Building A Steam Locomotive: PRR T1 5550

Поделиться
HTML-код
  • Опубликовано: 2 окт 2024
  • HELP THE T1 TRUST: prrt1steamloco...
    Thousands of different types or classes of locomotives were built during the steam era on America's railroads. However, only some classes survived into preservation, with the vast majority being scrapped. The Pennsylvania Railroad T1 was one of the more interesting locomotive classes that was not saved. These were unique duplex locomotives, built for fast passenger service in the mid 1940s. In 2013, a group by the name of the T1 Trust was formed with the goal of brining the T1 back to life by building a brand new locomotive from the ground up, one piece at a time. I had the opportunity to talk with four of the members of the Trust about this exciting project, the history of the original T1 locomotives, as well as what the future will bring for this groundbreaking project.
    CoasterFan2105 is the home of all sorts of train and railroad related video content. Stop by every Friday at 9 AM Pacific time for an all new railroading adventure and be sure to check out all of my social media pages @coasterfan2105 for even more great railroad content. Thanks, and I'll see you down the line!

Комментарии • 700

• @CoasterFan2105
    @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +172

Hey everyone, thanks for watching this video about the T1 Trust! If you'd like to learn more about the Trust, or enter for a chance at a free Founders Club membership, check out the link below:
    prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/enter-to-win

• @jeremykuehn1027
      @jeremykuehn1027 2 года назад

Nice

• @edenreyes4747
      @edenreyes4747 2 года назад +2

Why not have a race of Millard vs T1

• @opjaiswaljaiswal4905
      @opjaiswaljaiswal4905 2 года назад

Ki o iupuoi
      O

• @matthewpastrikos7383
      @matthewpastrikos7383 2 года назад +3

It's kinda sad that the T1 trust didn't reach their goal to reach $150,000 by November 1, 2021. Doesn't anyone want this class to be brought back from extinction like at all?

• @RishantYT747fan
      @RishantYT747fan 2 года назад +3

Hope it gets finished by next year I wanna ride it very hard !!!!

• @TrainGuru
    @TrainGuru 2 года назад +276

With great power comes great responsibility. And I have to say Mike, it’s fantastic and so great that you’re using your influence on the railroading world and bringing awareness to these preservation groups. Railroad preservation is criminally underrated and it is so great that there are so many of these projects happening around the country to just keep these Iron horses going.

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +17

Thanks so much! I'm happy to bring awareness to important preservation projects.

• @nolantherailfan5048
      @nolantherailfan5048 2 года назад

@@CoasterFan2105 I saw an old tender from a T1 will it be used on 5550?

• @JerryWick
      @JerryWick 2 года назад

@@nolantherailfan5048 close. It is from a Pennsy J1. Same Long Haul tender as used on the T1. Last of its type. Just need to add streamlining and it is an exact match

• @TranscontinentalRailfan
    @TranscontinentalRailfan 2 года назад +145

Awesome video! Looking forward to seeing this PRR icon come to life. The new T1 will also look great with K4 1361. The trust has my support.

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +14

Awesome! Thanks so much!

• @brianfalzon6739
      @brianfalzon6739 2 года назад +2

@@CoasterFan2105 And don’t forget about LIRR 39 too!

• @scootergrant8683
      @scootergrant8683 2 года назад +2

I hope enough support ensues that they can find a second loco to rebirth. The same group in the U.K is now on to their second with a third planned. The upcoming one is gonna be a beauty.

• @beccajohnson-choma1762
      @beccajohnson-choma1762 11 месяцев назад

how about 2 K4 locomotives? One for the railroad, and one for DOWT.

• @melodymcintyre8896
      @melodymcintyre8896 11 месяцев назад

Same here is going to be amazing i can't wait to see it

• @Chevyguy-1984
    @Chevyguy-1984 2 года назад +100

I CANNOT wait to see this engine complete! I hope one day a group will come together to build a New York Central hudson too

• @robertschmidt7625
      @robertschmidt7625 2 года назад +3

I was just thinking the same thing! I think it will happen!

• @JerryWick
      @JerryWick 2 года назад +13

I agree with you 100%. If we can croubd fund a T1 duplex, a Hudson would be child's play

• @omega1575
      @omega1575 2 года назад +6

Seeing a Hudson 4-6-4 would be amazing

• @Da1X_Builds
      @Da1X_Builds 2 года назад +6

With Henry Dreyfus Streamlining!

• @Remibiggestfan
      @Remibiggestfan Год назад +3

@@Da1X_BuildsAnd Pulling The 20th century limited tourist train with a preserved end car

• @scenariomckinney
    @scenariomckinney 6 месяцев назад +6

That is an absolutely beautiful locomotive!! As a train enthusiast and model railroader,this is the first time that I've seen this locomotive. I model UP and Southern, but this is a masterpiece, and I'm glad they are bringing it back to life!!!

• @tpmiranda
    @tpmiranda 2 года назад +33

I can't believe not a single T1 was preserved!
    Even in my Design History lessons we specifically addressed the T1.
    It's a shame none has been with us since then. Hope the effort reaches a good port.
    Cheers!

• @saaaahduuuuude1228
      @saaaahduuuuude1228 2 года назад +3

T1 is a gorgeous locomotive but as another student of Design, I find the Dreyfuss Hudson the T1 so often competed against to be far more striking. Well, this inspired me to work my ass off to start a Hudson trust, sadly those were all scraped as well.

• @d.e.b.b5788
      @d.e.b.b5788 2 года назад +3

It was more important to the PRR brass, that THEY get their nice fat salaries, than to preserve one locomotive. I mean, $30K to scrap each of them? And they couldn't come up with a way to keep one?

• @Romans--bo7br
      @Romans--bo7br 2 года назад +1

@@d.e.b.b5788.... Well Said!!.... and my thoughts Exactly, for decades.

• @HHopebringer
      @HHopebringer 2 года назад +1

@@d.e.b.b5788 in the grand American tradition, that brass took their golden parachutes and failed upward. Then Penn Central came along. (Sighs)

• @MainlineThruTheRockies
    @MainlineThruTheRockies 2 года назад +83

This is one of the most unique and interesting lost steam locomotive types, and I’m very glad to see that this is a thing!

• @oriontheraptor8119
    @oriontheraptor8119 2 года назад +40

Been a long time since I heard anything about 5550
    Good to know it’s still in production it’s also neat they are “modernizing” some parts of the design for modern convenience in maintaining it

• @petergarcia6905
    @petergarcia6905 2 года назад +7

I personally feel like the engine should be assembled in Juniata shops in altoona

• @chooch1764
      @chooch1764 Год назад

We’ll know where the locomotive will be assembled when they are ready to bring the frame and boiler together.

• @officialpennsyjoe
    @officialpennsyjoe 2 года назад +9

You did the right thing here CoasterFan2105. Pennsy fans like me hope that your collab with the T1 trust boosts the completion of this engine!
    Long live Pennsyland!

• @coppercruz3605
    @coppercruz3605 2 года назад +21

Amazing Video:) I didn't know the T1 Trust was building a Pennsylvania T1 steam locomotive, how exciting. Thanks for the video, Mike!!!

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +2

You're very welcome! Thanks for watching!

• @CustomiZe_
    @CustomiZe_ 2 года назад +59

Didn't realise the t1 trust was developed because of the a1 locomotive trust, as a brit that's very heart warming, plus they're on their second loco now P2 Prince of Wales which will be Britain's most powerful steam loco.

• @Leatherface123.
      @Leatherface123. 2 года назад +7

Maybe when we finish the t1 we can bring back the Dreyfuss Hudson or the Milwaukee Road F7

• @philiphowell1505
      @philiphowell1505 2 года назад

Are they going to ask the German company J.B Meiningham to build the boiler as they did with Tornado, plus a spare.

• @CustomiZe_
      @CustomiZe_ 2 года назад +3

@@philiphowell1505 yup the boiler shop in Germany is the only boiler shop left in the world that makes new boilers as far as I know, new one being made for tornado and a new one for Prince of Wales should be coming to the UK during 2022 i believe 😀 👍they might be making spares but i presume they will get the first one to try and fit before they make any spares

• @CassandraPantaristi
      @CassandraPantaristi 2 года назад

@@Leatherface123. I wanna see the PRR S1 steam locomotive to be brought back.

• @Leatherface123.
      @Leatherface123. 2 года назад +2

@@CassandraPantaristi that would be really something but it had huge flaws, wheelslip worse than the T1, turning radius, length, it was a nightmare to work on, it was illegally built due to how dummy thicc it was
      The S1 has gotten to me, I’ve been overtaken by it

• @couldyourepeatthat7182
    @couldyourepeatthat7182 2 года назад +9

We’re gonna wait almost 20 years for this T1 to see life again

• @jose109able
    @jose109able 2 года назад +26

It would be awesome if they also build a replica of the iconic 20th Century Limited with the steam locomotive of the Hudson Dreyfus.

• @wordenentertainment1997
      @wordenentertainment1997 Год назад +3

I wonder if the completion of 5550 will inspire other groups to come together and build a new NYC Hudson. That would be a very ideal locomotive for a new build for a few reasons. It is a proven and simple design overall for a steam excursion engine, its overall historic significance for American railroading, and like the tender for 5550, a former NYC Hudson tender still exists, now a generator car at Steamtown in Scranton, PA. That would be a money saving option for a new build Hudson.

• @Robertmitchell2121
    @Robertmitchell2121 2 месяца назад +3

I cannot wait to see this running on short lines and mainlines!

• @JackCarsonsRailroadVideos
    @JackCarsonsRailroadVideos 2 года назад +79

I love it when big channels like Your's brings awareness to preservation groups. Keep up the good work

• @rayjordan5935
    @rayjordan5935 2 года назад +3

I can’t wait to see this locomotive flying down the track!

• @Barb5001
    @Barb5001 2 года назад +3

I am old enough to remember when there were still a few steam locos still in operation. I grew up in a 3 RR town that included the ERIE and O&W RR.
    There is nothing as impressive as a steam loco in operation

• @mariahhaarstick591
    @mariahhaarstick591 2 года назад +4

They should also bring back the 4-4-6-4 or 4-6-4-4 Pennsy steam locomotives

• @louislamonte334
    @louislamonte334 2 года назад +1

It will be incredibly fantastic when this locomotive is ready for the rails and I plan to witness it in person when it does! I'll bet this project will be completed before the estimated time! Bravo, gentlemen!!!

• @saslovskykoslov
    @saslovskykoslov 2 года назад +11

seeing a T1 today, rebuilt from the ground up will be amazing to see completed in the future.

• @ItKyleBol
    @ItKyleBol Год назад +6

The Pennsylvania Railroad class T1 class steam locomotive was one of the most unique and controversial classes of locomotives ever constructed.

• @TrainSounds
    @TrainSounds Год назад +2

I wish they brought back the New York Central Hudson locomotives.

• @nileadam7336
    @nileadam7336 2 года назад +6

5550 is the William Afton of the Pennsylvania Railroad, it always come back.

• @MrMarshmallow26
    @MrMarshmallow26 Год назад +6

I can't believe I didn't know about this sooner. The T1 is such an amazing locomotive and I would love to see one of these on the tracks. I hope all goes well with this project!

• @michaelbenitez539
    @michaelbenitez539 2 года назад +2

I would like to point out that the T1 is the equivalent of the NYC J Hudson, which none were preserved

• @smitajky
    @smitajky 2 года назад +7

Here is an example of "Make America Great". When America was innovative and powered by conscientious and skilled workers. I would love to live long enough to see this in operation.

• @truckrobo147
    @truckrobo147 2 года назад +3

I'm just gonna say that building engines like this can bring a golden opportunity to bring back other locomotives that the US lost over the years including the gorgeous streamliners...I mean just imagine it. A fleet of streamlined new York central locomotives from the Vanderbilt all the way to the mercury....I hope I'm not the only one here who thinks that stuff like this can be a start for other projects like this....

• @Toaster844
    @Toaster844 2 года назад +4

Honestly I like how they’re rebuilding the T1 but in my opinion it would’ve been nice to see the PRR J1 come back to life. But I see why the T1 has been chosen

• @TheVeryLastOne
    @TheVeryLastOne 2 месяца назад +1

I can't wait to ride this thing when it's finished

• @grahamsawyer831
    @grahamsawyer831 2 года назад +16

always thought it a shame that none of those amazing streamlined steam loco's are running today. that would really demonstrate how different and striking they were at the time

• @saaaahduuuuude1228
      @saaaahduuuuude1228 2 года назад +2

That's why I've gone off the model railroading deep end. My streamlined New York Central Hudsons are the pride of my fleet

• @Strasburg_Railfaner611
    @Strasburg_Railfaner611 2 года назад +6

Now 3 pennsylvania locomotives are gonna run 643 running currently 1361 currently on restoration and 5550 currently being built

• @deloreanman14
    @deloreanman14 2 года назад +8

As somebody who's been with the Trust since almost the beginning (February, 2014), I want to thank you for shining a light on our cause. It has been astonishing to watch not only 5550 but the support and love for this once nearly forgotten engine grow. Sometimes I have to pinch myself and remind myself that yes, this real and I am a part of it. I don't believe the T1 was a defective design but rather, was the victim of circumstances beyond her control and that she will prove herself once she is given the chance. Thank you again for helping us give her that chance.

• @haraldisdead
    @haraldisdead 2 года назад +7

I just went and saw the progress today in Harrisburg. It's looking incredible.

• @LowgaenSchmidt
    @LowgaenSchmidt 2 года назад +8

Now someone needs to start building a new NYC Hudson. It blows my mind that not a single one of those iconic 200+ Hudsons never made it to preservation

• @BigBerk765
      @BigBerk765 2 года назад

Dude, I feel you! And the New York Central had a bunch of beautiful steam locomotives that were sadly and unnecessarily scrapped. Like the absolutely stunning 4-8-4 Niagara, 4-8-2 Mohawk, 2-8-2 Light Mikados and hundreds of gorgeous engines the NYC had. I’d love to see a new Niagara built! It’s regarded as one of the best, most powerful and most efficient 4-8-4 Nothern type steam engines ever made.

• @BenRichards227
      @BenRichards227 2 года назад

@@BigBerk765 I don't disagree about the Niagara's aesthetic appeal, but UP 844 is still in service and is 95% the same as a Niagara from a technical standpoint. A few cosmetic tweaks would transform it into a satisfactory facsimile, if anyone was so inclined. So nothing really to be gained by building one. Now a Hudson project, THAT I could get behind...

• @BigBerk765
      @BigBerk765 2 года назад

@@BenRichards227 A lot would be gained from building one. First off, bringing back a lost piece of railroad history. Second, showing off the best and superior 4-8-4 steam locomotive technology in working form. While the FEF might possibly share a lot of the Niagara’s attributes, they’re not exactly the same completely. The Niagara, though similar to the FEF, was still superior to the FEF and multiple other Northern steamers in terms of pulling power, top speed and fuel efficiency. It’s a gorgeous locomotive that shouldn’t have been scrapped and I, for one, would love to see one in person. To have probably the best 4-8-4 steam engine ever built come back would be a treat for any rail fan. Although, I get where you’re coming from. Seeing some locomotives that are most definitely extinct like the 4-6-4 Hudsons or the N&W Y6bs. Those would be great to see get rebuilt as well! One NYC Hudson steamer that’s probably my all time favorite from the railroad was the Dreyfuss Hudson! The passenger steam locomotive with the “Roman Helmet” look on the front. That was a work of art on rails!

• @coolleo149
    @coolleo149 2 года назад +27

Oh my gosh imagine if it started running next year! Awesome video mike!

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +5

Thanks so much!

• @NERRP2017
      @NERRP2017 2 года назад +2

it’s not supposed to be finished until 2023 but they could be done with it by early 2022 but it’s gonna be a wait and see

• @thehigsy
      @thehigsy 2 года назад +2

I think you misheard the completion date , its later this decade or early next decade, so its possible it won't be till 2030

• @d.e.b.b5788
      @d.e.b.b5788 2 года назад

@@thehigsy As always, it depends on the money. Projects can be done fast, good, cheap. Pick any two!

• @wisconsincentralrrfan298
    @wisconsincentralrrfan298 2 года назад +3

Excited to see this steam train back from the dead!

• @oleglesnoy9171
    @oleglesnoy9171 2 года назад

It`s really cool, that the group of people is build the huge steam loco, which no one saved to our days

• @nolantherailfan5048
    @nolantherailfan5048 2 года назад +5

British people get mad when I say railroad instead of railway bruh

• @southernpennsyrailfan8579
    @southernpennsyrailfan8579 2 года назад +2

In early to mid October I made a donation to this project

• @maxwellwalcher6420
    @maxwellwalcher6420 2 года назад +4

she's coming back and number 1361.

• @RimRimando
    @RimRimando 2 года назад +5

Dude that was mind-blowing to see rare trains!

• @stevehessle1959
    @stevehessle1959 2 года назад +7

Good luck with this project. After the success of A1 Tornado in the UK, we have 70 dead classes under construction including the famous P2 and Clan class among many, many others. We saved over a thousand steam locomotives, bit they are slowly wearing out and every 10 year boiler certificate costsore and more and more.

• @kevp9601
    @kevp9601 2 года назад +2

We Love You, Mister Mike Armstrong

• @SMTMainline
    @SMTMainline 2 года назад +3

It's amazing to see something like this actually being built. I find many major railroad creation/restoration projects have a lot of talk but not much action usually due to funding. It would be wonderful to see something like this riding the rails again and it would hopefully encourage people to bring back more famous locomotives which have been lost in time.

• @BnuuyBoi2005
    @BnuuyBoi2005 2 года назад +6

There are several other extinct steam locomotives!
    ATSF 2-8-4 Berkshire
    L&N 2-8-4 Berkshire/Big Emma
    WP 4-8-4 GS-64 Northern
    SP 4-8-2 MT-4 Mountain
    C&NW 4-6-4 E-1 Hudson
    And other locos

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +1

Yes, there are a lot of them, unfortunately.

• @raymondleggs5508
      @raymondleggs5508 2 года назад +1

Th emoast easy locomotive to build a replica of would be a Docksider You could even probably use an already existent 0-4-0T as a base

• @raymondleggs5508
      @raymondleggs5508 2 года назад +2

A Big Emma Berkshire is basically the same loc as a kanawah So you could rebuild one of the inactive Kanawah's into one and use one of the remaining tenders.

• @huntermossakajunkerman9646
      @huntermossakajunkerman9646 2 года назад +1

What about the Baltimore And Ohio EM-1 Yellowstone?

• @BnuuyBoi2005
      @BnuuyBoi2005 2 года назад

@@huntermossakajunkerman9646 those too

• @zigman8550
    @zigman8550 2 года назад +1

The Pennsey lives on!

• @jakcytorres6734
    @jakcytorres6734 2 года назад +1

I can't believe that they are going to bring back t1

• @09JDCTrainMan
    @09JDCTrainMan 2 года назад +4

I honestly don't care whether 5550 beats Mallard's record or not. If it does, oh well, no sense in whining about it, what's done is done. If it doesn't, then Mallard simply keeps the crown for being officially the world's fastest steam locomotive. 5550 may not be 100% like the original T1s, but she'll will at least be more efficient than them. I'm just happy that the PRR T1 class is being resurrected and I'm looking forward to what she'll be capable of, even if she's an improvement over the original T1s.

• @chaseinit1
      @chaseinit1 2 года назад

i bet the t1 wont almost destroy itself making that speed run like mallard did
      after the run she had to head to doncaster for repairs

• @kristoffermangila
      @kristoffermangila 5 месяцев назад +1

If you believe the stories of those old time Pennsy men, the T1, if not slipping, can run up to 140 mph. They just don't say it out loud, because in those days, it could get you fired, because the old ICC has a speed limit imposition in those days.

• @PersianYank
    @PersianYank 2 года назад +2

I would love to see an s1 brought back

• @fishxy2123
    @fishxy2123 2 года назад

I hope it all works out, I'm glad I have a chance to see one of historys great steam locomotives come to fruition.

• @michaelguy1125
    @michaelguy1125 2 года назад +4

I wish we could something like this in Wisconsin and build a new Hiawatha steam locomotive.

• @railkingsphotography7184
    @railkingsphotography7184 2 года назад +7

I can’t wait to see a T1 run so I donated $300 to help

• @levimccallum7722
    @levimccallum7722 2 года назад +4

"an anticipated attempt to break the world speed record for a steam locomotive"
    sorry, but I just can't help but chuckle at the thought of 5550 telling Mallard to just suck it.

• @jadonvargas2509
    @jadonvargas2509 2 года назад +1

I am for a new t1 but I have a respect for sir Nigel greasly and his a4 pacifics I don't know why that they want to brake the speed record I mean look at the past decades we can afford cars that are fast as a train,broke the sound barrier, went to space and can send mail faster then the speed of light. To me it's outlandish to do it today and to take it away from the crew on July 3rd through all of there efforts and having its center barring almost melted and running on rails that hadn't been replaced since 1910 just to bring the record home I would have no other locomotive to take and keep what she was gunning for cuz if 5550 took it then the efforts of Joe duddington and the rest the team would be for nothing. So please if anyone from the trust is listing please stick with the excursions don't brake mallards record she earned it as well the crew for what they achieved.

@TranscontinentalRailfan 2 года назад +2

The T1 will break the speed record.

• @brodieforsha2696
      @brodieforsha2696 2 года назад +2

What about a crew operating a T1 at possibly 130 mph I would think they would have been cheated out of the record. Years before the mallard was build a PRR E6 Atlantic set a record faster than Mallards, imo it should be recognized as the fast steam locomotive ever if we are talking about officially reported runs. The whole thing that mallard was officially reported going that fast just doesn't even make sense there are many official reports of steam engines going faster than Mallard but their not even mentioned. I don't know just doesn't make sense to me I hope when building the T1 they stay as true to the original blueprints as possible so then we can see what the fastest engine was and is.

• @TheOnlyTYRE
      @TheOnlyTYRE 2 года назад +1

@@brodieforsha2696 Without sufficient evidence they can't be officially noted down as records. There are specific guidelines that have to be followed and crew anecdotes, as believable as they are, aren't sufficient evidence.

• @chessiesystemrailfanman3741
    @chessiesystemrailfanman3741 2 года назад +4

I would absolutely love to see the same recreation of NYC J3 Streamlined Henry Dreyfuss 4-6-4 Hudson of 1938 with the Roman fin bisecting the headlight and Scullin Disc drivers. Oh if only!!

• @theextremeanimator4721
      @theextremeanimator4721 2 года назад

That was tried once.
      ...i don't know what happened to it, but it's dead.

• @thatd59ladlarry
    @thatd59ladlarry 2 года назад +2

They should’ve built a NYC Hudson or Timken 1111, change my mind

• @Cnw8701
    @Cnw8701 2 года назад +3

Hopefully we can get a new MILW streamlined locomotive built!

• @TalenGryphon
      @TalenGryphon 2 года назад +2

The Class F7 was a speed demon in it's own right. Iirc they still hold the record for fastest average speed on a revenue train

• @jeffreyrule8143
    @jeffreyrule8143 2 года назад +8

Thanks Mike for this wonderful video. I am un boxing and running my HO T1 Duplex today. I will be making a donation to the trust. Keep up the great work.

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад

Thanks so much, Jeffrey. Much appreciated.

• @matthewjachtorowycz2455
    @matthewjachtorowycz2455 2 года назад +7

If they get to build teh T1, someone’s going to build one of Milwaukee Road’s old streamlined steam locomotives

• @robertmitchell1272
    @robertmitchell1272 2 года назад +1

Cool whistle!

• @RioGrande486
    @RioGrande486 10 месяцев назад

If anybody says this is a replica, they’re wrong. 5550 never existed until T-1 trust. Plus, it has some differences from the original T-1 (Franklin Type-B valve gear, for example). Can’t wait to see a complete T-1 one in the 21st Century!

• @nolantherailfan5048
    @nolantherailfan5048 2 года назад +1

If high speed testing of the T1 is successful at 165 mph we can steal the crown from the Mallard of the fastest steam locomotive in the world

• @raydunakin
    @raydunakin 2 года назад +3

Wow, what a cool, amazing project!

• @curtisdaniel9294
    @curtisdaniel9294 2 года назад +7

This is Great! Bringing more Railroad History Back to Life! Thanks to you, Mike, and the T1Trust.

• @randallan8158
    @randallan8158 2 года назад +1

Aside from nostalgia, there a couple of very good reasons to build and restore steam locomotives: an EMP attack and a Carrington-type event from the sun. Both events will render all electronics inactive. No computer-controlled deasil locomotives will run. No modern cars or trucks will run. After such an event, steam locomotives will be the only forms of mass transportation that will still run...no electronics, just mechanical parts. You will need them to help rebuild the country.

• @alathir-gy4vl
    @alathir-gy4vl Год назад +1

I like the PRR S1

• @soarinskies1105
    @soarinskies1105 2 года назад +2

My god they might actually manage to pull it off

• @Tom-Lahaye
    @Tom-Lahaye 2 года назад +3

I'm very surprised how far the project has come to date.
    Creating a new build of this size, probably 3 times as expensive as Tornado due to the enormous size of all parts, was to be a very big enterprise.
    As far as fundraising is concerned, are there some lottery funds like in the UK where an appeal for a grant can be done to help to support projects like this? or has all to come from the private sponsors?
    A good thing is that the design is reworked not only to meet current mainline standards and code, but also to iron out some imperfections in the original design.
    It's actually the same route like the British A1 trust follows for their current new build under construction, the LNER P2 "Prince of Wales", here also the poppet valve system and leading truck are redesigned and all modern safety equipment is integrated in the design.
    These and improvements in steam pipe and blast pipe arrangements will make this new P2 the locomotive which it wasn't fully for the LNER.

• @just_a_missouri_guy6634
      @just_a_missouri_guy6634 2 года назад +3

America does not have historic preservation lotteries so the railway preservationists have to raise funds through sponsors and private donations. And yes, this build is similar to the P2 build in the UK, with changes from the original to make the loco better.

• @Pensyfan19
    @Pensyfan19 2 года назад +3

CALLED IT! I knew that 5550 would use Pueblo for their speed run. Too bad they didn't choose the NEC on former Pennsy trackage tho. Fantastic video on this project!

• @yeoldeseawitch
      @yeoldeseawitch 2 года назад +1

am i the only one that thinks this whole speed record thing is stupid? like what would you gain? who would care besides some american railfans? and is it really important to beat great Britain in every single thing?

• @Pensyfan19
      @Pensyfan19 2 года назад +8

@@yeoldeseawitch Yes...

• @whispofwords2590
      @whispofwords2590 2 года назад +7

@@yeoldeseawitch i think youre missing the point and making it out to be something bigger then it is. Its about curiosity and spectacle, like steam preservation pretty much is besides the purpose of having a historic record. They wanna see what this engine had the ability to do and what its full potentially really was. Its not some nationalistic competition, its not about who had the fastest engines, its about seeing what a class of machine whose life was cut short was actually capable of.

• @yeoldeseawitch
      @yeoldeseawitch 2 года назад +1

well its never truly going to be accurate to the original as its a replica with enhanced parts as well as being on a different trackage and such...

@TranscontinentalRailfan 2 года назад +2

@@yeoldeseawitch The T1 broke the speed record the whole time.

• @jacobramsey7624
    @jacobramsey7624 2 года назад +5

Great video!! I think these people can do it and I am looking forward to seeing it running down the track!! I was watching a video about the NYC Hudson and that none of them were saved. I think that locomotive would be worthy of being brought back from the dead!

• @lucase.garcia8026
    @lucase.garcia8026 2 года назад +4

Here in Argentina we have "La Argentina" by engineer Livio Dante Porta, a unique and wonderful locomotive... of which almost nothing remains, rotting on a dead track and victim of robbery and vandalism.
    Hopefully one day in my country there will be a team that has what it takes to bring her back to life... it would be very sad if she only came back to life through a scale model, and we wouldn't even have that of her.
    I really hope that the dear PRR T1 project will be done soon.

• @SteamCoal
    @SteamCoal 2 года назад +3

Грандиозный проект, Пенсильвания Дуплекс, была известна даже в СССР, как яркий пример дизайна.

• @madame-rosalitaduchesse7636
    @madame-rosalitaduchesse7636 2 года назад +2

Hi can you also count in metrical systeme because it s international and people from other countries nothing can imagine under nonmetrical mesures. It s causing pain in metrical brains. By the way...if this machine o e day runs i would like to see. So if you are building a steam loco...why some other group can not build a new lockheed connstellation?!

• @adventuresofamtrakcascades301
    @adventuresofamtrakcascades301 2 года назад +10

Rather interesting vid! This reminds me of me building a lot of trains like this in Minecraft at one point

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +3

Thank you!

@adventuresofamtrakcascades301 2 года назад +3

@@CoasterFan2105 the T1 in my opinion, is a really interesting looking locomotive. I love the right side of the thumbnail because the front looks like the time the WHOLE engine all together was delivered

@adventuresofamtrakcascades301 2 года назад +1

Not to mention that this year has been a butt-kicking year of many Railfans like me and you. Better than 2020 if you ask me

• @susboi9804
    @susboi9804 Год назад

the fact that the 5550 horsepower could match a modern diesel like the AC6000cw is suprising

• @mesenteria
    @mesenteria 2 года назад +6

A gentle correction (horsepower claimed at the 2:55 minute mark): as with all modern boilers of the time, with all the efficiency appliances, the T1's boiler produced roughly the same horsepower as did the best Northern type 4-8-4, so that would be upwards of 6000 hp when the pistons were cycling between 4-5 times per second.

• @Romans--bo7br
      @Romans--bo7br 2 года назад

mesenteria..... Please, tell me which Class 1's in the US, possessed "an upwards of 6000 hp" Northern... I would really like to know the answer to that. Thanks.

• @davefrompa5334
      @davefrompa5334 2 месяца назад

@@Romans--bo7br The Niagaras were at least close to that. That's why they were numbered in the 6,000's.

• @Romans--bo7br
      @Romans--bo7br 2 месяца назад +1

@@davefrompa5334... Dave, Thank you for your reply... I appreciate it. Yes, I had forgotten about the NYC's Niagra's.... Extremely Impressive batch in the "world of Northerns" for sure. I know there numerous drawbar power tests done on them over time with results from the high 5K's to just south of 7K.
      Great locomotives for sure.
      In many ways... wish we could go back to those times... when the USA.... WAS, a great country.

• @cosf918
    @cosf918 2 года назад +1

Fantastic project. Wish you the best of luck

• @tudrow6087
    @tudrow6087 2 года назад +2

I will make a donation. I sure hope they go for the speed record. If they put that baby flat out the record she makes will be hard to beat.

• @wjsj69
    @wjsj69 2 года назад +1

I just had a distressing thought; since these projects depend heavily on significant donations, and there are multiple projects, I'm worried that the funds will be too split up to get them all completed in a reasonable time. The K4 in Altoona being direct competition for funds for the T1 is not something I would want to be the reason for either project to stall. i.e. If I were to donate to both, and neither gets done in my lifetime, I'd rather donate to one or the other to at least get one done. Thoughts?

• @jasondecristoforo4882
    @jasondecristoforo4882 2 года назад +1

We also need an S1, Q1, and Q2 built

• @ROCKETRICKYH
    @ROCKETRICKYH 2 года назад +4

Godspeed to the T1 Trust. Absolutely marvellous.

• @FrederickJenny
    @FrederickJenny 10 месяцев назад +2

As neat as this project is, and I have donated to it, I am disappointed in how little they actually communicate with their doners. They promised a new letter every quarter and I have not seen it. I have asked how I can get more involved than just donating money and again nothing. I have emailed them consistently over the last two years and never hear from them.
    At this point if they get it done I will be happy to get a ticket on the train with my founders club donation, if they honor it. Real shame they dont try to do more to engage with their supporters. I would donate again if only they were more transparent.

• @ErichRaeder
    @ErichRaeder 2 года назад +2

Just a question, does the T1 trust accept donations from other countries, I.E. New Zealand?

• @Abin_Bhowal
    @Abin_Bhowal 2 года назад +3

Great Documentary brother. Keep it up.

• @channelsixtysix066
    @channelsixtysix066 2 года назад

An amazing engineering undertaking. LOL, I don't understand all the quantities and capacities quoted, because I only know Metric - but it sounds impressive. Very disappointing that no one in the 1950s saw fit to preserve at least one example out of a total of 52 locomotives. The latest metallurgy and fabrication methods are a huge bonus for the new T1. I'll jump in and say it would be appropriate for final assembly to proceed where Baldwin was based.

• @CassandraPantaristi
    @CassandraPantaristi 2 года назад +5

I would love to see the Pennsylvania Railroad S1 brought back.

• @Realohiorailroadproductions
    @Realohiorailroadproductions 2 года назад +8

Can’t Wait to see the replica up and running!

• @Posttrip
    @Posttrip 10 месяцев назад +1

It makes the mouth water! And, to think of the mechanical process in motion as this locomotive EXCEEDED 140mph!!! Can’t even imagine how steam could even move that rapidly from one side of the piston to the other to keep it all going.
    After this is completed, my appetite is wetted to see the ACE 3000 project revived!

• @DevonMopiedmont1143
    @DevonMopiedmont1143 2 года назад +3

I remember when the T1 was first announced I thought it was a scam then one day a pic came out showing they actually made stuff and my eyes lit up.

• @prairierailproductions6737
    @prairierailproductions6737 2 года назад +3

My hope is that someone will be inspired by 5550 and attempt to build a NYC Hudson or Niagara

@TranscontinentalRailfan 2 года назад +1

A hudson would be great. To make the project worthit, it’s gotta be in the Henry Dreyfus design.

• @AVeryRandomPerson
    @AVeryRandomPerson 2 года назад +8

Question: What's everyone's favorite steam locomotive?

• @thepuzzleguy5989
    @thepuzzleguy5989 2 года назад

God bless these men

• @21_Country_Patriot
    @21_Country_Patriot 2 года назад +3

That is VERY cool! 😎👍 It will, definitely, be very interesting to see, once it’s complete & operational.

• @AnimalsVehiclesAndMore
    @AnimalsVehiclesAndMore 10 месяцев назад +1

Not gonna lie, that light on the front of the T1 (particularly the unfinished T1 looks like a giant eyeball.

• @josewilson4994
    @josewilson4994 9 месяцев назад

Congratulations for all!

• @mariahhaarstick591
    @mariahhaarstick591 2 года назад +2

Imagine this engine double heading with prr 1361 when its restoration is done

• @texasandpacific610
    @texasandpacific610 2 года назад +1

It is sad the tender survived but the locomotives did not

• @graphtonix6607
    @graphtonix6607 2 года назад +4

Will you be talking about the SP AC-9 steam locomotives anytime soon???

• @CoasterFan2105
      @CoasterFan2105  2 года назад +2

No current plans, but that would make for a great video!

• @conducterbub150
    @conducterbub150 2 года назад

This is so cool! I love the T1!