Downside risk measures: semi-deviation, downside deviation, and Sortino ratio (FRM T1-12)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 7 ноя 2017
  • The two typical measures of downside risk focus on only the "bad" dispersion: Semi-deviation squares returns below the MEAN return, while downside deviation squares returns below a TARGET return (aka, minimum acceptable return, MAR). The Sortino Ratio divides by the downside deviation. [Here is my excel trtl.bz/1109-yt-sortino-frm-t1...]
    💡 Discuss this video here in our forum: trtl.bz/2qaIgFJ
    👉 Subscribe here / bionicturtl. .
    to be notified of future tutorials on expert finance and data science, including the Financial Risk Manager (FRM), the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), and R Programming!
    ❓ If you have questions or want to discuss this video further, please visit our support forum (which has over 50,000 members) located at bionicturtle.com/forum
    🐢 You can also register as a member of our site (for free!) at www.bionicturtle.com/register/
    📧 Our email contact is support@bionicturtle.com (I can also be personally reached at davidh@bionicturtle.com)
    For other videos in our Financial Risk Manager (FRM) series, visit these playlists:
    ▶️ Texas Instruments BA II+ Calculator
    • Texas Instruments BA I...
    1️⃣ Risk Foundations (FRM Topic 1)
    • Risk Foundations (FRM ...
    2️⃣ Quantitative Analysis (FRM Topic 2)
    • Quantitative Analysis ...
    3️⃣ Financial Markets and Products: Intro to Derivatives (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 1-7)
    • Financial Markets and ...
    4️⃣ Financial Markets and Products: Option Trading Strategies (FRM Topic 3, Hull Ch 10-12)
    • Financial Markets and ...
    ▶️ FM&P: Intro to Derivatives: Exotic options (FRM Topic 3)
    • FM&P: Intro to Derivat...
    4️⃣ Valuation and Risk Models (FRM Topic 4)
    • Valuation and RIsk Mod...
    5️⃣ Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    • Market Risk (FRM Topic 5)
    Coming Soon ....
    6️⃣ Credit Risk (FRM Topic 6)
    7️⃣ Operational Risk (FRM Topic 7)
    8️⃣ Investment Risk (FRM Topic 8)
    9️⃣ Current Issues (FRM Topic 9)
    ▶️ For videos in our Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) series, visit these playlists:
    Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1 Volume 1
    • Level 1 Chartered Fina...
    #bionicturtle #risk #financialriskmanager #FRM #finance #expertfinance
    Our videos carefully comply with U.S. copyright law which we take seriously. Any third-party images used in this video honor their specific license agreements. We occasionally purchase images with our account under a royalty-free license at 123rf.com (see www.123rf.com/license.php); we also use free and purchased images from our account at canva.com (see about.canva.com/license-agree.... In particular, the new thumbnails are generated in canva.com. Please contact support@bionicturtle.com or davidh@bionicturtle.com if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Комментарии • 19

• @erikapp1088
    @erikapp1088 3 года назад +2

been trying to get an excel for this for like 3 months and found it here,,,great work Bionic

• @boogersincoffee
    @boogersincoffee 4 года назад

Learned this concept on my own and have been mistakenly NULLing the zeroes until now. This vid was exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

• @complextheory9529
    @complextheory9529 5 лет назад +1

fantastic material

• @davidepacella1879
    @davidepacella1879 4 года назад

Thanks, very helpful.

• @tylerjones4812
    @tylerjones4812 3 года назад

Hello, thank you for the informative video. I'm wondering if you have ever had discussions with statisticians about the proper treatment of downside deviation if there are no data points that fall below the MAR in the set? This would lead to the sum of squared negative excess returns yielding zero, and therefore the denominator of the Sortino ratio to be zero leading to an indefinite value. I'm prone to say that in this case the set of monthly returns has no intelligible Sortino ratio or N/A but was wondering if you have other thoughts. Thanks.

• @xiaojialiu1844
    @xiaojialiu1844 6 лет назад +1

Thank you

• @salardelavarqashqai
    @salardelavarqashqai Год назад

Hi, thank you very much for your good training. Please prepare more trainings in the field of financial risks and stock portfolio optimization with regard to technical and fundamental information.

• @vishalpoddar
    @vishalpoddar 3 года назад

The Sharpe ratio calculated above is for 1 period. To calculate the Sharpe ratio for T period, S1 should be multiplied by sqrt(T).

• @valeriohoyos
    @valeriohoyos Год назад

Can you indicate how i can interpret the semi deviation in practical terms? i have read that "Put bluntly, this will show the worst-case performance that can be expected from a portfolio, compared to the losses in an index or whatever comparable is selected." would you agree?

• @liza_yot
    @liza_yot 5 лет назад

What is SQRT and how can I find it?

• @reelbigstudios
    @reelbigstudios 2 месяца назад

Are all the returns log returns?

• @lindading
    @lindading 6 лет назад +1

Why is it that when calculation semi deviation you divided by 8 but not 7. Shouldn't this be semi-deviation of a sample but not population????

• @bionicturtle
      @bionicturtle  6 лет назад +1

my sources (i.e, Carol Bacon, CIPM) all happen to use (n) not (n-1), but I do see your point, it seems like you can argue for (n-1) on the theory.

• @lindading
      @lindading 6 лет назад

Thanks for the reply. No worrries. I checked with some sources and they note it as n but not n-1 as well. I guess it's because usually we when we use semi-deviation, we usually have a lot of data.

• @DimitarDobrinov
      @DimitarDobrinov Год назад

Ok question here - for LPM (or target downside deviation) the denominator is total number of observations (incl. those above the average) in this case 8. But for semi-standard deviation shouldn't we include in the denominator only those differences that are lower than 0 (thus 4)?

• @maelpaumier5538
      @maelpaumier5538 4 месяца назад

@@DimitarDobrinov Here should be (4-1) = 3 as the demoninator. The video is wrong.

• @AA-pu8zf
    @AA-pu8zf 6 лет назад

I never thought adding positive returns to the variance made sense about the sharpe ratio.. Sortino ftw

• @QuaQuoHD
    @QuaQuoHD 6 лет назад

Haven't they told you that the Risk is dead? It died out of compassion to mankind.