Struggles of a BUDGET VAN CONVERSION. Two Months to Convert this VW T25? (T3)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 2 окт 2024
  • [108] Back to the van this week, with only two months until we leave for Greece so full steam ahead.
    Our coffee machine - amzn.to/3SnV8mk
    Get your Ecoflow here uk.ecoflow.com...
    (affiliate links)
    About our boat:
    1980 Harborough Marine/Black Prince
    50' Cruiser Stern
    1.5 BMC Diesel Engine
    Completely empty, soon to be our water based retreat
    Have you subscribed yet?
    / danniandjoe
    Socials:
    Team - / danniandjoe
    Danni - / danniandherpassport
    Joe - / joeylessex
    Facebook - / danniandjoe
    Patreon - / danniandjoe
    Danni & Joe

Комментарии • 111

• @Vangabonders
    @Vangabonders Год назад +1

Love those high top vans!

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

We’ve always fancied one so bit the bullet!

• @johnsummers6820
    @johnsummers6820 Год назад +7

Love your videos. Please wear a mask, especially when cleaning up brake dust. That way you get to stay around longer and make more great videos.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад +1

Fair point, I’ve got a mask here too so no excuses, cheers!

• @EnglishVeteran
    @EnglishVeteran Год назад +6

IRO Taps, the clean drinking water and dirty water both pass through the same tap nozzle. May not be a good idea?

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад +1

Good point, wondering if a few seconds of rinsing would be OK, depends how bad the water is in the first place to be fair. If the locals drink it we should be fine

• @casparv
      @casparv Год назад +1

Most of Eurasia has potable drinking water, it's just chlorinated in many parts, which makes it taste yucky. Sometimes it's potable for the locals but just a little too dirty for tourists, but a few drops won't harm you.
      I think this tap setup would be perfect; looks nicer than 2 separate ones. Only if you would regularly want to use dirty water would I install a separate tap with a built in filtration system and a permanent separate tank.
      You can still use a separate water filter when filling up your "drinkable-but-potentially-foul-tasting" tank in those rare cases where tap water is unavailable or dangerous.

• @YellowPinkie
    @YellowPinkie Год назад +5

I'd advise against having the potable water in the same mixer tap as potentially runny tummy water. The non-potable water will sit in the tap and will contaminate the 'safe' water. It may even siphon back into the 'safe' container.

• @NeverTwoLateOurJourney
    @NeverTwoLateOurJourney Год назад +2

Another great vlog. Hope all is ok with the boat.

• @leroytrio5227
    @leroytrio5227 Год назад +2

Clean your rotor arm by rubbing it on the sidewall of a tyre. Doesn't remove any metal and prevents undue arcing inside the dizzy cap

• @glyn1782
    @glyn1782 Год назад +1

Excellent roll on next week 👍👍👍

• @DavidWilson-wx1du
    @DavidWilson-wx1du Год назад +2

Danni and Joe are you aware that the people who are off Grid can now claim energy help from the government.its worth looking at.Glad the camper is going okay couldn't you put a side pull out to give a bit of extra room cheers now

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад +1

Cheers we did see this & need to look into it!

• @tonyblake642
    @tonyblake642 Год назад

I might be a bit late to the party but if you haven't already change the rubber pipes to carb etc. super cheap but they are a pain when leaking especially vacuum advance.

• @bikepackingadventure7913
    @bikepackingadventure7913 Год назад +3

Problem with a two way tap that has had undrinkable possibly contaminated water in, even a slight amount of bugs could stay in combined part of tap. As soon as you use drinking water side, won’t this just allow some cross contamination of dirty water still in tap?
    I personally would not risk it. I would want drinking water on separate tap or system completely
    Thoughts 🤔🤔

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Yeah that’s true. I’m not sure how unpotable the water will be but a passing thought

• @alanglass8161
    @alanglass8161 Год назад +1

Maybe worth checking if you have carbon leads to the spark plugs, if so change for copper ones

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks will check & replace!

• @AndrewJohnson-on7oh
    @AndrewJohnson-on7oh Год назад +1

That 1970cc CU engine should be running on twin Solex carbs. Someone has put a single progressive Weber carb on it.
    Get it back on Solex for smoother running, and better fuel economy.
    It makes me laugh when folks think they know them better than the guys that designed them in the first place. A flat four engine will always run better with a single inlet manifold and a carb on each head, rather than a single carb via a split inlet manifold fighting to deliver to both heads in synch.
    Much harder to get it running smooth on a single carb for that very reason.
    Oh, and just for the record, I've been restoring T25's for over 20 years full time, I know these vans top to bottom.
    Good luck with the resto. 👍

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks for your time on the comment! Will have a look into swapping back over but budget constraints might mean a proper service & rolling road tune up unfortunately!

• @bobamos3628
    @bobamos3628 Год назад +15

Just a little hint on the idle issue. As a 47 year master mexchanic when we got a vehicle that has a carb fuel system that runs fine but has idle troubles, we use to do what we called the "Dollar ninetyeight tune up". We would rev the engine up quite a way and then chock it off with a rag in the palm of our hand causing a very high vacuum in the manifold. That would draw air flow from everywhere it can and this would release the idle circuits that are plugged up. Repeat it a number of times to clear as much as you can. Not that this is your issue but it is where we always started and the number of times that it cleand out plugged ports for a vehicle that has been sitting for a long time was amazing. Good luck.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад +2

Will give this a try thank you!

• @casparv
      @casparv Год назад +1

That's not even a crazy plan. I'm going to try it too on my carb, thank you for the idea!

• @bobamos3628
      @bobamos3628 Год назад

@@casparv Hope it helps. It's not always the answer and sometimes it only helps some. If the carb is a mess only a rebuild will do. But, we always try this first and you would be surprised at how often it worked. Anyway, hope it does the trick for you two.

• @RetireMentalityChallenged
    @RetireMentalityChallenged Год назад +1

I hate bolts as opposed to wheel studs with nuts, not that they can't be overtightened too. I've seen this before. Be sure to have something on the road that will get them off if need be.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Cheers! Yes much prefer studs!

• @RebelsInc969
    @RebelsInc969 Год назад +2

2 months ! I've been doing mine for 3years & it's still bot finished, engine blew 1 wk before xmas which has set me well back Again lol, well done with yours though 👍✌

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад +1

Hahah ambitious of us but we’ll get there!

• @henrywilliam8506
    @henrywilliam8506 Год назад +3

Two tips for you. Your engine sounds a little rattily when first started from cold. Next time you do an oil change use Magnatec Oil, it reduces wear on start up and secondly.
    Take your old distributor cap and rotor arm with you on the trip. (Just in case.)

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Cheers will make sure to swap the oil out!

• @aravind4090
    @aravind4090 Год назад +1

Great work hope may God bless you ☺️🙏

• @EnglishVeteran
    @EnglishVeteran Год назад +3

Over 20 years ago I owned an Orange T3.
    I have owned many VW’s, GTI’s, Scirocco’s, T4, T5, T35, Carver, and more.
    Can safely say the only Dog was the T3, never again.

• @sandyprosser805
    @sandyprosser805 Год назад +4

Well Joe what a palaver. You just get on with it and it looks brilliant when you get there. Very clever I think. Did wonder how boat was fairing on the river. My sister has a boat in Bristol docks, she sent me photos of the floods at Hanham wow. Hope your boat is safe and both you and Danni. Have better week.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thank you! We’re just up from Hanham!

• @richardsmith5249
      @richardsmith5249 Год назад

I used to work for the council ten or so years ago, and I remember all the flooding around there. Boats in the car park by the Chequers and the Old Lock & Weir, caravans drifting about on the river etc. The railway path up from the Staple Hill tunnel was like an inland waterway, too.

• @markwhitehead64
    @markwhitehead64 Год назад +1

Hi pal just come across your channel and just subscribe really enjoy your videos and really really looking forward to seeing more keep safe 😷👍🏻

• @cms9902
    @cms9902 Год назад +1

I'd be inclined to just replace the rotor arm with electronics. More efficient and less fuel consumption. Re taps, that would be too easy to make an error, especially when you are used to not worrying here in the UK, and most of Europe. How many times have people run a tap for hot water not realising they didn't swing it round to the hot side.

• @penneynoss9552
    @penneynoss9552 Год назад +2

Hi Joe, van is coming along. Stay safe.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад +1

Thank you! Getting there slowly!

• @sameshipdifferentday2024
    @sameshipdifferentday2024 Год назад +1

Love your vlogs. We are trying to make our own but the sound is always an issue. What camera and microphone set up do you use as your sound is always so good

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Ahh thank you we do try & get the sound as good as possible. We use a Rode Videomic NTG, which isn’t cheap & probably overkill but after watching a number of reviews it ticks a lot of boxes! Also watch tutorials on Think Media’s RUclips on sound editing etc. Camera wise we used an iPhone 12 Pro for ages & upgraded to a Canon Eos R7 relatively recently, bought a 2nd hand 17-55mm f2.8 lens to go with it but we’ll probably upgrade that lens when money allows!

• @sameshipdifferentday2024
      @sameshipdifferentday2024 Год назад

@@ItsOhJoe Thank you much appreciated

• @Bicyclehub
    @Bicyclehub Год назад +4

Really enjoying this series on the T25 and I think you are doing a fantastic job. I had a diesel T25 about 20 years ago and converted it, so I'm feeling very nostalgic seeing you do yours. I think you have a blocked idle circuit in the carb, or your timing is off. I use copper grease when refitting wheelstuds and torque them correctly. Not sure if that is considered ok but I've never had a problem.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Cheers for the tips!

• @sun-sea-solar
    @sun-sea-solar Год назад +1

No such thing as a budget conversion. It always spirals out of control. Good luck, like the van

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks for watching, hopefully we can keep the budget as low as possible!

• @annjarvis9300
    @annjarvis9300 Год назад +2

Well done joe working hard has usual good on hair cut hope Danni ok tc now the oldies 👍😊

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks for watching!

• @sparkyhobo3844
    @sparkyhobo3844 Год назад +1

Quick tip , use PVA glue ( any sort from screwfix etc) to paint onto any of the cuts your do to the cabinets and internal woodwork. Stops moisture getting into the cut edges ( particularly the chipboard) and turning to a wet weetabix!!!!

• @brianmahoney174
    @brianmahoney174 Год назад

Not to be a spoil-sport, but this extremely experienced air-cooled VW mechanic hears a pronounced bottom-end rod knock in your engine. Not keen to diagnose via a video, but would recommend you have a proper VW-Porsche old-schooler take a listen. They will ask about enigen miles and compression check too. hope you make it to Greece and back in high style, with no mechanical adventures en route!

• @DanTheManIOM
    @DanTheManIOM Год назад

on my 71, I used a 10 foot pipe to get the lug nuts off, the pipe would bend and and then "BING, Pop" and break free, yes I did break 2 studs, easy, hammer them out and hammer in the replacements....@15:40.. really hate boneheads - no reason to put them on that tight.

• @pactrain9625
    @pactrain9625 Год назад +2

It would be better for your health if you wear a face mask for cleaning wheels. The old dust on the wheel could contain asbestos.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

I’ve got a mask here too just forgot! Cheers

• @nicktdm5703
    @nicktdm5703 Год назад +2

Joined for the boaty bits but own a T25 with a 2.0 cu. Getting it running right is a tricky business. Get to know where all the vacuum lines go, clamp them up and have a look on the left side of engine to see if you still have an idle stabilization unit (green box). Look for "ratwell' guide to tuning and you'll also likely find links to running single (Weber/Pierburg) carbs. Good luck

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks for that I’ll do some research!

• @tomf4547
    @tomf4547 Год назад

I'm being controversial this time and not having any plumbing, gas or water. Had too many boats with pain in the arse leaks... 😁

• @transfixit
    @transfixit Год назад

Your idea of having two pipes one mixer for drinkable and non drinkable water seems nice on paper but in reality, the undrinkable one will contaminate the mixer so nothing will come drinkable out of it.

• @conorcousins27
    @conorcousins27 Год назад

Ive a similar camper..buts its a t4 German import.left hand drive..for sale..in ireland..any interest

• @martinworrall5888
    @martinworrall5888 Год назад +1

Never never let family borrow your tools, a definite no no.

• @martinworrall5888
      @martinworrall5888 Год назад +1

@@alanrichardson1672 haha no , never a lender or borrower be. Especially with me tools.

• @martinworrall5888
      @martinworrall5888 Год назад

@@alanrichardson1672 👍

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Not even a case of letting they just disappear! Need to invest in a locker I think!

• @martinworrall5888
      @martinworrall5888 Год назад

@@ItsOhJoe haha yes you do.

• @pelayorico
    @pelayorico Год назад

best you can do for your van is remove that engine and drop a golf, jetta etc 1.9TD

• @Cestmoi-q5d
    @Cestmoi-q5d Год назад +1

Twin choke DGVs always run pants on T3. Too slow velocity means fuel keeps dropping out. Best solution is to get it set up Bob on on a rolling road to get it as close as possible. It even then it will always be a compromise. Personally I’d fit FRDs or ICTs.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks will have a look into that if budget allows!

• @Bruceforsythe
    @Bruceforsythe Год назад +2

Hi Joe looks like you've got your work cut out there m8 your doing a great job love the blogs take care 👍

• @nunofilipe2071
    @nunofilipe2071 Год назад +1

Well done keep going pick project like these you are brave best Regards NUNO Portugal

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks for watching!

• @adriancastle9229
    @adriancastle9229 Год назад +2

Great vlogs. Just a note on wheel bolts. I had an old vw beetle. It has the same bolts as yours. I didn't do them up too tight but when it came to take them off I needed 6ft of gas pipe. They appear to tighten the more you drive. The problem comes when you want to change a wheel out on the road! Take care.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Oh that’s really strange, maybe a classic VW thing!

• @DanTheManIOM
      @DanTheManIOM Год назад

@@ItsOhJoe I say bullocks, freakin wheels come loose as you drive on beetle, I have lost at least 3 wheels on beetles, and a 70 bus, I bought was seconds away from launching, the main axle nut, -- I could tighten by hand ! hmm, I had just bought the bus and was towing it home 4 hours or more...

• @casparv
      @casparv Год назад

I'd recommend buying a cheap torque wrench and tightening the wheel nuts to spec, instead of sending it with the impact wrench where they'll only cause this same problem again in the future.
      Aldi and Lidl have sold acceptable torque wrenches for this goal. They're not very accurate but more than good enough for wheels.

• @phillipsharpe6459
    @phillipsharpe6459 Год назад +1

Who the hell put those wheel nuts on that tight, ? Alot of tyre shops just tighten them up with a windy gun and dont do them up properly, with a torque wrench, i make a point of asking when i have a tyre changed what are the nuts supposed to be done up to then watch them whenever possible, well done , 😁👍

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Tightest I’ve ever faced!

• @Bigblueone
    @Bigblueone Год назад

Smear of copper grease on wheel nuts is a good idea

• @samfish6938
    @samfish6938 Год назад

You loosen wheels before you use jack or the other tool

• @trevorsbarkingmadchannel4501
    @trevorsbarkingmadchannel4501 Год назад +1

Great vlog. Omg is there no end to your talents. Amazing. Hope the boats ok. Best wishes

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Thanks for watching!

• @vadmal5210
    @vadmal5210 Год назад +1

Love all these projects. There seems to be a new project behind all the ones you first present. Looking forward to the project where even the wood screws won't fit...

• @lynmoore8355
    @lynmoore8355 Год назад +2

doing a great job joe, love your vlogs well done..

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад +1

Glad you like them! Thank you!

• @matthewkeating-od6rl
    @matthewkeating-od6rl Год назад +1

great vid

• @tomf4547
    @tomf4547 Год назад

I'm working on my Vito conversion, on the drive. Shite weather makes it so much harder 🙄

• @tangs167
    @tangs167 Год назад +1

Well done there Danni, that was a lot to cram in to 20 minutes! Hope the flooding soon subsides and you're not left high and dry. Best wishes, Kevin.

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

It’s Joe 😂 thanks for watching!

• @tangs167
      @tangs167 Год назад

@@ItsOhJoe Sorry Joe, it's an age thing 🙂

• @robertcarter5491
    @robertcarter5491 Год назад +1

Don't use extension bars you loose torque with them get the pull bar or impact gun as near the nut as possible

• @robertcarter5491
      @robertcarter5491 Год назад

@alanrichardson1672 hi yes the further the pull bar or impact is away from what you trying to undo the more torque you loose as you are now trying to twist the extension bar as well hence the loss of tongue. Try it and you will see what I mean . Love the channel

• @ItsOhJoe
      @ItsOhJoe  Год назад

Ahh makes sense. To be fair on these due to the offset of the wheels it’s hard not to hit the side of the van without an extension

• @copeyskoichattingbubbles4775
    @copeyskoichattingbubbles4775 Год назад +1

Doing a cracking job ther my lad

• @rickonnye2001
    @rickonnye2001 Год назад +1

Glad to see you back 😊 nice video thanks

• @VehiclesvsfordDEEP
    @VehiclesvsfordDEEP Год назад +1

Happy new to you both. 😁