Lenovo ThinkPad T490 Review (Is it better than the T480?)

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 23 май 2019
  • A review of the Lenovo ThinkPad T490 14" Business Premium Ultrabook.
    The ThinkPad T480 has been one of Lenovo’s best selling 14" business laptops in 2018 and with good reason. Roll on 2019 and the eagerly awaited successor, the T490 has launched. Can Lenovo improve on the impressive T480 all-rounder? Let’s see if the ThinkPad T490 has refined on the screen, design and upgradeability.
    If you wish to purchase or need support for this device, please contact us at www.dovecomputers.com. We are Microsoft / Lenovo Partners.
    MUSIC:
    Buddha by Kontekst / kontekstmusic Creative Commons - Attribution 3.0 Unported- CC BY 3.0 creativecommons.org/licenses/b... Music promoted by Audio Library • Buddha - Kontekst (No ...
    Track: Flying High - Declan DP [Audio Library Release]
    Music provided by Audio Library Plus
    Watch: • Flying High - Declan D...
    Free Download / Stream: alplus.io/FlyingHigh
    Let us know what videos you would like to see from us!
    Facebook: Facebook.com/dovecomputers
    Twitter: @dovecomputers
    Instagram: @dovecomputers
    LinkedIn: Dove Computer Solutions Ltd
    We own no rights or claim to the TV shows and games shown in this review.
    Review model
    UK SKU: 20N30001UK £1499 + VAT
    Lenovo ThinkPad Pro Docking Station SKU: 40AH0135UK £150 + VAT
    Lenovo ThinkPad T490 14 inch Business Ultrabook Review
  • НаукаНаука

Комментарии • 233

• @Alex-wd3xq
    @Alex-wd3xq 2 года назад +26

i have the t490 i7 with a 400 nits panel and ram maxed at 48gb, its a beast, not many things you cant do with this laptop, bright display with beautiful colors, feels like it will last for decades, keyboard is a pleasure to type on

• @mnicp01
    @mnicp01 3 года назад +6

Nice review... I was hoping to see performance benchmarks against the 2 as well, as it is a comparison... but thank you for putting it together... overall nice...

• @bobbyv3
    @bobbyv3 5 лет назад +32

Nice review. Might want to tune down the music, though. Could barely hear you over the background music at some points.

• @jennielindsay4246
    @jennielindsay4246 Год назад

Thank you for the video I learnt a lot, very good 4 stars

• @KTPurdy
    @KTPurdy 4 года назад +27

When the T490 launched I hurried to purchase a T480 before they ran out. Yes, now that the T490 abandoned it's legendary hot swapp-able battery and upgradable RAM, it's less of a Thinkpad

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  4 года назад +7

Totally agree. Good news is that T480's are available used for discounted prices.

• @KaedeAnimation
      @KaedeAnimation 2 месяца назад +1

As if the chiclet keyboard wasn’t less of a Thinkpad enough. I bought a Fujitsu Celsius laptop after T490 came out

• @InsideTheGeeks
    @InsideTheGeeks 4 года назад +15

They should keep the T series upgradable and leave the lightness to the X line. It is really hard to find upgradeable laptops nowdays, thats why I went with the T480!

• @IamDoogy
    @IamDoogy 5 лет назад +177

X1 is thin and light.
    Stop trying to downsize the T series.

• @MrEhabYounes
      @MrEhabYounes 5 лет назад +18

What's sad is that there is even the Ts line (like the T490s) which is supposed to be the thin or compact variant

• @IamDoogy
      @IamDoogy 5 лет назад +18

Ehab Younes
      Good point. Even within the T line there’s a thinned down version. Hadn’t thought of it.
      Very poor market research or they don’t care what their customers want.
      They want to be Apple, I think.

• @MsRomanFed
      @MsRomanFed 5 лет назад +9

absolutely agree. I can't see the second battery in this laptop :(

• @pd5156
      @pd5156 5 лет назад +8

Ppl in lenovo are brainded imho. They could develop perfect laptop and they keep doing this. I mean 1 step forward, 2 steps back... And Im not writing about the keyboard - which i really like, even more than the old one.

• @IamDoogy
      @IamDoogy 5 лет назад +18

@@pd5156
      I know. I can't understand why they're intent on copying Apple instead of being Lenovo and keeping the T series a straight up BUSINESS MACHINE. Let the marketing people play with the X line or the consumer range of laptops.
      We need a practical, serviceable machine that IT can work on. Soldered in RAM? Built in battery?
      At LEAST, be able to SWAP BATTERIES, for gawd sake.

• @badral-balushi5911
    @badral-balushi5911 Год назад

Great review, but for some of us who are lenovo enthusiast we are used to the function key on its current lenovo place, so no change please

• @richanderson1275
    @richanderson1275 4 года назад +1

Thanks!

• @alexeymaksimets1698
    @alexeymaksimets1698 5 лет назад +2

As an ex-x220 user who had to re-paste the CPU I cant definitely appreciate this 11:13 after upgrading to t440p

• @suwaidi
    @suwaidi 4 года назад +10

Please avoid using unnecessary music and dont make them mask your own voice all in a sudden. Look at Mobile Tech Review videos, Lisa is appreciated for her very informative content and lack of using unnecessary music.

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  4 года назад +2

Appreciate your comments.

• @Milan-iy3pd
      @Milan-iy3pd 4 года назад

@@Dovecomputers tbh - the music was just too loud ... and maybe not matching enough

• @ananasie1211
    @ananasie1211 5 лет назад +82

Have you not noticed that there is a setting that exchanges func and Ctrl key

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  5 лет назад +7

You life saver! LOL

• @ExWEIMan
      @ExWEIMan 5 лет назад +13

You must be a new ThinkPad user. It has been an BIOS setting since the W510. Look in the Keyboard/Mouse settings and choose Fn and Ctrl Key swap.

• @bojanstanisic85
      @bojanstanisic85 5 лет назад

Install Lenovo Vintage software, you ll find it there...

• @pd5156
      @pd5156 5 лет назад +1

Like since forever lol :D. But this is really funny. They are trying to copy apple and overall trend for thin laptops and huge tracpads, but for some reason they keep that FN/CTRL key which I have to swap in Bios/software everytime... I will never understand Lenovo logic.

• @_bhavin192
      @_bhavin192 4 года назад

Far more better than some of the Dell laptops. They don't even allow it to be swapped :-/
      PS: I like the the default layout i.e. Fn at end

• @cotojesakra
    @cotojesakra 5 лет назад +30

The third USB-C at 2:31 (next to the tb3 one) is nt a USB-C at all, it's a proprietary port that's used with mechanical side docking stations.

• @TheRIZKYRAMA
    @TheRIZKYRAMA 5 лет назад +5

did you notice that there is an out of place music suddenly appears near the end of the review

• @captainpoopyshoes2023
    @captainpoopyshoes2023 5 лет назад +4

Please note: the graphic showing left side I/o is incorrect. That RJ45 proprietary Ethernet port contains only one USB type C port, not 2.

• @michh2836
    @michh2836 5 лет назад

ThinkPad 😍👌👍 Nice

• @lbenegas
    @lbenegas 4 года назад +6

I have a T480S, and it is an amazing piece of machine. Regarding the FUNCTION key, you can use the Lenovo software to swap it with the control key.

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  4 года назад +1

T480S is a great piece of kit! There will always be two sides to the Fn key saga 🤣😁

• @thats-no-moon
    @thats-no-moon Год назад +4

You can swap Fn and Ctrl in the 'BIOS' during startup. I kept my t480 though, run it at max spec mx150, i7, 64GiB RAM and 2TiB+512GiB SSDs -- will be good for another decade or two haha. Good stuff. :-)

• @theunknownman8909
      @theunknownman8909 Год назад

How’s the thunderbolt/usb c port holding up?

• @thats-no-moon
      @thats-no-moon Год назад

@@theunknownman8909 It's fine, never had any issues in any of my ThinkPads.. you have to upgrade the Thunderbolt firmware to >= v20 though because there was a problem with this where it would render it unusable.. That being said in general I don't like USB-C plugs very much, they always seem to be too loose and wobbly.

• @kartikkesarwani1320
    @kartikkesarwani1320 5 лет назад +33

You can swap the Fn key with Ctrl from the keyboard manager. You're welcome.

• @malditangbaog
      @malditangbaog 4 года назад

thanks man

• @RaivoLaanemets
      @RaivoLaanemets 4 года назад

On T480s you could swap it also in BIOS, probably in T490s, too.

• @TheEricsheng
    @TheEricsheng 5 лет назад

I would still prefer the FN to be place at the corner of the keyboard. The FN key has been place at the corner of the keyboard for decades. It just become one of the icon of ThinkPad. Just my personal opinion haha. By the way, great video

• @jorgemun
      @jorgemun 2 года назад

You can also change it in the Lenovo Vantage application or in the messy BIOS.

• @sohotcall
    @sohotcall 11 месяцев назад

Fn and (left) Ctrl can be swapped on BIOS. I just wished the buttons have same size so I can swap the key caps too.

• @MrMarxon
    @MrMarxon 5 лет назад +8

Why did you slide over fingerprint sensor?

• @curiousgeorge6921
    @curiousgeorge6921 4 года назад +3

Bought the t490s it's fantastic but i'l disappointed in not being able to add more ram..mine only has 8 ..but the price was too Good so i took it

• @tek2313
    @tek2313 5 лет назад +11

Why did they remove the external battery? Are they copying X1? So stupid

• @Jez2008UK
    @Jez2008UK 4 года назад +1

6:20s "Battery life is around 6-7 hours, under load expect 2-3 hours" - what does that mean exactly ?
    Does it mean that if I use my laptop for mixed 'normal' usage, ie emails, word, excel, some internet browsing etc etc I can expect 6-7 hours, whilst if I'm editing video, expect 2-3 hours ?
    Or, does it mean, that if I don't do much / hardly anything I could expect 6-7 hours, whilst if I'm performing 'normal' usage I can expect 2-3 hours ?
    I've just sold my laptop (a Pavilion HP) because it was unsuitable for work, I was using it for normal usage and I was getting around 3-4 hours.
    I'm thinking the T480 is the better option for me. I don't mind that it'll be a bit thicker / heavier, and I'm not looking for 64Gb of ram on a laptop - if I did, I'd say that I'm using the wrong type of machine for my requirements and a PC Workstation would be a better route for those types of scenarios.

• @porungashenron9469
    @porungashenron9469 4 года назад +3

Now this is a Cool college laptop. Not from its looks but the performance. And thats all Ineed. As long as theres thunderbolt, we can game brothers

• @atomicorang
    @atomicorang 5 лет назад

Has Intel ME been disabled? I guess the non vPro version if nit will have to do.

• @edgargabriel6640
    @edgargabriel6640 5 лет назад +10

just bought another T480-i7 / MX150 after specs were revealed-
    Much more flexibility.
    T keyboards lead the pack.
    For "thin and light" I've got an HP Spectre 13 x360 2019 model...

• @tgdhsuk3589
      @tgdhsuk3589 5 лет назад +1

thin and light should stay with t480s/ xi carbon
      also how is the throttle limiting core clocks?

• @edgargabriel6640
      @edgargabriel6640 5 лет назад

@@tgdhsuk3589 pretty much as expected.
      R15 650 in Multi core / 170 single core
      About 3300 in 3d fire strike etc.
      Interesting: my T480 i5 isn't much behind for CPU multi core tasks.
      For instance geek bench multi both close to 16000 mark

• @tgdhsuk3589
      @tgdhsuk3589 5 лет назад

​@@edgargabriel6640 i meant how is the thermal throttling with gpu and cpu used at the same time, there is an issue with a hard 70C cap on the gpu i believe, and that causes 100mhz on the cpu right?

• @edgargabriel6640
      @edgargabriel6640 5 лет назад +1

@@tgdhsuk3589 @Legendary Vegeta any measurement suggestions? for example 3Dmark is about 3300 in Fire Strike, 95° C, can't see any throtteling ...

• @AndyTurfer
    @AndyTurfer 5 лет назад +5

It still has an RJ45 - awesome! And Thunderbolt!!! I can't wait to get one of these and then slap Linux on it :)

• @AndyTurfer
      @AndyTurfer 5 лет назад

No user-replaceable battery :( Looks like I won't be getting one of these bad boys after all :( :( :(

• @-rhys
      @-rhys 5 лет назад +1

@@AndyTurfer With USB-C charging, a generic USB-C PD battery is your alternate second battery, rather than a proprietary Lenovo one. There are definitely some advantages to that, so it's not a bad decision on Lenovo's part. Having said that, the T480 is still a very appealing alternative, and it's nice to be able to consider going either route whilst that model is still available.

• @creatingwithcode1630
      @creatingwithcode1630 2 месяца назад

I just bought one today 2024 to drop a linux on. Great piece of hardware for 250 bucks. Just like new.

• @hyblidblackbox8847
    @hyblidblackbox8847 2 года назад +1

Thanks detail review... but touch screen is useless.... too much fingerprint....

• @antoespiga
    @antoespiga 5 лет назад +65

It fills a non-existant niche. It's worse, all around, than the t490s, harder to open, non user-removable battery and partially soldered ram. It's just thinner and lighter. If I want thinnest and lightest I don't get a T series, but everyone keeps moving in the direction apple set a few years back. Not to mention the heat disipation constraints of thin designs.
    Edit: 6 hours of battery life is terrible. I'm getting around 12h with an 80% charge in my T480. Really, get a T480, it's just better.

• @tgdhsuk3589
      @tgdhsuk3589 5 лет назад +2

exactly, even better ger a used almost brand new t480 for half the price and upgrade over time, just make sure to get a 1080p display and 256gb 8gb as minimum
      they go for £400-500

• @sohn7767
      @sohn7767 5 лет назад +1

Antonio and if that isn‘t enough, swap the battery and bam; get another half day

• @curiousgeorge6921
      @curiousgeorge6921 4 года назад

Why is t490s better?

• @antoespiga
      @antoespiga 4 года назад +1

@@curiousgeorge6921 It's been a long time since I did my research. But the T490s had better materials, is a bit lighter and, if I'm not mistaken the battery lasted quite a bit longer. Up until the T480 generation, the "s" series was thinner and lighter and somewhat "premium", but the non-s had better upgradeability: non soldered RAM, SATA and NVMe options, user-removeable battery and such. Now the T490 doesn't have any advantage whatsoever over the s, but has worse materials, worse screen options and less efficient cooling.

• @1337henker
    @1337henker 4 года назад

The fan is constantly running when the unit is in the Ultradock, Lenovo should fix that asap.

• @tonyprovideo
    @tonyprovideo 5 лет назад +21

I got the t480 recently rather than t490. Why? Because I prefer the air output to be on the left side to the right of t490. I have no faith on thinner chassis due to my belief that the current chassis and chip design isn't cut out for efficient heat dissipation. Lastly, I prefer to have a slot for battery.

• @tvthecat
      @tvthecat Год назад +1

Enjoy it while it lasts. T480 was the last traditional ThinkPad. After it becomes obsolete, there is not going to be another great ThinkPad for probably a long time.

• @henryatkinson1479
    @henryatkinson1479 4 года назад +10

No hot swappable battery is an instant dealbreaker.
    Lenovo has fucked up thinkpads.

• @Mandragara
      @Mandragara 4 года назад

I disagree. USB-C powerbanks are versatile and universal, as opposed to a proprietary battery pack. I think it's a sensible move, just a shame it didn't result in more battery capacity.

• @henryatkinson1479
      @henryatkinson1479 4 года назад +2

@@Mandragara Find me a 90+ watt hour USB-C battery bank for 30 US dollars then. Its not a viable alternative. Thinkpad batteries were cheap, reliable power. No USB-C bank will match it, not for a while at least.

• @Talwyn_Wize
    @Talwyn_Wize 5 лет назад

I'm glad they added the clips in addition to the screws - and maybe less screws too? I'm IT-support at a school, and we've bought the 470 and 480 for about 60 people the previous two years, and they really suffered from screws that kept falling out, and one student was even unfortunate enough to try and close the lid after the screw below the screen fell out, and cracked the screen as it was no longer mounted properly. Lenovo fortunately helped fix it. Every other month I still visit each class, tightening their screws, and none remain so. :(

• @videouploadsoyoucansee7293
      @videouploadsoyoucansee7293 4 года назад +2

How can a screw fall out unless the threads are stripped or opening cracked?

• @JH-no8sy
      @JH-no8sy Год назад

Sounds like user error. My T480 never had that issue. I’m also IT support and haven’t run into that issues with others I worked on.

• @Mico605
    @Mico605 5 лет назад +2

That function Key position is such a deal breaker for someone who does programming or a lot of typing, like myself...

• @OwzaB
      @OwzaB 5 лет назад +1

There's even a simpler way, using Thinkpad Keyboard manager instead of BIOS.

• @YoavRheims
    @YoavRheims 5 лет назад +4

Soldered RAM and only one storage are a pity. I'm sticking to my solid E480!

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  5 лет назад +5

True! The T480 size was perfect. Soldered RAM is the wrong way to go.

• @AM-cs8yi
      @AM-cs8yi 3 года назад +1

@@Dovecomputers my t490 only has 8gb ram soldered, i was able to add another 32gb for a total as 40gb of ram, not many things this can not do, also has an i7 processor its a beast

• @smspc8489
    @smspc8489 2 года назад

How to upgrade display adopter that is basic in T490s??

• @ayalavalva
    @ayalavalva 5 лет назад +12

No anti-glare on the 1440p screen of the T490. I don't like to see myself in my laptop screen like in a mirror : (

• @blazbohinc4964
    @blazbohinc4964 5 лет назад +7

Manufacturers have to learn that until Qualcom releases their 7W TDP chip (which beats the intel's 4 core 8 thread i5 U series 15W TDP), that 50Whr battery isn't enough. It just plain isn't! At least 65Whr for U series and above 90Whr for H/HQ/HK series 6 cores and 8 cores. I don't understand why everyone is satisfied with a battery life of less than 6 hours. Why do I have the laptop then, If I have to charge it all the time

• @maledetto1221
      @maledetto1221 5 лет назад +4

get the 480, with the biggest battery of 81Whr on a U series I was able to run it over 14h using linux while watching netflix and browsing

• @AdamQueen
    @AdamQueen 5 лет назад +2

That's not the USB-C right of the tb3 port. It's an ethernet interface for ThinkPad dongle. Yes, that's an ethernet interface for ThinkPad only adapter, the adapter contains no chips, but only converting the interface form factor.
    Not sure why Lenovo puts that interface for a laptop which already has a RJ45, maybe just to be compatible with side docks.

• @ninanico7194
      @ninanico7194 4 года назад +1

It has tb3 and mini ethernet interface both,don‘t worry about that. And the reason for having two network interfaces is that the mini interface is part of the Lenovo dedicated docking interface.

• @johnl9119
    @johnl9119 4 года назад +2

I am in the market for a new laptop over the next few months. I recently bought a Lenovo X1 but the colors were washed out (had a resolution of 1920 x 1080 anti-glare). Additionally track pad was very small and made scrolling difficult along with thinner keyboard that made typing less comfortable.
    I was looking at the specs for both they seem pretty equivalent if I go with 16GB ram and 500gb ssHD and i7 processor. It appears that main difference is that the t490s has less ports, is thinner, and weighs less. Otherwise performance is comparable. However can anyone comment if colors are washed out or to circumvent this, would I need to upgrade to the higher grade display 2560x1440? My only gripe is that it is glossy. Anyway to circumvent this or should I be looking at a different machine?

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  4 года назад

Did you go for the 14.0" FHD (1920x1080), IPS, 400nits, Anti-Glare Gen 7 model or the LED one? The IPS panel should be fine and the brightness is great on it. On the T490s there is one IPS FHD panel that is 250nits brightness, the more expensive model has 400nits which if your budget can stretch to is the better display option to go for.

• @johnl9119
      @johnl9119 4 года назад

@@Dovecomputers Thank you for taking the time to respond. The X1 that I had was the LED backlit one and I hated it. I don't want to make the mistake of buying a laptop with a display that has washed out colors. As I currently have a t440s and the screen was better than the X1 screen. Additionally with me being a medical student, I am around florescent lights constantly and the antiglare screen would be a help. Looking online, the t490s and p43s have a higher grade display of 2560x1440 but it has glare. Is there a glare deflector screen? I also looked at the Macbook Air and Pro. I hate the new Pro keyboard as it is difficult to type. I am a fan of the Air but hate the fact that it lacks ports. Weight is not an issue as my current t440s weights more than all the laptops that I listed and I do just fine with its portability. I also considered the t490. But it appears that there is no perfect laptop on the market these days.
      Ultimately, I want a laptop with good battery which both p43s and t490s have but I need them have a good screen as I am on my laptop a lot and the LED screen hurt my eyes. Any suggestions?

• @MrMmDonuts
    @MrMmDonuts 4 года назад +1

The review at notebookcheck mentioned some slight coil whine. Did you notice any coil whine on this laptop?

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  4 года назад +1

Read about that too. No I have to say I was hearing out for that and didn't hear it on the review model I had for several weeks.

• @Check_This_Out188
    @Check_This_Out188 4 года назад +1

When under load hot air is blowing to right side of the laptop? so if you use your mouse with right hand you will get sweaty ?

• @Mark.Watson
      @Mark.Watson 4 года назад

Yes. I guess they figure nobody will use an external mouse unless it's docked.

• @the_experimental_website1953
    @the_experimental_website1953 3 года назад +1

I think there is an option in BIOS where you can swap the 'Ctrl' and 'Fn' Key.

• @jorgemun
      @jorgemun 2 года назад

You can also change it in the Lenovo Vantage application. So dont need to mess with Bios : )

• @tjagoma
    @tjagoma 4 года назад

Leave the FN key where it is. That is Signature Thinkpad feature.

• @videouploadsoyoucansee7293
    @videouploadsoyoucansee7293 4 года назад +1

Does the heat exaust being on the right side bother you assuming you are a right handed mouse user?

• @Dovecomputers

No you can't feel the heat using an external mouse.

• @ManjunadhLolla
    @ManjunadhLolla 3 года назад

Please tell how to activate the Privacy Guard?

• @tinhnguyen5699
    @tinhnguyen5699 4 года назад +3

I love the square characteristic of T series, what the hell are you doing Lenovo ? Stop down size the T series to the X1 !

• @segameserver
    @segameserver 5 лет назад +6

the only one mem slot
    lol

• @Jamdat33
    @Jamdat33 4 года назад

did he just swipe on the fingerprint reader?

• @ShailenSobhee
    @ShailenSobhee 4 года назад

@6:25 why put a music that's louder than your voice?

• @eddieoconnor4466
    @eddieoconnor4466 5 лет назад +6

Just something I've noticed for a while now......I have worked with developers, engineers, content creators, musicians, and writers....and while there were one or two?......a large majority of them don't even NOTICE the sound of the fans!! I mean you take the average programmer?...and they're WEARING HEADPHONES ALMOST 95% OF THE TIME....and most other of the careers I've mentioned?...are either interacting with people on such a routine basis, that they too don't notice the fan noise,...the only ones who have mentioned the noise to me?...were the musicians, they might notice the fan in a dead-quiet studio, but most other folks don't. And while it might be an annoyance?....I would SO much rather HEARING a fan kick in when something gets too hot, than to hear NOTHING...and have my MoBo or some other component melt due to overheating. So folks?.....STOP complaining about, mentioning, or trying to put down the FANS in a laptop!....you'll find its easier to ignore it than to constantly point it out.
    Also?.....not to nit pick?...but it seems whomever recorded the audio for this vid, started the "Ending Theme Music" a bit too early?...as I couldn't hear/understand some things because of the "Circus-y" soundtrack playin'!....

• @zodywoolsey
    @zodywoolsey 5 месяцев назад

honestly, I'll never sacrifice my precious secondary battery. The T480 allows you to not only remove the battery, but hot swap batteries without the machine powering down.

• @cranknlesdesires
    @cranknlesdesires 5 лет назад

I don't want them to swap the fn and ctrl key, it's nicer for touch typing.

• @MnemonicCarrier
    @MnemonicCarrier 5 лет назад +3

I'm a die-hard Linux user, and a die-hard ThinkPad fan. At the moment, I have the following ThinkPads: X250, X260, T460, T460s, T470, T480. The T480 is a company issue laptop, so it's not really mine. I usually buy ThinkPads that are a couple of generations old because they usually run Linux flawlessly. I'm very tempted by the T490 (with the dGPU), but don't like what they've done in regards to removing the user-hot-swappable secondary battery.

• @level-zero999
      @level-zero999 5 лет назад

I am a Linux guy too. I got the T450s and the X250. Can you tell me which one is best to buy next for Linux?

• @MnemonicCarrier
      @MnemonicCarrier 5 лет назад +1

@@level-zero999 It really depends on what you intend to do with it. Will you need it to run compilers and IDEs? Will you need to do any kind of machine learning/deep learning? Are you intending to play Steam games using the Proton compatibility layer? Do you simply need a machine to browse the web, check emails, watch RUclips videos? Are you intending to do some light (or heavy) video editing?
      Personally, I have found the T470p to be a pretty good "all rounder". It has a dGPU (albeit not a very powerful one), and a "H" series CPU (so 4 physical cores, and 4 logical cores).
      To be honest, I haven't been overly impressed with the T480, but perhaps that's because mine doesn't have a dGPU. The fans are quite noisy and kick in quite often, the CPU is throttled, and the battery life is nothing to write home about.

• @level-zero999
      @level-zero999 5 лет назад

@@MnemonicCarrier ​Hi! Thanks for the reply :). First of all I am a freelance copywriter/business consultant so I work from home. I love the keyboard on Thinkpads, best in the world :D. Any I most write docs, have many tabs open to while multi-tasking and sometimes I do light gaming. TomB Raider 2013, CSGo , etc. I kinda like the weight of the T480 and I hate that the T470p is so heavy and has a trackpad to the left... I wonder which one to buy next... It's so hard. I also do not mind older models. So I am open to that if they are good. I run linux only.

• @MnemonicCarrier
      @MnemonicCarrier 5 лет назад

@@level-zero999 You would probably like the T460s. I have one, it's light, the keyboard is awesome, and the IPS FHD display is a pleasure to look at.
      Not sure about the "light gaming" side of things though. I have played Quake Live on this thing, and it worked okay after I turned down a few settings. I have a desktop computer (also running Linux) I use for gaming, and for tinkering with some machine learning/deep learning.
      I've never used a T470s, but I would assume it would be better than the T460s. I'm currently keeping my eyes peeled for a secondhand T470s.
      The other thing I'm thinking about doing is going down the eGPU path. Havne read a lot of positive things about eGPUs.
      BTW - the T470p does not have a numeric pad, so the touchpad is centered.

• @level-zero999
      @level-zero999 5 лет назад +1

@@MnemonicCarrier Okay great, I do not like the T460s, too much bad over heating reviews. I prefer to go up to the T470s or T480 or T470p you know. By the way I was looking forward a device with extended battery. I will look into the T470s or T470p

• @nullzero821
    @nullzero821 5 лет назад +4

why is lenovo still using poor quality screens in 2019? they should be using bright, color accurate 1080p screens as standard

• @Mankodong
    @Mankodong 9 месяцев назад

Whats the weight?

• @HenrikRClausen
    @HenrikRClausen 5 лет назад +41

This 'review' reads like advertising :(
    Based on what I have read, I decided to get a T480 while still possible. The T490 really isn't a successor to that one, it's just a cheaper (but not cheap!) T490s.

• @lorcro2000
      @lorcro2000 5 лет назад +6

The primary letdown of the T490 is that it has no removable battery, something which I really dislike. But unfortunately that's the way things seem to be heading. But at least it's still easy to open so you can replace the battery when it ages out, unlike on a modern tablet or phone.

• @mrzisme
      @mrzisme 5 лет назад +10

Henrik Ræder Clausen you don’t need to lug around extra batteries anymore. For $75, you can get their 14,000mah charging bay which will recharge your laptop and a couple phones at the same time, and give you 2 extra USB ports. It’s smaller and easier to carry than an extra battery and an extra battery costs $125. The t490 is the new sheriff in town, it beats the 480 on everything. Better cpu, better gpu, far better panel, 500 nitts, 100% color, top facing Dolby speakers and as a bonus the whole thing is lighter.

• @curiousgeorge6921
      @curiousgeorge6921 4 года назад

@@mrzisme so true man...

• @akshayshetye8718
    @akshayshetye8718 4 года назад

So whats the difference between T490 vs E490 basically looks and features same. But price is way less in E490 I'm too confused to make a purchase decision pls help.

• @Dovecomputers

The ThinkPad E14 as the E490 is now called, is a great 'value for money' version of the T490. There's more security features in the T490, lighter than the E14, docking station connector, better display options, better upgrade options, 3 year warranty to name a few. Really depends on your budget, usage and requirements.

• @BayuSanjaya
    @BayuSanjaya 4 года назад +1

exhaust fan in the right side is a bi NO-NO for any laptop, especially for right handed mouse user. it will burn your wrist.

• @aaronseet2738
    @aaronseet2738 5 лет назад +12

Yeap, that soldered 8GB RAM is such an ultra repellent. There was no option from the web site to pick a version with 16GB soldered. How is one supposed to max to 48GB? Does anybody manufacture a 40GB module?
    The most ridiculous thing was, the site chat support staff told me that in order to max 48GB, I'd need to buy an 8GB model first, _then bring it to the service centre for them to solder in a 16GB chip_ - how much work is that for everybody involved? Made no sense. Expectedly when I gave a local service centre a call, they confirm there's no such troublesome procedure; there should be a 16GB model, but that doesn't exists.
    Ultimately I went with the opinion of other ThinkPad owners - the only good thing the T490 accomplished is making the T480 cheaper, which is what I ordered in the end.

• @rae6261
      @rae6261 4 года назад

check again, there is, u can get 16gb onboard

• @aaronseet2738
      @aaronseet2738 4 года назад +1

@@rae6261 16GB option was not available at time/region of purchase. I've long since ordered a T480 and haven't looked back with regret.

• @cazatalentospereira
      @cazatalentospereira 4 года назад

@@aaronseet2738T490 posee una pantalla más potente HDR, hardware superior, diseño más delgado, mas liviana, Bluetooth 5.0, GeForce MX 250, procesador Intel Core i7-8565U; la única debilidad es la duración de su batería pero en uso o condiciones extremas

• @FdPros
    @FdPros 4 года назад +2

the first time i've heard someone say d-o-t-a 2

• @64kdawg
    @64kdawg 5 лет назад +34

HORRIBLE. Who tf cares about thinness and lightness? T Series were known as robust upgradeable battery swappable machines. If you can't handle a few extra grams that's sad.

• @jordbeets
    @jordbeets 5 лет назад +11

great vid but for the love of god.. lose the annoying music!

• @TheEricsheng
    @TheEricsheng 4 года назад

Please DON’T swap the fn and ctrl keys.

• @heiderjeffer7833
    @heiderjeffer7833 4 года назад +2

RIP Thinkpad.

• @freediverhd
    @freediverhd 5 лет назад +1

wow, never knew the laptop had a third USB-C !

• @j.p.9522
    @j.p.9522 4 года назад +4

The T480 remains supreme.

• @nightowl1654
      @nightowl1654 4 года назад

Why?

• @j.p.9522
      @j.p.9522 4 года назад +3

NightOwl16 You can’t add a second hard drive to the T490. They took away the secondary battery and the ability to hot swap an external battery. Soldered RAM means that the T490 can never reach its maximum potential of 64GB; the t480 can.

• @leanghak8198
    @leanghak8198 4 года назад

What difference between T series and X1 Cabon?

• @Dovecomputers

Not much in it. X1 Carbon is slightly lighter and thinner. The display panel options tend to be superior on the X1 Carbon too.

• @dodzdodz5358
    @dodzdodz5358 4 года назад

Nice laptop but BIOS settings is freaking me out. The virtualization is not working?

• @p00x39
    @p00x39 4 года назад +2

With the removal of the bridge battery system, they have turned this line into a pile of garbage. I used to defend the changes Lenovo made, especially the new style keyboard, but this is inexcusable. Same with only one memory slot. Say goodbye to dual channel.
    The worst part is that I'm still going to stick with ThinkPads because I need the trackpoint. My hatred for touchpads outweighs the downsides, still.

• @shubhidimri
    @shubhidimri 5 лет назад +1

why they changed the keyboard design and made shift key smaller

• @ExWEIMan
      @ExWEIMan 5 лет назад +1

Ten years ago my wife and I bought an HP with the smaller shift key. I kept missing the LHS shift key and constantly made mistakes cursing each time I did so, I vowed I would never buy a computer with a small shift key. I have been unhappy since Lenovo changed to the Chiclet style keyboard and have tolerated using them-I guess this is the final straw.

• @williams5976
      @williams5976 5 лет назад +1

cuz that is an EU keyboard, US keyboards are the ones with large shift key

• @shubhidimri
      @shubhidimri 5 лет назад

@@williams5976 All EU keyboards are like this?

• @williams5976
      @williams5976 5 лет назад

@@shubhidimri Yes, EU keyboards are the ones with small Shift keys and large Return keys. All laptop sold in the EU should come with EU keyboards by default. I'm not sure if Lenovo offers an option for keyboard versions since I'm living in the States where all laptops come with standard US keyboards. But you can doublecheck the Lenovo website, if they let you configure the keyboard layout, that will be the best.

• @shubhidimri
      @shubhidimri 5 лет назад

@@williams5976 then its fine if layout is changed for EU keyboards

• @AM-cs8yi
    @AM-cs8yi 3 года назад +2

if you can live with the non swapable battery this is better then 480, the 400 nits low powered display is great much more brighter can watch movies comfortably finally on it

• @ZAR556
    @ZAR556 3 месяца назад

T490 have better screen and lighter but less upgradable and fn key on ctrl spot
    T480 better upgradeable

• @Eulices360
    @Eulices360 Год назад

Is it worth buying this computer or a macbook pro?

• @Zeroneii3
      @Zeroneii3 11 месяцев назад

t480 used i7

• @zaori2785
    @zaori2785 4 года назад +3

Answer: no.

• @jio0721
    @jio0721 5 лет назад +1

I'm also considering this as upgrade to my SP3, mainly for software development and occasional photo editing while away. Just waiting for the 16gb soldered to be available. As this will be my first thinkpad, I also dislike about the position of the fn & ctrl keys. I know there is an option to switch these, but they could have made the buttons the same size so the physical buttons can also be switched.

• @aviatorsdream4686
    @aviatorsdream4686 5 лет назад +1

I giggled at the Fn Key thing. Not being harsh but Lenovo will probably never change it. It's been that way since 1992 and that's the way ThinkPad people like it. But there is a setting maybe in the bios to switch it.

• @Dovecomputers
      @Dovecomputers  5 лет назад

LOL, very true! Someone kindly told me you could change it in the BIOS. Thank goodness ;)

• @sonic-du1hw
    @sonic-du1hw 3 месяца назад

I think t480&t480s is better in genreral

• @ghazman6141
    @ghazman6141 5 лет назад +3

I don't think the T480 is that great anymore. I've already sent 3 back for motherboard replacement, as they have stopped displaying on dual monitors without a hard reset. I hope the T490 doesn't have this issue. It seems to manifest itself after the machine gets about 9 months old.

• @IamDoogy
      @IamDoogy 5 лет назад +1

Ghaz Man
      We’ll see but that seems like a quality control issue which, as such, is as likely to occur in the T490 as the T480.

• @ghazman6141
      @ghazman6141 5 лет назад

@@IamDoogy You can call it QC, and anything for that matter, but I've sent back 8 for motherboard replacement. Still, it is a good machine, I'll be sorry to see it go EOL from what I'm reading about the T490.

• @IamDoogy
      @IamDoogy 5 лет назад +1

Ghaz Man
      Yeah, from what I’m reading, they’re intent on becoming Apple, for some reason.
      With the soldered-in RAM and “permanent” battery in the T490, the T480 is the end of the line for me.
      I wonder if they’ve talked at all to the customers of their T range of ThinkPads.

• @ghazman6141
      @ghazman6141 5 лет назад +3

@@IamDoogy Mimicking iTards just makes you a lemming, IMO, so I don't know they are being followers. I can't justify buying P51's for Accountants and Salesmen though, and I'd hate to abandon Lenovo. Having Done HP & Dell, I never want to go back to that nightmare. Maybe they'll come out with a "corporate aware series" since they want to ruin the T series.

• @IamDoogy
      @IamDoogy 5 лет назад

@@ghazman6141
      I've looked at work stations too but it is overkill for what I need them for. Yes, I hope they come to their senses.

• @AndreasReinholdSchweiz
    @AndreasReinholdSchweiz 5 лет назад

It would be nice to hear the difference from the Speakers instead of just telling.

• @jonsunderland7708
    @jonsunderland7708 2 года назад

I strongly recommend getting the t480 or T14 over the T490.

• @solosecondhandstore5087
      @solosecondhandstore5087 2 года назад

how about T480s ?

• @jonsunderland7708
      @jonsunderland7708 2 года назад +3

unless it's a really good deal. I still wouldn't recommend that. the only thing you're gaining from the t480s is slightly thinner laptop. And you're losing the bridge battery system a deeper travel keyboard which feels great in your hands.
      So my answer doesn't change if you're going to go for something ultra thin anyways, get the newer T14 or the carbon. Otherwise stick with the t480. It's a 4 core processor and the bridge battery system. I can't overstate how all around great that laptop is.

• @solosecondhandstore5087
      @solosecondhandstore5087 2 года назад

@@jonsunderland7708 Thanks for your recommendation. Currently I have an E470 and I want to upgrade to a T model. I want the new laptop to be lighter than the E470 which is around 1.8 kg, but is easy to upgrade. T480s is light enough at 1.31 kg (according to Lenovo's website) and it has an upgradable RAM and SSD slot, but yeah, T480 is better in that aspect even though it is slightly heavier at 1.58 kg.

• @ivorgripes8440
      @ivorgripes8440 Год назад

@@jonsunderland7708 SSD nvme is throttled To 2 lanes PCI 3.0 with the T480 as it has to go through an adaptor. At least the T480s can fully utilize fast SSD. It is also one of the last "s" versions with an RJ45 socket. And yes soldered ram socks.

• @jonsunderland7708
      @jonsunderland7708 Год назад +1

Sure. There are little generational improvements. M.2 are a little faster and skip the whole adapter as it's bussed straight into the main board that's all good.
      But here I'm specifically recommend ing the T480 and or the T14 over the T490. Even so I would still recommend them over the t490s.

• @kashifkhan7868
    @kashifkhan7868 4 года назад

Hello sir how to.. Lenevo X250 bios password remove guide me

• @bentejames9747
    @bentejames9747 4 года назад

I Can’t hear you. Stop the Music ...

• @tgdhsuk3589
    @tgdhsuk3589 5 лет назад

no
    its not

• @graxxon
    @graxxon 3 года назад +1

Lenovo T490 is a nightmare. Worst design decisions everywhere. e.g. placing a phone near the touchpad and the computer lid magnetic sensor turns off the screen. The surface material is collecting dust and visible fingerprints everywhere. Software issue with Excel 2016, crashing when Excel lost focus. 2 USB-A one for mouse and headset and no more USB-A port left. I recalled every T490 and demolished all of them.

• @purushottamh
    @purushottamh 5 лет назад

I agree, need to swap fn key

• @mrzisme
      @mrzisme 5 лет назад

purushottam hegde you can swap control and fn key in the software

• @purushottamh
      @purushottamh 5 лет назад

@@mrzisme with due respect, no, how to change text on keys

• @mapperboy
    @mapperboy 3 года назад

Just called Lenovo US/Can (region) for order details on the T490 currently blasting out in my promo emails -there is NO touch screen option over here so is this strictly a UK model? And if so WTF -are you Brits the only user community that wants a touch screen PC. Also YES, you cannot customized these puppies at the time of order. 8 gig ram, measly 256 SSD on the models that have FHD (1920X1080) display. If you want to at least order same T490 with 16G ram and 512G SSD you have to LOSE the FHD display at make do with 1366 x 768. Lenovo marketing -get smart, these units are aimed at higher-end user community which wants the ability to order an upgrade configuration to RAM and SSD.

• @level-zero999
    @level-zero999 5 лет назад +2

If you hit the wrong key you are not a Thinkpad guy.

• @SamA-cy8eu
    @SamA-cy8eu 4 года назад +1

In Short: The the T490 is better than the T480 if you like being a sucker!

• @Anonymous-qp4zf
    @Anonymous-qp4zf 5 лет назад +4

Short answer: No.

• @data6800
    @data6800 5 лет назад +6

speakers are still a joke

• @AndreasReinholdSchweiz
      @AndreasReinholdSchweiz 5 лет назад

Do you have one? Or is there any Video with Speakers testing? I would love to hear if it is just a bit better ;)

• @data6800
      @data6800 5 лет назад +1

@@AndreasReinholdSchweiz i do have one - to be precise... the second one - first one was broken. i converted from a macbook pro to the thinkpad - pure sound downgrade... i mean it sounds almost like listening to earbuds lying on the desk...

• @joeneuman3799
    @joeneuman3799 5 лет назад

Why do we still have a docking station when we have USB-C type 3?

• @sianglee5403
    @sianglee5403 4 года назад +1

Terrible thermal throttling issue on these t490 and t590 with mx250 vga. No way these laptops can perform consistently for a even a minute at peak performance. Most of the time throttling down to 1/4 to 1/10 of actual speed!! Too slim design resulted the heat sink and fan system are under design capacity.. fans keeps running all the time and speed lock down at unacceptable levels... pointless to get one of these labtops.

• @hientheboss1
    @hientheboss1 4 года назад

Why do these review always obsess with Touch screen

• @yuan.pingchen3056
    @yuan.pingchen3056 3 года назад +1

No wifi/bluetooth/harddisk read/write activity led indicator ? WTF, it's worse and worse every generation.

• @chany0033
    @chany0033 4 года назад

nine minutes talking and you dont show the backlight keyboard..

• @Viktor007
    @Viktor007 5 лет назад +2

Wtf Ctrl and fn are swapped, that's a SIN!!

• @thunder145
    @thunder145 3 года назад +4

I prefer the T480, removable battery and ram upgrade

• @AM-cs8yi
      @AM-cs8yi 3 года назад

display is not as good though

• @thunder145
      @thunder145 3 года назад +3

@@AM-cs8yi you can swap display with model low power consumption ( same as T490).