never come off my camera.

• @Vikingdescendent
      @Vikingdescendent 3 года назад

Same here. The quality is beyond what I expected.

• @chrisstokes2418
    @chrisstokes2418 3 года назад

another excellent review. i have been following your channel since the early days and the reviews have been consistently always relevant to me and content i always want to watch, so double thumbs up for that!
    if you have the possibility i would really like to see a comparision between this lens and the 16-55 on the x-t4 and your final thoughts about it. keep up the excellent work

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +1

Thank you, I'm glad my reviews are useful to you.
      Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test both lenses at the same time, but it will be possible to compare the performance on my new testing scene.

• @Vikingdescendent
    @Vikingdescendent 3 года назад +1

Superb lens for shooting video! It has changed the way I work.

• @chtojeetovsezanyali
      @chtojeetovsezanyali 3 года назад

what if comparing it to 10-24?

• @koledo
      @koledo 3 года назад

How it can be superb for video if when you zoom its wobble focus and flash ISO. Its really terribile....??

• @gobs5999HD
    @gobs5999HD 3 года назад +3

I just bought my first camera , X-T4 + 16-80 lens :-)
    as a beginner, I got a lot recommendations to start with a cheap camera, but I decided to purchase a good quality camera that hopefully I will use for years.
    great review, as usual :-)

• @abrahamlee1774
      @abrahamlee1774 3 года назад +1

considering getting the xt4 or a7iii for my first camera...the only thing holding me back on a7iii is that i think i'll regret it immensely once the a7iiii comes out late 2020-early 2021.

• @SL-jo4om
      @SL-jo4om 3 года назад

@@abrahamlee1774 I would strongly advise you to not worry about future releases, because they're endless and trying to keep up with them will distract you from your purpose. As hard as resisting gear acquisition syndrome is for most of us, learning to use the gear you have is what will ultimately give you creative gratification. You need to know your gear well and carry it around to make progress. If you choose the X-T4, I would get the incredible 16-55 zoom (making it IBIS-stabilized and thus even more versatile than it already is) and one or two primes.

• @gobs5999HD
      @gobs5999HD 3 года назад

@@abrahamlee1774 4k60fps was a major deal breaker for me with Sony.

• @joshuatatro4503
    @joshuatatro4503 2 года назад +1

Appreciate the video -- one question I have is @2:35 you complain about the manual focus pull being non-linear/speed sensitive and therefore hard to repeat pulls (which is fair). However, for all my other Fuji lenses/bodies (at least the newer ones) this is ultimately a setting that can be changed in-camera under "setup (wrench)" -> "button/dial setting" -> "focus ring operation" -> "linear/nonlinear." Is that for some reason not working with this lens?

• @tonyelsom
    @tonyelsom 3 года назад +8

Good review I am in agreement 16 80 is more than good enough for most photographers. I have kept my 16 55 in case I need the extra image quality but I find that 16 80 spends a lot more time on my camera.

• @marklaurendet1861
    @marklaurendet1861 3 года назад +2

Thanks for the good review.
    I am thinking of trying Fuji one day and this lens looks like it could be a good starting point to try the system.

• @patrick.771
      @patrick.771 3 года назад

I bought a (new) X-H1 with a used 18-55 to try the Fuji system (1100 € all together) and I really like it (coming from Nikon). The handling, quality and menu is great.
      I probably will go full Fuji even though the Z6 is still my favourite camera in that price range - but there aren't the lenses I want.

• @SuperLisandro86
      @SuperLisandro86 3 года назад +1

Depending on the body, you may have problems with stabilization between camera and lens at some speed (1/60 - 1/125). Check it out.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +2

Thank you! It is solid all-round choice, but if you want to see potential of the system, 16-55 would be more suitable.

• @remco2777
      @remco2777 3 года назад

I have just switched to Fuji and this 16-80 lens is now sold as a "kit lens" with the XT4. That makes this lens a lot cheaper than the 16-55 red badge XF lens. As this video confirms: it is a very good lens.

• @SL-jo4om
      @SL-jo4om 3 года назад +1

@@remco2777 I've rented both the 16-55 and 16-80 together before buying. The 16-55 is MUCH better optically and ended up buying it second hand for my X-T3. On an IBIS body it becomes even more attractive.

• @veronica9384
    @veronica9384 3 года назад

Wonderful!!!!!

• @pauloduarte3095
    @pauloduarte3095 3 года назад +1

Brother i love your channel
    Thanks for all the information, advice and content that you provide.
    Between panasonic g9 and fuji xt 4 for a beginner what do you recommend

• @JeanV1986
      @JeanV1986 3 года назад +1

I'm not the OP but here's my take: both are great cameras, but you really should look at the lens lineup to see if the lens you want/like is available in the lineup.

• @TheHybridShooter

Take a look at my XT4 and GH5 comparison ruclips.net/video/bZVgH1BUyuM/видео.html G9 and GH5 are quite similar, so that may help you decide.

• @Vikingdescendent
    @Vikingdescendent 3 года назад +1

Amazing video and photo lens for street work. The speed of the focus and accuracy is also amazing! Super fast for capturing focus while shooting fast moving objects. It may not come off your camera.

• @TheHybridShooter

I wouldn't quite call it amazing, but it is solid performer.

• @DrummLP
    @DrummLP 3 года назад +1

Amazingly well made video, as always. Thanks!
    To be honest, I am quite shocked about the fact that the lens isn't parfocal and about the way that zooming footage looks. For me personally, that is quite the dealbreaker and I like, that you always cover this aspect in your reviews.
    Was that sample footage at 6:10 actually filmed in manual focus mode?
    In my opinion, it is worse this way, than if it would just be not sharp after zooming... :D

• @TheHybridShooter

Being parfocal is not a standard feature, especially not on a lens such as this one, so I definitely wouldn't say that it is shocking.

• @kris4637
    @kris4637 3 года назад +2

Can you please do a review on the original bmpcc (2014 version)? I would really like to know your opinion.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад

Unfortunately, that is not possible, I don't have one at my disposal.

• @paulthomas8986
    @paulthomas8986 3 года назад

Thanks for the detailed and honest review.looks like a good all around lens with excellent stabilization. The corner softness is the reason why I did not buy one. For how good all modern lens have become its pretty disappointing.

• @TheHybridShooter

You're welcome, do you know any modern crop 24-120mm has better corner sharpness? I don't. It is always a compromise for the size and focal range.

• @paulthomas8986
      @paulthomas8986 3 года назад +1

The Hybrid Shooter no other manufacturer except Fuji invests in making quality apsc lenses. Fuji does not have full frame so they have to invest in making the best apsc lenses. Olympus 12-100 is better and Nikon S 24-200 is too. I have not used canon or Sony apsc but they don’t make this expensive of an apsc zoom range.

• @TheHybridShooter

Olympus 12-100 is definitively not better, it is only impressive within M43 zoom selection where no lens can match pixel density. It is optically average lens when compares with larger sensor / lens combinations. FF lenses / sensors have pixel density advantage. I have used other expensive crop super zooms (Sony 16-70, Nikon 16-80) and those have worse corner sharpness.

• @mfreider
    @mfreider 3 года назад +1

Nice review! How would you optically compare it to Panasonic Leica 12-60/2.8-4?

• @TheHybridShooter

16-80 can render more detail in combination with 26.1 MP sensor.

• @alihammad6318
    @alihammad6318 3 года назад +7

For the manual focus- there is an option in the menu to interpret focus ring as linear, so that helps a lot with consistency

• @TheHybridShooter

Yes, thank you, I forgot about that.

• @alihammad6318
      @alihammad6318 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter really appreciate your reviews. As a Fuji shooter primarily for video (currently on the XT30) I'm blown away by the image quality and dynamic range.

• @nofightsnecessary
    @nofightsnecessary 3 года назад +15

How do you like this 16-80mm compared to the 18-55mm?

• @f2lo2
    @f2lo2 3 года назад

Are lens rings made of rubber or metal?

• @ryanwendell7931
    @ryanwendell7931 3 года назад +1

Would love to see a review for the 18-135. It’s hard to beat that versatility but the 16-80 is close!

• @TheHybridShooter

Maybe in the future, but to be honest, I have no plans to review 18-135 anytime soon.

• @Jabber-ig3iw
    @Jabber-ig3iw 3 года назад

Nice speedy.

• @kostaschelioths6608
    @kostaschelioths6608 3 года назад

I have this set, but this lens in video handheld with ois is very very bad in moves pan tilt, very jerky,.

• @tatsuoozeki6840
    @tatsuoozeki6840 3 года назад

The castle on the hill is in Baden, Switzerland?

• @thegangstagentle
    @thegangstagentle 3 года назад

Did something change with the new updates according to you?

• @saltygoat
    @saltygoat 2 года назад

Thanks for this info. What lens would you suggest for product shots? What other cameras would compare at this price point?

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  2 года назад

I don't use L-mount, so I unfortunately can't help you with lenses. Sony A7 III.

• @xXParrallaxXx
    @xXParrallaxXx 3 года назад

@The Hybrid Shooter do u have a recommendation for a Fuji Parfocal Lens for video zooming? Do they even exist?

• @TheHybridShooter

Only the two MKX lenses or adapted Sigma 18-35

• @xXParrallaxXx

@@TheHybridShooter oh ic. Those r some beefy looking lenses o.O do u think u necessarily need a parfocal for decent video zooming ? That my biggest reservation with this 16-80 zoom lens

• @TheHybridShooter

Yes, you do, but the question is whether you need zooming in video. That is a bit of 2005 filmmaking element.

• @xXParrallaxXx

@@TheHybridShooter for me personally it’s not for film making as much as it’s for home movies sorta

• @xXParrallaxXx
      @xXParrallaxXx 3 года назад +1

@@TheHybridShooter does the 16-55 or the 18-55 have that focus breathing/wobble problem that the 16-80 seems to have ?

• @MrNecropodo
    @MrNecropodo 3 года назад

Is the 80mm with macro 1:1 capabilities?
    What do you think of fuji lenses in general.

• @TheHybridShooter

You can look it up in the specs. Fuji has pretty complete lens selection, although some of the lenses could use an update.

• @patrick.771
    @patrick.771 3 года назад +2

I wanted to buy that lens for hiking/landscape-allround but then I saw the review of Christopher Frost and the result was a bit disappointing (considering the price).
    Your optical test result is similar to his ...
    The Angry Photographer/Ken said that next year there will be a new X-H2 with a 39(?!) MP sensor. Do you think that this lens would perform well with such a high MP sensor?

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +4

That is nonsense IMO. Using higher resolution sensor would would bring more issues than benefits like in R5. Of course, it would be further from the sensor resolution.

• @onyxabier4502
    @onyxabier4502 3 года назад

Which fuji lenses do you have ?

• @TheHybridShooter

18-55mm F2.8-4 is the only Fuji lens I own at the moment.

• @onyxabier4502
      @onyxabier4502 3 года назад

The Hybrid Shooter Thank you .

• @Itz_Me_Vimal
    @Itz_Me_Vimal 3 года назад +1

Hii..what about focus hunting issue in xt4 video mode?is that fixed with recent firmware?thnks in advance..

• @TheHybridShooter

I have shown samples in this video and in my previous videos: bit.ly/SonyA7IIIvsFujiXT4

• @Itz_Me_Vimal
      @Itz_Me_Vimal 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter thnks man ..🤗

• @skaplan18
    @skaplan18 3 года назад

At minute 5 you are showing the autofocus speed. The F stop shows as 2.8 ? This appears to be a different lens than you are reviewing.

• @TheHybridShooter

Yes, you are right, I probably mixed that up with 16-55 footage, thank you for pointing that out.

• @j16m02
    @j16m02 3 года назад +1

I'd love to hear your take on this lens as compared to the Sony 16-70mm f4.

• @TheHybridShooter

I don’t have that lens, so that is unfortunately not possible.

• @j16m02
      @j16m02 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter That's ok. I just watched your review of the Sony from a couple years back and you made it very clear, the Sony was pretty much a dud. Your review seemed to be in agreement with everyone else. Thanks

• @TheHybridShooter

@James Landers I have never owned or reviewed that lens, I only tested it briefly, so that was probably a different one.

• @j16m02
      @j16m02 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter My apologies.The review of the Sony 16-70/4 I watched was Christopher Frost. Oops.

• @sanjay28951
    @sanjay28951 3 года назад

I have both em1 ii and xt 30. Can you pls suggest which set is perfect for travelling in terms of optical quality - XT30 with 16- 80 or EM1ii with 12 -100 pro. Your suggestion will be highly helpful to choose right one.

• @TheHybridShooter

Neither is optically perfect, both lenses are compromises between size and image quality. Fuji will probably render more detail.

• @sanjay28951
      @sanjay28951 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter Thanks for your kind suggestion

• @Seanonyoutube
    @Seanonyoutube 3 года назад +2

Where do you live? Your location is beautiful.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +6

Thank you, it was shot in Slovakia.

• @kombasanpracka
      @kombasanpracka 3 года назад +3

It´s mainly Bratislava + other regions of Slovakia.

• @Honest_reviewer
    @Honest_reviewer 3 года назад +1

5:04 shows F2.8. Do you really use 16-80 f4?

• @TheHybridShooter

Yes, that it mixed up sample from 16-55 F2.8. The AF is about the same on both.

• @abdulrheemfawzi
    @abdulrheemfawzi 3 года назад

This lens has never come off my camera

• @Bilalibrahim71
    @Bilalibrahim71 2 года назад

I can get this lens for about £400, and want it primarily for travel videos and basic films. I have an X-T30 and it will be mounted most times but on the rare occasion, it'll be handheld. To me it seems this lens is well priced, has a good range, is good for video and photo, is WR and has OIS which can come in clutch when needed and could be a good lens to own if I'm able to upgrade the body to the future X-T5 or an X-T4 for example. It's not optically perfect, but is there ever really any lens that's perfect in every way? To me it just seems like this is one of the most well-rounded Fuji lenses that can be used in most scenarios with an acceptable or maybe even minimal amount of compromise.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  2 года назад

I have tested 3-4 lenses perfect in every way, but all 3 are for the E-mount :) As long as you are OK with the corner sharpness, why not. I think that Fujifilm could have done more, though.

• @xrayhk2013
    @xrayhk2013 3 года назад

The zoom focusing issue is a deal-breaker for me

• @photofreak7234
    @photofreak7234 3 года назад

Does 16-80 have LR?

• @hejakma4682
    @hejakma4682 3 года назад

Set MF mode to linear and you can focus properly.

• @TheHybridShooter

I’m not sure what do you mean, I always use linear mode. If you mean that it makes up for the poor AF, then no, it doesn’t.

• @hejakma4682
      @hejakma4682 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter I refer to 2:40 when you are talking about the focus ring. When i set the focus ring operation to linear, it just behaves almost like a manual lens imo and i have no problem with MF whatsoever.

• @TheHybridShooter

@@hejakma4682 Yes, sorry about that, I thought that this was different video with similar thumbnail. Yes, there is that option, I didn't know back then.

• @chaddonal4331
      @chaddonal4331 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter In the review you were positive about the AF. Now, months later, you are calling it “poor”. Has your impression of this lens (regarding AF) worsened over extended usage? My main interest is video, and I’m trying to decide between this lens and the 18-55 (the kit lens options).

• @TheHybridShooter

@@chaddonal4331 As I wrote above, I thought that I was replaying to a comment under different video about Panasonic lens.

• @andreif.2412
    @andreif.2412 3 года назад +1

I'm a bit disappointed there was no mention of how it compares to other zoom lenses. Obviously it's optically worse than the 16-55, but the big question remains if this is a better choice to the 18-55 and whether the 16-80 competes with the image quality within that 18-55 range, even if it might be softer at >55mm, but that's not the question being asked here.
    So far almost nobody was able to concretely answer this in their reviews, or even provide some 1:1 comparison shots at same focal lengths and apertures between the two.

• @TheHybridShooter

I didn’t have have both lenses available at the same time.

• @chaddonal4331
      @chaddonal4331 3 года назад

This is the desired comparison review I am also looking for.

• @jeremytheoneofdestiny8691
    @jeremytheoneofdestiny8691 3 года назад

Too expensive for just “adequate” and “just ok”

• @TheHybridShooter

That is a contradicting statement. It can either be adequate or too expensive, not both at the same time.

• @balboa0621
    @balboa0621 3 года назад +3

Let’s be honest: those corners are terrible.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +7

No, I don't agree with that, they are not particularly good, but acceptable, considering the size, aperture and focal range.

• @balboa0621
      @balboa0621 3 года назад +5

@@TheHybridShooter
      Compare to the m43 lenses in that focal range. Your own videos confirm that. Fuji sacrificed the corners for lens size. At 24mm equivalent, those corners are awful compared to the pl 12-60 or Olympus 12-100.
      Whether that matters to you is a different issue, but Fuji blew it with this lens considering they are branding it with their red badge.
      And to be clear, I wish they didn't. I wanted to like this lens--I was totally ready to buy it. But for hiking and landscapes, the corner performance of this lens made me change my mind.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +7

I never tested M43 lenses on this scene, so my videos definitely don't confirm that. This lens is quite sharp in the center, which makes the corners look bad. That is not an "issue" with Oly 12-100

• @balboa0621
      @balboa0621 3 года назад

@@TheHybridShooter if you are suggesting that the Fuji corners only look soft relative to the sharp center and that the Oly doesn't have that problem because the lens is uniformly soft, I don't think many people share your complaint.

• @TheHybridShooter
      @TheHybridShooter  3 года назад +9

Yes, I am suggesting that. 12-100 is optically average lens, but that is acceptable at that zoom range, just like the corners on this lens. It is all about having reasonable expectations.