Volvo XC90 Oil Consumption disassembly 2.0 twin charged T6

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 9 сен 2024
  • This is just a quick slide show just for you to see the Volvo 4 cylinder 2.0 twin charged disassembly, I have a camcorder on order to record POV videos Please subscribe to see more and if you like the video click the thumps up. you can also fallow me on Instagram at thevolvoguy22
    Thank you.

Комментарии • 136

• @nicholash8021
    @nicholash8021 2 года назад +7

The most useful part of this video is that it confirms the pistons can be removed without removing the entire engine.

• @KGlaus
    @KGlaus 9 месяцев назад +1

I’m hoping you could help me with an issue I have with Volvo. My car is a 2016 XC 90. I had an oil consumption issue that was taken care of by Volvo in May 2023. November 2023 the car shook and completely died while driving.
    Volvo is blaming this on the cylinders and camshaft. My question is would these parts ( the cylinders and camshaft ) have to be disassembled during the time the oil consumption was being fixed? They’re trying to tell me that this is unrelated to the oil consumption issue but I feel like they may have had to remove these items to get to the Pistons. I could be wrong, but I would like a professional opinion. Also with this car, I had absolutely no lights on the dashboard indicating an issue Before this happened Thank you for your help.

• @looncraz
      @looncraz 8 месяцев назад

If they did the piston rings, they 100% had to remove the camshafts (the whole head, in fact, in which the camshafts reside, would have been removed). If the cylinders are damaged then there's a good chance they didn't properly end gap the piston rings on replacement (which is a REALLY common step to skip)... or some foreign debris found its way into a cylinder... the wrong end gap would easily cause the engine to seize up and die a rapid, possibly violent, death... the engine will likely require replacement.

• @karlfredriksen6965
    @karlfredriksen6965 4 месяца назад +1

How did you get the chain off the oil pump? Did you remove the sprocket or can you get enough tension in the chain to slip it off?

• @dennisevans8534
      @dennisevans8534 2 месяца назад

You can definetly get enough tension out of the chain. The sprocket is extemely tight and I would not recommend removing from there.

• @milkman3797
    @milkman3797 4 года назад +4

I dont know if anyone knows but what is the conditions set for the supercharger clutch to be activated? Obviously under load at lower half of rpm scale but im wondering about highway use. Thats a lot of wear on those fins to be spinning for hours on end especially if its heat soaked. Otherwise nice vid and organization

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  4 года назад +1

It's for lower rpms and heavy acceleration highway speed there is no need for it the turbo is more than enough once the rpms are over 1300 rpms

• @worth40mill
    @worth40mill Месяц назад

would you please give part numbers for the new pistons and ring kit

• @robertquinonez6310
    @robertquinonez6310 8 месяцев назад

I have an 2017 XC90 T6. It lost turbo and also started smoking out the tail pipe. I replaced the turbo and supercharger. It still smokes as it warms. I have done compression testing on all cylinders (155-160 psi on all cylinders), leakdown testing, pressurized the cooling system and scoped all cylinders. It does not appear to have a blown head gasket. Could this be leaking head valve seals? Car was ran low on oil (it was consuming a little oil before). I am pulling the head to inspect.

• @robotframework101
    @robotframework101 9 месяцев назад

What do you think about XC90 with diesel engines? Is it worth to buy an old one (2015, 2016, 2017) or do they have the same issues as the T6?

• @josephlee6422
    @josephlee6422 Год назад +2

Hey The Volvo Guy! Thank you very much for your great contents. I am looking at buying 2016 XC90 T5 Momentum with 79K miles. Do you think I have to skip this because of this bad piston and ring issue?

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

I would stay away from the 16s, not a good year, so many problems. I would say 17 or 18 T5 would be a much much better move.

• @OsamaAltobuli
    @OsamaAltobuli 4 месяца назад

Thanks for sharing these detailed pics of the procedure.
    Should the timing belt, serpentine belt, and supercharger gasket replaced with new one as doing this service work?

• @joseduranjr4963
    @joseduranjr4963 2 года назад +1

I’m subscribed! I’m interested in all your videos because you’re awesome! Fierce! Know what you’re doing! I appreciate that and your videos Rock!!

• @DavidGeorge-wp1kz
    @DavidGeorge-wp1kz 5 месяцев назад

I know it's been a while since this video but would you know where to get a repair guide for a 2016 xc90 ? Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

• @yamanymartinez4197
    @yamanymartinez4197 2 года назад +3

Can you do a video of how to remove the supercharger or main points instructions?

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  2 года назад +1

Am working on a lot of stuff now but as soon I get more free time I will.

• @user-nw7kf6nl2y
    @user-nw7kf6nl2y 11 месяцев назад

I have spent many hours around the first generation Volvo S/V 40 1.9T/2.0T 4 cylinder white block, and I have to say not much of the design has changed over 20 years.

• @muser4287
    @muser4287 Год назад +2

Great Channel!! Thanks for your commitment to helping Volvo owners/DIYers.I just purchased a 2018 XC90 T6, and noticed one day water coming from behind my rear view mirror. Checked sunroof drains and all looks ok, so unfortunately seems like I will have to drop the headliner to replace the sunroof seal like many have had to do. My bigger problem right now, and I think it's probably caused by the sunroof issue, is that my sunvisor mirror lights, 2nd row and 3rd row courtesy lights on ceiling do not work. Checked Fuse # 8 under glove compartment and it was blown. Replaced it and it blew it immediately, so there is a short somewhere. I ordered a wire tracer to confirm my thoughts and it really does have a short, but I have no idea where to start to find the short. I can not find a wiring diagram anywhere. Any suggestions please on how to start troubleshooting and where to find a wiring diagram? Thanks!

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

Most definitely, you have a short somewhere in the wiring in the headliner or possibly one of the components that get power from that fuse on the headliner. You just have to find it. As far as the sunroof water leak, the problem was fixed in 2017, and newer models so make sure no one had the headliner down pervisly and possibly caused the short and / or thar water leak.

• @muser4287
      @muser4287 Год назад

@@TheVolvoGuy any idea where to find the wiring diagram? Or any tips to finding the short?

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

@M User only if you Have Vida subscription

• @muser4287
      @muser4287 Год назад

@@TheVolvoGuy Is it something that i need or will help me to find this short much quicker in your opinion?

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

@M User shorts are easy to find, but you have to start by unplugging every component on that circuit, then inspect the wiring inch by inch if the short is till there with everything unplugged.

• @oscarquezada895
    @oscarquezada895 3 года назад +1

I’m looking at buying an 2019 XC40 T5 RDesign, do they suffer the oil consumption issue or any other problems.

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  3 года назад +1

No that year have the updated pistons and rings.

• @Im_The_Slep
    @Im_The_Slep 6 месяцев назад

Just bought a 2016 XC90 T8 at 100K miles
    No smoke out the tailpipe, looking at videos though just in case it blows up and I have to fix it 😂

• @user-ly1lo6io9j
    @user-ly1lo6io9j 4 года назад +2

I'm looking at an early 2019 xc60 T6, can I get your advice on whether to go for it or stay away? Appreciate your feedback

• @TheVolvoGuy

2019 should be okay I have not seen much problems at all I would go for if you like it. Good luck.

• @user-ly1lo6io9j
      @user-ly1lo6io9j 4 года назад +1

@@TheVolvoGuy cheers!

• @patrickmadden6340
    @patrickmadden6340 5 лет назад +3

I’m a t5 guy but how is it working on these new ones? Hard af or what? I haven’t got anything over 2009 lol. Seems like it took awhile just to get the valve cover off

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  5 лет назад +2

Yes it's more pain then the 5 cylinder engines. So much more tools needed vs the 5cyl.
      I own a 5cyl turbo Volvo xc70 my self I have close to 300k miles and it does not even burn oil. Am not a fan of the 6 at all.

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  5 лет назад

And the 4 cylinders is a whole different story turbo and supercharged engine crammed in.
      It takes 3 hours just to get the oil pan oil lol.

• @patrickmadden6340
      @patrickmadden6340 5 лет назад +1

The Volvo Guy damn! I’m not a fan either. I also daily drive a v70 xc tuned with a few mods. I’ve been through hell in that car and it’s still a beast! Just found your channel thx for the replies

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@patrickmadden6340 nice I just bought my 2nd volvo its 2005 V70 2 wheel drive with 100k miles it's in a great shape. 5cyl T

• @patrickmadden6340
      @patrickmadden6340 5 лет назад

The Volvo Guy great year too you’re gonna love that I bet. I got 4 now but I got an 850 with a 5 speed as a donor car for future mods. 09 hardtop c70, 98 v70xc and an 02 v70 xc. It’s interesting seeing you work on the 6 cylinders, I’ve been curious but they seem to have issues. Are they not that reliable?

• @omaralmonabhi8268
    @omaralmonabhi8268 Год назад +1

How can I contact you, I would consult you regarding an issue in my car , It is XC90 with T6 engine and I could not trust my dearer report regarding my engine status

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

On patreon www.patreon.com/thevolvoguy

• @BengalTiger
    @BengalTiger Год назад +1

Are you located in NYC area? I own a 2016 Volvo xc90 and want to find out if I have the same faulty piston ring installed in my car. I do most of the work myself in my car. I recently watched one of your video, what ever problems you mentioned I faced all of them. I replaced O2 sensor, fuel pressure sensor, oil leak was the big one, which I had to go the dealer $1300 job. Now you scared me with the oil consumption. Hope I have the correct piston ring on my car. Can I find out if my car may have the faulty ring installed. Thank you

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

I am in NY, but not the city. If the rings have been replaced with the new design, that means the pistons and the rings have been replaced with the correct ones.

• @BengalTiger
      @BengalTiger Год назад

@@TheVolvoGuy I think camshaft seal was replaced not the piston. I drove little over 50k so far and haven’t noticed any oil consumption. Hope mines is ok. Thanks for getting back to me.

• @danielgoodarzi9511
    @danielgoodarzi9511 5 лет назад +1

I overall the b4204t27 t6 engine on xc90 2017 like engine that you opened
    Right now I would like to know how adjusting the camshafts and crankshaft timing
    Unfortunately I didn’t mark anything before open

• @TheVolvoGuy

So I have this video on how to set the timing for the I6 engine. I have 4 videos you can watch on it it shows all the tools needed and how to do it step by step.

• @TheVolvoGuy

ruclips.net/video/4ua9vQaNYHg/видео.html

• @danielgoodarzi9511
      @danielgoodarzi9511 5 лет назад

I saw that video but my engine is new 4 cylinder turbo! Can you help me on this engine

• @danielgoodarzi9511

The Volvo Guy thanks for your support

• @benhe5072
    @benhe5072 Год назад +1

Your videos are great help to people. I’m subscribed! be your fans. I kept watching them in the past 3 months because I own a 2016 XC60 T6 (used) B4204T9 with over 200k miles. It has serious oil consumption issues, 1qt 500miles. And recently cylinder 1 spark plug metal tip was broken in the engine while driving. Now It got a random misfire. The car is in turtle mode. Borascoped didn't see the scratches in cylinder1,2,3. does not take out cyclinder 4. I love this car and don't know if it is worth saving it. Worked on the car before, but never rebuild an engine. It's hard to find information. Can you help to provide the instruction? Thanks in advance.

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

You have to remove the cylinder head inspect the cylinders and replace the pistons and rings.

• @aminopa
    @aminopa 2 года назад

Is there a way to measure how deep the scratches are? or any visual scratch is an automatic failure.

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  2 года назад +1

If you run your finger nail across the scratch and it catches your nail that is too deep.

• @chadkinelski7698
    @chadkinelski7698 2 года назад

We are looking at buying an 2016 XC90 with only 46k on it, manufacture date of Oct. 2015, would this XC have the bad style rings? Do all with those style rings eventually need the pistons and rings done?

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  2 года назад

If the pistons have been done then you should be good if not then it have the bad pistons and rings. Look for a 17 or newer its much safer.

• @chadkinelski7698
      @chadkinelski7698 2 года назад

@@TheVolvoGuy thanks, it definitely did not have the piston and rings done, the dealer service quotes over $7000 for the repair and sales was not willing to reduce the sales price, so we walked away.

• @roofmagicsoftwashingllc707
    @roofmagicsoftwashingllc707 3 года назад

Hi I plan to purchase a used 2018 or 2019 t6 xc90. My audi q7 currently has the same issue with oil consumption. How reliable would you rate the xc90 as a whole from 1 to 10. I don't want to be stuck with another problem car.

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  3 года назад +2

2019 is safe to say a good 9 out 10

• @mmachado
    @mmachado 4 года назад

Hello, do you have any kind of service manual for this engine? I have a 2015 Xc-60 entering safe mode under high load conditions (mainly accelerations and uphills) and neither the Volvo dealers or Volvo workshops have figured out what it is.

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  4 года назад

Is it intermittent? And do you have a check engine light on?

• @mmachado
      @mmachado 4 года назад

@@TheVolvoGuy It reduces with more engine runtime, even though temperatures stay the same.
      I had a reduced engine power warning (with a little turtle at the bottom), but no check engine light.

• @TheVolvoGuy

If that warning did come up that means you should have a fault codes in the system. In which it might help finding the problem.

• @mmachado
      @mmachado 4 года назад +1

@@TheVolvoGuy managed to read the car fault codes and there was none. Started to revise each fuel system part to check for anything unusual. So far spark plug gaps were off. The car got better with it correctly set up, but still not great. Will undergo checks on the injector in the next few days.

• @tmillner0682
    @tmillner0682 4 года назад +1

What cause the damage to cylinder wall?

• @TheVolvoGuy

The spark plug broke at some point and caused some damage

• @tmillner0682
      @tmillner0682 4 года назад +1

Is that common in those engines? That's very ford like

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@tmillner0682 no it's not common

• @fksloga
    @fksloga 2 года назад

What tools hold engine at oil pan ? Part number and tool for cam seals ?

• @TheVolvoGuy

All of that should be in my tool video

• @priscillasimpson7880
    @priscillasimpson7880 4 года назад

Hello, I just got my engine replaced by volvo last week. When we got it back I noticed a squeaking noise coming from the front passenger wheel when we go over bumps or move the steering wheel side to side. I see that you removed the wheels from the vehicle to repair this engine. Do you think this could be associated with the engine replacement? Thank you

• @TheVolvoGuy

Do you have a 4cylinder engine? Or what is your year and model of your volvo?

• @priscillasimpson7880
      @priscillasimpson7880 4 года назад

Yes, I have the 2016 xc90 t6 r design. So 4 cylinder turbo and super charged.

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@priscillasimpson7880 if the dealer rebuild the engine by replacing the pistons and they did not replace the engine then the suspension does not get touched if they replaced the engine the the suspension have be removed on the front.

• @priscillasimpson7880
      @priscillasimpson7880 4 года назад +1

@@TheVolvoGuy thank you. Yes, they replaced the entire engine. Thank you for your time and info! I have been driving myself crazy because of this. I'm taking it back on Wednesday to make sure everything is okay before we travel next weekend!

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@priscillasimpson7880 no problem happy to help and safe travel.

• @vido4eva
    @vido4eva 3 года назад

I'm about to buy a used 2016 t6 R-Design 50k miles. Should I take it a volvo dealer and ask about the oil issues or could you help me out by looking at the vin?

• @vido4eva
      @vido4eva 3 года назад

YV4A22PM5G1071621

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  3 года назад

If its a 16 it means it does have the old style rings unless its already been done. Car fax is the only thing can show it or the dealer ship.

• @vido4eva
      @vido4eva 3 года назад

@@TheVolvoGuy ok thanks will check

• @lylemcghee94
    @lylemcghee94 Год назад

Hey The Volvo Guy! Just subscribed, I appreciate your dedication to giving us all of this info! I just tore down a 2016 xc90 super/turbo. I have the head off now and the suspect cylinder (low on compression and blowing blue oil smoke) actually looks pretty good to me. Light scratches on the cylinder but nothing that catches my nail. Should I measure the cylinder for out of round before dropping pistons in this thing? I would really appreciate your input! Thanks, Lyle. Maybe we can email?

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

If there are no scratches, the cylinders should be okay, but it doesn't hurt to check

• @DavidGeorge-wp1kz
      @DavidGeorge-wp1kz 5 месяцев назад

Would you know where to get a repair guide for thos car ?

• @RandomYoutuber1023
    @RandomYoutuber1023 5 лет назад

Hi,
    I have the same car/engine. Is this a common problem with the SPA XC90?

• @TheVolvoGuy

It is a common problem on the early 4 cylinder engines Volvo have updated the engine we have not seen any problems with the updated engines. They have also updated the pistons and rings as a repair for the early engines.

• @RandomYoutuber1023
      @RandomYoutuber1023 5 лет назад

@@TheVolvoGuy did they fix it in the 2017 models? That's the one I have...

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  5 лет назад +1

@@RandomRUclipsr1023 yes they did but some of the early 17 did have the same problem. But if you send me your VIN I can let you know Monday for sure. Thank you.

• @danielgoodarzi9511

The Volvo Guy i hope you can gide me

• @TheHristooreshkov
      @TheHristooreshkov 4 года назад

@@TheVolvoGuy YV1LFBABDH1138923 can u check this pls

• @xenontetra1758
    @xenontetra1758 Год назад

Hello, just subscribed. Just wondering how much of a job it is to remove and refit the sump on one of these engines? I can see there's a bead of sealant run around the edges but are there any single use o-rings / gaskets that must be replaced? doesn't seem to be much info around regarding the vea engines. Thanks.

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

Are you talking about the oil pump?

• @xenontetra1758

@The Volvo Guy No I mean the sump / oil pan

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

@@xenontetra1758 what engine do you have?

• @xenontetra1758

@@TheVolvoGuy b4204t38

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  Год назад

@XenonTetra what year and model? The 4 cylinder engines are much more difficult to remove than the 5 and 6 cylinder engines.

• @igo470
    @igo470 3 года назад +1

What was the mileage on it

• @TheVolvoGuy

Around 35k miles.

• @qanononabong8491
      @qanononabong8491 3 года назад +2

@@TheVolvoGuy Unreal. Volvo should spend a little less on refining the interior of the car and more on the interior of the engine.

• @aminopa
      @aminopa 2 года назад

@@TheVolvoGuy Wow! How bad was the oil consumption or did the car overheat?

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@aminopa it would burn 2.5 qts every 1k miles. It did not overheat.

• @danielgoodarzi9511

Hi dear i have some questions on this engine can you help me??

• @TheVolvoGuy

Of course how can I help you?

• @TheVolvoGuy

Oh I see the 4 cylinder engine will also required tools to lock the camshafts on the back end of the engine also tools on the front with out the tools you will be able to time it.

• @danielgoodarzi9511

The Volvo Guy yes you right
      I make the order for special tools and now i receive the tools
      But i cant fiend any pdf or document which can guide me!

• @danielgoodarzi9511

The Volvo Guy dear can i have your whatsapp number?🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@danielgoodarzi9511 ok I will send you some information tomorrow on how to do it. Just give me your email and I will email it to you.

• @jamarshaw1614
    @jamarshaw1614 5 лет назад

Can you do one detailing how to replace MAP sensor?

• @TheVolvoGuy

What is the year and model? And engine

• @jamarshaw1614

2007 XC90 3.2L

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@jamarshaw1614 it is on the intake once I get back to work I will take a video to show you where and how to replace it. But why you want to replace it?

• @jamarshaw1614

The Volvo Guy I got a code saying for the barometric sensor

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@jamarshaw1614 this is must be a code from a Genetics Scan tool I deal with Volvo factory codes do you have the genetic code I can cross reference it to the Volvo codes.

• @qanononabong8491
    @qanononabong8491 3 года назад

Unreal. Volvo should spend a little less on refining the interior of the car and more on the interior of the engine.

• @stinkopants
    @stinkopants 3 года назад

So stay away from the new 4 cylinders...

• @TheVolvoGuy
      @TheVolvoGuy  3 года назад

2017 and up you should be good.

• @stinkopants
      @stinkopants 3 года назад

@@TheVolvoGuy
      For real? I've heard these 4 cylinders have reliability issues?

• @TheVolvoGuy

@@stinkopants have not seen much of a problems with 17 and up motors

• @robertquinonez6310
    @robertquinonez6310 7 месяцев назад

How can i tell if my early 2017 XC90 T6 has the old piston rings or the new piston rings? Is there a visible difference in the piston? I have the cylinder head out at the moment, i am wondering if i should replace the rings.